- What Is The Best Dog Bed For Golden Retrievers?
- 6 Different Types of Dog Beds for Golden Retrievers
- 5 Key Considerations When Looking for a Golden Retriever
- Best Overall Dog Beds For Golden Retrievers
- Puffy Dog Bed
- Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- ELUX Pet Bed
- Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
- Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Friends by Sheri, The Original Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed
- 7 Other Top Rated Golden Retriever Dog Beds
- Frequently Asked Questions
When your Golden Retriever isn’t giving the mailman a friendly greeting, chasing backyard squirrels, or pulling you along on your daily walks, she’s usually snoozing by your feet, snoring out loud at night, or taking a forbidden nap on the couch. It’s a wild fact, but the average dog sleeps anywhere from 12-14 hours a day, and if you have a puppy or a senior, it could be even more!
Dogs spend so much time sleeping for very good reason. Ever see your Golden Retriever kicking, running, or barking in her sleep? That’s when she’s entered her rapid eye movement phase of sleep, also known as REM. It takes a dog about 10 minutes to get there, and dogs only get to enjoy about 10% of their sleep in REM because they conk out whenever, be it because of actual rest needs or because they’re bored. As a result, your Golden Retriever needs more total sleep to make up the REM time. This makes picking the best bed for your Golden extremely important. After all, she could be doing more sleep time than awake time on an average day, clocking her much-needed hours on her bed. Take the time to carefully research and understand the kinds of things that your Golden Retriever might need when it comes to her bed.
What Is The Best Dog Bed For Golden Retrievers?
- Best Overall: Puffy Dog Bed
- Best Orthopedic: Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Luxury: ELUX Pet Bed
- Best Chew Proof: Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
- Best Affordable: Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Elevated: Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Best Travel: Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Calming: Best Friends by Sheri, The Original Calming Shag Vegan
- FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow Dog Bed
- Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
- Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
- WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
- Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
- Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
- Wild One Dog Bed
6 Different Types of Dog Beds for Golden Retrievers
Simply grabbing the first dog bed on sale at your local pet store often won’t cut it when it comes to dog bed shopping, especially for your active and adventurous Golden Retriever. After all, the types and purposes behind the different beds vary wildly. As a general rule of thumb, there are six kinds you can expect to find:
- Orthopedic: This kind of dog bed is here to make sure that your pup’s bones and joints, especially her hips and elbows, are nice and supported. The average run-of-the-mill dog bed most commonly found is usually fluffed with cheap fillers such as wood chips or polyester. Orthopedic dog beds, on the other hand, are made of highly supportive material like memory foam or latex. Your Golden will likely not be able to feel the floor or deal with the hard ground when using an orthopedic bed, which is important if she has any health issues.
- Pillow: A pillow bed is very easy to understand–a dog bed shaped like a pillow–and very easy to find. However, it’s important to note that they range widely in quality, so they are not all created equal. You can get all shapes and sizes, as well as colors and materials. The best part of a pillow bed is the freedom of sleeping positions, whether your Golden likes to sleep curled up, splayed out, on her back, whatever!
- Elevated/cooling: Beautiful, luxurious fur can be a downfall when you’re trying to sleep comfortably, and that’s where cooling beds come in. It’s important to keep an eye on your Golden, as heat stroke or lack of sleep can seriously jeopardize her health. Regular dog beds simply pocket your dog’s body heat, but a cooling dog bed specifically releases it to keep her at a comfortable temperature.
- Heated: Depending on where you live, your Golden might need the opposite help in staying warm. Like being too hot, staying too cold can result in compromised immune systems and health failure. One solution is a heated dog bed that preserves your dog’s natural body heat, whether it’s through a power source or the design of the bed.
- Covered: More nervous dogs will truly appreciate a covered dog bed, as the roof offers a sense of sheltering and nesting that translates to a sense of security. Although the canopy or igloo shape is usually only for small pups, any dogs facing anxiety can benefit from a covered dog bed.
- Sofa: A sofa dog bed is the name of the game when it comes to home aesthetics, as it is a dog bed shaped like a miniature couch that will match any room in the house. If you have a dog who likes to sneak onto the sofa, you can beat her to it by purchasing her a couch of her own!
5 Key Considerations When Looking for a Golden Retriever
Now that you’re familiar with all of the different dog beds, you should be taking a good look at your Golden Retriever and her individual needs. The bed your neighbor with the French Bulldog raves about may not work best for your pup and her personality. With that in mind, take a look at the five things you need to consider about Golden Retrievers and their beds:
- Size: Some Goldens can grow up to 75 pounds! With heft like that, it’ll be an important step to physically measure your Golden with a tape measure and understand the dimensions of the bed you’ll buy. Think about the positions she favors; if she likes to stretch out all the way, be sure to add several inches to the sizing. A good rule of thumb is making sure that her whole body from nose to paws stays on the bed without dangling off, but take a look at the manufacturer’s suggestions before you purchase.
