Bulldogs have endless character, but rarely endless energy. Like all dogs, they will need a few naps, and solid sleep each day; so, having a perfect place to sleep is an important part of any pet’s home. And while the perfect bed will be great for your dog and their health when it comes to the brachycephalic bulldog, the perfect bed can also help with “quiet” sleep, and your pup sleeping through the night. To find that perfect bed, when there are so many choices, can be a bit overwhelming, but we are here to help and breakdown everything from dog pillows to dog donuts.
The way dog beds look is also only the beginning of the search, as dog bed materials have plenty of variety from strength for big chewers to specialized orthopedic foam that helps joints and sleep comfort. Our guide to the best dog beds will break all of these characteristics down and highlight what will matter most to your charismatic bulldog’s sleep.
What is the Best Dog Bed for Bulldogs?
- Best Overall: Puffy Dog Bed
- Best Orthopedic: Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Luxury: ELUX Pet Bed
- Best Chew Proof: Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
- Best Affordable: Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Elevated: Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Best Travel: Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Calming: Best Friends by Sheri, The Original Calming Shag Vegan
- FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow Dog Bed
- Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
- Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
- WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
- Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
- Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
- Wild One Dog Bed
Types of Dog Beds for Bulldogs
- Orthopedic – Orthopedic dog beds and orthopedic foam are the gold standard for dog beds. They offer specialized support for joint and muscle health, while also providing extra comfort. The best orthopedic foam will go a step further and state that they are memory foam or human-grade memory foam. These foams are reactive to body heat by starting out as a stiffer cushion and once it senses the dog’s body, it softens at the warmest points of the body and allows them to sink in, but it remains stiff and supportive in areas that are less warm while contacting the cushion, like the neck and spine. This specialized support also helps dogs without current joint aches or issues by promoting continued health and providing superior comfort.
- Pillow Beds – A great choice for bulldogs is dog pillow beds because pillow beds let dogs stretch out to their heart’s content. Many bulldogs, when it comes to sleep, like to flop down on their side and let their legs stretch out and sprawl. Dog pillows embrace this spread out sleep by not having any walls to impede dog arms and legs and just a large rectangular pillow that is jam-packed with cushioning. These pillows are certainly larger and more cushion packed than a human pillow, but the right dog pillow size for a bulldog will be “small” or “medium” as an extra small pillow will leave your bulldog’s legs dangling, and a “large” dog pillow may take up unnecessary space in your home.
- Elevated/Cooling – Bulldogs can pack on weight, and whether it’s a muscular physique or a few too many table scraps, that weight can lead a bulldog to overheat. An elevated/cooling dog bed uses airflow to help dogs chill. These beds are raised in the air by a metal frame and your canine rests safely on special fabric stretched across the steel. In that elevated position, air can flow underneath your bulldog and wick away your dog’s body heat keeping them cool. The elevated position is also great for keeping the bed clean, as the extra height helps the dog bed avoid brushing against the ground and picking up dirt and debris. Many people choose to use elevated dog beds as outdoor beds as they don’t get dirt on them as they never touch the grass, and their dog does not get overheated from outdoor temperatures because the bed keeps them cooled.
- Heated – When winter comes, or if you have you simply like to keep it chilly in your home, a heated dog bed can keep your bulldog comfortable and toasty. Without the luxurious long fur of other breeds, bulldogs need heat or blankets to maintain their body temperature when the environment gets extra cold. A heated dog bed helps in these situations by having an electrical element built into the dog bed that circulates warmth through the cushioning and onto your pup. These beds need to be placed near electrical sockets; so, you will need to strategize their placement before you settle on bringing them home. If sockets aren’t available in your best dog bed location, self-heating dog beds are also available. These beds have special fabric and filling that acts like a convection oven with your dog as the heating element. Your dog’s body heat seeps down into the bed, and the filling recirculates that heat back and forth, as if your bulldog was simply in a pack of dogs that were all nuzzled against your dog and sharing their heat around the pack.
