- What are the Best Brushes for Border Collies?
- 8 Different Types of Brushes for Border Collies
- 6 Key Considerations When Looking for the Right Brush for your Border Collie
- Best Overall Brushes for Border Collies
- FURminator deShedding Edge Dog Brush
- Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush
- Chris Christensen Long Pin Slicker Brush
- Mr. Peanut’s Hand Gloves Dog & Cat Grooming & De-shedding Aid
- KONG Dog ZoomGroom Multi-Use Brush
- Safari De-Matting Dog Comb
- Safari Dual-Sided Shedding Blade Dog Grooming Tool
- Andis Steel Pet Comb
- 4 Other Top Rated Border Collie Dog Brushes
- Frequently Asked Questions
Border Collies are amazing dogs known for their unbelievable intelligence and impressive energy reserves; however, once they have completed their missions, Border Collies need proper grooming and brushing before they begin snuggling up with their owners.
Border Collies will have either a “smooth-coat” or “rough-coat” and these varied coats require proper brushes and grooming tools to get their coat looking its best. In this guide, we will make sure you find the best brush for a Border Collie and the best brush for your goals.
What are the Best Brushes for Border Collies?
- Best Overall: FURminator deShedding Edge
- Best Combo Brush: Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush
- Best Slicker Brush: Chris Christensen Long Pin Slicker Brush
- Best Glove Brush: Mr. Peanut’s Hand Gloves Dog & Cat Grooming
- Best Multi-Use Brush: KONG Dog ZoomGroom Multi-Use Brush
- Best De-Matting Brush: Safari De-Matting Dog Comb
- Best Shedding Blade Brush: Safari Dual-Sided Shedding Blade Dog Grooming
- Best Comb: Andis Steel Pet Comb
- Miracle Care Slicker Dog Brush
- FURminator Firm Slicker Brush For Dogs
- Hertzko Self-Cleaning Dog & Cat Slicker Brush
- Four Paws Ultimate Touch Instant Mat & Tangle
8 Different Types of Brushes for Border Collies
- Comb – Steel Dog Combs are an old school way of grooming Border Collies. They look like a standard comb, but the comb teeth are made of strengthened metal that won’t snap when battling tight fur or topcoat. These combs are a great tool for the topcoat on Border Collies, but to really reach a tight undercoat, a steel comb will struggle. Steel combs are nonetheless useful for removing loose and stray hair along with any dander that is hiding in a Collie’s topcoat.
- Slicker Brush – Slicker brushes are extremely popular dog brushes that are great at removing loose hair before it sheds, while also massaging and smoothing the dog’s topcoat. Slicker brushes are constructed with large numbers of wire sized tines with just enough length to get deep into your Border Collie’s coat. A slicker brush works for most dogs including Border Collies and is even effective for the long coat variety of Collie.
- De-Shedding – Border Collies with short or medium hair that have issues with shedding will benefit from a de-shedding brush. These specialized tools are designed to remove mass amounts of loose hair before it ends up in your home, and the tools are structured to reach deep into the coat for maximum hair removal. These tools are great for most dogs, but too much use can lead to skin irritation. As such, most owners rely on these brushes during seasons where shedding has reached its height and become unmanageable.
- Bristle Brush – Bristle brushes have closely spaced bristles that are designed to make a dog’s coat look smooth, soft, and shined. They are customarily used for short-haired breeds as well as grooming performed on puppies. A bristle brush’s tightly-packed bristles are also known to stimulate canine skin, which over time will result in the release of natural skin oils that add additional shine to coats.
- Pin Brush – Pin brushes look similar to the brushes used for long human hair and as such are functional for detangling and smoothing hair on dogs. These brushes have long metal pins that are spread out along an oval backing with a handle. These brushes may not penetrate deep into a dog’s undercoat, but they are great for finishing the grooming process as well as removing dead or loose hairs in the topcoat.
