Pomeranians are small dogs with bold personalities. These intelligent little companions are highly sought after house pets. If you own a Pomeranian yourself, you know how much work goes into fur maintenance. Choosing the best brush for a Pomeranian can be a hard task. It’s important to know what to look for and what to avoid to make sure your dog receives the best skin and fur care possible.
Pomeranians are descendants of large sled dogs that come from colder climates. Due to this, Pomeranians are double-coated. While they are still puppies, Pomeranians have soft, short coats. As they grow up, however, their coat changes. The soft coat falls out and a two-layered coat replaces it.
Two-layered coats are prone to knotting and matting and need extra care. This is why choosing the right brush for your dog is so important. With a proper brush, you can make sure your Pomeranian’s fur is in perfect condition. Here’s what you need to know about choosing the best brush for a Pomeranian:
What are the Best Brushes for Pomeranians?
- Best Overall: FURminator deShedding Edge
- Best Combo Brush: Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush
- Best Slicker Brush: Chris Christensen Long Pin Slicker Brush
- Best Glove Brush: Mr. Peanut’s Hand Gloves Dog & Cat Grooming
- Best Multi-Use Brush: KONG Dog ZoomGroom Multi-Use Brush
- Best De-Matting Brush: Safari De-Matting Dog Comb
- Best Shedding Blade Brush: Safari Dual-Sided Shedding Blade Dog Grooming
- Best Comb: Andis Steel Pet Comb
- Miracle Care Slicker Dog Brush
- FURminator Firm Slicker Brush For Dogs
- Hertzko Self-Cleaning Dog & Cat Slicker Brush
- Four Paws Ultimate Touch Instant Mat & Tangle
8 Different Types of Brushes for Pomeranians:
- Comb Brush – Comb brushes can have bristles that are one length or those that vary in length. They are usually made of steel. These brushes are a great choice for dogs whose fur knots and mats easily. They are often used to comb through the dog’s hair after bathing and conditioning the hair. They can also have anti-static properties, providing in a smooth, silky coat without the frizz.
- Slicker Brush – Slicker brushes are best for curly-haired dogs or those with medium to long fur. They consist of a flat surface with fine wires on top. Slicker brushes are great at removing mats and tangles while not irritating your dog’s skin. It’s important not to use too much pressure when handling this brush. When using a high-quality slicker brush, light pressure is enough to get the job done.
- De-shedding Brush – De-shedding brushes are great at removing loose fur from your dog’s coat. These brushes are a great choice if you are allergic to dog fur or if want your house to look clean and hair-free. They work by combing through the fur and collecting excess hair before it can make its way onto the floor, or your clothes. You should be gentle when using this type of brush, as it can cause discomfort for your dog if you apply too much pressure.
- Bristle Brush – Bristle brushes use soft bristles made of natural or synthetic materials. These brushes are a great choice for dogs with short, smooth coats. They remove loose hair without irritating the skin. The bristles also work to stimulate and massage the skin while cleaning it. This type of brush is extremely gentle and can be used for dogs with sensitive skin.
- Pin Brush – Pin brushes look similar to bristle brushes, but instead of bristles they use flexible wires with pins. These brushes resemble hair brushes most often used by people. Pin brushes are great at collecting loose fur or fluffing up your dog’s coat. These brushes are often used near the end of the grooming process to finish off your dog’s look.
- Rake Brush – Rake Brushes are designed specifically with thick coats and double coats in mind. They penetrate into the coat and remove the dead skin and tangles that often form in the undercoat, near the skin. They are often shaped like razors. The pins are not as flexible as they are in a pin brush, so you should not apply too much pressure when using a rake brush, as it can harm your dog’s skin.
- Glove Brush – Glove brushes are usually made so they can fit onto a human’s hand and contain rubber or silicone bristles where the palm of the hand is. These brushes are very gentle on your dog’s skin. The rubber bristles come in a variety of lengths, so you can choose a perfect length for your dog’s coat. Shorter bristles are more comfortable for breeds with short coats, while long-haired breeds can benefit from the longer bristles that can grab the hair from the undercoat.
- Blade Brush – Blade brushes, otherwise known as shedding blades, are extremely useful for double-coated dogs. They consist of a handle and a blade that connects to the handle with both sides, creating a loop. The blade contains ridges on one or both sides. These ridges are great at loosening and removing hair during shedding season. This brush is an excellent tool, especially for dogs with thick or double coats. You should use it with caution, however, as it can hurt your dog’s skin if you apply too much pressure.
6 Key Considerations When Looking for the Right Brush for your Pomeranian:
- Pomeranians are double-coated. It’s important to look for brushes designed with double-coated breeds in mind. Not every brush can comb through the undercoat. If you don’t take good care of the undercoat, it can result in knotting, mating, and ultimately breaking the hair.
