The black and white Boston Terrier is an icon of sweet personality, easy-going attitude, and loads of fun. He’s a great choice for anyone looking to add a friendly, jaunty, “tuxedo”-wearing member to their urban family. He’s always ready to make you smile.
Have you thought about what it would take to make him smile, though? He has a great, huge smile to offer! Of course, you want to give him the best life possible, and one big facet of that is his quality of rest. As you know, dogs nap constantly during the day and sleep solidly through the night. That makes buying the best Boston Terrier bed for your little buddy highly important to keeping him healthy and happy!
What is the Best Dog Bed for Boston Terriers?
- Best Overall: Puffy Dog Bed
- Best Orthopedic: Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Luxury: ELUX Pet Bed
- Best Chew Proof: Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
- Best Affordable: Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Elevated: Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Best Travel: Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Calming: Best Friends by Sheri, The Original Calming Shag Vegan
- FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow Dog Bed
- Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
- Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
- WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
- Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
- Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
- Wild One Dog Bed
6 Different Types of Dog Beds for Boston Terriers
- Orthopedic – The purpose behind all orthopedic beds, whether human or animal, is to correct and alleviate deformities in bones or muscles. Orthopedic dog beds do this with their bed designs and quality, high-impact materials. There are no cheap, easily-flattening materials like polyester or wood chips in true orthopedic beds. Instead, they contain latex, memory foam, or the same kinds of things you find in human orthopedic mattresses.
- Pillow – A pillow dog bed is a general term for a dog bed shaped like a pillow, usually rectangular or square. They’re what most people think of when it comes to dog beds. What differentiates one from another is the filling. Some contain memory foam that bolsters and supports, while others have only polyester to offer. Check the interior ingredients before purchasing to ensure you’re meeting your dog’s needs.
- Elevated/cooling – Dogs living in hot climates or with heavier coats may need a cooling dog bed. Usually, they help cool down your dog by elevating him off the ground, or in a special design that lets trapped body heat escape. Your dog can’t tell you if he’s too hot at night in any other way than restlessness or heavy breathing, so listen carefully if you suspect he may need help staying cool.
- Heated – Dogs in cold climates or with short coats could need a heated dog bed. Your Boston Terrier may fit into either of these categories, being a smaller dog with a short coat. These beds either help keep in a dog’s body heat or through a power source, offer warmth in a way like your heated blankets do.
- Covered – If you’ve ever seen a dog bed shaped like an igloo, teepee, or with some kind of draped canopy, you’ve seen a covered dog bed. They are a popular choice with dogs who are more nervous-prone or who need help staying warm. It gives a nest-like space that provides a feeling of safety and helps him stay calm and collected.
- Sofa – Sofa dog beds are mini couch or sofa-like beds that are specially made for your dog. They are popular with owners who want something cute for their dog to lounge upon. They aren’t always the most supportive, but add to home decor easily, and can satisfy that itch your dog might have to jump up on your sofa.
5 Key Considerations When Looking for a Boston Terrier Bed
- Size – Generally speaking, Boston Terriers do not grow larger than 25 pounds. That means you will have to keep an eye out for a smaller dog bed. You want something big enough for him to keep all of his limbs from falling off, but cozy enough to provide a sheltering experience instead of an overwhelming one. Small dogs can tend more towards anxiety, so prevent this from developing by measuring your dog’s dimensions and following manufacturer instructions regarding sizing and weight.
- Longevity – Boston Terriers generally live from 13 to 15 years old; some can even live all the way to 18! The wear on tear on Boston dog beds will most likely be minimal, as his smaller frame and weight won’t put much of a dent on the bed. That means the bed you pick will probably be around for a long time, so choose a non-flimsy one that could endure all 13-18 years.
- Washability – While Boston Terriers probably won’t make a huge mess on their beds, they are shedders. One place you will find a lot of dog hair is on their beds, making an easy cleaning bed important. Plus, while your Boston only needs about two short walks a day to stay trim, he will probably bring in debris from the outside. Find a dog bed that has a removable and machine-washable cover; you’ll probably thank yourself later.