- Rake – For really fighting shedding that is emerging from loose hairs in the undercoat, a rake dog brush is a great tool. A rake dog brush has a wide set of teeth installed on a handle that resembles a shaving razor. The specially sized teeth are used to safely penetrate all the way to through the undercoat and into the lowest coat of shedding canines. Teeth length is important for these dog brushes, so the rule of thumb for rake dog brushes is to purchase a rake that has teeth the same length as your dog’s hair. This will allow the rake to penetrate and comb at the right length and remove hair from as low as possible.
- Glove – Glove dog brushes are a fun way to fight shedding. The brushes are shaped like big gloves or standard oven mitts. On their exterior, they have small tines made of metal or rubber that are designed to capture loose hair. The grooming tips capture hair while you use your hand to pet your Collie and run your hand along its back and legs. You then remove and peel off the captured hair from the glove, before restarting the process.
- Blade – Shedding Blades are an exotic pet grooming tool that is usually only used by professionals. The brushes have a simple handle with a specialized strip of metal that is curved into an oval. To use this tool, you brush your dog with the teethed side of the metal strip. The metal teeth will capture all the loose hair that’s about to be shed. Due to the large size of the metal oval, shedding blades are a step ahead of other brushes in speed because they can de-shed large areas of a dog quickly and get maximum coverage with the least brush strokes.
6 Key Considerations When Looking for the Right Brush for your Border Collie
- Hair Types – Border Collies are a unique breed with two distinct coat types. Some Border Collies wear a “rough coat” which is essentially a long coat. This is the classic Border Collie coat type and ordinarily grows thick and long with some feathering on the legs and ears. Conversely, some Border Collies have a “smooth coat” that is short hair along the canine. Both coat types benefit from a brush that attends to the varied top coat as well as loose hairs in the Collie’s undercoat.
- Sizing and Surface Area- Border Collies are not small dogs; so, there is no reason to waste time with a small brush. The larger the brush, the larger area on your Collie that you can groom in a single pull. Getting a brush with a larger surface area also saves your arms and hands from fatigue, while helping your energized Collie not have to hold still for a prolonged grooming session. Additionally, a larger brush is easier to grip which may provide you with added dexterity.
- Ears and Eyes- While brushing your dog’s body you may wonder how you should groom their ears, especially on a Border Collie, who are known for their trademark flared ear fur. For ears, the fur can be gently groomed with a steel comb, and inside the ear should be cleaned with a cotton ball that is always wiped in a direction that is away from the ear canal. Also, be careful to not use moisture when cleaning the ear as that moisture could reach the Collie’s ear canal.
- Pin Points- For the safety and comfort of your Collie, it is always important to inquire about how the points on brushes and pins are neutralized. Some brushes have rounded points, while others have raised guards that keep points away from the dog’s skin. In standard brushes look for flexible and bendable pins with rounded edges. This flexibility ensures that the brush pin will ease away from the dog’s skin when excess pressure is applied and won’t cause skin irritation. Checking for these safety measures ensures that your Border Collie has the best grooming experience and is comfortable coming back for another brushing.
- Brush Cleaning- If you use a grooming brush you will inevitably need to clean a grooming brush. It is best to look for grooming brushes that are designed with hair ejecting mechanisms or nonstick materials like rubber or silicone that make it easy to peel off loose hair. Once all hair is removed it is safe to clean the brushes with soap and water, so long as they are thoroughly dried after the cleaning process. Additionally, consider using a mild soap or even dog shampoo as the cleaning agent.
- Storage – For brushes that use metal teeth or blades, storage is critical to the tool’s longevity. While many groomers will bathe Border Collies before beginning a grooming session, the remaining water can be left on the grooming tool and cause the tool to dull. This dulling can lessen the effectiveness of the tool and allow it to get stuck in hair, which results in tugging on hair and skin irritation. To prevent this, always store your brushes and grooming tools in a dry place and dry the tool after use. Also look for brushes and tools that lock or retract their blades after use, as this will increase the brush’s longevity and sharpness.
