- What Is The Best Shampoo For Corgis?
- 6 Different Types of Shampoos for Corgis
- 6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Overall Best Shampoo for Corgis
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats, Almond Scent
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural Puppy Shampoo & Conditioner
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Essential Fatty Acids for Dogs & Cats
- 5 Other Top-Rated Corgi Shampoos
- Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Corgi
Corgis are known for many great attributes, including being intelligent, playful, and loyal to their families. But, as they were originally bred to herd, they can be bossy and assertive at times, and their temperament can make them tricky with very young children. They are amazing dogs though!
But, just like all other breeds, Corgis need an occasional bath (even if they don’t want too). And, given the huge array of shampoos that are currently available on the market, it can be a little tricky to figure out which type is best for your furry friend. So, to help you out a little, we have put together some information about some of the best shampoos around. We always recommend that you speak to a veterinary expert though, to assist where needed.
What Is The Best Shampoo For Corgis?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo
- Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoos for Corgis
There are 6 common types of shampoo that are used to bathe Corgis:
- Medicated – When dogs have conditions that include skin concerns or skin allergies, medicated shampoos are often used. Such concerns or conditions can include itchy or dry skin, bacterial infections, and seborrhoea skin conditions. There are a great deal of medicated shampoos that treat or manage almost every skin condition however with the consultation of a vet or professional the underlying problem or concern can be identified and the appropriate medicated shampoo on the market can be utilized.
- Hypoallergenic – Sometimes skin irritations can occur due to allergies or allergens, which is why hypoallergenic shampoo has been created. Hypoallergenic shampoo is ideal for Corgis that suffer from skin conditions or concerns related to certain ingredients in shampoos. These types of shampoos will help settle a Corgis skin if they are susceptible and offer them some comfort in many ways.
- Deodorizing – Almost everyone has experienced that ‘dog’ smell before, and it usually isn’t a pleasant one. So, to counter that unpleasant odor from your Corgi, using a deodorizing shampoo is a great choice. It provides a deep clean, right down to the skins, and offers odor control in a variety of ways. Never experience a smelly dog again!
- Tearless – Tearless shampoo is not too dissimilar to the human tearless shampoo, as it helps with the sensation of burning or stinging of the eyes. By using tearless shampoo, even the most cautious of Corgis can avoid any of the issues of getting shampoo in their eyes. By using tearless shampoo, the shampooing and cleaning process can become a far more enjoyable one for both owner and Corgi.
- Waterless – One shampoo that helps avoid the whole bathing experience is waterless shampoo. Waterless shampoo is very similar to dry shampoo for humans in that it usually comes in a gel, foam, spray, or powder form. It does not need to be rinsed or washed out and works by drawing out the excess dirt and oil from a Corgis skin.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Anti-Fungal/Anti-Bacterial – The ideal shampoo that contains anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties are usually those that are classified as medicated shampoos. If your Corgi is suffering from yeast or bacterial infections, or mange, anti-fungal and/or anti-bacterial shampoos can offer great relief from itching, as well as potentially providing a cure for the underlying issue. Check your shampoo label to see if they have anti-fungal and/or anti-bacterial properties as many do.
- Dander Control – If you suffer from allergies, then dander control shampoo is already something you have likely considered. Choosing to wash your Golden Retriever in dander control shampoo can assist with allergy control and the removal of pet allergens, which can make a pet owners life a lot more pleasant.
- Sensitive Skin – It is quite common to have a Corgi with skin allergies, and when they do the best shampoo for their needs must be chosen. Sometimes if a shampoo isn’t quite right for their sensitive skin is being used can lead to a worsening of the skin condition. Gentle ingredients are ideal as they soothe any discomfort and also smell great!
- Skin & Coat Health – Ensuring that your Corgi’s skin and coat are happy and healthy is a big part of looking after their happiness. If you find that your dog’s coat is dull and/or their skin is looking irritated or red, this may be signs that a skin & coat health shampoo is needed. From skin moisture to omegas to medicated options, there are a lot of choices when it comes to skin & coat health for your Corgi.