- You should brush older Pomeranians more often than puppies. While your Pomeranian is a puppy, you should brush it two or three times a week. However, as it grows up, your pup will require more frequent brushing. You should brush your adult Pomeranians every two days.
- Brushing your dog benefits its skin along with its fur. By brushing your dog often, you are making sure body oil is evenly distributed onto the dog’s hair and skin. Body oil is beneficial for your dog’s hair and skin as it can nourish and protect it. If you brush your dog often, you also prevent oil buildup on the skin, which can clog and irritate it.
- You will probably need more than one brush. Different brushes have different uses and benefits. You should not expect one brush to meet all of your needs. This is especially true for a Pomeranian.
- Start a grooming session with a comb. You should start your Pomeranian’s grooming session with some leave-in spray and a wide-toothed comb. A comb will lightly detangle the fur. It’s not abrasive on hair or skin. Once you go through the fur with a comb, you’ll notice if your Pomeranian has any knots and address those before moving on to other brushes.
- Your Pomeranian will shed twice a year. Due to its double coat, your Pomeranian will shed a lot during the shedding season. Prepare to invest in a good-quality de-shedding brush. These brushes can help keep your home clean and hair-free. They also help your dog with any discomfort or itchiness that comes with shedding.
8 Best Brushes for Pomeranians
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Brushes for Pomeranians|
|FURminator deShedding Edge Dog Brush ||CHECK PRICE|
|Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush ||CHECK PRICE|
|Chris Christensen Long Pin Slicker Brush ||CHECK PRICE|
|Mr. Peanut’s Hand Gloves Dog & Cat Grooming ||CHECK PRICE|
|KONG Dog ZoomGroom Multi-Use Brush ||CHECK PRICE|
|Safari De-Matting Dog Comb ||CHECK PRICE|
|Safari Dual-Sided Shedding Blade ||CHECK PRICE|
|Andis Steel Pet Comb ||CHECK PRICE|
|Miracle Care Slicker Dog Brush ||CHECK PRICE|
|FURminator Firm Slicker Brush ||CHECK PRICE|
|Hertzko Self-Cleaning Dog & Cat Slicker Brush ||CHECK PRICE|
|Four Paws Ultimate Touch ||CHECK PRICE|
- Ergonomic handle – The handle is easy and comfortable to use. It’s slightly curved, conforming to your pet’s shape.
- Great for both long and short coats – The stainless steel edge is designed to reach beneath your dog’s topcoat, no matter how long the hair is.
- Reduces loose hair from shedding – If used regularly, this brush can reduce shedding up to 90%.
- Designed especially for dogs by a groomer – This brush is a professional groomer’s design. Their knowledge and expertise have aided them in designing a brush with maximum comfort for your pup in mind.
Best Overall – FURminator de-Shedding Edge Dog Brush uses a patented design made by professional groomers with years of experience under their belts. They know how important grooming is, but they also understand how tedious it can be if you’re using the wrong brush. This brush provides an easy, effortless experience for both the dog and the owner, making grooming sessions a joy.
This brush is especially good for Pomeranians due to it being able to reach the undercoat. Many brushes aren’t built for double-coated dogs. Due to this, hair shedding from the undercoat can become trapped, forming knots and causing discomfort for your Pomeranian.
By opting for a brush specially designed to deal with double coats, you are making sure your dog both looks and feels its best.
- Reduces shedding up to 90%, making cleanup easier.
- Designed with double-coated dogs in mind.
- Made out of stainless steel, resulting in a long-lasting, durable brush.
- Optimally designed by professionals.
- It’s not optimal for dealing with knotting and mating of the fur.
- It can irritate your dog’s skin if not used carefully.
- It’s double-sided, making it a great detangling brush and great for oil distribution.
- It aids in skin and fur health if used regularly.
- Ergonomic handle provides comfort for the owner, preventing fatigue and strain on the hand.
- Gentle on the skin, thanks to the safety tips on the stainless steel pins.
Best Combo Brush for Pomeranians – This brush is a great two-in-one option for you and your pet. The stainless steel side is great at collecting loose hair and detangling. The nylon bristles on the other side distribute natural oils evenly onto your dog’s fur, making it soft and shiny.
Pomeranians need frequent brushing. Once you remove the excess hair and detangle the matted areas, you need to brush your Pomeranian with a soft bristle brush. This ensures your dog’s fur will be soft and healthy, without breakage or frizz.
The Groomer’s Best Combo Brush is very gentle, reducing the risk of skin irritation. The steel pins have safety tips on them, ensuring your dog’s comfort.