Best Overall Brushes for Border Collies
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Brushes for Border Collies|
|FURminator deShedding Edge Dog Brush||CHECK PRICE|
|Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush||CHECK PRICE|
|Chris Christensen Long Pin Slicker Brush||CHECK PRICE|
|Mr. Peanut’s Hand Gloves Dog & Cat Grooming ||CHECK PRICE|
|KONG Dog ZoomGroom Multi-Use Brush||CHECK PRICE|
|Safari De-Matting Dog Comb ||CHECK PRICE|
|Safari Dual-Sided Shedding Blade||CHECK PRICE|
|Andis Steel Pet Comb||CHECK PRICE|
|Miracle Care Slicker Dog Brush ||CHECK PRICE|
|FURminator Firm Slicker Brush||CHECK PRICE|
|Hertzko Self-Cleaning Dog & Cat Slicker Brush||CHECK PRICE|
|Four Paws Ultimate Touch||CHECK PRICE|
- Designed especially for dogs and varied canine coats
- Stainless steel deShedding edge that can reach beneath a dog’s long/short topcoat to remove loose hair
- The ergonomic handle fits nicely in your hand, while the curved edge conforms to your pet’s shape to make grooming more comfortable all around.
- Reduces loose hair from shedding up to 90% with regular use.
- Patented technologies, designed by a groomer for professional results.
Best Overall – The Furminator deShedding Brush is a premium brush that is chocked full of smart design decisions that make it perfect for Border Collies. The brush is designed to help you in the battle against shedding while also removing loose hair and fur safely, so Collie’s skin does not get irritated. The edges of the brush extend just a bit longer than the brush’s teeth, which keeps the teeth from scraping your pup’s sensitive skin. Additionally, the brush teeth are specially designed for maximum efficiency by not only removing hair from the topcoat but reaching down and grabbing loose hair in the undercoat. This prevents the hidden undercoat loose hair from sneaking out on your floors even after you brushed your Collie’s hair the day before. This design, plus the ergonomic handle makes for an effective and comfortable brush for you and your Border Collie.
- Excellent For Fighting Shedding
- Safe For Border Collie Skin
- Multiple Sizes
- Easy Hair Release Button
- Grabs loose hair so well that you need to eject hair very often
- Dual-action brush that detangles and removes excess loose fur, and softens coat in one step
- Has two specialized sides that provide multiple benefits to support a healthy coat and reduce shedding
- Stainless steel pins remove tangles and excess fur and safety tips keep brushing gentle.
- Nylon bristles bring out the softness and shine in Collie fur by redistributing natural oils in your dog’s coat
- Brush has an ergonomic handle to prevent strain and fatigue while you groom
Best Combo Brush – This Hartz dual-action brush is a great combo brush that offers a brush with stainless steel pins to detangles Collie hair and removes loose hair before its shed to the floor. On the other side is a nylon hair brush with specialized bristles that can redistribute the natural oils that are needed to give a Collie’s coat its best shine and silkiness. For the steel pin portion of the brush, Hartz made sure to consider dog comfort and added rounded tips on the pins that feature a protective coating so loose hair can be grabbed gently.
- Two brushes for one price
- Brush is gentle on Collie skin
- Great for preventing shedding
- Improves Skin oils and coat
- Hair needs to be removed by hand
- Designed to fluff curly, cottony coats and to fluff and shape heads
- Able to work through dense coats all the way to the root
- Removes undesirable undercoat hairs
- Suitable for brushing body, legs, and tail
Best Slicker Brush – This premium slicker brush is designed to make your Collie show worthy and shed free. With a massive number of individual pins and above-average length pins for a deeper coat penetration, this brush gets more done in less time. The pins also feature an angled bend that ensures maximum lift and movement for a result that’s fluffy and soft. For brush users, this slicker brush includes a long handle with an ergonomic grip, which cuts down on fatigue in hands during extended brushing sessions.
