A quirky little breed, French Bulldogs are bright, affectionate, and totally charming. They are the perfect pet for couples or families with children. These pups do not require all that much in the way of exercise.
If you have a Frenchie for a pet, you will understand the importance of providing them with the right kind of accessories – especially a bed. Giving them their very own sleeping place helps them to feel safe, secure, and happy in your home.
Yet with so many styles and sizes of bed around, finding the perfect one can be tricky and a bit confusing. Here we will provide you with a little information about the different types of beds and an overview of some of the ones that we like best.
What Is The Best Dog Bed For French Bulldogs?
- Best Overall: Puffy Dog Bed
- Best Orthopedic: Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Luxury: ELUX Pet Bed
- Best Chew Proof: Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
- Best Affordable: Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Elevated: Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Best Travel: Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Calming: Best Friends by Sheri, The Original Calming Shag Vegan
- FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow Dog Bed
- Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
- Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
- WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
- Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
- Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
- Wild One Dog Bed
6 Different Types of Dog Beds for French Bulldogs
- Orthopedic Beds – Perfect for pooches that are getting on a bit, orthopedic beds are designed to be kind to older bones, joints, and muscles. The firm mattress provides stable support and avoids any painful pressure points that could aggravate arthritic aches and pains.
- Pillow Beds – Great for hot climates and dogs who enjoy spreading out, pillow beds are not enclosed in any way. This allows your pup to have a greater amount of space so they can move around just as much as they want while napping.
- Elevated/Cooling Beds – Suitable for use outdoors in hot climates or during the summer, elevated beds are ones that are suspended slightly above the ground. This allows air to circulate freely both underneath as well as around the bed, keeping your canine cool as can be.
- Heated Beds – A necessity in colder climates, heated beds are usually designed with multiple layers that trap body heat and reflect it back. Some of these beds even contain specific heating devices such as pads for helping your fur baby stay cozy all night long.
- Covered Beds – Handy for younger dogs, ones who are still a little bit anxious, or simply those who like to burrow down to sleep, these beds are equipped with some kind of cover – whether it be a blanket or a type of hood so your pet can feel secure and snug.
- Sofa Beds – Half-way between the pillow bed and the covered bed, sofa beds are designed similarly to a couch with raised sides or bolsters on three, and sometimes all sides. This offers the best of both worlds – somewhere to snuggle and room to stretch.
5 Key Considerations When Looking for a French Bulldog Dog Bed
- How big is your dog? Dog beds are available in various different sizes, but it’s not so difficult to pick the perfect one for your pet. The small, medium, and large tags will give you an indication of which size might work best for the breed, but make sure you also check the measurements. The bed should be longer than your dog’s nose to tail tip and broader than their shoulders at the widest point.
- Do they like to burrow or stretch? Dogs naturally differ in their choice of sleeping positions, so you really need to keep an eye out for this when considering purchasing a bed. Whether they prefer to stretch or curl, sprawl or burrow will impact the type of bed and also the shape that you opt for. Keep this in mind also when selecting whether the bed has bolsters or not, they are great for cuddling up to but can prevent stretching out if too high.
- Are they likely to chew their bed? Another important consideration is the durability of the fabric. Some beds have been carefully constructed with specific materials that can endure biting and scratching from long claws and sharp teeth, whereas others don’t fare so well. If you know your little angel is a bit of a chewer, then it is better to be safe than sorry and pick out something that will last.
- Do they need to be warm or kept cool? This is probably one of the most essential questions to ask yourself when shopping around for a bed. Different fabrics and fillers have been employed for various purposes when it comes to temperature control. However, you will also come across a few more versatile options that offer a suitable solution for dealing with both hot and cold environments as required.
- What are their individual needs? Alongside their size and sleeping preferences, there are a few other key things you need to think about when selecting the right kind of bed, for instance, your pet’s age and any health issues they may have. Older dogs with stiff joints or arthritis can really benefit from the right kind of orthopedic mattress as well as a bed that is easy to access and a younger, more timid one from a soft, cozy cushion and bolsters.