- Itch & Redness Remedy – A common concerning skin issue is itchiness and redness, and this could be due to a range of factors. There might be an underlying issue or a food/skin allergy causing this issue and there are several shampoos designed to soothe and treat these issues. These shampoos are ideal in treating itchiness and redness as well as the possibility of scratching and sores. More often than not these shampoos are also medicated or hypoallergenic which will most likely soothe the issues faced by your Corgi.
- Calming – Calming shampoos offer soothing principles to a Corgi’s skin if it is irritated and red. These kinds of shampoos may also be called sensitive skin options, as well as those for itch & redness and medicated. They generally contain simple ingredients with calming properties, to assist with sore skin.
Overall Best Shampoo for Corgis
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Corgis|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats||CHECK PRICE|
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control||CHECK PRICE|
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Earthbath Shed Control||CHECK PRICE|
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut ||CHECK PRICE|
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me||CHECK PRICE|
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover||CHECK PRICE|
- Ingredients include natural conditioners and pure botanical extracts such as sage, aloe vera, rosemary, green tea, and chamomile.
- Completely alcohol-free.
- A 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner soap-free formula.
- It offers a rich lather easily and is simple to wash off.
- Coconut based and combined with lavender and mint, offering a soothing bath experience.
Overall, the best shampoo for a Corgi is the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner. It is a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner that offers a soap-free formula and contains cosmetic-grade botanical extracts and essential oils, meaning your canine will be smelling super fresh after every bath time.
Buddy Wash Shampoo is made from only simple and natural ingredients, such as green tea, aloe vera, lavender, and mint, so no harsh chemicals are being placed on your Corgi’s skin at any time. These shampoos are also safe for humans, as well as animals, and are made in the USA.
- Leaves skin silky, soft and shiny.
- Made in the USA.
- The inclusion of wheat protein in the shampoo is a natural deodorizer.
- Wheat protein is safe for frequent use on your furry friends (even puppies!).
- Not tested on animals and is safe for humans when used as directed.
- This formula does not offer flea repellence.
- It can cause issues for dogs with a wheat allergy.
- It does not contain any dyes or parabens.
- It contains oatmeal to soothe skin.
- Actively hydrates, protects, and nourishes the skin through the use of oat protein.
- Gentle shampoo.
- Contains Certified Organic Aloe Vera Juice to assist with skin hydration and coat health.
Most Affordable Corgi Shampoo – Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs and Cats is the most affordable Corgi shampoo on the market, offering a range of benefits for your furry four-legged friend. Oat protein is used to hydrate and protect, and chamomile extract is used to soothe, offering a balanced combination for great skin health and a beautiful coat.
This shampoo boasts a light almond fragrance however some feel that it loses its appeal after bath time is over, smelling a little unpleasant. All in all, however, this shampoo offers lots of positive features for its price point, making it a worthwhile and cost-effective purchase for Corgi owners to consider
- Helps relieve itching.
- Soft coat following washing.
- Affordable price point.
- Not tear-free.
- Can leave an odor after bathing.
- Fresh spring waters scent.
- Made in the USA and safe to use with topical products.
- 2-in-1 gentle shampoo and conditioner.
- Offers 4-in-1 benefits including neutralizing odors, deodorizing, skin and coat cleansing, and rich conditioning.
- Tearless and soap-free formula that is ideal for sensitive skin.
- It does not contain any dyes or perfumes.
Best Corgi Puppy Shampoo – If you have been lucky enough to introduce a gorgeous Corgi puppy into your life, you want to know that you are using the best shampoo to keep them fresh, clean and looking great. Nature’s Miracle offers a great odor control, 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner for your newest furry family member offering odor neutralization, deodorizing, skin and coat cleaning and conditioning
It is also tearless, gentle and does not contain any dyes or perfumes, as well as safe to use with any spot-on tick and flea products you may be using. Nature’s Miracle is also soap-free and is a natural Cocoa Surfactant shampoo, meaning it offers a thorough clean as well as reduced static electricity.
