- What is the Best Dog Bed for Australian Shepherds?
- 6 Different Types of Dog Beds for Australian Shepherds
- 5 Key Considerations When Looking for an Australian Shepherd Dog Bed
- Overall Best Dog Beds for Australian Shepherds
- Puffy Dog Bed
- Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- ELUX Pet Bed
- Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
- Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Friends by Sheri, The Original Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed
- 7 Other Top-Rated Australian Shepherd Dog Beds
- Frequently Asked Questions
This dog is smart and beautiful and nimble and not for the average owner. Australian Shepherds are known for their herding abilities and have historically been the cowboy’s choice for herding. They are medium-sized dogs with coloring that varies widely from dog to dog. His tail is naturally bobbed.
The Aussie, as it is affectionately known, comes from a long line of herders. Its ancestors herded sheep on the Australian continent; however, they are descended from a European breed. They have an innate drive to herd anything that moves, so they can prove too much for certain pet owners. This intelligent beauty deserves a sophisticated and comfortable dog bed for its rest.
Aussies are generally very healthy dogs but should be checked for hip dysplasia, epilepsy, cataracts, and some types of cancer. Australian Shepherds sport a double-layer, waterproof coat that requires weekly brushing. They work hard outdoors and may track in a decent amount of dirt after being outside. They need to work and exercise regularly and are very high-energy. It’s important to keep this in mind as you search for the right dog bed for your Aussie.
What is the Best Dog Bed for Australian Shepherds?
- Best Overall: Puffy Dog Bed
- Best Orthopedic: Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Luxury: ELUX Pet Bed
- Best Chew Proof: Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
- Best Affordable: Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Elevated: Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Best Travel: Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Calming: Best Friends by Sheri, The Original Calming Shag Vegan
- FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow Dog Bed
- Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
- Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
- WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
- Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
- Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
- Wild One Dog Bed
6 Different Types of Dog Beds for Australian Shepherds
In the search for the right dog bed for your Australian Shepherd, you will encounter many different types, and the good news is, many brands you encounter offer excellent options for your pet. The hard part will be narrowing the field to consider only the options that would best suit your Aussie. Below is a list of six different types of dog beds that may help you narrow your search.
- Orthopedic. Orthopedic dog beds are made with fabric and mattress designs that will give your dog’s joints and bones the right level of pressure and support. They have often been known to relieve joint and muscle pains caused by aging and arthritis. Typically, most orthopedic beds are made of memory foam material that will conform to your dog’s shape.
- Pillow. Shaped like its name, pillow beds can be flat and rimless, or they can come with a partial or full rim around the edges. This kind of bed is usually very fluffy, soft, and comfortable. If your dog loves to lounge and stretch, this may be a great option for them.
- Elevated/Cooling. Cooling beds use breathable fabric and smart design to keep your dog cool. Elevated beds have the same effect, except they are beds designed to be off the ground. This allows the air to flow freely around them and keep them cool. In warmer climates, keeping your dog cool will be crucial.
- Heated. Heated dog beds use either electricity or body heat to generate warmth in the dog bed. Electric beds require an electrical outlet and plug, but other beds are designed with heat-reflective material that uses the body heat of your dog for warming. If you live in cooler climates, this may be a cozy option for your Aussie to warm up after being outdoors.
- Covered. Covered dog beds are cave-like and cozy. They have at least a partial if not a full covering over the length and width of the dog bed. Burrowers typically love this kind of dog bed, and it keeps them out of yours. If your Aussie shows that they like to climb under covers or hide in small places, they may enjoy this kind of dog bed.
- Sofa. Sofa dog beds are shaped like human sofas with a long base and a rim around three-quarters of the mattress. They may vary in fabric and support, but they generally all look like a tiny sofa for your dog. If your Aussie loves the couch, maybe consider buying them a miniature one such as this.
5 Key Considerations When Looking for an Australian Shepherd Dog Bed
There is much to consider when looking for a bed for your Aussie. It’s helpful to further narrow the field by considering your needs as well as theirs. Below are 5 key considerations to make when looking for a dog bed for your Australian Shepherd.
