Chihuahuas are wonderful dogs that love to curl up and get comfy when they sleep. For the best chihuahua sleep, the right dog bed is of great importance and will keep your pup healthy and happy. A great dog bed is also important to the owner, as a dog that has the right bed will also sleep through the night and not disturb its owner’s sleep, and a well-rested dog will generally exhibit better overall health.
Finding the right dog bed can still be a bit tricky, as dog beds are available in several different shapes, sizes, elevations, and even chewability. In this guide, we will discuss all the characteristics that go into the best dog bed and what our team recommends for your handsome chihuahua.
What Is The Best Dog Bed For Chihuahuas?
- Best Overall: Puffy Dog Bed
- Best Orthopedic: Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Luxury: ELUX Pet Bed
- Best Chew Proof: Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
- Best Affordable: Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Elevated: Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Best Travel: Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Calming: Best Friends by Sheri, The Original Calming Shag Vegan
- FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow Dog Bed
- Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
- Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
- WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
- Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
- Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
- Wild One Dog Bed
Types Of Dog Beds For Chihuahuas
- Orthopedic – In the world of dog beds, an orthopedic dog bed is a dog bed that provides specialized support to your dog’s joints and muscles by being filled with high-quality memory foam or “orthopedic” foam. This superior support helps dogs that suffer from arthritis, hip problems, or even injuries. That said, even dogs without joint issues enjoy these high-quality beds and their extra support. Plus, the superior bed filling helps ensure continued joint health while your pet continues to mature.
- Pillow Beds – A pillow dog bed is very similar to a giant pillow and dogs still love it. These giant pillows allow dogs to really stretch out and let their legs hang as they settle into the cushioning. If your charming chihuahua likes to sleep flat with all four legs stretched out, then a pillow bed would likely make them happier than a bolster bed that has walls and keeps their legs restricted. For chihuahuas, the best pillow dog beds will be small or medium-sized, as an extra-small pillow bed may lack room for stretching out.
- Elevating/Cooling – Cooling dog beds are a cleverly designed bed that gives your chihuahua cooling from above and from below. These beds are elevated off the ground for extra airflow by using a metallic frame with strong fabric stretched across the elevated metal framework. These beds are great for long-haired chihuahuas that tend to overheat, as well as for chihuahuas that like to spend lots of time outdoors. As an added benefit to their cooling feature, these elevated beds are also easy to clean, as the elevated bedding avoids the debris and dirt that traditional dog beds accumulate from the ground.
- Heated – For short-haired Chihuahuas, their lack of fur can allow their bodies to lose heat quickly, especially in winter months where floors are often quite cold. Heated dog beds are a great help for these months because they are outfitted with an electrical element that is built into the bed and heats the bed and the lucky dog sleeping on it. These heated beds offer a great feature, but it is always best to do a safety check before offering the bed to your pup. Making sure the bed does not reach unsafe temperatures, and that it’s free of any frayed or cracked wires are critical checks before letting your pup curl up to the heat.
- Covered – Covered dog beds are a clever idea for satisfying the instincts dogs are born with. These beds are meant to appear like a safe and secure cave or den that a wild dog or wolf would sleep in prior to domestication. To achieve this appearance, covered dog beds have a plush top and bottom with a dome shape. The plush covering encircles the bed except for a small front opening. That way, your loveable chihuahua can jump into bed, and know they are safe on all sides and can sleep without any worries or concerns.
- Sofa – For a fun twist on dog beds, the dog sofa is a cute miniature couch fit for a dog of discerning tastes. These beds are full of style and structure with slightly raised arms, a comfy center cushion, and a large raised back like a traditional human sofa. Owners typically choose these beds because they can be an accent to playful decor styles and because they come in bright colors and patterns.
5 Key Considerations When Looking For A Chihuahua Dog Bed
- Design Shapes – Donut/Round Dog Beds: Dog Donuts and Round dogs beds are common dog bed that is shaped like a circle. These beds are great for dogs like Chihuahuas that like to curl up when they sleep and sleep in a tight ball. Rectangle Dog Beds: Instead of a circle, this type of dog bed resembles a rectangle. The rectangular-shape is good for dogs that like to sprawl one side or for dogs that like to reposition a few times while sleeping. These beds are also nice for older chihuahuas that like to sleep in a looser curl as the tight circle is uncomfortable for aged joints and muscles.
