When it comes to getting the right kitty litter, chances are you’re going to get the first one you see in the aisle or the first one that pops up on Chewy.com. One thing to know is that you can go wrong when it comes to getting litter, especially for a declawed cat. Their paws are sensitive as it is, and you want to ensure that getting a traditional clay-based litter such as Tidy Cats is off your list.
- Clean and effective
- Free monthly delivery
- Risk Free 30 day trial
There are litters that are a cross between clay and softer, easier-to-touch materials such as recycled paper or processed wood. The good news is that with something made out of paper or wood or any other non-traditional material, it will feed better on the cat’s paws, result in less tracking across the floor than other litters, and even be more environmentally friendly.
The best cat litters for declawed cats are easy on their paws, won’t break the bank, and make the litter box something you can forget about (instead of smell 24/7). Read on for the best kitty litter options for declawed cats so you can choose the best option for your feline friend.
What are the Best Cat Litters for Declawed Cats?
- Pretty Litter
- Frisco All-Natural Unscented Clumping Grass Cat Litter
- Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Touch of Outdoors Unscented
- Purina Yesterday’s News Original Unscented Non-Clumping Paper
- ökocat Dust-Free Unscented Non-Clumping Paper Pellet Cat Litter
- Fresh News Unscented Non-Clumping Paper Cat Litter
- Hartz Multi-Cat Strong Unscented Clumping Paper Cat Litter
- sWheat Scoop Multi-Cat Unscented Clumping Wheat Cat Litter
- Pioneer Pet SmartCat Unscented Clumping Grass Cat Litter
- ökocat Original Premium Wood Clumping Cat Litter
Overall Best Cat Litters for Declawed Cats
- Gives you a heads up if your cat has any internal issues
- Not made of clay, so your cat’s sensitive feet will be fine
- Quick-drying and quick-absorbing to ensure smells are minimized and eliminated
- Good for multi-cat households
Best Overall – It’s not enough to have a specialty litter, but you’ll want to make sure your cat makes use of its litter box as well. You can’t go wrong with Pretty Litter as many claim it is the world’s best cat litter.
Understanding how difficult it can be to converse with a cat, it’s even worse when they’re telling you something’s wrong. Whether it’s an infection, a blockage, a blood issue, or something else, all you hear is meow after meow.
What’s a way to check up on them? Use “the world’s smartest cat litter.” See what color the litter is. From detecting urinary tract infections to any acidity issues to blood infections, Pretty Litter tells you what you need to know from the comfort of the litter box.
Additionally, it hides the smells you don’t want to smell with top-notch odor control technology, is lightweight so your cat won’t sink into it when trying to scoop, and it won’t clump around or in their paw and bring unwarranted traction out of the litter box. It’s a silica gel-based litter, so there are no coarse granules to worry about, it’s virtually dust-free, and it’s a very clean and safe litter that your cat’s sensitive paws can manage.
- Absorbent, low-dust, silica-based litter
- Friendly litter soft enough for cat’s paws without claws
- Lightweight and easy to scoop
- Non-clumping so you use less litter
- Safe for cats due to the mineral composition of the litter
- Not scoopable; be mindful when cleaning the litter box
- Possible it may not work with your self-cleaning litter box
- Grass-based, so it’s super soft for both declawed cats and cat owners
- Produces little to no dust when cats go to clean up excess litter
- Pleasant smell for both the cat and the owner
- Affordable alternative to traditional kitty litter
Most Affordable – If you’re looking for an alternative to the silica-based soft crystal, go grass. Texture matters, so the super soft and lightweight Frisco All-Natural Unscented Clumping Grass Cat Litter is a bonafide option for your declawed cat. Between its natural odor control, its strong absorbency, and the fact that it’s biodegradable, this natural cat litter offers plenty of perks. It will keep your litter box clean and ensure that your picky feline will have a more enjoyable litter box visit.
Because grass produces little dust, you won’t have to worry about the dusty clouds that clay can produce while you’re scooping the litter. While it does clump, it’s not as textured as clay, so it’s softer on the sensitive paws, and it has no chemicals or fragrances that would be toxic to the cat.