- Great at capturing hair
- Hair is left extra fluffy
- Reaches undercoat
- Easy on the hands and arms
- Soft cushioned backing
- Safe pins
- Good size for Collies, but too big for small dog breeds and cats
- Designed to collect loose fur and hair for easy grooming
- Soft rubber tips cover the palms of both hands to gently undo tangles and lift dirt
- Gloves are suitable for all coat types including long, short, wet or dry coats
- Adjustable strap allows gloves to fit most hand sizes
- Comes in a two pack for maximum efficiency and speed
Best Glove – This Glove brush is fun and effective for brushing your Border Collie. The gloves are in a five-finger shape, unlike other models that use an oven mitt design, so you will have extra control and dexterity while hunting for loose hairs. The gloves are also gentle as they are studded with soft rubber tips that massage as they grasp her, which makes grooming a pleasant experience with plenty of petting. For a glove brush, the nubs are still very effective and quickly fill with hair that easily peels off the non-stick silicone pad.
- Finger Design
- Easy removal of captured hair
- Soft Touch while grooming
- Significant hair capture
- Great for a top coat but nubs can’t reach undercoat
- 2-in-1 tool that massages your dog while you brush and keeps your pet engaged
- Great for bath use with shampoo, and for brushing after bath
- Ideal for medium to large-sized breeds and suitable for all coat types
- Effectively removes loose hair and reduces shedding around the house.
Best Multi-Use Brush – The Kong Dog Zoomgroom Brush is a great brush that has a design that most dogs will find comfortable. Most dog parishes use tips and pin made of metal, but this brush has long rubber nubs that can reach all the way to the undercoat even though they are soft rubber. Its design also stimulates capillaries in your Collie’s skin while also stimulating natural oil production for healthy skin and a healthy coat. This brush also is easily cleaned by running under water, and can even be used during a bath to massage and loosen hair.
- Comfortable even for sensitive dogs
- Remove loose hair effectively
- Can be used during bath
- Stimulates natural oils
- Two sizes
- Dog may prefer to chew brush over being groomed
- Designed to eliminate tangles, knots, and dander in dogs with medium to long hair
- High-quality, rust-resistant, steel blades are sharp enough to cut through the tough mats
- Rounded ends on each blade ensure your dog’s safety, even on sensitive skin
- Comfort-grip with anti-slip rubberized handle fits easily in your hand to help prevent strain
Best De-Matting Brush – If your pup has a history of matts, the Safari De-matting comb can be a life saver. To defeat matts they either need to be cut and tangled or completely shaved off. Shaving is a last resort; so, having a good de-matting comb can help prevent your pup from having a strange haircut. This comb has special stainless steel placed that slide through hair effortlessly and once they come in contact with a matt the serrated blades divide the matt, which forces it to either detangle or separate. Both outcomes preserve your dog’s coat and keep them from losing patches of hair. Additionally, Safari kept your pet’s safety in mind, and each blade has a rounded end that not only doesn’t hurt your dog but instead actually massages the skin.
- Safe blades with rounded ends
- Effective at cutting mats
- Comfortable grip
- Also good for reducing shedding
- Will lose sharpness if not stored in a dry location
- Features a dual-sided stainless steel blade and vinyl comfort handle
- Designed to quickly and efficiently remove loose hair
- Handles can be unhooked to form an open shedding blade for covering large areas.
- Suitable for use on all dog sizes
Best Shedding Blade – The shedding blade is already a fancy grooming tool, and the Safari dual-sided shedding blade takes it to the next level. As the name implies, this shedding tool is dual-sided with one side featuring coarse teeth that work well on thick coats for removing excess hair; conversely, the other side has finer teeth that effectively smooth and brighten short coats. The handle is also versatile and can de-loop the blade so you can make giant swoops across your Collie and really get grooming done fast. This tool is great to have in your grooming arsenal and is extremely effective at removing loose hair.
- Removes large amounts of hair quickly
- Two blade options
- Still safe for dog skin
- Comfortable handle
- Hair does not stick to blade, so be prepared for hair to fall below dog while grooming
- Removes tangles, mats, dirt and loose hair
- Wide and narrow teeth make it ideal for all sizes of dogs
- Constructed of durable Stainless steel, which is more resilient than plastic.