- Affordable price point.
- It offers a soft and silky coat.
- Great odor deodorization.
- Makes your puppy smell great.
- Gentle on puppy skin.
- Good scent does not last long.
- Formulated by veterinarians with a balanced range of essential oils and natural ingredients.
- Designed to wash away allergens, which results in the soothing of sensitive skin and improves itchiness.
- Designed to leave your Corgi smelling fresh and clean.
- Offers itch relief for both allergies and skin irritations.
Allergy and Itch Control Shampoo for Corgis – Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo is the perfect choice if you are looking for a shampoo for either allergies or itch control (or both) for your Corgi. Full of oatmeal, d-limonene, and tea tree oil, this shampoo provides a range of natural ingredients to assist with sensitive skin and help control itchiness in Corgis of all sizes.
This particular Vet’s Best shampoo does not affect topical flea and tick treatments, which is a bonus in so many ways. It also washes away any allergens that could be causing problems to your Poodle’s skin, and it smells great doing it. We highly recommend this one!
- Great scent.
- Suitable for both sensitive skin and skin allergies.
- Super silky and shiny coat.
- Do not have to leave on your dog for extended periods.
- Made in the USA.
- It does not lather well.
- Cannot be used on puppies under the age of 12 weeks.
- Seborrhea and inflammation are regulated through the use of Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl and lipacid as well.
- A film that offers irritation protection and defies rinsing is deposited on the skin after use to avoid moisture loss.
- It contains both chlorhexidine and climbazole – both of which assist with bacteria control and control of fungi populations.
- Lipacid assists with restoring the skin barrier through moisturizing and providing a lipo-protidic file deposit.
- Formula contains 3.0% Chlorhexidine Gluconate, 0.5% Climbazole, and 0.05% Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl.
Fungal and Bacterial Infections – The Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo is a great option if your Corgi is suffering from skin inflammation caused by bacteria or a yeast infection, as well as seborrhea (or ‘hotspots’). It lathers up well without having to use a lot of product which, considering its higher price bracket, is a great thing as it lasts a lot longer! Duoxo contains ingredients with a range of moisturizing ingredients such as chlorhexidine, climbazole, and phytosphingosine to help with both superficial and severe skin conditions.
Not only does it help with skin irritations, but it also leaves your Corgis coat feeling super smooth and healthy, as well as having a pleasant smell that isn’t too medical-like. You will likely see results after only a few washes, making it a great choice for any Corgi who needs relief sooner rather than later. And it makes them look nice and clean too!
- Lathers well.
- Cost-effective, as lasts a long time.
- Anti-microbial and anti-yeast.
- Pleasant smell.
- It offers smooth and silky fur.
- More expensive than other fungal shampoos.
- Has to sit on the coat for 10 minutes before washing.
- It contains natural moisturizing ingredients.
- Non-stripping and non-drying.
- Both gentle and hypoallergenic.
- Soap-free formula.
- Maintains skin hydration.
Soap Free & Hypoallergenic – HyLyt Shampoo for Dogs & Cats offers a gentle soap-free and hypoallergenic formula for Corgis of all shapes and sizes. The perfect pH balance and emollients for moisture and hydration ensure lower irritation to your dog’s skin, as well as protein for conditioning.
If your Corgi is a known suffered of seborrhoea, otherwise known as hotspots, HyLyt is full of essential fatty acids that nourish the skin, as well as helping to control both scaling and flaking. It is also non-drying and non-stripping and may even help with topical flea and tick products.
- Smells great.
- Easily rinsed.
- Helps control flaking and scaling caused by seborrhoea
- Great lather without having to use a lot of product.
- It can potentially benefit topical flea and tick products.
- Not all ingredients are from the USA.
