- What are the Best Brushes for Poodles?
- 8 Different Types Brushes for Poodles
- 6 Key Considerations when Looking for the Right Brush for your Poodle
- Overall Best Brushes for Poodles
- FURminator deShedding Edge Dog Brush
- Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush
- Chris Christensen Long Pin Slicker Brush
- Mr. Peanut’s Hand Gloves Dog & Cat Grooming & De-shedding Aid
- KONG Dog ZoomGroom Multi-Use Brush
- Safari De-Matting Dog Comb
- Safari Dual-Sided Shedding Blade Dog Grooming Tool
- Andis Steel Pet Comb
- 4 Other Top-Rated Poodle Dog Brushes
- Frequently Asked Questions
To find the best brush for a poodle, you must first gain a solid understanding of how poodles’ thick coats work. Although it’s not often you see poodle hair stuck to your clothes and furniture, this breed does still shed their hair over time. Rather than the fur becoming affixed to surfaces and fabrics, the loose hair gets stuck within the thick curls of their fur, which leads to painful matting if not properly brushed out.
To ensure the best skin and coat health for your poodle, you need a brush that makes the grooming process effective and enjoyable for your curly-haired pup. Poodles have developed a reputation as being a posh dog because of their distinctive style and as a pet parent, it’s your responsibility to keep them looking well-groomed and feeling confident year-round. As a poodle owner, you know just how incredibly intelligent this breed is. When they’re satisfied with a mix of physical activities and regular grooming, you are sure to have a happy, healthy dog on your hands – as it should be!
In this article, you’ll discover eight of the different types of brushes for poodles and what to consider when you’re shopping for the right brush. You’ll be able to check out several reviews of our top picks that highlight special features, and finally, we’ll answer some of your frequently asked questions. Soon, you’ll have all the information you need to make the best brush buying decision you can for your beloved fur baby. Keep on reading to learn more!
What are the Best Brushes for Poodles?
- Best Overall: FURminator deShedding Edge
- Best Combo Brush: Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush
- Best Slicker Brush: Chris Christensen Long Pin Slicker Brush
- Best Glove Brush: Mr. Peanut’s Hand Gloves Dog & Cat Grooming
- Best Multi-Use Brush: KONG Dog ZoomGroom Multi-Use Brush
- Best De-Matting Brush: Safari De-Matting Dog Comb
- Best Shedding Blade Brush: Safari Dual-Sided Shedding Blade Dog Grooming
- Best Comb: Andis Steel Pet Comb
- Miracle Care Slicker Dog Brush
- FURminator Firm Slicker Brush For Dogs
- Hertzko Self-Cleaning Dog & Cat Slicker Brush
- Four Paws Ultimate Touch Instant Mat & Tangle
8 Different Types Brushes for Poodles
- Comb – Combs are great for use on poodles’ fur, particularly when they are equipped with strong teeth to get through those thick curls. This is an especially convenient tool when brushing through sensitive areas, like around the face and paws.
- Slicker Brush – This brush is a go-to option for pet parents and groomers dealing with the thick, curly coats of poodles. This brush is equipped with thin wire bristles that can be brushed through your poodles’ hair without irritating your pup with each pull. Slicker brushes can even tackle some tough matting.
- De-Shedding Brush – Although poodles are not big on shedding, this type of brush is equipped with fine metal teeth that easily eliminate any loose fur that has collected around their curly coat.
- Bristle Brush – Bristle brushes are generally geared toward dogs with short, smooth coats that shed often. These brushes are equipped with small clusters of natural bristles that clear away loose hair and stimulate circulation on your pup’s skin.
- Pin Brush – This type of brush looks a lot like a regular human hairbrush and has a thick head with metal pins. This is ideal to prevent painful pulling when small knots are encountered in the curly coat. In addition, they’re helpful with keeping your pup clean because they clear out any trapped dirt in the curls.
