You love your pit bull. Whether your furry friend is an American Staffordshire Terrier, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, an American Bulldog, an American Pitbull Terrier, or a delightful mix, you know what loving and loyal companions these dogs can be. And, of course, you want the best for your faithful friend.
Pit bulls are energetic animals that live by a “work hard, play hard” philosophy, so it goes without saying that they rest hard, too. When it comes to dog beds, you have many excellent options that will help keep your pet happy and healthy. We’ve compiled our choices for the best pit bull dog beds available below.
What Is The Best Dog Bed For Pit Bulls?
- Best Overall: Puffy Dog Bed
- Best Orthopedic: Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Luxury: ELUX Pet Bed
- Best Chew Proof: Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
- Best Affordable: Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Elevated: Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Best Travel: Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Calming: Best Friends by Sheri, The Original Calming Shag Vegan
- FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow Dog Bed
- Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
- Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
- WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
- Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
- Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
- Wild One Dog Bed
Types of Dog Beds for Pit Bulls
Your choice will come down to finding the best fit for your pit bull’s needs and your lifestyle. Before we get into our top choices, let’s consider the different types of dog beds available for your pup.
- Pillow Beds – These are the quintessential dog beds: a large cushion. These have traditionally been the least expensive and easiest to find dog beds, with the most variety in colors and prints. This is because they are relatively simple and inexpensive to make. Rather than a solid base, they are filled with stuffing or shredded foam.
- Orthopedic Beds – Orthopedic refers to items that support the spine, joints, or body. An effective orthopedic dog bed will react to your pit bull’s movements, and you should not be able to feel the floor through the cushioning. These types of beds are great for senior dogs and dogs with mobility issues, like pit bulls, who are prone to hip dysplasia and knee problems. They can also be very soothing after a long day of running and playing.
- Elevated/Cooling Cots – Pit bulls love running around outside. When it’s time to cool down, an elevated cot is a great option. These beds are a piece of sturdy canvas stretched across a frame, raised a few inches from the ground. They work well outdoors because they don’t collect water and they keep your dog comfortably off the ground, which is more forgiving on the joints. The airflow under the cot and through the breathable canvas keeps your pit bull naturally cool, and some more high-tech options even employ cooling gel inside.
- Heated Beds – Sometimes a heated bed makes more sense. Pit bulls have short fur and love to feel warm. They are also prone to joint problems. There are heated beds and pads that can be plugged in to generate heat for your cold or aching pet. If electric hardware near your pup’s sleep space has you worried, there are other self-warming beds built with heat-amplifying materials that reflect your dog’s body heat back to her quickly.
- Covered Beds – The den instinct remains strong in most dogs, and they often prefer to snuggle up in a covered, safe place. There are several covered options in a wide variety of styles that suit your pit bull’s preferences. Covered dog beds can also use elements of the other styles mentioned in this list, so you can find the one that works best for your dog.
- Sofa Beds – No, this doesn’t mean your couch. These dog beds are an option that provides comfort and support for your pit bull. They include a soft, cushiony base with an attached bolster around three sides, like a couch. This creates a cozy, den-like environment and is a great choice for pit bulls who like to prop their heads up on pillows or who like to snuggle in close. The base on some sofa beds can also be made of orthopedic materials.
5 Key Considerations When Looking for a Pit Bull Dog Bed
- Comfort – If your dog does not feel comfortable in the bed, then she will find somewhere else to nap. If possible, allow your dog to test out beds before you buy. If not, inspect them yourself for features like plushness, and keep your dog’s preferences in mind while making your decision.
- Joint-Friendly – Hip dysplasia affects many pit bulls and they also frequently have problems with their knee joints and ligaments. The fact that they are such strong, energetic, and athletic dogs who always seem to be running, jumping, or playing, means that their risk of injury is high. Whether your pit bull is a senior dog with stiff joints or a younger dog who plays hard, joint health should factor into your dog bed decision. Orthopedic, elevated, or heated beds are ideal, but any bed that is more supportive than the standard filled option will greatly improve how your dog feels.
