Purchasing the perfect German Shepherd bed may seem quite easy – just choose something that’s big enough to fit your dog and make sure that it’s warm and comfortable, right?
Not exactly. While German Shepherds may not be as picky or temperamental as other dog breeds, they can be pretty destructive and have a higher risk of some pretty serious joint-related conditions. This means that there are quite a few factors you’ll need to consider when purchasing a dog bed for your German Shepherd.
These include whether you should stock up on cheaper beds or invest more in something that will last a lifetime, as well as whether you should pre-emptively buy an orthopedic bed to ease any conditions your dog may develop later in life. Those questions, as well as many others, will hopefully be answered in our guide below!
What Is The Best Dog Bed For German Shepherds?
- Best Overall: Puffy Dog Bed
- Best Orthopedic: Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Luxury: ELUX Pet Bed
- Best Chew Proof: Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
- Best Affordable: Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Elevated: Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Best Travel: Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Calming: Best Friends by Sheri, The Original Calming Shag Vegan
- FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow Dog Bed
- Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
- Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
- WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
- Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
- Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
- Wild One Dog Bed
6 Different Types Of Dog Beds For German Shepherds
- Pillow Beds: While pillow beds are usually the most simple type of dog beds, they’re incredibly affordable and comfortable. They can fit anywhere, and come in a variety of styles and designs, so you’re bound to find something suitable for your German Shepherd.
- Sofa Beds: These beds are basically a better version of pillow beds. They provide some added support through a firmer mattress or cushion, and are usually a bit bigger than pillow beds. They’re a good middle ground between a simple pillow bed and an orthopedic bed.
- Orthopedic Beds: Orthopedic dog beds support and distribute your dog’s weight evenly throughout the bed. This takes off the pressure they may be feeling in their joints, and lets them relax completely. German Shepherds are especially prone to hip dysplasia because of their stances, and an orthopedic bed can help relieve the painful symptoms.
- Covered Beds: Covered beds are great for puppies and shy adult dogs. They provide a very private and cozy space, making your dog feel safe while they sleep. Adult German Shepherds usually aren’t too bothered about covered beds as they are a very outgoing breed, but puppies absolutely love them!
- Heated Beds: These beds help to keep your dog warm at night, which is especially important if you live in an area with a colder climate. They either have electrical heating pads, or they use a special insulation layer to reflect your dog’s body warmth and keep them warm.
- Elevated/Cooling Beds: Cooling beds do the opposite of heated beds – they keep your dog from overheating. The main bed part is elevated above the ground, allowing for good air circulation. Some German Shepherds have longer and thicker fur than others, so keep this in mind if you’re considering a cooling bed – not every German Shepherd will necessarily need one.
5 Key Considerations When Looking For A German Shepherd Dog Bed
Apart from the obvious needs your German Shepherd will have, there are some other factors you’ll need to consider when looking to purchase a dog bed. Some of these are severely overlooked by most people, which leads to them wasting money on a product that their dog doesn’t accept, or that ends up being unsuitable and in need of replacement.
- Washability: This is incredibly important if you have a dog that loves making a mess. German Shepherds are naturally very outgoing and active dogs, so they’re bound to come trekking mud through the house at one point or another. You’ll need something that’s easy to clean, and is ideally machine washable, so you don’t have to waste your time washing it by hand.
- Size: German Shepherds are big dogs, so you’re going to have to accommodate to their size. Your dog will need to be able to comfortably stretch out on the bed you buy it, especially since they don’t usually enjoy sleeping curled up in a small ball.
- Nesting: Some dogs have a habit of trying to create a little nest out of their dog beds, by burrowing under the bottom cushion layer. German Shepherd puppies are common culprits of this, so consider buying a bed without a removable cushion and investing in lots of blankets, to prevent your pup from destroying its bed immediately after purchase. This breed usually outgrows this habit, so once your German Shepherd is older, you probably won’t have to worry too much about this.