- 100% grass ingredients without any additives
- Dye-free and chemical-free
- Forms clumps quickly for effective odor reduction and easy cleaning
- Ideal for multi-cat households
- Possible draw for moths and larvae
- Potential for the litter to not clump as effectively as advertised
- May not cover the urine smell as effectively as advertised
Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Touch of Outdoors Unscented Clumping Clay & Natural Prairie Grasses Cat Litter
- Infused with actual prairie grass to bring the outdoorsy feeling indoors
- Chemical-free, so it’s safe for your cat
- Does not produce airborne dust when kicked up and around for clean-up
- Minimal odors produced, even in a multi-cat home
Most Popular – Something to consider when having a declawed cat is how often (if ever) you let it outside. Some cats are comfortable being an indoor/outdoor cat, yet others are either too tiny and fragile or too vulnerable to be let out of the confines of a safe home. That said, there’s always a way to bring a piece of the outside world inside. Welcome to Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Touch of Outdoors Unscented Clumping Clay & Natural Prairie Grasses Cat Litter.
A soft, grass-containing, clumping cat litter that is safe and effective for cats with sensitive paws, this clay-based litter is super effective for bringing a touch of outside to the inside of your home. Your cat will appreciate what’s happening inside its litter box. An odor-free, easily-scoopable, fresh-scented litter that is absorbent and clumps with relative ease is an effective alternative to traditional clay-based litters.
- Beneficial for multi-cat households
- Affordable alternative to traditional litters
- Good for stubborn cats who are accustomed to another type of litter
- Effective odor control
- Possibly difficult to handle
- May clump more heavily and easily than other clay-based litters
Seven More Top-Rated Silica Crystal Cat Litters
Since we want you to have as many options as possible we included another seven cat litters that are proven to be great for declawed cats.
“Yesterday’s news” is more than just a missed alert on your cell phone or the article from the newspaper. You’ll want to look into Yesterday’s News Original Unscented Non-Clumping Paper Cat Litter as a perfect soft litter for declawed cats. With recycled paper as the base, this soft texture litter is supremely absorbent – up to three times as absorbent as clay), is eco-friendly, and virtually 100% dust-free.
It’s non-clumping to the benefit of the soft-pawed cat, and it’s unscented, so no harmful chemicals are loaded into the litter, and good for multi-cat households and other pets (including puppies, ferrets, and guinea pigs). It can be messy when cleaning the litter box, has minimal odor control, and can be difficult to scoop. Still, it’s an affordable option for a cat with sensitive feet or wanting something a bit softer than traditional clay litter.
Another paper-based litter to consider for declawed cats, ökocat Dust-Free Unscented Non-Clumping Paper Pellet Cat Litter is another very affordable option on the market. Constructed from white paper fiber and fortified with plants for odor control, the absorbent paper pellets leave minimal tracking when your cat exits the litter box. And, fun fact: the litter is biodegradable and flushable, which you do not see very often.
Without artificial fragrances or additional chemicals, this clean, allergy-friendly, and eco-friendly litter will be a nice reprieve for sensitive paws. Something to consider: because it is paper-based, the absorption power may be limited, as urine and feces smells over time may linger. The plant-based odor control may only work to a point and could get mildly chunky when wet, but the ökocat Paper Pellet Litter is regarded as a solid alternative to some of the other litters to buy for your furry friend(s).
Fortified with baking soda for ammonia-locking technology and 100% allergic-free pellets, Fresh News Unscented Non-Clumping Paper Cat Litter leaves minimal tracks once your cat handles its business. While it doesn’t clump, the paper-based pellets allow you to see where your cat did its thing for easy and maximum scooping. The litter is 99% dust-free, retains more moisture than other litters, and has low tracking, so your cat doesn’t bring the litter from the box to the couch or bed.
The litter is good for additional household pets like a rabbit or small pig, has strong odor-reducing properties, and is extremely environmentally-friendly. Some users found it may not break down, and other recycled material pellets could be a little too large for a cat with sensitive feet. However, if you’re looking for an eco-friendly litter that will suffice for your pets, Fresh News cat litter is one to consider.
Made from recycled paper and possessing the ability to clump like traditional clay litter, Hartz Multi-Cat Strong Unscented Clumping Paper Cat Litter can be your ultra-affordable and go-to alternative to clay litter. With color-changing technology turning the litter blue, being 99% dust-free for 100% allergy alleviation, and being extremely scoopable, this product will work wonders for your litter box. Plus, any litter good for a multi-cat household is one to consider if you have more than one feline in your midst.