5 Other Top-Rated Corgi Shampoos
Another option for shed control is the Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo, offering a nice fresh coat for your Corgi while controlling shedding. It contains organic shea butter, glycerin and allantoin, which are all ingredients designed to nourish dog skin and lock in moisture, in addition to green tea extract and omega-6 fatty acids, which work hard to protect the skin and repair any damage that can potentially cause shedding.
Another top-rated dog shampoo for your Corgi is Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo and Conditioner. It smells yummy and still does a good job washing your Corgi, offering a 2-in-1 formula that helps regulate moisture levels on the skin. There is also mango and coconut which help with tangled fur, and papaya, and kiwi to look after dry skin and get your Corgi’s coat looking great.
If you haven’t considered waterless shampoo before now, you definitely should! Ark Naturals offer a great waterless shampoo for those looking for something good without the need for bath time. This shampoo both cleans and refreshes your Corgi without bathing, with the shampoo foam providing everything you need to get your Corgi’s coat looking great. It consists of a natural botanical formula, offering you peace of mind when it comes to the product – and makes your furry friend smell great too.
Burt’s Bees offers great products for humans, but they also offer great products for Corgis. Made up of natural ingredients such as colloidal oat flour and honey, you know you are using trustworthy products on your pets. This shampoo is pH balanced and made in the USA without artificial fragrances, chemicals, parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, or sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), as well as being bottled in an 80% post-consumer recycled packaging. It moisturizes and promotes a healthy coat for your Corgi too!
Allerpet Dog Dander Remover is a scientifically proven formula to assist in the removal of dander from your Corgi before becoming airborne. Shown to reduce up to 50% of dander when used once a week, it is super easy to apply, and no bath time is needed – simply place Allerpet on a towel and wipe down your Corgi. This product is both non-toxic and non-oily, meaning it doesn’t allow the attraction for more allergens.
Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Corgi
There are seven major points when it comes to bathing your Corgi:
- Brush your dog before a bath, as matted hair can retain water and leave your furry friend with irritated skin.
- Use lukewarm water – roughly about the same temperature as you would run for a baby, as dogs have different skin to adults and hot water burns more easily.
- Keep chatting to your dog in a calm voice and always reassure them.
- Always use dog shampoo!
- Rinse well, as leftover soap can irritate skin.
- Either air-dry or use a blow-dryer for dogs – never use a human hair dryer, as this will be too hot.
- Reward your Corgi once it is all over with praise, pets, and/or play!
- What is the best shampoo for Corgis? – As long as your Corgi is not facing any major issues or skin concerns, the best shampoo is the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo and Conditioner.
- How often should you bathe your Corgi? – Although regularly bathing your Corgi isn’t necessary, bathing your Corgi once a month does help with any shedding that may occur. And keeps them smelling great too!
- Why does my Corgi stink? – Corgis can be a little stinky at times, due to their furry coat, otherwise known as ‘corgi glitter’. Atopy can also make your Corgi smell, caused by seasonal or food allergies.
- Can I use human shampoos on Corgis? – Human shampoos tend to be too acidic for dogs and can cause irritations, especially dry skin. When a dog skin does exhibit dryness, it can become more prone to parasites and bacteria. This is due to the pH level of a dog skin being vastly different to that of human skin.
- Why does my Corgi still stink after a bath? – Corgis, like all other dogs, can have that ‘wet dog’ smell after they have finished in the bath. This can be caused by natural oils and micro-organisms, like bacteria and yeast, which are found in your dog’s coat and on their skin. When these oils and micro-organisms get wet, they can give off an unpleasant odor, which is the smell you notice after bath time.
In conclusion, it can be seen that there is a shampoo for every shape, size, age, and breed of dog. From your Corgi puppy with sensitive skin to your older canine friend with skin allergies, the options are wide-ranging in price and ability. We always recommend speaking to a veterinarian before choosing a shampoo, however, once you find the one, your Corgi will be so much happier… and you will be too!