Powerful, distinct, and sleek, Boxers are magnificent dogs. With a regal presence, Boxers can grow to weigh from between 50 to 80 pounds depending on gender. They are intelligent and very active, playful dogs that make fiercely loyal pets. Boxers can be trained seeing-eye dogs, police dogs, or companionable guard dogs that typically love children.
Boxers require a regular and rigorous exercise and do not tolerate warm weather very well. Because they sport a short coat, it’s also important to consider the impact of cold weather on your Boxer. Boxers typically need relatively little grooming thanks to their short hair and can be kept looking sleek with a nutritious diet, occasional baths, and regular rub-downs. As with most pure breeds, boxers May experience a variety of common health issues including degenerative myelopathy, cardiomyopathy, bloat, seizures, and hip dysplasia. With a lifetime that typically spans 7 to 10 years, it’s important to keep your boxer healthy and happy, and one way to ensure maximum comfort is to choose the dog bed that best meets your boxer’s needs.
Boxers are incredibly athletic, playful dogs, and they need adequate rest to support their active lifestyle. They tend to be droolers, and if left alone for too long can be quite destructive. Though their hair is short, boxers do shed quite a bit, and if they spend time outdoors, don’t be surprised if they tend to track in mud or dirt. Finding a bed that fits this perky personality can be tricky.
What is the Best Dog Bed for Boxers?
- Best Overall: Puffy Dog Bed
- Best Orthopedic: Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Luxury: ELUX Pet Bed
- Best Chew Proof: Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
- Best Affordable: Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Elevated: Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Best Travel: Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Calming: Best Friends by Sheri, The Original Calming Shag Vegan
- FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow Dog Bed
- Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
- Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
- WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
- Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
- Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
- Wild One Dog Bed
6 Different Types of Dog Beds for Boxers
The good news for Boxer owners is that there a wide variety of beds to meet your dog’s health and lifestyle needs. A dog should have its own place to rest so that it, and you, can get good sleep. Dogs need to re-charge adequately just like we do! Keeping their bed and your house clean and comfortable are also important aspects to consider. When you begin the process of picking out the right bed, below are six different types that you might consider for your Boxer.
- Orthopedic Bed. Orthopedic beds offer the right level of support and comfort for your active Boxer. By supporting their spine and joints, you can be sure that your Boxer will get the rest it needs to stay happy and healthy. Typically, orthopedic beds are made of memory foam, but some may be constructed of equally-supportive materials. If your dog’s weight easily flattens the dog bed, it likely would not be considered orthopedic and well-suited for your boxer. The older a dog gets, the more important it may be to consider getting an orthopedic bed to address any achy joints or muscles, helping them to rest comfortably during the day and all night.
- Pillow Bed. Boxers love to lounge when they aren’t playing, and pillow bed with comfortable materials and a bumper or rim to rest his or her head upon may be the perfect style for your pup. Boxers love people, but being the warm-bodied animals that they are, they may need less heating material. They can also grow to be relatively long, so keep their size in mind when picking out the perfect pillow bed for your Boxer.
- Elevated/Cooling. Particularly if you live in a warmer climate, an elevated or cooling bed could provide your Boxer with maximum comfort during the warmer months. Being the active creatures they are, it’s important to not allow them to overheat. Elevated beds are typically sturdy and made with materials that will not stretch, but be sure to read reviews to see how others’ beds have fared with larger pets.
- Heated Bed. This may be a consideration for you and your Boxer if you live in colder climates. Boxers need ample exercise, so venturing out in the cold may be necessary, but with their short coat, they will likely need a warm place to retreat when they come back inside. Heated dog beds come in many different varieties. Some are made with self-warming materials that use the heat of the animal to keep it warm, and some are electric and use electricity such as a heating pad for your dog.
- Covered Bed. Covered beds are made with either a partial or full covering over the base of the dog bed. Though Boxers typically aren’t known for their burrowing needs, every dog is different. If you find that your Boxer loves to burrow under covers or sheets or in small spaces outdoors, then a covered bed may be a perfect option for your pet. This may also be something that a younger Boxer may enjoy and an older Boxer not so much. You know your pet best, so pick the right version for his or her needs.
- Sofa Bed. Most dogs, if given the chance, will choose the couch, and your Boxer may be no different. They play hard, and lying splayed across a sofa bed may be the perfect situation for your Boxer. Most come with a long base and a bumper fitted around no more than half of the bed. A sofa bed may be the perfect cool spot for your Boxer to rest after exercise.