- Longevity: Most Goldens live anywhere between 10 and 12 years. While you will probably switch beds at some point in her life, picking a bed with her lifespan in mind can save you time and money. If she’s a younger Golden, pick a bed that is on the more durable and chew-resistant side of things, as most dogs have the “chew” instinct on the forefront of their minds. Remember that there’s no such thing as a completely chew-proof bed, but beds labeled “chew-resistant” will certainly help.
- Washability: With their long, dirt-trapping fur and fun-loving spirits, Goldens will most likely get their beds dirty. An adorable bed that’s one piece and wash-by-hand may not be the best investment, so keep an eye out for beds that are machine-washable, multi-piece, or dirt resistant.
- Support: Goldens are among the breed of dogs that are susceptible to hip dysplasia, and most are at high risk at a later point in their lives. Finding an orthopedic bed with tons of hip support early in her life can help prevent future issues, or alleviate pain with older Golden Retrievers.
- Position Preference: Each dog with her individual personality will have different preferences when it comes to sleep. More outgoing dogs might prefer to splay out, while shy dogs may seek to curl up to rest. Observe the positions your dog takes when she nods off so you can know the shape and materials that may make her most comfortable.
With all of these elements in mind, you’re ready to find the best bed for your Golden Retriever! The good news is that we are here to save you time, so we have taken a look for you already! Here are some of the best of the best for your reviewing pleasure.
Best Overall Dog Beds For Golden Retrievers
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Bed for Golden Retrievers|
|Puffy Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic||CHECK PRICE|
|ELUX Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|ChuckIt! Travel Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Friends By Sheri, The Original Calming Shag||CHECK PRICE|
|FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam||CHECK PRICE|
|Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress||CHECK PRICE|
|WFH High Memory Fiber Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Wild One Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
- Washable cover
- Orthopedic base
- Cooling material
Best Overall Dog Bed For Golden Retrievers: The Puffy dog bed is a pretty ideal choice for Golden Retriever owners, as it focuses on comfort and washability. With its cooling, weight-distributing memory foam, it will help with any joint or bone issues that your Golden may have, and since it has a removable cover that you can throw in the washing machine, she can also enjoy her day outside without worrying you about the nighttime cleanup. Add in the durable cover material that will protect against kicking sleepers’ claws, the Puffy bed is a winning option.
On top of all of these features, Puffy also sets out to provide the best in customer service for buyers. The bed comes with a lifetime warranty, free shipping, and a 101 day trial period so that your Golden can see for herself what the fuss is about. At the end of the trial, if you feel that the Puffy bed is not a good fit, just return it for a refund.
- Cost-free shipping
- Lifetime warranty
- 101-day trial
- Highly supportive
- Higher cost
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed For Golden Retrievers: The Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Bed sure is an eye-catcher! With a selection of three adorable prints, it’d be easy to pick on looks alone! However, it’s not just a welcome addition to your home’s aesthetics. It also has two levels of comfort built into this rectangle bed, and it’s cozily lined with Sherpa for your pup’s snuggling pleasure.
If your Golden Retriever requires extra support, this Frisco bed makes a good option, as it has a full surrounding of bolstering sidewalls. This means plenty of ways to rest her head on this bed, and if your Golden faces any anxiety, the walled bed may offer extra security for her.
- Wallet-friendly price
- Design options
- Machine washable
- Ample headrest
- Less durable
- Limited sleeping positions
- Two choices of design
- Stain and moisture-resistant
- Quality materials
Best Luxury Dog Bed For Golden Retrievers: Talk about your high-quality materials! The same kind of memory foam that you may enjoy in your own bed at night is right here in the eLux pet bed for your Golden Retriever. This means some serious gel mattress comfort for her, as well as a bottom base of supporting foam. You have two choices when it comes to the eLux: either the Extra Plush or the Memory Foam option.
These high-quality materials come at a steeper price than most, but it’s a price that many pet owners have sought to pay, as there is often a waitlist for an eLux pet bed, demonstrating its high demand. You may have to opt for being notified via email the next time they come into stock, but with all of its perks, it could be well worth the wait!
- High-quality material
- Hygienic patented LiveSmart barrier protection
- Higher price
- Fewer design/color options
Best Chew Resistant Dog Bed For Golden Retrievers: Bully Beds have set out to make a name for themselves in the toughness of their beds. While it’s impossible to make a bed completely dog-proof, they use materials like bulletproof Kevlar on the seams and get rid of zippers altogether. This means that Golden Retrievers intent on total bed destruction will have one heck of a time! They will still rest in comfort, however, with the Bully Bed’s Certipur-US certified-safe memory foam.
