The Pembroke Welsh Corgi is known worldwide, favored companions of royalty as wells as happy playmates in the local dog park. Originally bred to be herding dogs, they like to take charge and can be surprisingly quick and agile for only coming in about a foot tall!
Corgis are playful, affectionate, and love to go on adventures with their favorite humans, and that can lead to needing a good scrub sometimes. The Corgi has a two-layer coat; the outer layer is a coarse stiffer fur that repels dirt and water both and a softer undercoat that helps regulate temperature. They do shed year-round, extra in the spring when they’re getting rid of their winter coat, and do best with weekly if not daily brushing. About once a month works best for baths unless, of course, a particularly messy adventure has occurred. Below is a list of the best shampoos out there for your Corgi.
What Is The Best Shampoo For Corgis?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo
- Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoos for Corgis
Below are six various kinds of shampoo and how they answer specific needs.
- Medicated – All breeds can end up with skin allergies, bacterial infections, or other skin conditions that need specific treatment. Medicated shampoos are designed to treat those infections at the source and usually provide relief to any associated itching. The bottle should list what conditions the shampoo will work best for, such as bacterial infections or seborrhoea (hotspots). Biting and scratching at the skin can cause hair loss and lead to deeper infections that would require veterinarian care, so it is important to treat these conditions at the first sign.
- Hypoallergenic – The double coat of a Corgi is great for the weather but leaves them susceptible to skin allergies as the allergens can become trapped beneath the two layers. Using a hypoallergenic shampoo can easily remove those allergens from their coat before they lead to dry, itchy skin and can be gentler on them than a medicated shampoo. Many dogs can also have allergic reactions to the ingredients in some shampoos, so if you have noticed your dog scratching an unusual amount directly after a bath, you may need to try switching to a hypoallergenic shampoo.
- Deodorizing – The “wet dog” smell from saturated fur is natural and usually goes away after they dry. However, an odor that lingers even after a regular bath may be from a skin condition, a skunk encounter, or be caused by a variety of sources. That odor needs a shampoo designed specifically for deodorizing. Always be sure to work the shampoo deep into their fur, past the undercoat, to reach the skin to make sure the source of the odor gets removed.
- Tearless – Using any shampoo around a dog’s face must be done carefully, and rinsing should be done gently to ensure none gets in their eyes. A tearless shampoo can help if your Corgi is particularly playful in the bath and will cut down on the burning or stinging sensation they may get from regular shampoo
- Waterless – If your Corgi has gotten into something and you don’t have time for a full bath, a waterless shampoo is your answer. These shampoos work as a foam, spray, or powder that absorbs dirt and oil, leaving a refreshed coat that doesn’t need to be rinsed with water. These are great options to keep in your car if you routinely take your Corgi riding with you. On the off chance they get into mischief while you are out, the waterless shampoo can make the ride back a lot more pleasant for everyone.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Anti-Fungal/Anti-Bacterial – Anti-fungal and anti-bacterial shampoos work specifically to get rid of bacterial or yeast infections your dog may develop. They are usually categorized as medicated shampoos though they are not quite the same and work by helping to eliminate both the underlying condition and the symptoms. Many shampoos will have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties listed in their descriptions, even when the shampoo is geared towards the symptoms, like hypoallergenic or calming shampoos. It is always a good idea to check if the shampoo is multi-purpose.
- Dander Control – Corgis shed year-round, and with shedding comes dander. For people who suffer from allergies, a dander control shampoo can remove some of the allergens before they can get into the air. These shampoos usually have fresh, pleasant scents as well that lingers long after bath time.
- Sensitive Skin – IThe Corgi double-layered coat is great for protecting them from the weather but can also lead to trapped irritants close to the skin. Many dogs have sensitive skin that can react to some shampoos, allergens, skin infections, and other irritants with dry, itchy skin, flaking, or hair loss from biting. Shampoo, specifically designed to be used on sensitive skin, can alleviate a lot of these symptoms
- Skin & Coat Health – Shampoos that focus on skin and coat health have extra ingredients like shea butter, Omega-6 fatty acids, and emollients to help keep your dog’s coat and skin looking their best. With coarse outer fur and a thick undercoat, Corgis can benefit significantly from a skin & coat shampoo that leaves their fun softer and healthier.