5 Key Considerations When Looking for a Boxer Dog Bed
Finding the right bed to fit your Boxer is important for them and you. Be sure to shop around and maybe even test a few before you purchase if possible. Here are five things you might keep in mind when you head out to shop for the right dog bed for your Boxer.
- Lifestyle. It’s been mentioned many times already that your Boxer will be an active dog. They will require good exercise every single day, and they can easily over-heat if not careful. They also do not like to be left alone for very long, or they can become destructive. If they spend a good deal of time outdoors, it may be important to find a material and construction that is easily and quickly cleaned. You also need to consider your lifestyle and finding something that fits it. Whether you are a “homebody” or an avid traveler or someone who needs to make it to the office every day, you need to find a dog bed that fits your situation. Also, keep in mind how clean, tidy, or coordinated you feel about the interior of your home. That will matter when picking out a bed for your Boxer.
- Age. Dogs age similarly as we do, and they need adequate support for their aging bodies too. As active as Boxers are, they may experience some health issues later in life that will make it crucial for you to consider their ease and comfort in resting. It may be important to get a different bed for your Boxer that keeps their aging joints fully supported and comfortable.
- Shed. Despite having a very short coat, Boxers are shedders. Their short hair can collect anywhere, so keep this in mind when looking at the materials used to construct the dog bed you want to purchase. You want to be able to keep it clean and fresh so that your Boxer will pick it over your bed or couch any time.
- Size. Your Boxer may not be the largest dog on the block, but it also won’t be very small. Make sure you find a bed that adequately supports its size. Boxers may curl, but they also occasionally like to stretch out and relax. In this case, it’s most important to find a bed that fits their frame instead of finding the bed that fits your frame of mind.
- Durability. Every dog is different in their proclivity to chewing or digging, but we do know that if feeling particularly feisty for whatever reason, Boxers can be destructive. When searching for the right bed, you need to find a material that will last and can withstand the temperament of your Boxer. Look for fabrics that withstand washing, are strong and durable, and remember that sometimes, quality comes at a price. It’s better to pay the price for durability than to keep having to replace your pet’s bed.
After lengthy research, we identified several different categories of dog beds that we believe could be excellent choices for your Boxer.
Overall Best Dog Bed for Boxers
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Bed for Boxers|
|Puffy Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic ||CHECK PRICE|
|ELUX Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|ChuckIt! Travel Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Friends By Sheri, The Original Calming Shag ||CHECK PRICE|
|FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam ||CHECK PRICE|
|Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress ||CHECK PRICE|
|WFH High Memory Fiber Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Wild One Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
- Full support
Best Overall Dog Bed For Boxers – The Puffy dog bed features an easily-accessible, three-quarters bumpered bed that provides strong support and comfort for your Boxer. Designed to relieve pressure on the joints and body frame of any dog, your Boxer will find the restful haven they need after a long day of play in the Puffy dog bed.
The cover of the Puffy dog bed is washable and designed with durability in mind. Thanks to this quality construction, this dog bed is made to last. It also features a base layered with non-slip fabric to keep this bed from being a safety hazard in your home. The Puffy dog bed comes in 3 different sizes, the larger two of which may be best suited for your Boxer. The fabric of this bed is luxurious, soft, and breathable. Your Boxer is sure to be comfortable and cool with this design.
Just in case the worst happens, this dog bed comes with a guarantee. The Puffy dog bed is warrantied for the life of your pet. You can even give it a test trial for 101 nights to see if it is a good fit for your Boxer. It ships easily and in our opinion is the best in every category of dog beds. We highly recommend it.
- Orthopedic-level support
- Luxurious yet durable material
- Bumpered head support
- Pricier than others
- Single design
Best Orthopedic Bed for Boxers – With a convoluted foam base, the Frisco Orthopedic Bolster bed provides the support and comfort your Boxer needs to get great rest. Lined with chenille and soft cloud Sherpa, it may be a bit warm for Boxers in warmer climates, but it would be perfect for Boxers living in colder areas.
The bolstered rims provide your pet with a place to lay his or her head, and the machine-washable, durable fabric will keep the bed tidy and nice for your Boxer. It comes in two pieces to give your dog the best support possible. With a sleek, modern design, it will look good in the home or in a business, whatever your needs may dictate.