- Effective for finishing and fluffing, while giving your pet a professionally groomed appearance
Best Comb – The Andis Steel Pet Comb is a great and easily portable grooming tool. It is also versatile with varied tine spacing for different grooming objectives. The wider side is perfect for detangling stubborn mats or giving fur a fluffy appearance. Conversely, the finer side is for thinner coats, or for sensitive areas like the face and paws. The comb is also impressively durable with stainless steel teeth that won’t snap if they catch a difficult tangle. Along with the teeth durability, this comb goes the extra mile as the spine of the comb is steel as well. This design decision beats other products that opt for plastic spines that crack over time. The Andis comb is also lightweight, which helps with fatigue during long grooming sessions.
- Great for Detangling
- Two Grooming Options Due To Spacing
- Lightweight And Easy To Use
- Durable Construction
- Removed hair must be removed by hand
4 Other Top Rated Border Collie Dog Brushes
This slicker dog brush from Miracle Care is a gentle but effective version of the most popular grooming tool among groomers. It has flexible pins with a soft and angled pad that makes sure your dog’s skin won’t get irritated from excessive pressure or rubbing. It also is effective at detangling Border Collie hair, while removing loose hairs that are preparing to be shed. The pins also have good length and can reach a Collie’s undercoat without trouble. As for the user, the slicker brush has a nice ergonomic design that is easy on the hands and prevents strain.
This “Firm” slicker brush is a modification on the standard slicker brush design that is especially effective at defeating surface mats and tangles without damaging a Border Collie’s coat. The brush has a dual flex design that keeps pressure off of a dog’s skin and conforms to the natural contours of the canine physique. The plastic components are also anti-microbial, so germs and bacteria are kept to a minimum so your pup won’t have to worry about any itchy skin infections. This brush is also great at grabbing loose hair and making sure your hands don’t get fatigued in the process.
This Hertzko Slicker Brush has some great quality of life features. For starters, it is easily cleaned and has a bristle retraction button that lets all the caught hair easily swipe away. Plus, it has a great handle that is comfortable with anti-slip grips to improve dexterity and ergonomically designed to allow for long groom sessions. As for the bristles, they work great and gently penetrate fur to detangle and remove mats without causing irritation.
This dog brush is great for getting rid of mats fast, while still preserving a Border Collie’s coat. The Four Paws Tangle Remover has specialized quills that are easily angled into hard to reach areas, but still effective at breaking down tangles. The quills also work with all coat types, which is especially useful for the varied coats of Collie’s.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How Do I Reduce My Border Collie’s Shedding? While shedding is a normal and natural occurrence, especially when the weather is getting warmer, there are still some things you can do to reduce it. First, you should brush your pet regularly so you capture any and all loose hairs. Additionally, consider using a shedding dog shampoo, as these products moisture and strengthen canine skin, which can lead to less shedding and healthier coats.
- How Often Should I Brush My Border Collie? For shedding seasons, the best schedule is to brush your dog 3-4 times per week. These brushing sessions can really help with cutting down on shedding throughout the house. If it is not a shedding season, a reasonable schedule is at least twice a week, as Collies are still susceptible to tangles that can turn into matts without sufficient brushing and attention.
- My Pet Has Long Hair That’s Frequently Matted. How Do I Get Rid of the Matting? To preserve a Border Collie’s coat, matts require patience and the right tool. To start, you should use a steel comb or stiff slicker brush to tease at the matts and slowly loosen them. You can wet the matt but it should not be rinsed, as a Collie’s natural oils will help the process. Finally, after the matt detangles, you should go over the area with a bristled brush to smooth and relax the fur. Alternatively, if a stubborn matt is hurting your pup, consider cutting through the matt with a de-matting comb/brush, which upward facing blades that safely slice through matts while preserving overall coat appearance.