- Covered – A covered dog bed is the wolf’s den of the dog bed world. These instinctual designs are made to appeal to the wolf in your bulldog, and your dog’s instinct to sleep in a safe den that has protection and security on all sides. Covered dog beds look like caves with plush walls and a plush ceiling and floor. The only exposed wall is the front opening that allows your animal to jump in and watch over their territory.
- Sofa – Sofa dog beds are focused on interior design. A sofa dog bed will resemble a human sofa with raised arms and back with a cushioned seat. While not resembling a traditional dog bed, bulldogs are still happy to climb onto their sofa and sleep comfortably. These dog beds are also full of color, and often have beautiful contemporary designs and fabrics that can be an accent piece in your home while also having the function of helping your bulldog sleep.
5 Key Considerations When Looking For A Bulldog Dog Bed
- Stability – Bulldogs are strong and do everything with a lot of momentum. That also means that when they run to get into bed, they can send that bed sliding across the room and into rooms that a dog bed doesn’t belong. Fortunately, many dog beds are prepared for momentus dog bed entries and build their beds with stability-enhancing features. These features include anti-slip bottoms and studded fabrics.
- Moisture Resistant – We are not going to say your beautiful bulldog likes to slobber, but we will say that it is very possible that they can have water problems perhaps from tracking in rain, and perhaps from very active salivary glands. Either way, many dog beds have you covered and will have liners that are waterproof and protect the foam or filing inside the bed. Without these liners, the liquid can seep into the foam and potentially mildew. So, the best dog bed for bulldogs will have these liners or another type of liquid protection.
- Design Shapes – Round: Rounded Dog beds are a popular dog bed that is circular and usually enjoyed by smaller dogs. If your small dog likes to curl up into a ball when it sleeps or likes to make a few rounds along his bed before rounding itself into the center of the spiral, then they will likely enjoy the circular nature of round beds. Rectangular: Unlike round beds, rectangular beds are squared off on their edges and resemble a rectangle. These beds cater to dogs that both like to lay flat with their legs extended, or that like to mix it up, sometimes curling up, sometimes sprawling out. They also allow for a looser curl for dogs that have joint stiffness, or dogs that have above-average weight.
- Chew Resistant – Bulldogs have powerful jaws and they ironically like to exercise those jaws on their favorite things, which often includes dog beds. Makers of the best dog beds are aware of this predilection and have created chew-proof dog beds to give beds extra durability. Chew-proof beds integrate resilient fabric and materials including ripstop weave, puncture stops, and Livesmart.
- Cleanability- Dirt, debris, and food scraps can all make their way into your bulldog’s dog bed; so, it’s important that the dog bed can be cleaned. While some dog beds require hand washing the easiest to clean will allow for cleanings in the washing machine. Some beds will even suggest that they are dryer safe, but just like human clothing, dog beds can shrink after being exposed to excessive dryer heat.
Reviews of the Best Bulldog Dog Beds
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Bed for Bulldogs|
|Puffy Dog Bed
|Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic
|ELUX Dog Bed
|Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
|Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster
|Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
|ChuckIt! Travel Bed
|Best Friends By Sheri, The Original Calming Shag
|FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam
|Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
|Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
|WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
|Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
|Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
|Wild One Dog Bed
- Base Made Of High-quality Orthopedic Memory Foam
- Scratch-resistant Cover With Anti-tear Fabric
- Machine Washable Removable Cover
- Studded Bottom To Prevent Slipping
Best Overall Dog Bed For Bulldogs – Our pick for the best overall dog bed for a bulldog is The Puffy Dog Bed. This dog bed checks all the right boxes with an orthopedic foam base made of high-quality memory foam and specially designed filling that promotes support but is still soft and comfy. This memory foam is great for bulldog joint support, as well as their hips and legs. For durability, the cover has scratch-resistant and anti-tear fabric, but to provide maximum peace of mind, the cover also carries a lifetime warranty. Plus, this ultra-strong cover is easy to clean and is machine washable. As for design, this rectangular bed has plenty of room for laying flat or curling up but also has extra soft bolsters so your bulldog can rest his head while drifting to sleep.