- Itch & Redness Remedy – Dogs that begin scratching excessively or show signs of red, irritated skin can benefit from shampoos that contain ingredients to calm these symptoms. Some are hypoallergenic, and others are a medicated variety. Depending on the cause of the skin condition, there is a variety to choose from, and a veterinarian can advise if you aren’t sure which to use.
- Calming – Calming shampoos are good for dogs with sensitive skin that tends to react strongly to irritants. They contain naturally soothing ingredients or possibly medication of some kind intended to calm any itchiness or redness and can usually be found with hypoallergenic or medicated shampoos.
Overall Best Shampoo for Corgis
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Corgis|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats ||CHECK PRICE|
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control ||CHECK PRICE|
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Earthbath Shed Control ||CHECK PRICE|
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut ||CHECK PRICE|
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me ||CHECK PRICE|
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover ||CHECK PRICE|
- Made from pure botanical extracts and natural ingredients
- Also safe for human use and not tested on animals
- Soap- and alcohol-free
- Lathers easily and rinses cleanly
- A natural deodorizer using wheat protein
The best over shampoo, Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner, will leave your Corgi’s thick fur feeling soft and healthy. The shampoo and conditioner combination is made from botanical extracts and natural ingredients such as sage, rosemary, aloe vera, mint, and chamomile. These ingredients can soothe irritated skin, condition coarse fur, and leave your Corgi smelling fresh and clean.
Buddy Wash Shampoo is soap- and alcohol-free and has a coconut base to promote healthy skin and fur. Works well on both puppies and adult dogs and can soothe sensitive skin while deodorizing strong odors.
- Fur and skin both benefit from the botanical extracts
- Ingredients sourced in the US
- Natural deodorizer and gentle on sensitive skin
- Safe to use on puppies and adult dogs both
- No animal testing
- Does not work to repel fleas
- The wheat protein can cause a reaction in dogs with a wheat allergy
- Free of dyes and parabens
- Contains oatmeal to help soothe irritated skin
- Oat proteins nurture the skin
- Contains chamomile extract and is good for sensitive skin
- Certified Organic Aloe Vera Juice works to help skin hydration
Most Affordable Corgi Shampoo –
Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs and Cats is a soothing shampoo that works well for soothing irritated skin while leaving fur soft and healthy. The Certified Organic Aloe Vera Juice and the chamomile extract promote healthy skin and encourage skin hydration while being gentle on sensitive skin.
Soothing irritated skin and providing a healthy coat at a reasonable price all make Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo a good option for your Corgi. The light almond base scent has been known to leave an unappealing smell lingering in their fur. Still, the benefits in reducing itch and irritation, resulting in a calmer dog, can easily outweigh any downside.
- Soothes and calms irritated skin
- Healthy skin and coat
- Reasonably priced
- Hypoallergenic, dye- and paraben-free
- Can irritate eyes if it comes in contact
- Almond scent may be unappealing to some after the fur dries
- Fresh, spring waters scent to help remove odors
- Can be used with topical flea and tick treatments
- Shampoo and conditioner combined for healthy coats
- Neutralizes and deodorizes, leaving coat healthy and pleasant smelling
- Gentle on sensitive skin, soap- and tear-free
- It does not contain any dyes or perfumes.
Best Corgi Puppy Shampoo – Odor in a puppy’s fur may have come from something they rolled or played in, or it could be coming from a skin condition or microorganisms in their coat. To get rid of this kind of odor, you need to neutralize the cause and deodorize the fur. Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control is a combination shampoo and conditioner that is tearless and gentle on a puppy’s sensitive skin.