- Fitting in a crate: If you want to crate train your German Shepherd, your best bet is to get a comfortable dog bed that they will love, and that will fit inside their crate. That way, they’ll associate the crate with their comfortable and cozy bed, and will cause fewer problems down the line. However, this breed usually doesn’t do too well with sitting in crates, so do this at your own responsibility!
- Sides: Most German Shepherds love sprawling out as much as they can while sleeping, though some do curl up into a tiny ball, especially if they’re still young. You need to know exactly how your dog likes to sleep, to ensure the sides of the dog bed, or a lack of them, won’t deter them from using it.
Overall Best Dog Bed For German Shepherds
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Bed for German Shepherds|
|Puffy Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic ||CHECK PRICE|
|ELUX Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|ChuckIt! Travel Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Friends By Sheri, The Original Calming Shag ||CHECK PRICE|
|FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam ||CHECK PRICE|
|Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress ||CHECK PRICE|
|WFH High Memory Fiber Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Wild One Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
- High-density and super comfortable foam mattress
- Has a non-slip fabric on the bottom to prevent sliding
- Soft and supportive sides can act as headrests
- Easily removable and machine washable cover
Overall Best Dog Bed For German Shepherds – The memory foam mattress works wonders to provide your German Shepherd with an incredibly comfortable night’s sleep. You can easily remove the cover to wash it and clean the bed of any dog hair or other dirt and grime.
Puffy offer their customers a 101 night-long sleep trial, so you can see if your German Shepherd will actually like their new bed. If they don’t, you’ll get a full refund, no questions asked! Also, if you do decide to keep the bed, you’ll get a lifetime warranty, so you won’t have to worry about spending hundreds to constantly replace the bed.
- Combines innovation and comfort with unique memory foam mattress
- Comes in different sizes, making it suitable for any age and breed of dog
- Scratch resistant material
- Sides create cozy and safe space for shy dogs
- These beds aren’t very affordable, with the cheapest one retailing for over $100
- Keep an eye on the measurements, as even the biggest bed can prove too small for your German Shepherd
- Very soft and cozy material
- Easily removable cushion for cleaning
- Has a convoluted foam base to provide firm support
- Fluffy bolster edges make great headrests
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed For German Shepherds – As we mentioned before, German Shepherds have a higher risk of developing a quite painful condition called hip dysplasia. It can make walking and laying down quite uncomfortable and painful for them, but these symptoms can be reduced by purchasing an orthopedic bed like this one.
The Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster comes as a two piece set, with both the cushion and the side bolsters filled with a fluffy polyester fiber. Underneath, you’ll find a base made from convoluted foam, which gives the bed it’s firm, orthopedic support. It’ll distribute their weight evenly throughout the whole bed, taking off pressure from their joints and hind legs.
- Will help to relieve any pain or pressure your dog is feeling on its joints
- Whole bed is machine washable, so no need to worry about waterproof mats
- Uses super soft fabric to make the bed as comfortable as possible
- The fabric used isn’t chew resistant, so we don’t recommend it for naughty puppies
- It’s very flat and low on the ground, making it quite difficult for older dogs to use comfortably – that can be a big issue as most dogs develop joint problems as they age
- Uses LiveSmart technology that prevents stains and moisture damage
- Incredibly durable materials that come with a lifetime guarantee
- Thicker than most dog beds for added comfort and physical support
- Range of different options, including extra soft bedding or memory foam
Best Luxury Dog Bed For German Shepherds – These luxury beds will provide your German Shepherd with an amazing night’s sleep! They’re much thicker than standard dog beds, giving your dog much more comfort and support. Also, the bedding is made from pretty durable materials, so the bed can be used practically anywhere: indoors outdoors, in a kennel, or in a crate.
ELUX use something called LiveSmart technology, which makes the beds completely waterproof and resistant to scratches. This means they will last you a very long time, making them worth the premium price tag!