- Orthopedic Memory Foam
- Guaranteed Lifetime Warranty
- 101 Night Sleep Trial
- No-Slip Base
- Durable Washable Cover
- A bit big for puppies of bulldogs, with no extra small option.
- Sherpa Fabric For Comfort And Softness
- Versatile Two-sided Cushion
- Orthopedic Foam For Joint And Hip Support
- Bolster Headrests For Neck Support
- Machine Washable
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed For Bulldogs – This dog bed has high-quality orthopedic foam that gives bulldogs joint and hip support during the night and even when napping. It also has bolsters to provide neck support even when your dog is just sitting in its bed and watching over the home. The cushion in this dog bed is not only orthopedic foam, but also offers two sides of comfort with one side a soft cloud Sherpa, and the other a twill print for longer nailed dogs that find extra grip soothing. Cleaning is simple as this bed is machine washable and can even be dried in a dryer so long as it’s tumble dry on low heat.
- Orthopedic Foam
- Removable Cushion
- Sherpa Fabric
- Machine Washable Cleaning
- Smallest Bed Choice is Medium
- Orthopedic Foam With Gel Enhancement
- Able To Repel Water, Stains, And Moisture
- Gel Enhanced Orthopedic Memory Foam
- Removable And Washable Cover
- Satisfaction Guarantee
Best Luxury Dog Bed For Bulldogs – For a luxurious touch, The Elux Pet Bed is a great choice for your bulldog. This bed has premium memory foam in two graded layers for extra choices incomfort. The first layer is an extra supportive stiff grade of memory foam that gives older dogs exceptional support. The other side of the cushioning is a soft gradient of orthopedic foam for bulldogs looking for some support, but also lots of softness. As for the bed’s cover, the dog bed has LiveSmart technology, which repels moisture and stains while significantly increasing durability.
- Multi-layer Orthopedic Memory Foam
- Resistant To Moisture And Stains
- Machine Washable
- Extra Durability From Livesmart
- No Walls For Headrest
- Extra-strength Fabric With Kevlar Strengthened Seams
- 200 Day Chewing Warranty
- Orthopedic Foam Base For Joint And Hip Support
- Safe Foam That Is Free Of TDCPP, PBDES, TCEP, Mercury, And Heavy Metals
- No Zippers, Or Metal Choking Hazards
- Removable And Washable Cover
Best Chew Resistant Dog Bed For Bulldogs – Bulldogs have powerful jaws and many dog beds aren’t quite up to the challenge of surviving a prolonged chewing session. For bulldogs that like to chew, The Bully Bed has the durability and safety to take on the task. For starters, Bully Bed’s durability comes from kevlar, the super fabric that’s known to withstand bullets in kevlar vests. These kevlar seams are so dependable that Bully Bed even provides a 200-day chew warranty because of their confidence in the dog bed’s strength. That said, Bully Bed still cares about overall safety; so, they made sure to fill the bed with non-toxic filling and no zippers. That way even if the bed is torn apart, you won’t have a surprise visit to the vet with metal zippers in your bulldog’s belly. This bed does have a removable and machine washable cover, but Bully Bed opted for heavy-duty velcro as a safer opening.
- Chew Warranty
- Non-Toxic Orthopedic Foam
- Waterproof Liner
- Safely Removable And Washable Cover
- Zipper Free To Prevent Choking
- Only 2 Colors (Gray and Tan)
- Smallest Size is Medium
- Sherpa Lining To Keep Bulldogs Cozy And Comfy
- Rectangle Bed For Bulldogs That Like To Stretch Out
- Bolster Headrests For Neck Support
- Easily Cleaned And Machine Washable
Most Affordable Dog Bed For Bulldogs – The soft fabric and cozy sherpa lining will make any bulldog happy. The Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Dog Bed also has bolsters to go with its sherpa lining that make great headrests for bulldogs. The bed also caters to multiple decors as it comes in three distinctive colors, including navy, gray, and a mix of yellow, gray, and purple. The dog bed is also machine washable, while also being safe to dry in the dryer.