- Verticality – Chihuahuas are often “vertically challenged” and find it difficult to get to high places or tall obstacles. With this in mind, it is important when buying dog beds for a chihuahua to not only consider the circumference of the dog bed, but also the height of the bed so your pup won’t have issues climbing in.
- Security – When we talk about security in a dog bed, we talk about your purchased dob bed being secure in one place. Dogs can enter their dog beds from all different speeds, and it is always disappointing to see the dog bed slide across the floor as your pup is struggling to climb in. This is especially a problem for small breeds like chihuahuas that can use momentum to push a bed but will struggle to pull the bed back to its proper place. To get the best security, you should look for beds that have studded or anti-slip bottoms.
- Chew Chew Problems – If your chihuahua loves to chew things to ribbons, they also likely will enjoy chewing on their beds. Thankfully, there are brands of dog beds that are specifically designed to withstand the punishment of dogs that love to chew. These beds have a ripstop weave that prevents the fabric from being torn and being punctured. Additionally, the safest chew resistant chew-proof dog beds will avoid zippers and medals, as persistent chewers can detach zippers and potentially swallow them.
- Cleaning – If your Chihuahua loves to track in dirt, or if they like to enjoy food and treats in their dog beds, cleaning the dog bed can be an important concern. The easiest to clean dog beds will have removable covers, and the covers will be machine washable and dryer safe.
Best Overall Dog Bed For Chihuahuas
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Bed for Chihuahuas|
|Puffy Dog Bed
|Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic
|ELUX Dog Bed
|Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
|Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster
|Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
|ChuckIt! Travel Bed
|Best Friends By Sheri, The Original Calming Shag
|FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam
|Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
|Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
|WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
|Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
|Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
|Wild One Dog Bed
- High-density Orthopedic Memory Foam Base
- Removable cover that is machine washable
- Only 5.5 inches tall for easy chihuahua entry
- Studded Anti-slip Bottom
- Anti-tear and Scratch-resistant Cover
Best Overall Dog Bed For Chihuahuas – The Puffy Dog Bed is our pick for the best overall dog bed for a chihuahua. For starters, the Puffy Dog Bed has great quality memory foam throughout its base, which provides chihuahuas with the comfort and joint support they need and deserve. The bed is also built to last with a lifetime warranty as well as a cover that resists scratches and tears. Plus, even if your rambunctious chihuahua loves to jump into bed, the Puffy Dog Bed has a studded non-slip underside that grips your floor or carpet to keep the bed secured where you put it. As for cleaning, the Puffy Dog Bed has a removable cover that is machine washable for convenience.
- Orthopedic Foam
- Perfect chihuahua height
- Removable cover that’s machine washable
- Lifetime Warranty
- No-Slip bottom
- No extra small size for chihuahua puppies, but does come in three sizes
- Soft and comfy sherpa fabric
- Current design with modern tones that will match most decors
- Double-sided cushion with soft cloud Sherpa on one side and twill print on the other.
- Orthopedic Foam base provides join support, and bolster edges neck support.
- Easy cleaning and Machine Washable.
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed For Chihuahuas – The Frisco Orthopedic Dog Bed is perfect for any Chihuahua needing orthopedic care or just a little extra support. The bed’s interior is made from high-quality orthopedic foam that gives your Chihuahua the proper joint support, while the bed’s bolster design allows your dog to rest their head on the cushioned and fluffy bolsters along the bed’s exterior. The bed is also safe to be cleaned in a washing machine and even has a removable cushion for a smaller footprint if you are having guests.
- Quality Orthopedic Foam
- Dryer Safe and Machine Washable
- Comfy and Soft Sherpa Fabric
- Medium is the Smallest Size Choice
- Treated to repel moisture, stains, and water.
- Gel enhanced orthopedic memory foam
- Cover is fully removable and washable
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
Best Luxury Dog Bed For Chihuahuas – The Elux Pet Bed is a truly luxurious dog bed for your Chihuahua. The inside of the dog bed has two premium layers of memory foam. One side is a stiffer grade of memory foam that provides exceptional orthopedic support, while the other side is a softer gradient of foam, that your pup can sink into. On the outside of the dog bed, Elux utilizes its proprietary LiveSmart technology that renders the bed’s fabric moisture repellent, stain-resistant, and ultra-durable. With these specialized fabrics and foam, the Elux bed is not only comfy for your chihuahua but also built to last.