- Removes excess loose fur.
- Detangles matted and knotted areas.
- Distributes natural oils evenly.
- Very gentle on the skin.
- You may need a more heavy-duty brush during the shedding season if your dog sheds a lot.
- Long pin bristles designed to reach the undercoat.
- Removes hair buildup in the undercoat.
- Great for fluffing up curly or thick coats.
- Great for shaping the fur on the face, back and legs.
- Comes in a large and a medium.
Best Slicker Brush for Pomeranians – The Chris Christensen Long Pin Slicker Brush is a heavy-duty de-shedding brush. The stainless steel pins design is curved, making it easy to reach hair down to the root.
Along with de-shedding properties, this brush can aid you in styling your Pomeranian’s fur. It fluffs up the hair, making the coat fluffy. It works great when used with a dryer to straighten and dry hair.
The cleanup is very easy when using this brush. The hair sticks to the bristles and comes out in one clump, without any flyaway hair. The handle of the brush is ergonomic, making frequent brushing needed for a Pomeranian an easy task.
- Curved stainless steel pins designed to catch all loose hair.
- Great for styling and fluffing up the fur.
- Easy cleanup.
- Very long bristles, great for very thick fur.
- It can cause irritation if used with force.
- Does not distribute body oils into the fur.
- The gloves consist of durable mesh fabric, an adjustable velcro strap, and silicone bristles on the palm.
- You get two gloves with one purchase, making for a faster grooming process.
- Suitable for all coat types – You can use these gloves on long or short, curly or silky coats.
- You can use these gloves for brushing through both wed and dry fur.
- Due to their adjustability, the gloves fit most hand sizes.
Best Glove Brush for Pomeranians – These gloves are a great choice if grooming tools make your dog uncomfortable. You can put them on your hand and pet your dog like you usually would, collecting excess hair while you do it. The hair collects between the silicone bristles, making the cleanup easy.
The mesh fabric of the glove is breathable and stretchy, and the Velcro strap is adjustable. This makes the glove easy to take on and off and comfortable to wear. The gloves are for both left and right hand, which is great for left-handed people. Those with two or more dogs can groom two at the same time or use two gloves for a faster grooming process.
- Gloves fit most hands.
- You can use the gloves on wet or dry fur.
- Gentle and non-abrasive.
- Great for dogs who are afraid of other grooming products.
- They’re not suitable for shedding season if your dog sheds a lot.
- It comes in a small size, which is perfect for puppies and smaller breeds, and regular size, which is ideal for medium or large breeds.
- It acts as a massager along with brushing your dog. Your dog will enjoy grooming time with this two-in-one tool.
- The design originates from the USA and it’s made to massage your dog’s skin and stimulate capillaries and natural oil production.
- Great to use while bathing your dog, as it can be used on dry or wet fur.
Best Multi-Use Brush for Pomeranians – The small size of this multi-use brush is great for smaller dogs such as Pomeranians. This brush is very gentle. Dogs love it due to its massaging properties, so they won’t run away before the grooming is complete. It’s great for shampoo distribution if you use it while bathing your dog, and for removing loose hair once your god is dry.
This brush distributes natural oils along the skin and fur, making the coat look shiny and feel healthy. The massaging properties stimulate capillaries, making oxygen-filled blood rush to the skin and the roots of the hair. If used regularly, this brush can promote skin and coat health.
- You can use it with shampoo or dry fur.
- Removes loose hair and reduces shedding around the house.
- Stimulates hair and fur health.
- Dogs love it due to massaging properties.
- It doesn’t reach the undercoat.
- Gently detangles and removes any knots in dogs with medium or long hair.
- Safe to use on sensitive skin, due to the rounded ends on the blades, designed to protect the skin.
- Massages the coat and promotes blood circulation.
- The handle is anti-slip and comfortable to hold, ensuring safety for you and your pet.
- The blades are made of stainless steel that’s high-quality and rust-resistant.
Best De-Matting Brush for Pomeranians – This de-matting dog comb is a great choice if your Pomeranian deals with matted and knotted fur. This is a common problem Pomeranians face, and it can result in hair breakage if not handled properly. Stainless steel blades of this Safari brush are extra sharp, and they can easily cut through mats without pulling the hair. The high-quality material the brush is made of ensures it will stay sharp for a long time.
The handle is anti-slip, allowing for a controlled grip, and it’s designed to fit into the palm of the hand comfortably. The edges of the blades are rounded, which ensures your dog’s safety, and massages the skin, increasing circulation.
- Removes the toughest knots with ease.
- Promotes circulation.
- Safe for sensitive skin.
- Made of durable, long-lasting materials.