- Premium Sherpa Lining
- Cleanable In Washing Machine And Dryer
- Bolster Bed Headrests
- Uses Polyester Fiber Instead Of Orthopedic Foam
- Cover Not Removable
- Steel Frame For Sturdy Elevation
- Durable PVC Coated Fabric
- Can Be Used Outdoors
- An Elevated Design Keeps Dogs Cool
Best Elevated Dog Bed For Bulldogs – The Frisco Steel-framed Elevated Dog Bed is a versatile dog bed that keeps your pet cool indoors and outdoors. With a strong metal frame and durable PVC coated fabric stretched across steel, your bulldog can lay on this bed while suspended in the air. This elevated suspension encourages dual airflow that cools your bulldog above and below their body. Additionally, the elevation prevents the dog bed from getting dirty outdoors, as the elevated cloth never comes in contact with grass or dirt. Whether indoors or outdoors the Frisco Steel-framed Elevated Dog Bed also won’t slide around due to four skid-resistant feet that provide enhanced traction.
- Easy To Assemble And Disassemble
- Frame Is Sturdy Steel
- Easily Washed With A Hose
- Skid-resistant Feet
- Not Compatible With Crates
- 8 Pound Weight
- Great For Travel With Portable Design And Included Travel Bag
- Designed For Use Indoors And Outdoors
- Drys Quickly And Is Water-resistant
- Cushioning Is Soft For Outdoor Naps
Best Travel Dog Bed For Bulldogs – This bed has great portability and quality of life features. The Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed is a light travel companion at only 1.1 pounds. Plus, it has its own included travel bag that it calls a “stuff sack”. It is also machine washable and designed to quickly air dry. At 30×39 inches it accommodates small and large dogs and gives them room to stretch out for peaceful outdoor naps.
- Machine Washable
- Useful For RV Travel And Camping
- Nice And Light For Traveling
- Stuff Sack Included
- One Size, But Works For Bulldogs
- Choice Of Only One Color
- Covered In Ultra-soft Shag Faux Fur To Keep Dogs Cozy And Calm
- Donut Design Hugs Dogs To Give Calming Security And Reassuring Contact
- Designed With Water-resistant Nylon To Fight Moisture
- Easy Cleaning With Washing Machine And Dryer
- Edges Are Raised Bolsters For Comfortable Headrest
Best Calming Dog Bed For Bulldogs – For exceptional comfort and calming, the best choice for your bulldog is The Original Calming Donut Cuddler. It features ultra-soft shag fur lining that provides warmth and softness that dogs love and its circular donut design wraps around your bulldog like a constant hug. For extra coziness, the Donut Cuddler is self-heating thanks to specialized insulation that recirculates dog body heat so it feels like your bulldog is surrounded by the body heat of his pack. Lastly, this calming bed has soft plush bolsters that act as sleep encouraging headrests for your bulldog’s best sleep.
- Unmatched Softness From Shag Fur
- Self-heating Without Electricity
- Machine Washable
- Hugging Donut Design
- Tall Bolsters May Be Difficult For Smaller Bulldogs To Climb
7 Other Top Rated Bulldog Dog Beds
This deluxe dog bed from Furhaven has a great filling with supportive orthopedic memory foam. On the outside, this dog bed features extra soft faux fur for superior coziness. The bed also has impressive durability from a strengthened oxford poly canvas. The design of the bed is bolster free, so it favors dogs that have difficulty climbing over bolsters and instead just want to walk into bed.