- Rake Brush – Rake brushes are similar to slicker brushes; however, rake brushes penetrate deeper to remove the dead fur that sits close to your poodles’ skin. It is also a great tool for clearing out any matting. Its main purpose is to tackle the ultra-tangled areas on your pup’s coat. Since these are thin pins spaced tightly together, these brushes don’t require much pressure. In fact, using too much pressure can hurt your poodle.
- Glove Brush – A glove brush is a product you wear over your hand that includes rubber bristles. It is great for cleaning and combing different coat types, whether the fur is wet or dry. It is helpful with keeping the fur contained on one surface, instead of flying about and making a mess each time you brush your poodle.
- Blade Brush – Blade brushes are equipped with a sturdy stainless-steel blade curved around a handle. It is designed to remove loose hair from your poodle. It is relatively easy to use and can be swiped from your pup’s head to his tail to gather any loose hair.
6 Key Considerations when Looking for the Right Brush for your Poodle
- Handle Type – Look for a grip that’s easy on your hands. This prevents fatigue and keeps grooming enjoyable for both your poodle and you.
- Length of Coat – Some brushes work better on longer, thicker coats while others are meant for shorter coats. If you keep your poodle’s fur short or long, be mindful of brush recommendations.
- Spot Treatments – Some brushes are designed specifically for tough mats and not for overall coats. Be sure you choose the right one for your needs.
- Flyaway Fur – When grooming, expect flyaway fur. If this is an issue for you, choose a retractable bristle brush that traps fur for easy disposal or gloves that trap fur between their rubber points.
- Cost – While a more affordable option may seem more attractive, a more expensive brush could be just the high-quality tool you need for your precious poodle.
- Durability – Consider materials used. For example, stainless steel is a great material that boasts longevity.
Overall Best Brushes for Poodles
- Designed specifically for dog hair
- Stainless steel deShedding edge
- Deep reach for removing undercoat
- Ergonomic handle
- Curved edge for your pet’s comfort
Best Overall – This deShedding edge dog brush by FURminator is designed by a groomer to give you professional results at home. With regular use, this brush reduces loose hair by 90%. The curved edge allows for a comfortable grooming experience for your poodle because it conforms to his or her body and the ergonomic handle offers you comfort as well.
Grooming your poodle doesn’t feel like a chore with the right tool. Plus, your poodle will be looking better, feeling better, and even smelling better with regular use of this dog brush. When used as directed, this brush effortlessly removes undercoat and loose hair without any damage to your pet’s skin or topcoat.
- Ergonomic handle for your convenience
- 90% reduced loose hair from shedding
- Curved edge conforms to your poodle’s body
- Sharp edge requires gentle handling for effective use
- Dual-action brush
- Detangles, removes loose fur, and softens
- Stainless steel pins with safety tips
- Nylon bristles
- Ergonomic handle
Best Combo – Hartz combo brush completes several steps in one convenient grooming tool. This dual-action brush comes equipped with two sides: each with a specific function. The side with the stainless-steel pins works to remove tangles and loose hair and the side with the nylon bristles distributes your poodle’s natural oils to keep his coat soft, shiny, and manageable.
The stainless-steel pins have safety tips to protect your pup’s skin, making the brushing process that much easier for both of you. In addition, this tool has an ergonomic handle that keeps you comfortable as you work to get tangles and dead fur out of your poodle’s beautiful coat.
- Dual-action brush
- Safety tips on stainless-steel pins
- Redistributes natural oils for a healthy coat
- Affordable product
- Size of brush may be a bit large for small puppies
- More pins than previous models
- Great for fluffing curly, cottony coats
- Curved pins reach root to remove loose hair
- Flexible, gentle cushion
Slicker Brush – The Big G slicker brush comes with an extra long ergonomic handle so you can tackle grooming days with ease. It has long pins with a bend at the end that are designed to penetrate deeply into longer poodle coats. These bends create lift as they move along, picking up some of the often-forgotten undercoat close to your pup’s skin.