Overall Best Dog Beds for French Bulldogs
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Bed for French Bulldogs|
|Puffy Dog Bed
|Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic
|ELUX Dog Bed
|Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
|Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster
|Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
|ChuckIt! Travel Bed
|Best Friends By Sheri, The Original Calming Shag
|FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam
|Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
|Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
|WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
|Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
|Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
|Wild One Dog Bed
- A comfortable yet durable bed
- Contains pressure-relieving foam
- Has a removable cover for easy washing
- The nonslip fabric helps with getting in and out
Best Overall Dog Bed For French Bulldogs – The Puffy Dog Bed is an excellent choice for your French Bulldog. Designed in the sofa style with soft and comfortable sidewalls, this luxurious bed allows your dog to snuggle up for a great night’s sleep.
Moreover, the orthopedic base mattress is constructed from high-density memory foam. It helps to reduce any weight pressure on older pup’s joints and gently supports their movements.
The outer material is 100% polyester microfiber. It is durable, scratch-resistant, and well able to withstand a good amount of wear and tear. Even better than that, it is fully removable and can be washed in the machine to keep it clean and fresh smelling.
- Sturdy and well made
- Nice, smooth touch
- Thick, comfortable cushion
- Easy to clean
- Doesn’t retain heat
- More expensive than other options
- Two-piece versatile design
- Cozy and soft, washable outer layer
- Orthopedic support foam base
- Comfy bolsters and stylish design
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed For French Bulldogs – The Sherpa Orthopedic bed is particularly suitable for elderly dogs and ones with mobility issues but is also great for younger dogs in preventing any potential future problems.
The base of the bed contains the orthopedic foam support, and a removable cushion allows for a touch of extra comfort as needed. In addition, the cushion itself is double-sided with a soft cloud Sherpa on one side, and a sky-tone, geometric twill print on the other.
Your pooch will really love snuggling up to the chenille jacquard covered supports, filled, as the cushion is, with fluffy polyester fiber. The bed is completely machine washable for ease of keeping it clean and fresh.
- Softer or firmer base as needed
- Bolsters provide additional comfort
- Easy to wash
- Stylish design
- Not very chew resistant
- Orthopedic Gel Enhanced Memory Foam
- Extremely durable for heavy-duty wear
- Stain and moisture resistant fabric
- Extra plush feel
Best Luxury Dog Bed For French Bulldogs – The Elux Pet Bed has been specially designed to offer your Frenchie a little touch of luxury. This elegant, comfortable pillow bed is perfect for dogs who love to really stretch out during their naps. The fabric has been explicitly crafted for breathability, which allows for an enhanced cooling effect to keep them cool.
Its sleek and soft exterior, which will look great in any space, combined with the five-inch thick memory foam cushion, make this bed truly one of the most comfortable pet beds around, even for older dogs.
In addition to that, the outer fabric makes use of LiveSmart technology, meaning that it is both moisture and stain-resistant, and when the time comes, you can remove the outer layer and chuck it in the washing machine to get it looking great again.
- Decent thickness cushion for a supportive bed
- Constructed from high-quality materials
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Plenty of room for your dog to spread out
- Doesn’t retain warmth
- No nonslip side for ease of access
- More expensive than other options
- Heavy-duty, chew-resistant fastenings
- Removable, washable microfiber cover
- Waterproof liner to protect cushion
- Made from non-toxic, hypoallergenic materials
Best Chew Resistant Dog Bed for French Bulldogs – The Chew Resistant Dog Bed is excellent for sharp-toothed pups who love biting, chewing, and digging at their bed. The high-quality Proprietary BullyTuf cover material has been explicitly manufactured for extreme durability and resistance to wear and tear. Furthermore, it is also hair and water-resistant and suitable for machine washing.
Additionally, the weaker areas of the bed – the seams and fastenings have been reinforced for extra strength, this is a very tough bed! The materials are also non-toxic and hypoallergenic, so it won’t cause your pooch any harm if they do chew.