- Very thick and cozy, to keep your pup warm and comfortable throughout the night
- Resistant to stains and water damage, so no need to wash the bedding – just wipe it down with a cloth
- Attractive and luxurious design that fits in anywhere within the home
- Quite expensive, though some would argue that the features excuse the price
- No sides to support your dog, may be unsuitable for dogs that prefer tighter, enclosed dog beds
- Added thickness may make using the bed more difficult for older German Shepherds, or those suffering from hip dysplasia
- All materials are non-toxic and hypoallergenic
- Microfiber cover is removable and machine washable
- Waterproof liner included with the bed, so no need to worry about accidents!
- Kevlar reinforced seams and special BullyTuf cover material, designed to withstand chewing, digging, and scratching
Best Chew Resistant Dog Bed For German Shepherds – Yes, you read that right. These dog beds have Kevlar reinforced seams that prevent your dog from ripping the bed to shreds. This bed was made to withstand all forms of chewing, digging, and scratching, making it an amazing option for owners with disruptive German Shepherds, who enjoy destroying all their possessions for fun.
Apart from being super strong, the bed is also pretty comfortable. It has a great memory foam mattress, which will keep your dog sleeping soundly through the whole night. I has a pretty simple design that fits in flawlessly with almost any home décor.
- If your dog happens to somehow destroy the bed, you get a new one, completely free of charge
- The mattress is orthopedic and free of any toxic chemicals or heavy metals that may harm your dog
- Uses heavy duty Velcro instead of weak zippers that can be easily damaged
- Though the features are impressive, the bed is still very expensive – prices start at $130 and go all the way up to $290, depending on size
- While the bed is comfortable and gives support, the fabric isn’t soft or warm, which may prove to be a problem in colder climates
- Incredibly soft lining made from polyester fibers
- Snug rectangular shape to keep your dog feeling cozy and protected
- Easy to clean and machine washable
- Super low price compared to other, similar brands
Most Affordable Dog Bed For German Shepherds – Whether you’re a new pet owner and don’t want to commit to something super expensive, or your Husky just loves to destroy its bedding and you need a quick replacement, this bed is the perfect solution for German Shepherd owners on a budget!
It’s made from incredibly soft fabrics, has supportive bolster sides that can act as head rests, and includes a comfortable cushion to lay on – all for a much lower price than its competitors. Also, it’s made to be snug and cozy around your dog, so you don’t have to worry about it taking up too much floor space.
- Very cheap compared to competing brands, since it costs less than $30 at full price, and barely over $20 with a promotion or voucher code
- Still very comfortable – you’re not sacrificing comfort by paying a lower price
- Easy to clean and can be washed in a washing machine
- Definitely not chew or scratch resistant – if your German Shepherd is particularly destructive, this can cause expenses to pile up
- While overall pretty great, cheaper prices do still mean cheaper materials, so don’t be surprised if the bed doesn’t last long as you expected
- Durable, PVC-covered fabric that’s made to last
- Very easy to understand instructions, making it quick and easy to assemble
- Very sturdy, powder-covered steel frame
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors
Best Elevated Dog Bed For German Shepherds – This is perfect if your German Shepherd can’t get through the night without overheating. The steel frame lifts the bed up just enough to provide great air circulation, without being dangerous or hard to access for your dog.
Also, speaking of accessibility, it’s also a great option for a slightly older German Shepherd, who struggles to lay down on the floor. This slightly higher bed makes it easier to lay down and get up for older pups. Also, despite not being marketed as orthopedic, elevated beds like this one usually distribute your dog’s weight fairly evenly, making it a good option for German Shepherds with hip dysplasia.
- Frame isn’t too high so both smaller puppies and older dogs can make use of the bed
- Incredibly dirt resistant and breathable material
- Very cheap for this type of bed – it costs less than $30!
- Can be used indoors and outdoors
- Though material is breathable, it’s probably not very soft or comfortable – no plush bedding, no cushions, no blankets
- Can only hold dogs up to 85 lbs, so if your German Shepherd is on the biggest side, consider purchasing a different bed
- Very soft, yet durable fabric
- Completely machine washable
- Can be used indoors and outdoors due to water resistant fabric
Best Travel Dog Bed For German Shepherds – Traveling with your German Shepherd has never been easier! The pillow is made from a very durable material, and while it’s not completely waterproof, it’s resistant enough to be suitable for outdoor use. It’s very easy to pack away, and can even fit in the backseat of a standard car.