Even if your determined Golden manages to sink her teeth into the bed, the good news is that PBDEs, TDCPP, or TCEP (“Tris”) flame retardants, mercury, lead, heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates, and CFCs are nowhere to be found in Bully Beds. This makes them non-toxic and hypoallergenic. Although these beds may not be the most visually pleasing, it’s a comfort to know that your dog bed is a safe place for your dog to enjoy.
- Smell and hair-resistant
- 200-day guarantee
- Limited aesthetics
- Easy entry
Most Affordable Dog Bed For Golden Retrievers: If you’re looking to buy your Golden Retriever a great bed but also save your wallet, this could be the bed for you. Frisco offers an adorable rectangle bed whose softness in the Sherpa lining will leave your Golden coming back night after night. It’s a great choice for older Goldens with its one lower side allowing for an easy step in. The other three sides offer a plush covering of Sherpa.
Some of the downsides of the Frisco lie in the lighter support. Because it is a thinner base, there’s a good chance that your Golden will feel the floor through the bedding. Some dogs prefer this amount of support, but it may not be the best fit for older Goldens, or ones that have bone or joint problems. Additionally, over time, the polyester filling may give way to complete flatness due to wear and tear, nor will it endure any kind of roughhousing. Plus, though Frisco declares on its site that this bed is machine washable, there is no removable exterior cover, meaning the entire bed must go in the washing machine, further compromising its shape even on the gentle setting of washing machines.
- Great designs
- Free shipping on orders over $49
- Less durable
- Great for outdoors
- Off the ground
Best Elevated Dog Bed For Golden Retrievers: If you have a mess-prone golden who needs to stay cool outdoors, she will love this Frisco elevated bed. It has a powder-coated steel frame and PVC sleeping surface that will make it a strong candidate for lasting for years to come. Plus, if your Golden is a chewer, there won’t be any filling floating across your yard to clean up. Its surface is also designed to be very easy to clean, even as simple as a hose off.
However, what the Frisco elevated bed offers in durability and cleanliness, it is challenged in comfort. It is a more difficult design in which your Golden can cuddle up. Also, there is a chance that she might get too cold, as there is virtually nothing in warmth-saving capabilities on this bed. It is also not an eye-catcher, but if you aim to leave it on the patio or take it on the road, it is still a great option.
- Easy cleaning
- Elevated, cooling sleeping
- Breathable fabric
- Less comfortable surface
- One size
Best Travel Dog Bed For Golden Retrievers: If you have ever had the wish to have a sleeping bag for your Golden Retriever, Chuckit! has you covered! On any camping, RV, or road trip adventures you take your Golden on, this portable and easy-storage bed is a must-have. When you stop, just roll it out for your Golden to rest; when it’s time to go, just put it back in the handy stuff sack that comes with it. It goes on all kinds of surfaces and fits in all kinds of spaces, making it the big name in canine travel convenience. And once you’ve come home from your ventures, all you need to do to clean it is put it in the washing machine and let its quick-drying properties work their magic.
However, this bed is quite thin, so it may not be the best bed for everyday use for any support-seeking Goldens. As it is one size only, it is also on the smaller side, so it may only be best for small or young Goldens. Keep this in mind before you hit “buy.”
- Easy to wash
- Quick to dry
- Small bed size
- Less support
- Less durable
- Round Cuddler Shape
Best Calming Dog Bed For Golden Retrievers: Even brave Golden Retrievers can face anxiety of their own, and if that’s yours, this Best Friends best is here to help her! Its cute nest shape helps make dogs feel sheltered and secure, and they can burrow to their hearts’ content. Plus, if they’re more susceptible to cold, the round shape helps seal their body heat in, warding off those chilly days or nights. Most cuddler design beds are made for smaller dogs, but the sizing on these beds goes all the way up to XXL, making it a wonderful choice for even your bigger Goldens!
Some of the challenges with this bed are that it isn’t the easiest to clean, it has less support, and it comes in only two colors. Like other beds that claim to be machine washable, this one does not have a removable cover, making it necessary to place the entire thing in the washing machine and compromising shape and longevity. While the site calls this bed orthopedic, it doesn’t contain memory foam or other more supportive material, putting it on the less-supportive side. And if you were looking for an array of color options to complement your room, you may need to look elsewhere.
- Anxiety relief
- Limited style options
7 Other Top Rated Golden Retriever Dog Beds
If none of the previous choices seemed like a perfect fit, fret not! Here are several other choices to consider on your dog bed shopping venture:
This bed may look like a simple square, but it has a wonderfully-thick memory foam core, so it will be fully supportive of your Golden Retriever’s orthopedic needs. With its square design, any mobility-challenged Goldens will have an easy time getting to bed. This FurHaven bed also has a removable cover that will make washing it quite simple and is also made of more durable material. While there are only three fairly plain color options, there are five whole sizes to choose from, meaning whatever size your Golden is, she can definitely sleep in a FurHaven!