With an impressive dual-layer orthopedic foam design, the Griffith Pet Bed has some great features. The first layer is a premium CertiPUR-US certified foam that is high-density memory foam for comfort and joint health. The second layer is thick orthopedic foam for unmatched support. The Griffith Pet Bed is also easily cleaned due to a removable and washable cover. This premium dog bed improves the overall cleanliness of the dog bed by featuring a moisture fighting waterproof liner.
With a unique latex mattress, The Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress offers a great alternative to traditional foam filled dog beds. Latex dog mattresses tout several useful benefits including impressive durability, highly breathable surfaces, and also a hypoallergenic qualities. In this bed, the beneficial latex is three inches thick for maximum durability and comfort. Additional benefits of the latex mattress include being fireproof and environmentally friendly. The dog bed also has a washable removable cover for easy cleaning.
The WFH High Memory Fiber Bed is another great dog bed that opts for alternative materials. Instead of traditional memory foam, it uses the newer technology called memory fiber. This material was developed as an alternative to memory foam for those that prefer a cooler surface. The cooler material prevents dogs from overheating while still providing a supportive foundation. For this bed, the memory fiber cushion can be removed for easy cleaning but is secured with a zipper to prevent your bulldog from walking away with half a bed. Plus, the upholstery grade fabric is machine washable when it’s time for a cleaning.
Donut beds are great for adding extra coziness to your pet’s sleep, and the Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed makes sure your bulldog will get all the coziness they need. The dog bed has reversible cushioning that is designed to keep your bulldog cool in the summer, and then can be reversed to trap in warmth in the winter. The donut bed also features soft curved bolsters so your bulldog has a comfy place to rest their head. Along with its seasonal flexibility, this bed is also easy to clean and is machine washable as well as dryer safe.
With a unique copper-infused mattress, the Layla Pet Bed has some intriguing advantages over traditional foam. First, a copper-infused mattress is considered more sanitary because copper has natural antibacterial properties that are proven to disrupt the metabolic growth of viruses and microorganisms. Additionally, these mattresses tend to be very effective at staying cool and keeping pets from overheating. The Layla Pet Bed’s mattress also has two sides for softness and air control. The first side has a softer feel and a textured surface that increases airflow, and the second side has a smoother surface for a firmer more supportive feel. Additionally, this dog bed, while highly durable, is also easy to clean and machine washable.
Wild One is a great company that is focused on the well-being of dogs across the country. They even sponsor the rescue of a pet every week and donate a portion of their proceeds to rescue organizations. Their Wild One Dog Bed is a dog bed with a double-layer of orthopedic memory foam that provides great joint and hip support for your bulldog. For moisture and water protection, the Wild One Dog Bed comes with a water-resistant liner. For easy cleaning, the dog bed has a removable cover that is machine washable. That said, while the cover is machine washable, it is still highly durable and uses a strong multi-layered poly-weave for impressive strength.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best type of dog bed for a bulldog? The best bed for a bulldog will support bulldog muscles and joints with supportive foam that is memory foam or a quality orthopedic foam. The bed should also have room for the bulldog to stretch out and bolsters so the bulldog has a place to rest their head. Durability is also important, as bulldogs have strong mouths and can run a bed through its paces. So, look for strong fabrics and quality materials.
- Do orthopedic dog beds really help bulldogs? Yes, joint support and hip support are critical to canine overall health. Bulldogs need this type of support as well, and orthopedic and memory foam beds provide it while also providing a comfortable and temperature controlled sleeping surface.
- Do bulldogs need comfy beds? Of course, bulldogs love to get comfortable and relax in comfy places. Additionally, their breed is known for loving long naps throughout the day, so a comfy napping spot is always appreciated.
- Is memory foam toxic to bulldogs? No, memory foam is not toxic for bulldogs; however, it is unpleasant to digest and sometimes dogs need assistance. If your bulldog is an avid chewer and happens to consume memory foam, you should attempt to aid digestion with rice.