- Two Layers of Memory Foam
- Stain and moisture Resistance
- Machine washable Cover
- Ultra Durable
- No Bolster Walls
- Seams reinforced with Kevlar and carry a 200 Day Chew Warranty and replacement
- Filled with Orthopedic foam
- Foam is free of PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP (“Tris”) flame retardants, mercury, lead, heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates, CFC’s
- No Dangerous Zippers, uses Heavy-duty velcro closure instead
- Cover is removable and washable
Best Chew Resistant Dog Bed For Chihuahuas – The Bully Bed is perfect for even the most ravenous of chihuahuas but still makes sure to consider all-around canine health. With Kevlar-reinforced seams and proprietary tear-resistant technology, the bed is on another level when it comes to durability. To support canine health, the bed also has orthopedic foam and the foam is non-toxic and free of contaminants like mercury. Also, the Bully Bed has zero zippers, as habitual chewers have been known to find ways to swallow metal zippers and have a bad time at the vet. The Bully Bed ops for a heavy-duty velcro closure, which protects your chihuahua’s belly, while also making sure the bed’s cover can be easily removed by a human when it is time to be washed.
- Chew Warranty
- Orthopedic Foam
- Waterproof Liner
- Safely Removable and Washable Cover
- Zipper Free
- Only Comes in Tan and Grey
- Medium is the smallest bed size
- Comfy and cozy sherpa lining.
- Rectangular dog bed with bolster headrests
- Machine washable for easy cleaning
- Maximum comfort from polyester fibers
Most Affordable Dog Bed For Chihuahuas – The Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Dog Bed is great for chihuahuas that love to indulge in soft fabrics. The sherpa lining is especially soft and extends across the bed and onto the bolsters. Speaking of the bolsters, this addition is a great headrest for dogs when sleeping and when simply relaxing in their bed and watching over the home. This bed is also easy to clean, as the entire bed can be placed in a washing machine.
- Cozy Sherpa Fabric
- Whole bed is machine washable
- Bolster headrests
- Lacks orthopedic foam
- Medium is the smallest size
- Cover Cannot be removed
- Fast and simple assembly
- Strong steel frame.
- Durable Fabric
- Indoor and Outdoor Use
- Skid-resistant feet.
Best Elevated Dog Bed For Chihuahuas – This elevated bad is perfect inside a bedroom and outside in a yard. Its elevation will keep your chihuahua cool in hot outdoor weather, while indoors it will stay put due to its skid-resistant feet, and allow an indoor pup to keep dirt feet and fur off the floor. The fabric across the steel frame is PVC coated and has the strength to prevent dips or sags from heavier chihuahuas. While not machine washable, the bed can be quickly cleaned by spraying with water and letting it air dry.
- Steel Frame
- Easy Initial Assembly
- Simple Disassembly for Travel
- Can be used Outdoors
- Not for use in crates
- A bit heavy at 8lbs
- Ultra-portable and includes its own travel bag
- Soft cushioning, even outdoors
- Water-resistant and quick to dry
Best Travel Dog Bed For Chihuahuas – The Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed is a great travel dog bed that is simple to deploy, and quick to pack up after a day in the sun. The travel bed comes with its own “stuff sack” for portability, and once you arrive at your location, you can lay it out inside or outside on the grass or sand. To add to portability, the travel weighs a mere 1.1 pounds. After the day is done, the bed can be easily cleaned in a washing machine.
- Machine washable
- Light and compact
- Great for camping and RV’s
- One Size, but Chihuahuas will fit fine
- One Color Choice might not work with all decors
- Extra soft shag fur lining will keep your chihuahua cozy
- Donut shape is great for Chihuahuas that like to encircle their beds and curl up
- Bed bottom has water-resistant nylon to protect floors
- Machine washable and dryer-safe
- Filled with extra soft plush that soothes dog muscle and joint pain
- Edges are raised for cozy headrest
Best Calming Dog Bed For Chihuahuas – The Original Calming Donut Cuddler is an ultra-soft and warm dog bed for your chihuahua. It is covered in soft shag fur has a round bed design with bolsters for your pup to rest their head. The Donut Cuddler can also keep your Chihuahua warm and toasty using its self-heating insulation layer that utilizes your pet’s body heat to heat the dog bed and keep your chihuahua warm. With cozy heat and soft curved bolster walls your pet can curl up and feel snuggly every night.
