The Havanese is one adorable little pup. They have beautiful, soft coats, happy grins, and cute faces that will always look like a puppy, even well into their adult years. More than that, they are eager to please their families, very loving, and not overly vocal, an unusual trait for a toy dog. It’s easy to see why they make such great family pets.
You’re lucky to have such a happy-go-lucky dog as the Havanese, but this can also be a double-edged sword, as you’re not likely to get obvious indicators from them that something is off. They aren’t often ones to complain! However, a dog’s bed is an area that is often overlooked by many dog owners. The wrong bed can be uncomfortable, exacerbate health problems, or not allow restful sleep at night. With this article as your guide, you can find the best Havanese dog bed that will make your pup go, “Bow-WOW!”
What is the Best Dog Bed for Havanese?
- Best Overall: Puffy Dog Bed
- Best Orthopedic: Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Luxury: ELUX Pet Bed
- Best Chew Proof: Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
- Best Affordable: Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Elevated: Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Best Travel: Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Calming: Best Friends by Sheri, The Original Calming Shag Vegan
- FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow Dog Bed
- Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
- Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
- WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
- Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
- Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
- Wild One Dog Bed
6 Different Types of Dog Beds for Havanese
- Orthopedic – Orthopedic beds are designed to correct and alleviate deformities in bones or muscles. Through special materials, orthopedic dog beds accomplish this with their designs and quality, high-impact materials. Instead of cheap materials such as polyester or wood chips in true orthopedic beds. Orthopedic beds are made with latex, memory foam, or the same kinds of things you find in human orthopedic mattresses. This provides weight-distributing support that cushions their bodies.
- Pillow – When people think of dog beds, a pillow dog bed is usually what comes to mind. This kind of bed is usually a rectangular or square dog bed shaped like a pillow. While they’re easy to find, they can differ widely in the materials. Some can be cheap and quicker to flatten, while others have highly supportive memory foam. Be sure to check what they’re made of before making a final purchase to make sure it’s a good fit for your dog.
- Elevated/cooling – If you live in a warmer climate or have a dog with a heavy coat, a cooling bed could be a huge help. They are either elevated like a hammock, allowing plenty of breathability around your dog’s body, have special cooling materials, or are designed in a different way to help let your dog’s body heat escape. This will help your dog stay comfortable as he sleeps through the night.
- Heated – On the other hand, if you live in a cooler climate or have a dog with a short coat, he may need help staying warm through the night when he’s not able to run around to stay warm. These beds help a great deal, as they either help preserve the dog’s body heat or have an outside power source that heats, much like a heated blanket for humans. Either way, it’ll be sure to help keep your pup cozy.
- Covered – A covered dog bed comes in many forms. It’s shaped like an igloo, teepee, or has some kind of draped canopy. If you have a dog who suffers from anxiety or nervousness, they can alleviate this. They provide a sense of security and safety, as the dog can nest and burrow in his shelter.
- Sofa – If you have a dog with high taste, or if that’s you, you can purchase a sofa dog bed. These are mini couch or sofa-like beds that look very similar to your own couch. This can be an ingenious way to keep your pup off your human couch, allowing him to curl up there instead of being tempted to jump up to where he shouldn’t.
5 Key Considerations When Looking for a Havanese Bed
- Size – Your Havanese is in the toy dog category. He will not grow bigger than about 12 pounds. You will have to look for a bed that will fit him properly. You want it to be big enough where he isn’t confined to sleeping curled up in a little ball to keep from falling off, but not so big where he is lost in it. With small dogs, this in particular can be an issue, as they are more prone to anxiety. Getting the right size will give your Havanese a better sense of security.
- Longevity – With good health, Havanese can be expected to live up to 16 years. Since they shouldn’t weigh any more than 13 pounds, the wear and tear on your Havanese’s bed should be fairly small, since they aren’t bulky enough to put a huge dent. However, with their long lifespans, it is still in your best interest to find a bed that will last a long time. Find one with good construction made of great materials, and you will be glad when you aren’t constantly swapping out dog beds year after year!