- Support – It’s alarming to see: your Boston is happily bouncing around the backyard when you see him kick strangely and get off-kilter. It’s a common problem with Boston Terriers, a condition where their knees pop out because of the way their breed is postured. Orthopedic support can help alleviate any pain, help prevent more problems from developing, and protect his joints. Seek your vet’s advice for specific details on your dog’s health.
- Accessibility – Some Boston Terriers remain quite small, and as much as possible, they should not be doing any extra leaping or jumping. If he had to leap in and out of bed, that’s a lot of extra wear and tear on his joints that’s just not necessary. Pick a bed that has either three or no walls that won’t deter his way to his next snooze.
Best Overall Dog Beds for Boston Terriers
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Bed for Boston Terriers|
|Puffy Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic ||CHECK PRICE|
|ELUX Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|ChuckIt! Travel Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Friends By Sheri, The Original Calming Shag ||CHECK PRICE|
|FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam ||CHECK PRICE|
|Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress ||CHECK PRICE|
|WFH High Memory Fiber Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Wild One Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
- White color
- Cloud print
- Orthopedic material
- Three sizes
- Bolster sidewalls
Best Overall Dog Bed For Boston Terriers – Your Boston Terrier will literally be sleeping on clouds on this luxurious Puffy dog bed. With breathable, high-density memory foam and bolstering sidewalls allowing plenty of space for him to lay his head and providing a sense of safety, it’s a cozy place for him to sleep whenever he’s ready to doze. In case of any messes, the Puffy also has a removable, 100% polyester microfiber cover that can go straight into the washing machine for easy cleanup. And for Bostons that are ready to pop up at any minute, there’s a non-slip bottom that won’t let the bed go flying when the mailman knocks.
Puffy believes so firmly that they have made an enduring bed that they provide a lifetime guarantee! If you’re not ready to make the full commitment, though, you can have your Boston try the bed himself for 101 nights. The bed will come to you via free FedEx shipping. The only downsides are the color and the price, as there’s only one color option available, and the price may be higher than others on the market. You have quite a bit of time to decide either way, however!
- Orthopedic memory foam
- Free FedEx shipping
- 101-day trial period
- Lifetime warranty
- Scratch-resistant cover
- Higher price
- Eye-catching cushion print
- Four walls
- Polyester filling
- Two layers of support
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed For Boston Terriers – One of the first things to notice about this Frisco is the price tag. It’s very reasonable for a less expensive but still decently-supportive dog bed. With its two-layer design, it gives support in the base, but also adds another pillow on top for dual support. Plus, the pillow can come in three different color options, making it easy to match your home decor. It also has soft, snuggly sherpa lining to offer, making it a cozy retreat for your Boston Terrier.
It should be noted that the materials aren’t entirely orthopedic, however. It is not memory foam-filled, but polyester. This will make it less durable over time, as your Boston flops onto it day after day, or as you clean it by putting the whole thing in the washing machine.
- Free shipping over $49
- Modern, fun prints
- Removable cushion
- Soft sherpa lining
- Less durable material
- Two bed options
- Rectangular shape
- LiveSmart technology materials
Best Luxury Dog Bed For Boston Terriers – The eLux bed specializes in making sure your bed is protected from messes. With its patented LiveSmart technology, this dog bed is protected from stains, moisture, and resistant against any scratching and digging your Boston might do. The interior is just as specially-crafted, and you can choose between the extra plush or memory foam option. The extra plush option contains cushy cluster fiber filling, and the memory foam version has orthopedic gel and bottom memory foam base.
If you’re hoping to decorate with the eLux, however, you are limited, particularly depending on the design, you select. There are either three colors with the memory foam design or only one with the extra plush. Another potential issue for your Boston Terrier could lie in the accessibility, depending on how big yours is. These beds are piled high with filling and could force him to jump whenever he wants to get into his bed, thus creating more stress opportunities on his vulnerable knees.