- Sleek design
- Soft material
- One color
- May not be as durable
- Strong material
Best Luxury Dog Bed For Boxers – With two options, Extra Plush or gel-enhanced Memory Foam, the Elux Pet Bed is designed with versatility in mind. Whether your dog spends significant time outdoor or indoor, or whether in a crate or kennel, the design and construction of the Extra Plush bed will meet your and your pet’s needs and wants. Created with five-inch thickness, the Extra Plush bed eases your arthritic aches and pains. The bed is highly-functional and will look good in any setting.
Two layers of memory foam, the top a gel-enhanced memory foam, provide optimal support for your pet. It can also be used outdoor or indoor and is stain-resistant and durable. Its ability to repel moisture may be particularly suited for the drool-prone Boxer. Sure to make your Boxer feel like the most privileged pet, the luxurious fabric is soft and cleans easily. Designed with the home in mind, it comes in soft, soothing neutral colors.
- Luxurious design
- Somewhat expensive
- Waterproof lining
- Orthopedic support
Best Chew Proof Bed For Boxers – If your pup is prone to chew, this durable bed is a perfect option for you. The Kevlar-reinforced seams and water-resistant material keep even the most destructive of animals from easily trashing his or her bed. Designed to withstand the gnawing kind of dog, the Bully Bed Chew Resistant Dog Bed is made to last. Bully Beds also use materials free of harmful toxins that could negatively impact you, your dog, or your family. The supportive memory foam gives your dog the orthopedic level of support it needs to rest easy.
Featuring a zippered cover, the Bully Bed Chew Resistant Dog Bed can be easily washed and is made with material designed to resist trapping dog hairs. If somehow your Boxer manages to destroy this bed, Bully Beds offers a 200 day Chew Warranty and replacement guarantee for your purchase. You will get the most out of your investment for your boxer with this dog bed.
- Warranty guarantee
- Somewhat expensive
- Great design
Most Affordable Dog Bed For Boxers – Luxurious, soft, and sleek, the Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat and Dog Bed features the best material to give your Boxer a regal place to rest. With rims surrounding most of the bed, your dog will have a place to lay his or her head. Designed with your home in mind, this dog bed will look good in any home or home office.
Filled with fluffy polyester fiber, the inside cushion provides great support for your Boxer’s resting needs. The cloud Sherpa lining is sure to keep him or her comfortable and warm, and the machine-washable material makes keeping it clean and fresh easy to do.
- Cozy and luxurious material
- Sleek design
- Not orthopedic
- Lacks a measure of durability
Best Elevated Bed For Boxers – For a dog that needs to stay cool, the Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog bed may be a great accessory for your Boxer. It provides an elevate, sturdy frame to support your pup’s body after playing hard. With durable, breathable fabric, it will keep the air flowing on all sides to keep your pet cool.
The material used for the Frisco Elevated Dog bed is designed to keep its shape and resist sagging. With skid-resistant feet, it does not pose a safety hazard to your or your dog. Great for an active dog, the Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog bed does require some assembly, but is not difficult to put together.
- Easy to Assemble
- Requires assembly
- Breathable material
- Travels well
Best Travel Bed For Boxers – Washable, breathable, and travel-ready, this dog bed comes in clutch for the ardent traveler. The Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed packs neatly in a stuff sack, ready for the next adventure. It comes in one size that will fit most dogs and appears to be well-suited for the Boxer breed. Also, the breathable material should keep your Boxer feeling cool and comfortable.
The bed features material that dries easily, making it great for a dog that likes to drool, but also can be great to withstand the normal moisture encountered when outside. The size and pack-out feature make it a great choice for your boxer if your family loves to explore.
- One size
- Orthopedic support
Best Calming Bed For Boxers – The Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler Cat and Dog Bed features luxurious softness with Vegan shag fur and designed to calm even the most anxious dog. With extra filling and supportive edge, it provides orthopedic support for a refreshing rest experience for your Boxer. This dog bed also comes with a water-resistant nylon bottom to keep the bed in place and to prevent unseemly leakage if accidents happen. An insulated layer radiates warmth for your pet, using your dog’s body heat to keep them warm.
The easy-to-wash design is perfect for the active lifestyle of a boxer, and the circular design keeps them feeling safe and secure. The Donut Cuddler comes in several different sizes making it easy for you to find the right fit for your pet. At an affordable price, this bed may be the perfect fit for your pet and your family.