- Soft shag faux fur
- Self-heating with no plugs
- Machine washable
- Snuggly design
- Seven-inch bolster wall may be tall for smaller chihuahuas.
7 Other Top Rated Chihuahua Dog Beds
This bed has a lot of great features for Chihuahuas including deluxe memory foam filling and extra soft faux fur. The deluxe memory foam provides orthopedic relief from joint discomfort for older chihuahuas and still is comfortable and supportive for chihuahuas that just want a nice place to sleep.
This dog bed uses premium CertiPUR-US certified foams. Its top layer is a high-density memory foam and its lower layer is a thicker orthopedic foam for joint support. The bed also has a removable cover and moisture blocking waterproof liner to extend the longevity of the foam. The Griffith Pet Bed comes in four sizes and three different colors.
The Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress is a unique dog bed that opts for a latex mattress instead or foam fillings. Latex mattresses are considered to have several benefits like being highly durable so they last longer, qualifying as a hypoallergenic material, and also being a highly breathable material that will prevent your chihuahua from overheating. The Sleepez Latex Dog boasts an impressive three-inch thick mattress so the benefits of the material can really show.
The WFH (Work From Home) High Memory Fiber Bed is a great dog bed that utilizes a newer choice of filling. Memory fiber is the follow-up to memory foam and boasts better flexibility than memory foam, as well as improved coolness to prevent overheating. The Memory Fiber Bed is also a two-piece bed with the cushion secured by a zipper just in case your Chihuahua likes to walk away with pillows. Additionally, the upholstery grade fabric is designed to repel dirt and the cover for the bed can also be removed so it can be cleaned in a washing machine.
This donut dog bed is another comfy place for your chihuahua to curl up. The Dream Chaser is a nice and cozy donut dog bed. Even as a circular bed the walls act as a nice headrest for your pup, and the interior of the walls is perfect for nestling. The Dream Chaser also offers a great temperature control feature with the exterior being reversible with one side for warmth, and the other side designed to keep your pup cool.
This dog bed has a unique copper-infused mattress. Copper-infused mattresses are cooler and more comfortable than traditional dog bed foam and are also considered more sanitary. The Layla bed’s mattress also has to unique sides with one side being firmer with a smooth texture, and the reverse side has a textured surface that is softer and offers additional airflow for a cooler feel. As for cleaning, the copper-infused mattress is still machine washable, and quick to dry. Plus, the material is highly durable and built to last.
The Wild One Dog Bed is a supportive dog bed that offers a double-tiered memory foam. The bed also has a water-resistant liner, and its cover can easily be cleaned in a washing machine. Even though the cover is machine washable, it still is highly durable and uses a layered poly-weave to ensure strength. The dog bed also has a very reasonable height for chihuahuas at 4.5 inches.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best type of dog bed for a Chihuahua? The best bed for a Chihuahua will have a supportive interior foam, preferably memory foam or a high-quality orthopedic foam. The bed should also have bolster walls, as chihuahua enjoy resting their heads while they watch over the home from their beds.
- Do orthopedic dog beds really help Chihuahuas? Yes, chihuahuas do benefit from orthopedic dog beds. While lighter than other dog breeds, chihuahua joints do suffer consistent stress during their adventurous lives that is mostly due to leaping from tall furniture and absorbing the impact with the floor. Additionally, orthopedic memory foam also offers quality temperature control and comfort that any dog appreciates.
- Do Chihuahuas need comfy beds? Yes, chihuahuas appreciate a comfortable bed and love to curl up and feel cozy when they sleep. It is also not recommended to allow your chihuahua to sleep in your bed as chihuahua hair can trap in allergens and debris that can be dragged into a human bed and aggravate allergy sufferers. Additionally, allowing your chihuahua to sleep in your bed can cause or worsen separation anxiety. For best results, you can maintain your pack structure, by simply allowing your chihuahua to sleep in your bedroom instead of your bed.
- Is memory foam toxic to Chihuahuas? No, while not pleasant to eat or digest, authentic memory foam is not toxic to chihuahuas. For chihuahuas, the foam will simply pass through their digestive system without too many issues. If there are issues, consider feeding them rice or bran to assist the foam in its digestive voyage.