- Because of the sharp blades, it must be used with caution and stored somewhere dogs and children can’t reach.
- A double-sided stainless steel blade and a vinyl handle.
- The blade is coarse on one side and has finer teeth on the other.
- Great for both big and small dogs.
- Removes excess hair easily and efficiently.
- The handle can be unhooked, making it great for bigger areas like the back.
Best Shedding Blade Brush for Pomeranians – This shedding blade comes with both fine and coarse teeth. The coarse teeth are great for dogs with thicker coats or double-coated dogs. The fine teeth work well for shorter coats.
This brush’s design allows for quick removal of loose hair from the coat and the undercoat. The vinyl handle is easy to hold, and you can unhook it if you want to de-shed a larger dog. The overall length of the steel loop is 10 inches.
- Suitable for big and small dogs.
- Suitable for double-coated dogs.
- A great tool for shedding season, as it efficiently removes all the loose hair.
- Made of durable and long-lasting materials.
- It doesn’t distribute natural oils onto the fur.
- It can be dangerous and should be kept out of children’s reach.
- It’s made of stainless steel, with wider teeth on one side and narrow teeth on the other.
- Can be used on both cats and dogs.
- Removes tangles, mats, and dirt.
- Achieves a professionally groomed look when used to fluff the hair.
Best Comb for Pomeranians – This comb is a great tool for de-matting and detangling the fur. It’s gentle enough not to harm the skin of your pet. The wider side untangles and gives a fluffy appearance to the coat. The thinner side is amazing for thin coats and sensitive areas, such as face and paws.
Stainless steel is durable and long-lasting. The comb is lightweight and easy to use. Pomeranian’s fur often gets matted, and this comb is a great tool to deal with the matting and achieve a salon-groomed look.
- Durable and long-lasting.
- Great for thick or thin coats.
- Does not irritate the skin or cause abrasions.
- Easy to use.
- Great for achieving a fluffy look.
- Does not distribute natural oils into the fur.
4 Other Top Rated Pomeranian Dog Brushes
The Miracle Care Slicker Dog Brush uses soft, stainless wire tines to detangle your Pomeranian’s fur. It’s a great option for frequent grooming as it will not irritate the skin. It reaches the undercoat on double-coated breeds and removes loose fur.
This brush is easy to use and effective at minimizing mats and tangles if used regularly. It’s a must-have and can be used for all breeds and sizes.
This FURminator brush is ideal for dogs with medium or long fur. It removes tangles and mats without breaking or damaging the coat. It consists of straight bristles on one side and bent bristles on the other.
It’s a great choice for double-coated dogs like Pomeranians because the bent bristle side reaches into the coat, grabbing the loose hair from the undercoat. The handle is ergonomic and easy to use, and the anti-microbial plastic keeps germs and bacteria at a minimum.
The Hertzko self-cleaning brush is great for both dogs and cats of any size. It brushes out te tangles and knots in long or short types of fur. The handle is comfortable and non-slip, making it easy to use.
This brush massages the skin while combing, aiding in healthy blood circulation. It’s very easy to clean by pressing the bristle retraction button and wiping the fur away.
This brush uses reversible quills to remove mats and tangles from areas that are hard to access. This is useful if you own a Pomeranian because their fur can get tangled near the undercoat, which is hard to access using some brushes.
The Four Paws brush is recommended by pet groomers and is ideal for all coat types. If used regularly it promotes healthy skin and fur by aiding in blood circulation and natural oil dispersion.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does a Pomeranian shed? Although Pomeranians have long hair and a lot of it, they do not shed too much. During the shedding season, they shed more and require more frequent brushing. If it’s not shedding season, their shedding is minimal, but they still need frequent brushing to keep their coats healthy.
- How much does a Pomeranian’s fur tangle? Pomeranian’s coats need upkeep to remain shiny and tangle-free. Your Pomeranian’s fur can get tangled if not brushed at least twice a week, maybe more.
- How do I keep my Pomeranian’s coat healthy? By brushing it often, you are making sure your dog’s fur stays healthy and strong. Comb through your dog’s hair every couple of days and assess if there are any knots and tangles to take care of. Brush them with a soft bristle brush at least once a week to keep their coats shiny and healthy and promote hair growth.
Keeping your dog healthy is of utmost importance, and taking care of their skin and hair is an integral part of that. Choosing the right brush for you Pomeranian can seem difficult. That’s why it’s so important knowing what their needs are and how to take care of them. There is no one-size-fits-all hairbrush for dogs. Take a look at your four-pawed friend, assess if their fur is healthy and what you can do if it’s not. By keeping your Pomeranian’s fur shiny and silky, you are helping them both look and feel their best.