The Griffith pet bed offers a lot in the way of luxurious appearances, as well as orthopedic support. It will look like a stylish furniture addition while also staying free of flimsy and toxic materials, supporting in dual layers, and allowing for all manner of sleep positions for your Golden Retriever. Its terrific stain-resistant and washable cover makes it a cinch to clean, and if there are any nighttime accidents, the waterproof liner will protect the actual bed. Speaking of protection, the Griffith also has a healthy warranty of up to three years.
We don’t often think of latex as the final word in comfort, but the folks at SleepEZ have redefined the material for us. Their site lets us know that their natural latex allows for more cooling, breathable sleeping surfaces, as well as unique and effective orthopedic support. The outside layer is an organic cotton cover, and the entire bed is promised to last five to seven years to come, thanks to its high durability. Add in the fact that latex breaks down much faster in landfills than conventional beds, and the eco-minded Golden Retriever owners can feel good about making the world a greener place.
Golden Retrievers will love the feel of this plush microvelvet bed, sleeping nightly in the lap of luxury that you’ll be excited to display in whatever room you choose. Not only does it look great, it also has a supportive high-quality memory foam center, and will stand up to more active Golden’s playtime with its sewn-down top cushion. Don’t worry about the cover being difficult to clean, either, as it’s removable and machine-washable.
Here’s a bed for all of the smaller or puppy-aged Goldens up to 25 pounds who just love to snuggle! The cuddler design is made for burrowing, snuggling, nesting, and self-soothing, so any Golden struggling with anxiety will gravitate towards it. For younger pups learning to potty train, the great news is that its exterior is machine-washable, and if you live in a climate where temperatures vary, you can reverse this bed to the heat-saving or cooling side, making it highly useful in any season.
Who doesn’t love a 30-night trial period? The two-beds-in-one feature might get your Golden excited to try it out, as the Layla has “flippable firmness” of a flatter, firmer mattress on one side, and a textured, more breathable one on the other. Its copper-infused foam offers a cooling, sanitary experience, the exterior cushion cover is also removable and washable, a huge plus. Throw in free shipping and a one year warranty, and you might not even need the entire 30-night period.
Golden Retrievers tend to love water, but that won’t be a problem with the Wild One bed. It has a handy sweet water-resistant interior liner and a nonslip base, just in case your Golden climbs in post-swim. It also has a nice side rail design for easy access and tiered foam cushioning. There are only two color options for the Wild One, but both the bed design and those colors are nice enough to spruce up any room.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best type of dog bed for a Golden Retriever? Golden Retrievers tend to be more active and adventurous, meaning you will want an easily washable bed. Plus, sturdiness will be an important factor, as Goldens can get restless and may want to play with their bed. Keep an eye out for chew-resistant bedding. Last but not least, if you have a highly active Golden, you will want the orthopedic foam to soothe their tired joints at the end of the day.
- Do orthopedic dog beds really help for Golden Retrievers? Because Golden Retrievers can face hip dysplasia in their older years, it’s important to get a bed with plenty of support, and nothing is more supportive than an orthopedic bed. However, the amount of support, material quality, and sizing range widely among orthopedic beds. Please consult your vet on your Golden’s individual condition with any questions to make sure she receives the best rest possible.
- Do Golden Retrievers need comfy beds? After a long day of play for active breeds like Golden Retrievers, making sure that she gets a healthy night’s sleep is vital to their lifespan and quality of life. If she faces any medical conditions such as hip dysplasia, it becomes even more important, as hard surfaces can place unnecessary stress on your Golden which might result in further damage or sores on their bodies. If your Golden is a more nervous dog, a comfy bed provides a safe haven in which she can be at ease.
- Is memory foam toxic to Golden Retrievers? A popular choice for bedding among both people and animals, memory foam is largely safe for both to just sleep on. However, it should never be ingested, as many memory foam mattresses are made from synthetic ingredients that include polyurethane and added chemicals that are toxic to animals. Some of these chemicals are even thought to be cancer-causing and overall harmful. Therefore, it is your duty as a responsible pet owner to give your Golden Retriever something else to occupy her, whether it is a toy or a safe chew. Also be sure to never leave your Golden unsupervised for long periods with her bed, especially if she is an active chewer. You can also search for orthopedic beds that are specifically toxin-free.
We all want our beloved dogs to be happy and healthy because they’re part of the family! A great night’s sleep is a huge factor in the quality of life for Golden Retrievers. Whether she’s a homebody or a mountain climber, taking the time to figure out what she will appreciate the most can be one of the greatest investments you make in her life.