As well as being highly suited for young and playful pups, the four-inch-thick cushion is made from Certipur-US certified-safe memory foam. This means it provides a suitable level of orthopedic support for older dogs too.
- Extremely hard-wearing
- Easy to keep clean and fresh
- Comfortable and soft
- Higher priced than other options
- Noisy material when dog is moving around
- Extremely cozy and soft
- Stylish design
- Machine washable for convenience
- Ultra-soft polyester fiber filling
Most Affordable Dog Bed For French Bulldogs – The Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Bed is an incredibly reasonably priced sofa-style pet bed that your snuggly pup will absolutely love. It has good sized bolsters on three of the sides as well as an easy access entryway for smaller and older dogs.
This super cuddly single-piece bed also features a cozy cloud Sherpa for extra comfort. The fluffy polyester filling provides an incredibly soft base for your pooch to get the best sleep possible. The whole thing is machine washable.
The bed is super smooth to the touch, and the outer part features a chic geometric twill print in colors that your pet will find very soothing, and that will look great alongside any décor style.
- Good value for money
- Nice size for spreading out
- Lightweight and machine washable
- Less orthopedic support than others
- Not chew proof
- Durable fabric sleeping surface
- Sturdy, powder-coated steel frame
- Skid-resistant feet for extra stability
- Quick and easy assembly
Best Elevated Dog Bed For French Bulldogs – The Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed is a perfect napping spot for your Frenchie both inside and outside the house. It’s great for use in the summer or in year-round warmer climates as the bed’s elevation combined with its breathable fabric will help to quickly cool your pooch right down.
Both the frame and the material are easy to wipe for cleanliness, and the hammock-style tight fabric, which is designed not to sag, provides a nice stable surface for your pet to sleep in absolute comfort.
The skid-resistant frame also provides excellent stability for when your pup is getting into or out of the bed, and the whole thing is solidly built and yet incredibly easy for you to assemble.
- Spacious to allow your dog to stretch out
- Very affordable price
- Takes pressure off painful joints
- Easy for older dogs to get in and out of
- Gets hot if left in direct sunlight
- Not chew proof
- Comes with a convenient carry case
- Soft and well-constructed
- Both comfortable and durable
- Easy to clean and to dry
Best Travel Dog Bed For French Bulldogs – The Travel Pillow Dog Bed is an affordable and convenient solution to helping your canine friend feel more comfortable and at home while out and about. The one-size-fits-all bed is soft, comfortable, and easy to take with you wherever you go.
Quality materials such as the water-resistant poly-suede mean that the bed is good for sleeping on, very durable, and can be washed and dried with ease. The bed is entirely machine washable and is great for keeping annoying hairs off your car seats.
The bed also comes with its very own carry bag, meaning that you can simply roll up the lightweight pillow and go. This is an excellent option for anyone who enjoys taking their pet camping, hiking, or out on the road.
- Compact and portable
- Solidly constructed to last
- Keeps its shape even after washing
- Easy to wipe down
- A little thinly padded compared to others
- Constructed from pet safe materials
- Provides orthopedic support
- Water-resistant bottom layer
- Supports overall better sleep
Best Calming Dog Bed For French Bulldogs – The Original Calming Donut Bed is a great option for dogs that are a little more nervous or skittish, for instance, younger ones or rescue pups. It provides them a cozy, luxurious sleeping environment that is specifically designed to help them to feel calmer and more secure.
Well-shaped to allow for burrowing and snuggling, your pooch will appreciate the soft base and protective raised edges. The top layer of the cushion is constructed from faux shag to remind your pup of their mother dog’s coat and give them with the ultimate level of comfort.
Additionally, layers of insulation, which trap your bud’s body heat and radiates it back towards them, make this bed excellently suited to keeping your dog warm in cooler spaces. The bed is also washing machine and dryer safe for ease of cleaning and maintenance.