- Washability – Havanese are famous for their beautiful coats. While they aren’t heavy shedders, it does happen from time to time. Plus, with longer furred animals, they are more prone to bring in dirt and other debris that attaches to their coats. With both of these factors, you will want a bed that’s easy to clean. A key feature to keep an eye out for is a bed with a removable cover that you can put directly in the washing machine. This will save you a ton of time and effort, and potentially money, as beds with removable covers are more likely to retain their shapes.
- Support – Havanese are susceptible to patellar luxation and hip problems. While yours may be healthy now, you will want to head off this potential issue by finding him a bed with plenty of healthy support. An orthopedic bed is designed to do just that, so find one that will cushion and protect your Havanese’s bones and joints.
- Accessibility – Havanese are tiny dogs with little legs. They shouldn’t be required to leap every time they want to get into bed; this can cause any developing patellar problems to become worse. Find a bed that your Havanese can easily step in and out of that won’t require any crazy athletics on his part.
Best Overall Dog Beds for Havanese
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Bed for Havanese|
|Puffy Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic ||CHECK PRICE|
|ELUX Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|ChuckIt! Travel Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Friends By Sheri, The Original Calming Shag ||CHECK PRICE|
|FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam ||CHECK PRICE|
|Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress ||CHECK PRICE|
|WFH High Memory Fiber Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Wild One Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
- Three sidewalls
- Lowered access point
- Orthopedic memory foam
- White print
- Three sizes
Best Overall Dog Bed For Havanese – Puffy promises a bed “as comfy as a cloud,” and this bed certainly has all the makings of it. It contains breathable, high-density memory foam, and three sidewalls that give your Havanese lots of headrest and a sense of safety. If he gets his cloud bed dirty, Puffy has thoughtfully made the cover in a removable, 100% polyester microfiber. Just throw it into the washing machine! And for active Havanese who leap up at a moment’s notice, there’s a non-slip bottom to prevent the bed from sliding or soaring.
If you want to give this Puffy bed a try but aren’t ready to commit all the way, you can have it shipped to you with free FedEx shipping and test it out for 101 nights. If you’re excited to buy it, there’s great news. Not many beds come with a lifetime guarantee, but Puffy is one of them! The only noticeable drawbacks with the Puffy bed are the lack of color choices–white is the only one–and the price, which may be steeper than you’re used to paying at a department or pet store. However, your dog might decide it’s downright heaven, and who can put a price tag on that?
- Orthopedic material
- Lifetime warranty
- 101-night trial period
- Free FedEx shipping
- Non-slip bottom
- Limited color options
- Three fun prints
- Bolster cushion
- Four walls
- Polyester filling
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed For Havanese – If you’re looking for an inexpensive but comfy bed for your Havanese, look no further than this Frisco. Its price tag is very reasonable in all sizes. Its two-layer design helps provide decent support of a polyfill base, plus a bolstering cushion on top of that. This cushion is also quite adorable, with three different print options to choose from. The inside of this bed has cozy sherpa lining, meaning your Havanese will love snuggling up to it at night.
The downside to this Frisco, however, is the material. It does not have a memory foam filling, but polyester that is more likely to flatten and lose its shape through normal wear-and-tear. And if your Havanese likes to chew his beds, this one is not specifically resistant. It’s probably a less durable bed, but for the price, it could still be worth it.
- Modern prints
- Soft sleeping surface
- Bolster cushion
- Four sidewalls
- Less durable material
- M-XL sizing only
- Two bed firmness options
- Quality construction
- LiveSmart technology materials
Best Luxury Dog Bed For Havanese – When a company patents their materials, you know it’s something special. eLux has its LiveSmart technology that saves its beds from stains and moisture, plus resists any scratching and digging your Havanese might be tempted to do. What’s inside counts, too, though! Between the two firmness options, you know your Havanese will have a great place to sleep. There’s an extra-plush or memory foam option, with the extra plush option containing cushy cluster fiber filling, and the memory foam option is padded with orthopedic gel and bottom memory foam base.