This shampoo can be used along with topical flea and tick treatments, does not contain any dyes or perfumes and is soap-free. Nature’s Miracle a natural Cocoa Surfactant shampoo that not only cleans the fur but reduces static electricity.
- Reasonable price.
- Fresh scent while bathing
- Works well to remove the underlying cause of the odor
- Leaves your puppy’s fur soft and silky
- Good for sensitive puppy skin
- Pleasant scent while bathing wears off quickly after drying
- Veterinarian created formula using essential oils and natural ingredients
- Designed to remove allergens and alleviate the symptoms of irritated skin
- Fresh, clean scent
- Provides quick relief for itchy skin
Allergy and Itch Control Shampoo for Corgis – Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo works fast if your Corgi has itchy or irritated skin by removing the allergens causing the discomfort and soothing the skin. Formulated by veterinarians, the natural ingredients include oatmeal and tea tree oil that work to calm irritations and are gentle on sensitive skin.
This shampoo can be used in conjunction with topical flea and tick treatments and, unlike some strong medicated shampoos, does not have to sit on your dog’s fur for more than a couple of minutes.
- Gentle on sensitive skin and good for treating skin allergies
- Gives their coat a healthy shine
- Leaves a pleasant smell
- It does not have to sit on your dog’s fur. It can be rinsed off within a short time
- Hard to apply as it does not lather well, which may result in using more than necessary.
- Not for puppies less than 12 weeks old.
- Regulates inflammation, reduces irritation with Lipacid
- Leaves a film on the skin, resistant to being rinsed off, that helps to protect against further irritants.
- The ingredients chlorhexidine and climbazole are used to control bacteria and fungi populations.
- Another ingredient, Salicyloyl-Phytosphingosine, has anti-inflammation and anti-seborrheic properties to provide relief from itching.
Fungal and Bacterial Infections – The Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo is very effective against infections from bacteria or yeast. It also works well in treating skin irritation and hotspots (seborrhea) that cause a lot of scratching and possible loss of hair. Multiple types of skin conditions, from mild to severe, can be treated with Duoxo. It contains moisturizing ingredients such as chlorhexidine, climbazole, and phytosphingosine that are effective against irritated skin.
Duoxo also lathers well and only needs a small amount per wash, which helps as the price is on the higher end. It leaves fur feeling clean and soft with a pleasant smell while providing quick relief to your dog’s skin within just a few washes. Warning: Hazardous if ingested by animals or humans. Avoid contact with the eyes.
- A small amount can lather up well
- The high price is mitigated by only using a small amount each time
- Effective against multiple types of infection
- Easily rinsed and leaves a pleasant smell
- It offers smooth and silky fur.
- Price is at the high end of medicated shampoos
- Needs 10 minute to soak in and work properly
- Natural moisturizers, emollients, and proteins
- Hypoallergenic and good for sensitive skin
- Soap-free and contains the ideal pH balance for dogs.
- Promotes moisture and skin hydration
- Non-stripping, non-drying, promoting a healthy coat
Soap Free & Hypoallergenic – HyLyt Shampoo for Dogs & Cats is a hypoallergenic shampoo that can help with skin allergies and the related symptoms of dry, itchy skin. HyLyt contains emollients and proteins that assist with conditioning fur to make it softer and less prone to matting. It is also pH balanced specifically for dogs, which can help reduce skin irritation.
If your Corgi has hotspots (seborrhea) or itchy flaky skin, HyLyt uses essential fatty acids to reduce scaling and flaking while nourishing the skin. A Corgi’s thick undercoat can trap allergens close to the skin, so using a hypoallergenic shampoo like HyLyt can help reduce irritations.
- Leaves a pleasant smell that lingers
- Rinses cleanly and easily
- Reduces flaking and scaling from some skin conditions
- Lathers easily and well with a small amount, useful for thick coats.
- Flea and tick products can gain some benefit from interacting.