This brush is fantastic for creating that soft, fluffy look poodles are known for. When used as instructed, it is a comfortable experience for both you and your pup. This brush allows you to tackle deep into the undercoat in record time, freeing up your schedule for extra play time and cuddles with your beloved poodle.
- 40% more pins than previous model
- Gentle, flexible cushion
- Special pin bend for thicker, longer coats
- More expensive than other brush styles
- Gloves can be used on wet or dry hair
- Designed to remove loose fur
- Soft, rubber tips
- Adjustable fuzzy fastener
Best Gloves – Mr. Peanut’s hand gloves come in a pair of two – one for each hand. When your pup sheds, you have more cleanup than usual. However, with these gloves, you can catch all that loose hair before it hits the ground or your furniture. They are made with a soft, flexible mesh and have rubber tips all over the palm side of the gloves. These rubber tips not only help detangle; they also remove any dirt that might be hiding in your pet’s coat.
Each glove has an adjustable fuzzy fastener strap that makes it ideal for most hand sizes. Some brushing tools may appear intimidating to your or your pet, but with these gloves, you can pet your poodle as you normally do while removing excess hair and gently detangling.
- Easy cleanup
- Adjustable for different hand sizes
- Comfortable for you and your pet
- Some tougher mats and tangles may require a separate tool
- 2-in-1 brush massages while brushing
- Great for use during bath time
- Multiple sizes available
- Made in USA
Best Multi Use – This brush by KONG is a perfect bath time companion for your poodle but you can use it out of the bath too. It’s great to use during shampooing because it removes loose hair quickly and easily while also providing a comforting massage to your poodle. It’ll feel like a spa day instead of a regular brushing day for your pup.
The massaging motion stimulates capillaries and redistributes your poodle’s natural oil production to encourage happy, healthy skin and an ultra-soft and shiny coat. This product is available in several bright colors and in different sizes to fit your pup, whether he’s still a puppy or a big boy.
- Affordable product
- Brushes and massages your poodle
- Can be used in and out of the bath
- Deep undercoat brushing may require another brushing tool
- Eliminates knots, tangles, and dander
- Rust-resistant, stainless steel serrated blades
- Rounded edges on each blade
- Anti-slip, comfortable rubberized handle
Best De-Matting Brush – This de-matting comb by Safari is the perfect tool for keeping your poodle’s coat feeling smooth and looking healthy. When hair becomes matted, moisture gets trapped along with odors and dirt, leaving your fur baby susceptible to skin irritation. This grooming tool is high-quality, designed to remove knots, tangles, and loose hair with ease.
The long blades are super sharp to cut through even the most stubborn matted clumps and the rounded ends on each blade avoid any mishaps, keeping your poodle’s skin safe. This brush is designed to not only groom but also massage the coat, increasing blood circulation with each use. Plus, the grip is designed to be comfortable for you, giving you more control and less strain while grooming.
- Safety features to protect skin
- Anti-slip, comfortable handle
- Clears matted hair without pulling
- Requires careful care while using due to sharpness of blades
- Dual-sided stainless steel blade
- Vinyl comfort handle
- Designed to efficiently remove loose, dead hair
- Coarse and finer teeth for different length coats
Best Shedding Blade – This dual-sided shedding blade by Safari is the ideal grooming tool for quickly removing dead, loose hair from your poodle’s coat. One side of the blade is equipped with coarse teeth, which work perfectly on extra thick, long coats to remove any excess hair. The other side of the blade is equipped with finer teeth to brighten and smooth shorter coats.
If your poodle is full grown, you can even unhook the handles of the grooming blade for more coverage and a more efficient grooming session. This tool, when closed in the loop position is about 10 inches long.