- Ease of cleaning. There’s not much that will keep an Aussie from herding, but especially not dirt or mud. Fortunately, their coat is waterproof, but that doesn’t mean they won’t track in dirt. Looking for a dog bed that is easy to wash and dry would be a smart move for a smart, and perhaps dirt-prone, dog.
- Durability. There’s nothing to say your dog will be destructive, but almost all dogs go through a destructive phase. Finding a bed that can sustain normal dog fidgeting and scratching is important. You want a bed that will last. Aussies are tough, playful, hard-working dogs, but even the best-behaved dog can become destructive without meaning to do harm.
- Lifestyle. Whether you work your Aussie as a herding dog or you find other ways to keep them exercised, theirs will likely be a very active lifestyle. But theirs isn’t the only lifestyle that matters. If you travel a lot or need to take your dog with you to more professional settings, you may be able to find a dog bed that exactly suits your needs.
- Age. Younger dogs need a comfortable place to sleep, but it may be more crucial for dogs as they age to have adequate support for their bones, muscles, and joints. With age often comes normal aging issues such as arthritis, and the right bed can soothe your dog’s aching joints. Though Aussies generally enjoy good health, it’s never a bad idea to give them the orthopedic support they need.
- Climate. Australian Shepherds have a double coat and shed a lot. Keeping him or her comfortable in whatever climate you live in is important. Find a bed that makes sense for your dog and the environment. If you live in a warmer climate, consider breathable, cooling fabrics for your pet. But if you live in a cooler climate, it may be nice for them to return to a warm bed each day.
Overall Best Dog Beds for Australian Shepherds
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Bed for Australian Shepherds|
|Puffy Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic||CHECK PRICE|
|ELUX Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|ChuckIt! Travel Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Friends By Sheri, The Original Calming Shag||CHECK PRICE|
|FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam||CHECK PRICE|
|Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress||CHECK PRICE|
|WFH High Memory Fiber Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Wild One Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
- Durable cover
- Lifetime warranty
- Cooling, washable
Overall Best Dog Bed For Australian Shepherds – The Puffy Dog Bed is our pick for the overall best dog bed. It offers a firm, pressure-relieving memory foam base and strong, supportive foam bolsters as sidewalls to add sufficient cushion for your dog’s head. With a machine-washable cover, it is easy to keep clean. This luxurious, sleek design is sure to keep your Aussie feeling pampered.
The high-density memory foam helps to distribute your dog’s weight evenly, but it is also breathable to keep your dog cool. Puffy offers a 101-night trial for this bed, meaning you can use it for 101 nights before deciding completely if it’s the dog bed for your Aussie. Additionally, it is covered under a lifetime warranty. Finally, its scratch-resistant, anti-tear cover will keep this bed intact.
- Memory foam
- Lifetime Warranty
- 101-night sleep test
- Moderately Expensive
- Removable cushion
- Stylish design
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed For Australian Shepherds – This 2-piece ped bed comes with a removable cushion and deep, bolstered rims. The cushion is double-sided with a soft cloud Sherpa on one side and a twill layer on the other side. Filled with polyester fiber filling, the cushion provides extra softness for your dog. For the Australian shepherd that likes to splay over the edges, this may be an attractive choice.
The convoluted foam base offers the orthopedic support your dog may need, and the bolster edges provide a good place for your dog to rest its head. The Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed is also easy to wash in a washing machine making it a great option for those dogs more inclined to be dirty. With gray chenille jacquard, this fashionable pet bed will fit with any home décor.
- Removable cushion
- Fashionable design
- May not be as durable as other brands
- Repels moisture
Best Luxury Dog Bed For Australian Shepherds – The Elux Pet Bed comes in two designs, both rimless pillow types. The Extra Plush is made with firm, full cushioning and high-quality fabric that makes it resistant to stains and moisture. The Memory Foam bed is an orthopedic option with gel-enhanced memory foam. This bed is 100% waterproof using LiveSmart technology encapsulation.