- Durability – As you know, your pit bull plays hard. If she makes a game of running around the room, using her bed as “base”, that bed better be able to stand up to the challenge. Beds that will be put to work outdoors or in travel situations have to prove sturdy, too. If you don’t want to be replacing your dog’s bed every year, then you need to keep durability in mind when you make your decision.
- Chew Proof – If your dog is a chewer, you need a bed that can stand up to those teeth. Most bargain-bin beds won’t stand a chance. So if you know that your dog has a tendency to munch on anything in her path, look for beds with chew-proof features like strong fabrics, durable zippers, and no frills like piping or sewn-on labels.
- Easy to Clean – Pit bulls can bring in dirt and mud, and dog beds attract dust mites. With dust and dander piling up, a dirty dog bed can quickly affect the air quality in your home, so an easy-to-clean bed is a must. Look for machine-washable beds with easy-zip covers and other easy-to-clean features, like stain-repellent fabrics and sturdy materials.
The Best Dog Beds for Pit Bulls
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Bed for Pit Bulls|
|Puffy Dog Bed
|Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic
|ELUX Dog Bed
|Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
|Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster
|Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
|ChuckIt! Travel Bed
|Best Friends By Sheri, The Original Calming Shag
|FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam
|Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
|Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
|WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
|Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
|Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
|Wild One Dog Bed
- Sturdy materials, scratch-resistant fabric
- Washable cover is easily removable
- Cooling technology
- Sofa-style bolsters offer support and comfort
Best Overall Dog Bed for Pit Bulls – Puffy makes mattresses for humans and they have expanded into the world of dog beds with the aptly-named Puffy Dog Bed. It comes in three sizes and sports a bolster that wraps more than three-fourths of the way around the bed, offering support for sleepy pit bull heads and tight snuggles. We like that it’s so easy to wash and includes a non-slip bottom so your pet’s sleep space isn’t sliding around your home constantly, but we love that they offer a 101-night trial period and lifetime warranty.
What really makes the Puffy Dog Bed stand out are the materials. The bed is made of high-density memory foam that alleviates pressure on your pit bull’s joints and ensures great sleep. Unlike other memory foams, Puffy’s foam is breathable and allows heat to dissipate, creating a cooling effect so your dog can stay comfortably cool. The foam is sturdy enough to stand up to a rigorous playtime, and the fabric is scratch resistant.
- Easy to clean
- Made by a mattress company
- Slip-proof bottom
- Breathable foam creates a cooling effect
- Lifetime warranty & 101-night sleep trial
- Stylish neutral tones fit into your decor
- Some owners prefer to avoid memory foam
- High price
- Base removes easily from bolsters for cleaning
- Stylish and soft reversible pillow with Sherpa and printed twill
- Fluffy pillow over orthopedic foam base
- Four-walls of bolsters provide a cozy place for dogs to rest their heads
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed For Pit Bulls – Frisco creates pet beds with style and comfort in mind. The Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Bed is comprised of two separate pieces – the pillow, and the base with bolsters. One side of the pillow sports patterned twill and the other side is Sherpa, so you can reverse the pillow depending on the temperature or your own style. Because the pieces come apart, cleaning is a breeze, and the whole thing is machine washable and dryer-safe.
The pillow contains polyester filling to provide fluffy comfort and the base is made of foam. The bolsters cover all four sides and are high enough to provide a comfortable cuddle, but not too high to prevent easy stepping. Your pit bull will be very comfortable in this bed in any season.
- Variety of colors and fun prints
- Great option for a low price
- Reversible, removable, and easy to clean
- Combines pillow and orthopedic bed types for max comfort
- Not chew resistant
- Foam layer is a little thin
- LiveSmart technology
- Super soft and warm
- High-quality, human-grade orthopedic foam
- Gel-enhanced cooling
- Machine washable
Best Luxury Dog Bed For Pit Bulls – eLuxury is another mattress company that specializes in high-quality, luxurious mattresses. Their dog beds are made of the same materials that go into their products for humans, so your pit bull will be sleeping on the most luxurious dog bed available.