- Barrier protection
- Extreme durability
- High-quality materials
- LiveSmart finish
- Less accessibility for smaller dogs
- Flat, wall-less design
- High-quality support
- Waterproof liner
Best Chew Proof Dog Bed For Boston Terriers – There just aren’t a lot of companies out there that guarantee their products for 20 years, but Bully Beds is one of them. They will protect against flattening of their beds’ shapes for an entire two decades, which is almost unheard of in other dog bed companies. More importantly, they also guarantee against your dog chewing this bed up for 200 days after you buy it since it’s constructed with Kevlar-reinforced seams and proprietary BullyTuf material. With Certipur US-certified memory foam and non-toxic and non-allergenic materials, it’s still a supportive, comfortable place for your Boston Terrier to sleep.
The exterior was designed to resist stink and hair, which is handy against messes but doesn’t make for the softest sleeping surface. It’s also not the most eye-pleasing, coming in only two colors that aren’t modern or design-friendly, and the shape is somewhat dense. Also, since it has no walls, any Boston Terrier with more nervous tendencies could feel more exposed and less confident on top.
- Hair-resistant cover
- Waterproof liner
- Free shipping
- Orthopedic foam
- 200-day guarantee against chewing
- 20-year guarantee for shape retention
- Non-sheltering design
- Less comfortable surface
- Sherpa lining
- Polyester filling
- Three fun prints
- Two sizes
Most Affordable Dog Bed For Boston Terriers – When the large size is under $30, you know you’ve found an affordable dog bed! It’s a walled, rectangular shape with one lowered side for a sense of security for your dog, but also allowing for ease of access, which is helpful for your small Boston Terrier. Even though it’s less expensive, it’s still a cozy bed, with a soft sherpa lining the inside. Plus, you have your pick of three bold, fun prints to accentuate in whatever room you place this bed.
Where this Frisco falters is in the material; there is no orthopedic material, but instead, polyester filling this bed. This makes it more likely to rapidly lose its shape through regular wear and tear, and this bed is also the kind that must be entirely placed in the washing machine for cleaning, as per manufacturer’s instructions. Even on the gentlest of cycles, regular cleaning can compromise its shape and support because of the polyfill. However, it’s an affordable and adorable pick, so for the price point, it still may very well be worth it to you and your Boston Terrier.
- Great print designs
- Sense of security with the walls
- Soft, cuddly sherpa lining
- Free shipping on orders over $49
- Not as long-lasting
- Less durable
- Rectangular, elevated design
- PVC coating
- Steel frame
- Cooling design
- Three sizes
- Four color options
Best Elevated Dog Bed For Boston Terriers – If you live in the city and want to give your Boston a summer perch on your patio to survey the city below, this Frisco will be calling your name. It works almost like a hammock for dogs; it will cool him because it’s off the hot ground, and its PVC-coated surface is water-resistant, and won’t absorb any slobber or dirt. It is sure to last quite a bit of time, as its sturdy steel frame will be able to handle your Boston’s weight without a hitch. It comes in four cute colors, so you can match your backyard or patio easily.
While it’s a great outdoors or indoors option, it probably isn’t the best pick for every night use. Definitely choose another bed for your Boston’s regular use with more orthopedic support, as this Frisco has none to offer. You will want to care for your pup’s vulnerable knees, and sleeping every night on this bed without joint cushioning may exacerbate any issues. However, if you just want a nice little hangout spot to help him stay cool, it will do the trick.
- Breathable canvas
- Mess-resistant PVC coating
- Easy cleanup
- Quick assembly
- Outdoors friendly
- Assembly required
- Sleeping bag-like
- One size
- Nylon and suede materials
- Sack storage
Best Travel Dog Bed for Boston Terriers – With their easygoing natures, Boston Terriers are popular, constant travel companions. If he’s lucky enough to be flying, RVing, camping, or going on road trips with you, your Boston needs a sleeping spot of his own on the go. Chuckit!’s great solution is this travel pillow dog bed. It comes with its own stuff sack for easy transportation. You just need to roll it out, and its size and material make it easy to place almost anywhere. Once it’s go time again, just roll it back up and put it back in its sack, where you can easily pack it among your things.