- Unknown durability
7 Other Top Rated Boxer Dog Beds
Sporting a memory foam core that is laminated to medical-grade polyurethane, the FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow Dog Bed is supportive and comfortable for any pet. Soft and comfortable, it will keep your pet feeling pampered.
This bed is made to accommodate your Boxer’s weight by cradling it to soothe aching joints and muscles. The FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow Dog Bed may be the perfect pick for your active Boxer.
Made with luxury in mind, the Griffith Pet Bed sports a supportive and cozy design for your pet’s rest needs. Offering premium, non-toxic materials and double-layered, dense foam for maximum orthopedic support, it is a bed that supports not just your Boxer’s joints but also his or her overall well-being.
The Brentwood Griffith Ped Bed utilizes furniture-grade, washable material that endures even the roughest of pets. The cover can be easily removed and washed, and it looks stylish enough to match any interior design. Its stain-resistant fabric makes it the perfect bed for the playful, and sometimes dirty, Boxer.
Optimized for healthy joints and spine support, the SleepEz Latex Dog Bed uses environmentally-friendly, dense foam to keep your Boxer comfortable and well-rested. The material is highly breathable, making it a cool spot for your pet to relax. Also, the hypoallergenic fabric keeps your home and your pet free from harmful allergens and toxins.
Though highly durable, the eco-friendly bed breaks down quickly when it can no longer be used for your pet. It’s also made in the U.S.A. and ships free from the manufacturer. This may be a suitable fit for your pet and your preferences.
The Work From Home (WFT) High Memory Fiber Bed sports a functional and fashionable design. Made of high-quality microvelvet fabric, it delivers a sleep spot that is comfortable and well-supported for your pet.
This bed is easy to wash, and it is considered to provide orthopedic-level support for your dog. It is also stylish and made with upholstery-grade fabric for maximum durability. Known to repel dirt and spills, this bed will keep your Boxer’s spot clean and fresh for great sleep.
The Tall Tails Dream Chaser Donut Bed may be the right nesting place for your Boxer if that’s his or her preferences. Shaped like a donut, it is designed to snuggle your pup. It’s also designed to be reversible, offering one cooler side and one warmer side to keep your dog at the right temperature for great sleep.
Machine-washable and dryer-friendly, this bed is made for the busy family. With 100% polyester fill and a cotton and polyester blend cover, this bed is easy to clean. The Dream Chaser Donut Bed may be the right pick for your Boxer and your lifestyle.
This bed was designed by a mattress manufacturer, so you know that they have only the best sleep in mind. With a firm, copper-infused removable insert, this dog bed can be adjusted for firmness. Highly durable, this pet bed will leave your pup feeling pampered.
The manufacturer utilized copper-infused memory foam because it provides a more hygienic, cooler, and comfortable resting spot for your Boxer. It’s also easy to wash, and its durable fabric will keep this pet bed lasting longer for your dog.
Probably the most aptly-named for a Boxer, the Wild One Pet Bed comes with a human-grade memory foam mattress that is double-tiered for optimal support. The exterior features a water-resistant liner that keeps accidents from leaking out onto your floor. The non-slip base will keep this bed in place.
With bumpers for coziness and a layered poly-weave material, your dog will sleep comfortably for naps and nights. This might be the right kind of cozy for your Boxer.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best type of dog bed for a Boxer? It depends! Typically, boxers are active, playful pets that want to be with you as much as possible. Finding a bed that supports this level of activity and keeps your Boxer in optimal health is most important. The older your dog gets, the more support it may need. Regardless of its age, though, you want your dog to want to sleep in his or her bed, so make it comfortable and inviting. Maybe you need a dog bed that fits a certain lifestyle or space. With the many offerings on the market, it shouldn’t be hard to find one that is suitable for your needs, too.
- Do orthopedic dog beds really help for Boxers? They do! Dogs need just as much bone and joint support as we do, especially with the more active breeds. As they age, this only becomes more important.
- Do Boxers need comfy beds? Well, do you? Yes, for optimal rest, a Boxer’s bed should be comfortable. Without it, you may compromise their health and ability to stay active longer.
- Is memory foam toxic to Boxers? Some contend that memory foam can be toxic to dogs. This is a discussion that may best be had with a knowledgeable, trusted veterinarian. The health and safety of your dog is the most important thing to consider, and you and your vet know your pet and your needs better than anyone else.