Both of the beds offer extraordinary durability, keeping the bed looking good and its fabrics intact. The Elux Pet Bed is washable and comes in a sleek, stylish design. The makers of these beds have extreme luxury in mind, and they do not disappoint. Your Aussie will be happy and rested with either of these options.
- Tough, durable fabric
- Quality materials
- Moisture and stain repellant
- One color
- Moderately expensive
- 200 Day Chew Warranty
- Resists water
Best Chew Resistant Dog Bed For Australian Shepherds – The Bully Bed Chew Resistant Dog Bed is made of a proprietary BullyTuf cover material that will resist damage from your dog’s chewing and digging. Its seams are reinforced with Kevlar, and all closures are Velcro. The cover can be removed to be washed, and the material is made to resist hairs.
This bed provides orthopedic support with certified-safe memory foam, keeping your Aussie’s joints comfortable for good rest. An industry leader with a 20-year warranty, this bed comes with a 200-day guarantee and is free of elements that may be toxic to your pet such as formaldehyde, phthalates, heavy metals, lead, mercury, and flame retardants. It would make a good, safe option for your Aussie.
- Moderately expensive
- Soft cloud Sherpa lining
- Modern design
- Bolster siding
Most Affordable Dog Bed For Australian Shepherds – This bed is incredibly affordable for your Australian Shepherd. With soft, cozy lining and bolstered edges, your dog is sure to find a comfortable spot to curl up in on this bed. The outer lining is an attractive geometric twill print with soothing colors, sure to fit beautifully in your home.
The Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed comes in a snug, rectangular shape. It is washable for easy cleaning and is filled with ultra-soft polyester fiber to give your dog a comfortable resting spot. Your Aussie will be happy with the coziness of this option.
- Stylish outer design
- Bolster siding
- May not be as durable as other brands
Best Elevated Dog Bed For Australian Shepherds – If you are looking for a good outdoor option where your Aussie can cool off after playing or working hard, the Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed may be worth consideration. It comes with a strong, powder-coated frame made of steel and a PVC-coated fabric that ensures durability. Its skid-resistant feet mean that this bed stays put and doesn’t pose a safety hazard to your dog.
This bed does require some assembly, but it comes with an assembly walk-through video. Additionally, the Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated dog bed is very easy to clean and doesn’t attract dirt and grime. Its elevated design keeps the air moving on all sides, ensuring your Aussie stays cool and comfortable.
- Requires assembly
- Resists water
Best Travel Dog Bed For Australian Shepherds – The Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed is good for the travel-loving or camping family. It comes with its own stuff sack, making packing and loading easy to do. Additionally, the material is made of a nylon and suede material that dries quickly and is soft to touch.
This pillow bed is good for any size dog and is sure to make your Aussie a happy camper. The Chuckit! Travel Pillow Bed is made to withstand any moisture that develops as a result of being outside. It’s also washable and breathable, keeping your dog bed cool and clean for the adventurous Aussie.
- One size
- Bolstered edges
Best Calming Dog Bed For Australian Shepherds – The Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed is sure to calm an anxious Aussie with its cozy design and soft fabric. The bolstered edge provides added support for your pet’s head, and the water-resistant nylon bottom will keep your floors clean, even if there is an accident. This bed also provides orthopedic support, easing your Aussie’s tired joints and muscles.
The soft, faux shag fir uses your dog’s heat to keep it warm in colder temps, and the raised edges are perfect if your dog likes to burrow. It can be washed in a machine and is also dryer safe. This dog bed comes in two colors and three sizes and is designed to keep your dog calm and cozy for the best rest.
- Bolstered edges
- Unknown durability
7 Other Top-Rated Australian Shepherd Dog Beds
This affordable, firm pillow bed has a memory foam core laminated to medical-grade polyurethane. The mattress is designed to cradle your Aussie’s body to ease muscle and joint pain. The step-on design provides an easily accessible bed for your pet, and the faux fur lining is sure to entice them with its softness.