Their beds come in two varieties. The orthopedic memory foam dog bed uses two thick layers of memory foam – a dense, sturdy layer for the base and a gel-enhanced layer for the top, which promotes cooling. The orthopedic cluster fiber filled bed uses chopped high-density foam inside, which gives a fluffier feeling while still offering support.
The covers are equally luxurious. They are moisture-resistant while still allowing airflow so the foam does not trap heat and your pup will not get too hot. They are also treated with their proprietary LiveSmart technology, which combines performance fabric with a stain- and moisture-repellent finish. The beds are machine washable, too, and boast superior durability and comfort.
- Made in the USA of high-quality materials
- Water- and stain-repellant LiveSmart covers
- Easy to clean
- Thick orthopedic foam supports dog’s joints
- Super comfy
- Higher price point
- Not a lot of color options
- Certipur-US Certified non-toxic memory foam
- Maximum comfort for larger breeds
- Easy to wash
- Sturdy and durable materials
- Small, family business
Best Chew Resistant Dog Bed For Pit Bulls – Bully Beds was founded when the owner needed a truly orthopedic bed for his extra-large dog with hip dysplasia. The thick beds support even the heaviest of dogs and alleviate joint discomfort. They use Certipur-US certified, non-toxic memory foam, which ensures they are safe for your pit bull. Bully Beds is so confident in the sturdiness of their foam that they guarantee the beds for 20 years against flattening or sinking.
What sets the chew resistant bed apart is that it is designed with bully breeds in mind. It comes with an easily-removable, machine-washable cover and features a waterproof inner liner to keep any accidents out of the foam. The cover is cling-resistant microfiber. This tough bed stands up to tenacious chewers, with chewing- and digging-resistant fabric and Kevlar reinforced seams.
- Non-toxic foam
- “No-stink” washable cover
- Chewing resistant
- Made for bully breeds and heavy chewers
- No-squish 20 year warranty
- High price
- Chew-proof warranty is only half a year
- Soft Sherpa fabric
- Fluffy bed with bolsters for great snuggles
- Stylish print options
Most Affordable Dog Bed For Pit Bulls – This is the second Frisco bed to make our list, and with good reason. They make stylish beds for extremely affordable prices. In fact, at this price point, you could put a dog bed in every room!
This bed features bolsters around three sides, creating a comfortable sofa-like sleeping space. Your pit bull will love cuddling up against the fluffy bolsters and using them as a pillow. The exterior is available in a variety of fun prints, and the inside is fluffy Sherpa. This bed is filled with polyester fiber for extra fluffiness. The whole thing is machine washable and dryer-ready for extra convenience.
- Exceptionally affordable
- Soft and fluffy
- Easy to clean
- Limited size options
- Sherpa interior might get hot
- Polyester fiber fill is not very supportive
- Easy to assemble
- Great price
- Sturdy steel frame and
- Strong, water-resistant canvas
- Skid-resistant feet
Best Elevated Dog Bed For Pit Bulls – The Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed is an excellent choice for your pit bull, especially if you intend to keep the bed outdoors. We love that the fabric is breathable, strong, won’t sag, and is water-resistant. Where some other brands use plastic, this bed has a strong steel frame. The non-skid feet keep the bed safe from sliding around when your dog jumps in and out. And it comes in a variety of garden-inspired colors.
You do have to assemble the steel pieces, but it’s an easy task and you’ll have your pit bull’s new bed up and ready for use in a matter of minutes. This model also goes for a lot cheaper than similar models by other brands. This is an affordable choice that is easy on your dog’s joints, maximizes airflow to keep your pup cool, and it works great outdoors and in!
- Perfect for outdoors
- Won’t sag
- Keeps your dog cool
- Easy on the joints
- Great for active pit bulls
- Not soft or fluffy
- Assembly required
- Easy to roll up & comes with travel pouch
- Breathable quick-dry fabric
- Machine washable and dryer-safe
Best Travel Dog Bed For Pit Bulls – The Travel Pillow bed by Chuckit! is a great option for travel, adventure, and the great outdoors. Its oval shape and water-resistant fabric are reminiscent of a sleeping bag, which gives you a hint about how convenient it will be in an outdoor setting.