Some cats will take to it, and others may not so easily, and some cat owners report that it tracks a little too much for their liking when their cats finish in the litter box. Others reported a faint odor when the urine or feces sat too long, rendering the odor-blocking pellets useless. However, owners like the lightweight nature of this clumping litter and its composition as an alternative to clay litters. Many owners reported it being the only litter they buy or the preferred litter for their cats.
While we’ve discussed paper-clay blends as a soft-pawed cat option, wheat is a new one. With the ability to trap odors on contact and dye-free and chemical-free, sWheat Scoop Multi-Cat Unscented Clumping Wheat Cat Litter may have you think twice about buying paper products for your cat. It’s flushable, helps control ammonia and other scents, and boasts a 100% biodegradability status.
Some owners say it will track outside the litter box, doesn’t have as long of a shelf life as advertised, and may not clump as well as intended. Other owners report that while it’s for a multi-cat household, more than one cat may be a bit too much for the product. All that is to say that a wheat-based litter is as good enough as some of the paper-based litters for sale and its price point lends itself to be a good substitute for other litters you may look to acquire.
Specifically designed to have near-zero odor emissions and virtually no dust, Pioneer Pet SmartCat Unscented Clumping Grass Cat Litter works double-time to keep your cat’s litter box scent-free and clean. It’s super-absorbent, clumps quickly around feces to control foul smells, absorbs urine quickly, and has minimal tracking for easy clean-up should spillage occur. Many of the features are thanks to the grass-infused composition of the litter.
While some owners report excessive tracking due to the clumping nature, others will say the exact opposite. Some say there’s no odor control and others dispute it by claiming it’s excellent to eliminate odors. Owners tout its clumping capability and low dust production. Also, its price point creates repeat customers. Pioneer Pet litter is a great litter for declawed cats.
Sourced from wood fibers and made to be soft to the touch, ökocat Original Premium Wood Clumping Cat Litter was engineered for the declawed cats or cats with sensitive feet. Flushable, 99% dust-free, and sustainably sourced for that environmentally-friendly component sought after in alternative litters. It absorbs urine quickly to reduce odors, clumps quickly for a hassle-free scoop, is free of artificial dyes or fragrances and is light on the wallet.
Some owners have mentioned that the clumping agent leaves a residue in the litter box, so it must be cleaned more frequently than desired. Others have complained that the clumping agent isn’t as effective in reducing odors as advertised. Moreover, some have said that tracking is an issue.
Other owners have experienced completely different results: that the tracking is minimal, the odor control is amazing, and the clumping works extremely well. If you’re looking for something other than clay or paper, wood may be an option. If you’re looking for a soft-to-the-touch litter, then ökocat wood litter is your best bet.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I know what is best for my cat? The good news is that all of these litters are for both clawed and declawed cats. While this list is for cats with sensitive paws, it’s a matter of personal preference. Check for litters that don’t clump, so they don’t track and get stuck in the nail grooves, and from there, it’s on you to decide. All the above litters are reasonably priced and have similar features, so it’s up to you to find out what’s best for your cat.
- With the features that Pretty Litter boasts, is that an acceptable substitute for a veterinary visit? No. While Pretty Litter is designed to give you a general idea of your cat’s health, please do not take it or any other color-changing litter at face value. It may detect an issue, but consult a veterinarian for any specific undiagnosed issues your cat may have.
- If I find a safe and effective litter, how can I buy multiple bags? The litters above are on Chewy.com, and they have a convenient auto-ship feature so you’ll never run out of kitty litter again. Additionally, you’ll save money by selecting an auto-ship plan and buying more than one bag at a time, should you choose.
When it comes to pampering your declawed kitty, you can’t go wrong with any of the soft-pellet litter options on the market. With the right litter, your cat may find their litter box a more comfortable place to do business, which leads to fewer accidents (and fewer angry mewlings on the subject).
Whether you buy a product regarded as the smartest litter in the world or something that brings a little of the good ol outdoors inside, ensure that you pick a litter product that won’t track easily and will effectively contain odors. Having litter stuck in your cat’s paws is not good for their health, and too-rough litter can be tough on sensitive paws. Plus, you want to ensure you’re not cleaning up their mess more frequently than necessary, so odor-fighting features are essential. Thankfully, these top options will help you care for your cat and their unique needs.