The Brentwood Griffith Ped Bed comes in a pillow bed design made with durable, non-toxic materials. This orthopedic bed offers your dog room to stretch and firmness to keep it healthy and happy. With furniture-grade fabric, this durable bed is sure to withstand the wear and tear of daily use and can be easily washed. A waterproof liner keeps the two foam layers clean and dry from the occasional accident or spilled water bowl. With free shipping and free returns, this bed comes with a 3-year warranty for your purchase.
Made with 100% natural Dunlop latex, this pillow dog bed provides excellent support for your Aussie. The organic cotton cover is breathable and is coated with a natural fireproofing. Latex is also hypoallergenic and environmentally friendly, breaking down easily after use. The Latex Dog Mattress offers a handsome, sleek design for your pet and would make a durable, comfortable option for your Australian Shepherd.
Made with high-quality fabrics and velvety softness, this dog bed is sure to provide your pet with a comfortable place for optimal rest. The Work from Home Memory Fiber Bed provides orthopedic support with a dual-layer, fiber-topped inner cushion. It features a removable inner cushion and bolsters, though the bottom cushion is zippered to the base to keep it in place. It can be washed in a machine and is made to repel dirt and spills. With upholstery-grade fabric, this is surely a luxurious spot for your Aussie.
This dog bed is a snuggler’s dream with bolstered edges and a soft interior. The Dream Chaser Donut Bed allows your Aussie to burrow and dream with ease. The bed lining is reversible with a cooler side and a warmer side. This bed is created for dogs up to 25 pounds, making it a great fit for your Australian Shepherd. You’ll have to resist snuggling with them in this sweet bed.
This unique copper-infused pet mattress provides optimal firmness for orthopedic support. The inner cushion can be flipped for firmness, keeping your dog well-supported and healthy. The fabric is durable and washable, and enticingly soft. One side of the removable insert has a flat, firm surface while the other side comes textured for softness and increased breathability. According to the manufacturer, copper foam is a cooler option for your pet and is also more sanitary. The bed cover is easy to remove and wash and is sure to make your Aussie one happy, comfortable dog.
With a tiered foam mattress for ultimate comfort, the Wild One dog bed is a sleek, comfortable option for your Australian Shepherd. It comes with shallow rims for snuggling and a layered, poly-weave cover for maximum durability. This dog bed cover can be washed and hung to dry, and it has a water-resistant lining to protect against unexpected accidents. The design and color are sure to fit gracefully in your home.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best type of dog bed for an Australian Shepherd? The answer to this question depends largely on your dog and your lifestyle. For Aussies, though, one that is durable, easy to clean, and stain resistant might be worth considering. These are highly energetic dogs that play hard, so it may be worthwhile to consider an orthopedic option as well.
- Do orthopedic dog beds really help for Australian Shepherds? The right orthopedic dog bed for your dog will provide excellent support and comfort for your Aussie. Especially as they age, they may appreciate a bed with better weight distribution to keep his or her joints feeling rested. Younger dogs may not need the same orthopedic support as older dogs, but it is still a worthwhile consideration.
- Do Australian Shepherds need comfy beds? Yes! These happy, intelligent dogs will enjoy a nice place to rest. Otherwise, they may visit you in your bed.
- Is memory foam toxic to Australian Shepherds? This is a subject of debate among some. Some would say memory foam is often made with toxic materials while others would say they are harmless. If you are concerned, speak with your veterinarian and see what they would recommend.
Australian Shepherds are magnificent, sophisticated dogs. Energetic, playful, hardworking are all characteristics of this breed, and they need good rest to stay healthy and active. They shed and they herd, but they are also fiercely loyal to the family. As part of the family, you want to treat them with kindness and respect and help them stay healthy. Picking the right bed for them is a good start toward a long and happy life for your dog.