- Easy and efficient
- Dual-sided to tackle different coat types
- Can be unhooked for more coverage
- Tool will not catch any flyaway fur as you brush through your poodle
- Designed to remove loose hair, tangles, and dirt
- Wide and narrow teeth
- Constructed with stainless steel
- Great for finishing and fluffing
Best Comb – This stainless-steel comb by Andis is a great tool for creating that finished, fluffy look. It is split with wide teeth on one side and narrow teeth on the other. The wide teeth are ideal for untangling any matted hair and giving a polished, fluffed-up appearance. The narrow teeth are suitable for tackling any sensitive areas, including around the paws and face.
This comb is ultra-durable because it is made from stainless steel instead of flimsier options, like plastic. It’s lightweight, which makes it easy to hold while you groom your pet. Plus, not only will you be able to detangle like a pro and get rid of any trapped dirt, you will also be stimulating your pet’s skin and hair follicles for a healthy coat.
- Two different sets of teeth
- Fluffs up fur for a finished look
- Product is not equipped with an ergonomic handle
4 Other Top-Rated Poodle Dog Brushes
This slicker brush by Miracle Care has a soft pad and angled pins that flex to groom effectively without irritating your poodle’s skin. It is designed to detangle and prevent matted fur while also releasing any loose hair caught in your pet’s coat. This brush reaches down into the undercoat, ensuring proper grooming while keeping the skin healthy. It comes with an ergonomic, non-slip handle for your ease of use as well.
This FURminator slicker brush will keep your poodle feeling healthy and happy. It has straight bristles on one side and on the other side, it has bent bristles. It removes surface mats and detangles without damaging your precious pup’s topcoat. The dual flex head design easily follows the natural curves of your poodle’s body while ensuring the bristles do their job. The anti-microbial plastic keeps germs and bacteria away while the ergonomic handle offers comfort as you bond with your pet through grooming.
To keep your poodle’s coat looking shiny and healthy, use this Hertzko self-cleaning slicker brush. This brush is designed to help you brush out tangles and knots of any size. It is equipped with a bristle retraction button that makes cleanup a breeze. Simply press the button once you’re done brushing; the bristles retract, and you can discard any of the dead, loose fur that was brushed out. Plus, you can enjoy the comfort of a durable, anti-slip, ergonomic handle as you help your pet stay healthy.
This mat and tangle remover by Four Paws is equipped with reversible quills that make removing mats from difficult places so much easier. If your pup has deeply matted fur, this is a great tool to get them some relief while promoting a healthier coat and skin. This tool is even recommended by trusted pet groomers!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do you brush a poodle? Poodle fur benefits from a technique referred to as “line brushing,” which requires you form a part on their hair, away from the area you will be tackling first. This technique is completed one section at a time. While this may sound time-consuming, once you get the hang of it, it’ll save you time. Brush through the small parted section with your chosen brush until all tangles are out. Continue with this technique throughout the top knot. For ears, brush from the bottom up. For the tail, start at the bottom until you reach the base. For legs, use the same line brushing technique and don’t forget to tackle the inside, where the legs meet the body. These areas are highly susceptible to tangling and matting because of frequent movement and friction.
- How often should you brush a poodle? Poodles can be brushed daily if you wish to keep up with a regular routine; however, most pet parents brush their poodles two to three times a week. With a weekly schedule, poodles’ coats can be maintained without tangles or mats gathering. Plus, brushing stimulates circulation and spreads natural skin oils to keep your pup’s skin looking and feeling healthy.
- How do I keep my poodle fluffy? Always brush your poodles’ coat after bathing. If you shampoo your pup and let him air dry, this will weigh down the coat and cause matting. Keep a regular brushing schedule and comb out any tangles you encounter. After bathing, use a hair dryer on a low setting, keeping the hot air pointed away from the skin and on the coat as you brush through it.
Poodles are a beloved breed for all their wonderful personality qualities, and they require regular brushing to keep their skin and coats healthy, soft, and shiny. You have several brush options to choose from, depending on your needs. While some brushes are better geared for spot treatments, others offer a go-to brush for regular grooming. Still others are easier to use and offer ergonomic handles. Which product above caught your eye?