While not a full bed, it can be used alongside some pillows and blankets if your German Shepherd really loves nesting. Also, it can easily be used as a furniture cover if wherever you’re going to doesn’t have much floor space.
- Breathable and quick-drying material
- Incredibly comfortable and soft
- Can be folded and packed away with ease, comes with a stuff sack included
- While it does come in a few different sizes, bigger dogs may be too big to fit on it properly
- Doesn’t provide any orthopedic support or heating/cooling properties, so it’s not good enough for German Shepherds with special needs
- Keeps your dog very warm and cozy in the night
- Small design makes dog feel much safer than being out in the open
- Has a water-resistant nylon base
- Has a comfortable, orthopedic mattress
- Machine washable and safe to put in a dryer
Best Calming Dog Bed For German Shepherds – The Best Friends bed is perfect for German Shepherd puppies, or adults with anxiety issues. It provides a safe space for them to retreat to whenever they feel anxious, and keeps them feeling protected with a warm, vegan fur lining and tall sides.
The bed has a unique insulation layer which makes it self-heating. This means that the bed will radiate warmth from your dog’s own body heat, keeping them warm and safe throughout the night – no heating pads needed!
- Has raised edges that allow your dog to nest and burrow into the bed, making it feel much safer
- Orthopedic mattress relieves pressure points and joint pain
- Uses vegan fur
- Fabric isn’t scratch or chew resistant, so dogs with nervous chewing habits will destroy the bed pretty quickly
- May be a very temporary bed if it’s only for a puppy, so the $40 price tag might not be worth it
7 Other Top Rated German Shepherd Dog Beds
This bed has an amazing memory foam mattress and orthopedic base, making it perfect for older German Shepherds suffering from joint problems or hip dysplasia.
The simplistic yet incredibly comfortable bed is a great choice for your German Shepherd. The materials are non-toxic and will last you a lifetime, plus the bed looks incredibly stylish!
This mattress is made from an incredibly breathable material, which will keep your German Shepherd cool during the night – this is especially handy if your pup has longer fur! It’s pretty versatile, and can even be placed inside a different dog bed to create extra comfort and support.
This luxury option will give your pup ultimate comfort and coziness. The bed is very thick, with raised sides that act as comfortable headrests.
This is another great option for nervous or younger German Shepherds – they’ll be able to hide away from the world in this cozy little bed!
The Layla dog bed is another great memory foam mattress, designed to reduce symptoms of arthritis and hip dysplasia. The bed has a 1 year warranty, and you can try it out for 30 nights before deciding if you want to keep it.
This bed has a unique, tiered foam design, which provides maximum comfort and support for your pup. It has a very durable cover made from poly-weave, which can be machine washed.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best type of bed for a German Shepherd? Honestly, we would definitely recommend some sort of bed that offers a lot of weight support. German Shepherds are big dogs, and are prone to lots of issues with their joints and hind legs, so you should ideally be giving them all the physical support they can get with their bed.
- Do orthopedic dog beds really help German Shepherds? Yes, they do! They help to relieve pressure points on their joints and hind legs, and provide a very comfortable sleeping experience.
- Do German Shepherds need comfy beds? Of course! Just like humans, they need and deserve somewhere cozy and comfortable to sleep every night.
- Is memory foam toxic to German Shepherds? While memory foam is safe to sleep on, it is toxic when ingested. This means that if your German Shepherd is destructive, it’ll be much safer to buy a bed made from different materials.
We hope that this guide has proven helpful in your journey to finding the perfect dog bed for your German Shepherd. Remember, be smart and try to find brands who offer full refunds if your dogs don’t take a liking to the bed you buy – it can save you a lot of money down the road!