Where the Chuckit! thrives in convenience, it is challenged in support. Clearly, to make a highly portable travel bed, they had to make it with lighter materials that wouldn’t be bulky to transport, which is why it doesn’t provide the most orthopedic support. For your Boston’s at-risk knees, you will want a heftier bed with more support long term, but for quick trips, the Chuckit! is unbeatable in both price and convenience.
- Free shipping over $49
- Perfect for travel
- Machine washable
- Limited support
- Nesting cuddler shape
- Soft shag lining
- Self-soothing shape
Best Calming Dog Bed for Boston Terriers – If your Boston Terrier is a more nervous sort, a cuddler bed could be what he’s been missing all along. They are great for anxious dogs, as their nest design allows for self-soothing and self-warming. The latter is also a major plus for Bostons, as their shorter coats can leave them chilly in colder climates. This Sheri bed’s soft lining is vegan, and great for your pup to cozy up inside. Its sizing is also perfect for Bostons, and the bed comes in two neutral but friendly colors.
The aspects of this Sheri that might make you pause are the polyfill and the cleaning requirements. Polyester is not the most withstanding, shape-holding material, and so while it will cushion your Boston, it won’t offer true orthopedic support. In terms of cleaning, the cover is not removable, so you have no choice but to put the entire bed in the washing machine for a thorough cleaning, possibly damaging the shape or lining in the process. Still, for the Boston who loves to burrow, nest, and cuddle, it’s sure to be a happy place.
- Free shipping over $49
- Very affordable in small sizes
- Soft sleeping surface
- Polyfill interior
- Non-removable cover
7 Other Top Rated Maltese Dog Beds
With nearly 700 reviews averaging almost five stars, this FurHaven has withstood the consumer use test of time. You can be confident that you will find a size option that works for your Boston Terrier, and that he will probably enjoy the insulating, weight-distributing memory foam and durable oxford polycanvas exterior. While the cover colors are fairly basic and nothing special, they are removable and machine washable, a huge bonus. The inside is lined with medical-grade polyurethane that deters mess.
Keep an eye out as you shop on Griffith’s site, as they often run neat sales that will help you save on this beautiful Griffith bed. On the outside, it could be a professional, human piece of upholstery, and its three color options are varied and modern enough to fit right in with your home aesthetics. On the inside, you won’t find any toxic materials, so you’ll feel at ease knowing it’s a safe sleeping space for your Boston. The cushioning is high-quality CertiPUR-US certified foams so plush, you can find them human Griffith mattresses. It’s a very comfy design, with a top layer of high-density memory foam, and a base of special orthopedic support for extra cushioning. Griffith offers a three-year warranty and a free return policy, too!
If you value all-natural in your everyday life, you probably want to extend that same eco-mindedness to your choices for your Boston Terrier, as well. That’s where this SleepEZ bed will come in handy! It decomposes faster in landfills than other dog beds made with conventional materials, though you won’t need to find out this factor for a solid five to seven years, according to the SleepEZ website. The key natural ingredient for their beds is Dunlop latex, a hypoallergenic, cooling, weight-distributing, and super supportive material. The exterior is also natural, with an organic cotton cover that unzips for easy machine washing, and even fireproofing properties. This SleepEZ bed is a great way to stay eco-friendly, even in your dog’s life.
This WFH bed is a looker, with lovely, plush microvelvet covering the surface that will only add beauty to any room in your home. It doesn’t just look pretty, though; it’s also designed for a bit of hidden toughness, as the top cushion is discreetly zippered onto the bottom, keeping it safe from destructive Boston Terriers who would love to rip it off and shake it around. While the WFH bed doesn’t contain memory foam, it has a fiber filling that gives decent support. The price point may make budget-minded owners balk a little, especially as even the small bed runs high, but comes in a variety of sizes and is made with quality material.