- Some ingredients are sourced from other countries
5 Other Top-Rated Corgi Shampoos
Corgis shed quite a bit, so the Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo is an excellent option if you want to cut down on some of the excess fur. Made to nourish your dog’s skin and retain moisture with organic shea butter and glycerine, it also contains green tea extract and omega-6 fatty acids for skincare and damage repair. Earthbath will leave your Corgi with healthy skin and fur and less shedding.
Tropiclean Luxury 2-in-1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo works great to moisturize the skin using papaya and kiwi and uses mango and coconut to reduce tangles. The tropical scent lingers even in thick fur, and the 2-in-1 formula provides a little extra boost from the conditioner.
Corgis don’t need baths more than once a month, but they do need the occasional freshening up in between. A waterless shampoo like Ark Naturals, made with a natural botanical formula, will clean off dirt, oils, and lingering smells without the need for a full bath. Just apply the foam and let it work. Great for traveling dogs! Keep a bottle in the car for any unexpected needs.
Aside from their range of products for humans, Burt’s Bees makes many pet care products as well. Burt’s Bees uses natural products in their Oat Flour & Honey shampoo, which is pH balanced for a dog’s skin and does not contain chemicals such as artificial fragrances, parabens, or sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). And it comes in 80% post-consumer recycled packaging!
Allerpet Dog Dander Remover is a non-toxic and non-oily dander reduction product with a scientifically proven formula to help remove dander from your dog’s fur. Place it on a towel and wipe it down your dog’s fur without working it in. Allerpet Dog Dander Remover has been shown to reduce dander by up to 50% if done weekly. For Corgis, with their dual-layer coat, a quick brush beforehand will also eliminate loose fur, creating a better surface for the dander remover to work.
Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Corgi
The seven major points to bathing your Corgi:
- Before going in the bath, give your Corgi a once over with the brush, and a slicker if you have it, to remove as much excess fur and dirt as possible.
- Do not use hot water on dogs. Their skin is much more sensitive than a person’s, so only use lukewarm water.
- A calm, soothing stream of chatter will help keep your dog relaxed.
- Dog shampoo only!
- With thick coats, it’s important to rinse as thoroughly as possible.
- Corgis have an undercoat, which can make drying take a little while. Use a towel first, then a low-heat blow dryer. Human blow dryers usually run too hot, but if you have one with a cool option, that will also work.
- Make the bath a fun time with rewards and praise, so they want to get back in next time.
- What is the best shampoo for Corgis? Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo and Conditioner has the best overall formula for bathing your Corgi. If they have any underlying skin conditions or strong odors, they may need a specialized shampoo temporarily.
How often should you bathe your Corgi? Bathing isn’t needed more than once a month or so, but Corgis are shedders, so weekly brushing will help keep them in good shape in between baths.
- Why does my Corgi stink? Corgis have thick fur with an undercoat, and all of that fur can lead to smells and dirt being trapped within it, so it is important to keep them properly groomed to cut down on any smells in their fur. They may also suffer from skin allergies, which can lead to an odor but could be helped with treatment.
- Can I use human shampoos on Corgis? Dogs have very specific requirements for their skin. A shampoo that is too acidic can actually dry out their skin leading to scratching or an unhealthy coat. Human shampoo should not be used as it does not have the right pH balance for a dog’s skin.
- Why does my Corgi still stink after a bath? Short-haired dogs, like Corgis, can get a “wet dog” smell after baths when the oils in their fur or on their skin react to the dampness. Once they dry, that smell will usually go away. If it doesn’t, you may need to check if an underlying skin condition may be present such as a bacterial or yeast infection, at which point a deodorizing shampoo may be in order.
Shampoo for every type of dog seems to exist, making the selection process seem daunting. Corgis have specific needs, so start with identifying those, and you can begin to filter out the ones that don’t qualify. For example, the short, thick outer fur with an undercoat that Corgis have may not need a shampoo that focuses on detangling but rather one that cuts down on shedding. A little trial and error may be needed, but once you find the right shampoo, your Corgi will thank you for it.