There just aren’t many decorating options with the eLux, however. The rectangular shape can be less visually-pleasing, and if you get the memory foam option, you’re relegated to three colors while the extra plush version only has one. Lastly, accessibility could be a problem for your Havanese’s little legs. These beds are piled high with bolstering materials and might force him to jump to get to bed at night.
- LiveSmart mess protection
- High durability
- Quality materials
- Less accessibility for smaller dogs
- Memory foam support
- Flat design
- Rectangular shape
- Reinforced seams
Best Chew Resistant Dog Beds for Havanese – Bully Beds has a 20-year guarantee on their beds, which you know means that their beds are built to last. This guarantee is against flattening of their beds’ shapes through regular wear and tear, but that’s not all they guarantee. For 200 days after purchase, they guarantee against chewing, thanks to heavy-duty construction like Kevlar-reinforced seams and proprietary BullyTuf material. Don’t worry, though, it’s tough, but still comfy, with the Certipur US-certified memory foam and non-toxic and non-allergenic materials.
A good news/bad news situation exists with the exterior. The great news is that it was designed to resist stink and hair, but this doesn’t make it as soft as other beds that have cushy lining like sherpa. The exterior also isn’t the prettiest, with a somewhat bulky design and only two color options. But for peace of mind against destructive little dogs, it’s a great solution.
- Free shipping
- Mess-resistant cover
- Waterproof liner
- Orthopedic foam
- 200-day guarantee against chewing
- 20-year guarantee for shape retention
- Non-sheltering design
- Less comfy sleeping surface
- Sherpa lining
- Polyester filling
- Three print options
- Two sizes
Most Affordable Dog Bed For Havanese – If you’re seeking more budget-friendly options, Frisco has another great contender. What pops the most about this bed is the delightful print options, three to choose from that are sure to match your tastes. And have we mentioned how affordable it is? The walled design with one lowered point for accessibility is sure to give your dog a sense of security, but also be easy to clamber in and out of. With the soft sherpa lining the inside, he’s more likely to stay in than out.
Though it’s a soft and snuggly bed, there is no orthopedic material. Polyester is what helps keep the price point low, but this also means it will probably flatten and lose its shape quicker, and also be an easier target for any nibbling mouths. To clean it, you put the entire bed in the washing machine, which is challenging in terms of keeping the shape intact even on the gentlest cycle on your machine. If none of these things are big concerns, it’s sure to be a pleasure to both you and your Havanese.
- Over 400 reviews
- Fun prints
- Soft sherpa lining
- Free shipping on orders over $49
- Less enduring
- Four color options
- Rectangular shape
- Off-the-ground design
- Cooling and breathable
- PVC coating
- Steel frame
Best Elevated Dog Bed For Havanese – If you love hanging in a hammock during the summertime and want to give your Havanese a taste of the good life, Frisco has your back. For his own spot in the backyard or during a camping trip, this elevated bed will do the trick nicely. It lifts your dog right off the hot ground, keeping the area around him free and breathable. As he pants away post-play, you don’t have to worry about drool or slobber stains. The PVC-coated surface is water-resistant, and between this and the sturdy steel frame, it’s a bed that is sure to last quite a bit of time. It even comes in four cute colors.
This is a great outdoor or indoor lounge spot for your Havanese, but it’s probably not the best bed for every day. It offers virtually no support or softness on its surface, so you will want another bed for your Havanese to spend every night. It’s also not the prettiest bed, as it’s somewhat bulky and less varied in color. But it’s inexpensive and handy to have around for those fun summer days nonetheless.