This is another wonderful bed choice for Boston Terriers facing a little more anxiety. Its adorable nesting shape will offer an opportunity for self-soothing and self-warming, putting his little mind at ease. It’s made for dogs under 25 pounds, which will accommodate most Boston Terriers just fine. In the summer, you can provide him with a cooler experience, as the bed flips to change temperature control, a nifty feature. The cover is removable and machine-washable, perfect for post-romp cleaning.
Layla’s pet bed isn’t the cheapest option, but its forward-thinking features may be well worth the price tag. One of them is essentially providing two beds in one though its “flippable firmness.” It’s a special way to make sure that your Boston gets the bed experience that’s best for him. For pups preferring a flatter, firmer surface, Layla has one side for that, but the other side you can flip for is a textured, more breathable option. You can keep it on whatever side is most appealing to your Boston! Another innovation Layla has thoughtfully provided is hygienic copper in its beds, adding a cool and cozy factor for your Boston. Its cover is also removable and machine-washable. Sound perfect? You can test it with your Boston Terrier for a full 30 days, free shipping, and a one-year warranty included.
This Wild One bed almost looks like a sofa dog bed, but while providing the wonderful support of an orthopedic dog bed for a visually-pleasing yet joint-protecting combo. It does contain tiered, virgin poly memory, and support foam, plus a PVC-lining to prevent any mess from reaching the core of the bed. Plus, the sidewall support will give your Boston Terrier plenty of options of where to rest his head on the double-layer of polyweave cover that’s not only durable and tough but removable and machine-washable.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best type of dog bed for a Boston Terrier? Boston Terriers are fairly low-key pets. They don’t need an overabundance of exercise, they aren’t hyperactive, and they just love being with their people. That should make most any bed a good fit for your dog. However, with their health considerations to keep in mind, Boston Terriers will most likely benefit from a higher level of orthopedic support, to preserve their knee joints. A bed where they can breathe freely can also be very helpful, because of their short snouts.
- Do orthopedic dog beds really help for Boston Terriers? Those dogs with joint or bone vulnerabilities benefit the most from orthopedic beds, and Boston Terriers face one particularly common joint issue in their knees. Because of the way their bodies were bred, it’s common that their posture faces a higher risk of something called patellar luxation. This occurs when your Boston’s kneecap, or patella, slips out of place, and sometimes is fixed on its own, but sometimes requires surgery. An orthopedic dog bed will cushion and comfort your dog’s joints, and so could be highly helpful. Your vet will know how severe or at-risk your Boston Terrier is, so consult with her before making a final decision regarding your dog’s joint health needs.
- Do Boston Terriers need comfy beds? Your Boston Terrier probably has a great, positive personality, and will happily accept whatever love and care you provide. You may not know yourself if he could use a bed upgrade, as he will likely not make it obvious that something better could help. Since most dogs sleep an average of 12 and 14 hours a day, he can either spend a lot of time on his bed, where his body’s needs are supported or the hard floor, where health issues arise from sleeping on hard floors constantly. Show him the very best care by finding him a comfy bed he will love, and it will help his health and longevity.
- Is memory foam toxic to Boston Terriers? As a sleeping surface, memory foam is safe. It’s an extremely popular sleeping choice when it comes to both people and animals who need extra support for a great night’s sleep. If it was dangerous, it would not be used so widely in high-quality, orthopedic mattresses. However, your Boston Terrier should never consume memory foam. These mattresses are made of synthetic ingredients like polyurethane and added toxic chemicals. This means that it’s still a safe choice as bedding, but do not leave your dog unsupervised with his memory foam bed in case he decides to snack on it, especially when he’s puppy age.
Boston Terriers have the nickname of “American Gentleman,” and it’s easy to see why people all over the world fall in love with them. When they look up at you with their wide, happy grins and black button eyes, as his pet parent, you can’t help but want to give him the very best. Taking great care of his sleep and joint health will help him reach not only his expected lifespan but possibly even beyond, so great job on carefully selecting the best bed for your Boston Terrier!