- Nicely padded for a comfortable sleep
- Well-constructed from quality materials
- Helps nervous dogs feel more secure
- Retains in warmth well
- Not suitable for chewers
- Needs to be machine dried
7 Other Top-Rated French Bulldog Dog Beds
This open design bed features a memory foam cushion of medical-grade polyurethane to keep your pup supported in all the right places, a silky soft exterior that your pooch will love settling down into and a low-rise design for ease of access. All of this makes it ideally suited to older and younger dogs alike – especially those who enjoy having plenty of space.
Another open styled bed, this one includes an orthopedic mattress of high-density memory foam that provides a cushioned yet supportive base to ease your canine’s aches and pains, and a soft, removable cover with a waterproof inner layer to prevent damage to the mattress. This is another good one for sprawlers and elderly dogs alike.
This unique, 100% latex bed is a surprisingly effective alternative to other more conventional materials. The latex is highly breathable, so your pal won’t overheat, soft for an incredibly comfortable sleeping experience, durable to last a long time, and hypoallergenic so as to be suitable for all dogs – even ones with allergies. The organic cotton cover can be removed for cleaning.
With its beautifully bolstered design, this comfortable memory fiber bed provides your furry friend with a luxury sleep experience. The stylish outer layer is constructed from superior quality microvelvet fabric for softness, and the bed has a dual-layer, removable cushion that can easily be secured into place. This is good for dogs who like to be snug and enclosed while sleeping.
Another great one for pups who like to snuggle, this donut-shaped bed is perfect for nesting and curling up in. The bed is also super versatile to offer custom temperature comfort with its reversible exterior, which can either be used to keep your pet warm or cool as needed. The bed is also fully machine washable and quick and easy to dry.
The versatility of this particular bed is linked to its double-sided mattress that, on one side, provides your pooch with a firmer, supportive base to alleviate painful pressure points and, on the other side, gives them a softer, more snuggly napping experience. The durable fabric is incredibly long-lasting and easy to take care of, and the copper infused memory foam mattress is built for strength too.
Designed for its absolute practicality, this sofa-style bed has a water-resistant interior liner to prevent damage from accidents, nested zippers to discourage chewing and a nonslip base to avoid injury. However, not just functional, the bed is also extremely comfortable with its double-layered human-grade memory foam mattress that provides excellent support for your sleeping pup.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best type of dog bed for a French Bulldog? The best type of bed for your French Bulldog will be one that suits both their personality and age requirements: do they need a supportive mattress? Are they quite anxious and would prefer to have bolster support? However, you should also factor the temperature of their environment into the equation. These types of dogs can lose body heat quickly in colder places, so a covered bed might be your best option if this is the case.
- Do orthopedic dog beds really help French Bulldogs? While perhaps not so essential for younger dogs, older Frenchies will undoubtedly benefit from a mattress that is crafted to avoid putting pressure on areas that can become more painful as your pet gets older, for instance, their hips, shoulders, and backs.
- Do French Bulldogs need comfy beds? French Bulldogs tend to sleep around 14-16 hours per day, and having a comfy place for them to do this will make both their life and your life a lot easy. Even if they tend to sleep with you at night, they will still require a place to nap during the day. It’s better for them to become accustomed to doing this downstairs where accidents are less likely to occur – or won’t be such a problem if they do.
- Is memory foam toxic to French Bulldogs? Memory foam is not necessarily toxic to pets; however, some cheaper low-quality alternatives may have been exposed to harmful chemicals during manufacture. When purchasing a bed, ensure you take a look through the listed materials to see where and how they were constructed. A good way to ensure that the foam is safe for your pup is to look for CertiPUR-US® certification, this tells you that it has been quality checked.
All in all, while there may be many different types of dog beds out there, choosing the right one for your fur baby shouldn’t be all that difficult if you take the information included here into consideration. Making sure that it matches their individual needs will mean that you have both a happy pooch and a long-lasting pet bed.