- Elevating canvas
- Water-resistant PVC coating
- Easy cleaning
- Quick assembly
- Perfect for outdoors
- Assembly required
- No support
- One size
- Sleeping bag-like design
- Nylon and suede construction
- Comes with a stuff sack
Best Travel Dog Bed For Havanese – Toy dogs are lucky! Because they’re so small and easygoing, they often get to go on fun trips with their parents. This can present a problem, however; either your Havanese gets the leftovers of sleeping spaces, or you must pack a big, bulky bed. Chuckit! has the solution. They have come up with this doggy sleeping bag. Just like a human sleeping bag, it has its own stuff sack for easy transportation. At night, it rolls out into a soft sleeping surface that fits almost anywhere. In the morning, it rolls back up into a neat package that you can store easily among your luggage.
If you need to wash it, this bed goes right in the washing machine and is quick-drying, handy for being on-the-go. However, while the name of this Chuckit! bed game is convenience, it’s not support. Because they wanted to spare you lugging around a bulky, orthopedic bed, it’s made with light materials that are handy for portability’s sake, but not orthopedic support. This makes it a great short-term bed only for dogs who need that extra cushioning.
- Over 400 reviews
- Free 1-3 day shipping over $49
- Perfect for travel
- Convenient storage and packing
- Small dog-friendly
- Machine-washable and quick-drying
- Less support
- Two colors
- Round shape
- Nesting design
- Vegan shag lining
Best Calming Dog Bed For Havanese – If you deal with a nervous Havanese regularly, this bed could be the perfect thing for him. Cuddler beds are great because of their nest-like shape, as they provide a sense of security and safety when they can burrow and nuzzle in their beds behind the higher walls. Aside from self-soothing, self-warming is a major perk, as it helps prevent body heat from escaping the warm, soft vegan shag lining. Sheri’s sizing is great for toy dogs, and the colors are limited to two simple but friendly colors.
The challenge with this Sheri bed is the support. The polyfill is supportive in theory, but polyester is not the most withstanding, shape-holding material. It doesn’t offer true orthopedic support. Plus, with cleaning, while Sheri says this is a machine washable bed, this bed’s cover is not removable, meaning it gets thrown entirely in the washing machine. This can degrade the bed quicker. Even so, for the anxiety-ridden Havanese, this could be a happy haven.
- Free shipping over $49
- Very affordable in small sizes
- Soft sleeping surface
- Polyfill interior
- Two colors only
7 Other Top Rated Maltese Dog Beds
This FurHaven looks like a simple, comfy bed, but it has almost 700 reviews averaging almost five stars that say it’s so much more. With insulating, weight-distributing memory foam and durable oxford polycanvas exterior, there’s plenty to love about this bed. There is sizing for toy dogs, so you can find a good fit for your Havanese. The only downside is that the colors aren’t particularly pretty, but the cover is removable and machine washable, which can’t be overstated in importance. Plus, the interior has a medical-grade polyurethane lining, preventing any mess from entering the core.
Griffith provides tons of customer service extras with this bed. From free shipping to free returns, you have plenty of ways to make sure it’s the best for you. They also offer a three-year warranty. You and your Havanese might fall in love with this bed at first sight, however. The exterior is beautiful, and in all appearances human-grade upholstery in three color options. The inside is just as lovely, as there are no toxic materials, and the cushioning is high-quality CertiPUR-US certified foams found in human Griffith mattresses. This bed was designed to be super comfy, with a top layer of high-density memory foam and a base of special orthopedic support.
Eco-friendly pet parents, here is the bed for you! SleepEZ has a great Dunlop latex bed that’s all-natural, and when you need to dispose of it for a new bed, it breaks down faster in landfills than other pet beds. The cover is an organic cotton beauty that unzips for easy machine washing and has fireproofing properties, which is very cool. All in all, this SleepEZ was designed to be hypoallergenic, cooling, weight-distributing, and super supportive. Your dog will feel great sleeping on it, and you’ll feel great doing something with the planet in mind.
Your Havanese deserves the royal treatment (and he probably knows it, too!). This WFH bed will make him feel like a king when he’s sleeping on plush microvelvet that’s not only soft but beautiful enough to accentuate your home decor. If you’re worried microvelvet means it’s a delicate bed, fear not. It’s tougher than it looks, as the top cushion is discreetly zippered onto the bottom, keeping it safe from feisty Havanese who might tear it off and shake it about. There’s no memory foam in this WFH, however; it has a fiber filling, but it should still allow for decent support. While the price tag is a bit steeper than other beds, the great news is that the sizing is great for small dogs, and the materials are both beautiful and functional.
This is a perfect Havanese bed, especially for any little worriers out there. It’s another soothing nester, perfect for dogs under 25 pounds who want to burrow and snuggle their anxiety away. Although most cuddlers are self-warming, which one side does accomplish, you can flip this bed to the other side and find a cooling surface for your dog, ideal for the summer. Lastly, the cover is removable and machine-washable, so any summer adventures your Havanese might find will clean up easily.
Layla is always trying to think of new and improved ways to help your pet have the best rest possible. Let’s start with the materials; instead of cheap fillers, Layla has added copper for sanitary, cooling sleep. The cover is removable and machine-washable. The bed is also essentially two beds in one with the flippable firmness design. One side is a flatter, firmer surface, and the other is a textured, more breathable option. Just let your Havanese decide for himself, which he can test for himself for a full 30 days. Plus, they have a one-year warranty and free shipping.
With three sizing options, one of which that’s toy dog-friendly, this Wild One bed looks like an adorable mini sofa for your pup. However, it’s orthopedic and will help protect your dog’s body while he sleeps, thanks to its tiered, virgin poly memory, and support foam. There’s also a waterproof PVC-lining that will help any nocturnal messes stay contained. The many sidewalls will give your Havanese plenty of headrest on the special double-layer of polyweave cover. It’s not just tough, but removable and machine-washable. Lastly, the bottom has some nice gripping to help it stay where you put it.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best type of dog bed for a Havanese? Havanese are in the toy dog category. This means that they will feel the most at home in an enclosed dog bed, or one with three walls, to help them self-soothe and stave off anxiety, particularly separation anxiety. Havanese are also known for their beautiful coats, which means you will face lots of shedding and possibly tracking in dirt and grime, so find a bed that has a machine-washable, removable cover for easy cleanup.
- Do orthopedic dog beds really help for Havanese? Havanese are generally very healthy dogs, but they do face joint problems in their hips and knees. Orthopedic beds help protect and cushion these vulnerable spots, which may either prevent issues from developing or alleviate any pain they already face. If you don’t know what condition your Havanese is in, talk to your vet. She can test your pup’s joints, and also help you make the best decision when it comes to his bedding.
- Do Havanese need comfy beds? Like other toy dogs, Havanese should be responsibly exercised. Small dogs are vulnerable to obesity, which means that a brisk daily walk or playtime in the backyard with you should be an everyday occurrence. Afterward, he will need time to recuperate, and dogs can spend an average of 12 and 14 hours a day sleeping. Your Havanese will either spend a lot of time on his comfy bed or the hard floor constantly. Being on the floor doesn’t seem like an apparent risk, but constant sleeping on hard surfaces can cause health problems to arise. Help him rest comfortably by getting him the best comfy bed you can find.
- Is memory foam toxic to Havanese? Memory foam is a very popular sleeping choice, for both people and pets. It’s great for those who need extra support on their joints, bones, and muscles for the best night’s sleep. As a sleeping surface, it’s quite safe, or it would not be used so widely in high-quality, orthopedic mattresses. However, it was never meant to be ingested; the ingredients found in these mattresses consist of synthetic ingredients like polyurethane and added toxic chemicals. Never leave your Havanese unsupervised with his memory foam bed, especially when he’s young and prone to chewing.
In their appearance, Havanese will always look like the most adorable little puppies. Puppies are extremely resilient and easy to care for, but don’t forget that both your adolescent and full-grown Havanese needs extra care and precautions when it comes to giving him the best quality of life. To help him live the longest and happiest life possible with you, take the time to find the best bed available.