The bed is soft to the touch and has breathable fabric for quick drying. It comes with its own travel bag and weighs only 1.1 lbs., so if you’re carrying a lot of things it won’t add much weight. When you come home, it’s easy to clean and dry. It is worth pointing out that this bed only comes in one size, and while it fits most dogs, larger pets might find it too small to be comfortable.
- Primed for adventure
- Easy care
- Soft and comfy
- One size fits most dogs
- Not for strong chewers
- Fun and stylish shag cover
- Water-resistant base
- Bolstered on all sides
- Machine washable, dryer safe
Best Calming Dog Bed For Pit Bulls – This super-soft bed from Best Friends by Sheri provides the ultimate in cuddle comfort. Its round doughnut-shaped design creates a safe, den-like enclosure without rigidity. The fuzzy faux fur provides warmth for your pit bull and a little bit of whimsy for your room. The bed is self-heating, filled with thermal fibers to help your pit bull warm up and stay cozy.
We love that the combination of the 360° bolster and the fuzzy shag fabric creates a snuggle-friendly bed that promotes burrowing, while also providing a comfortable headrest. The bed is machine washable and dryer safe and comes in a variety of colors and sizes. The bottom of the bed is made of water-resistant nylon to protect your floors in case of any accidents.
- Easy to wash
- Soft and comfortable
- Keeps your dog warm
- Fosters a calm and safe feeling
- Not very supportive
- Fabric is not water-resistant
7 Other Top Rated Pit Bull Dog Beds
This bed features memory foam on top of medical-grade support foam. This combination supports sore muscles and joints and allows your pet a restful sleep. The low profile makes it easy for senior dogs to get in and out and it will work well inside a crate.
Griffith’s products are made in California from quality materials, including Certipur-US certified foams. The top layer is a responsive memory foam and the bottom layer is a sturdy foam base. These dog beds provide great orthopedic support for your pit bull and include a three-year warranty.
Latex is a highly-breathable alternative to traditional memory foam, which helps keep your dog cool for better sleep. The bed is made of 100% natural materials, from the latex inside to the organic cotton cover. The environmentally-friendly bed will provide your dog with a supported sleep for many years.
This bed combines stylish flair with supportive comfort. The microvelvet cover resists dirt and stains and is machine-washable. The bed is comprised of two pieces – a bolstered base and a pillow cushion – and they zip together to prevent digging and displacing.
This bed is on the smaller side, so if your pit bull is small or a tight snuggler it might be a good fit. The doughnut shape includes a soft middle and a high, fluffy 360° bolster for burrowing and comfort. It features a reversible exterior so you can choose whether your pup needs to warm up or cool down.
This sleek offering from a mattress company is a great pick. The bolstered base creates a cozy border on all four sides and provides a nice headrest. And here’s the cool part: the inside mattress is reversible! Two layers of foam have different firmness levels, so you can flip the mattress over to find your pet’s optimum comfort level. The memory foam is copper-infused to keep the bed cooler and cleaner.
This simply-named bed from Wild One includes low-rise bolsters for a subtler supportive border. Made of human-grade memory foam, it boasts comfort and support for your dog in a range of sizes. Besides its machine-washable cover, it includes a water-resistant interior liner to keep it clean and dry and safe from accidents.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do pit bulls need comfy beds? Pit bulls are part of our families and, just like humans, they prefer a comfortable bed over one that has them waking up stiff. Since pit bull breeds are prone to joint problems, a comfortable bed that alleviates pressure on their joints is the best option.
- What is the best type of dog bed for a pit bull? The exact type of dog bed that works best for your pit bull will depend on several factors. Consider your dog’s needs and your lifestyle to determine which bed will serve your pit bull best while still fitting into your routine. If you need to narrow it down, elevated beds, heated beds, and beds with orthopedic elements are the most likely to alleviate joint stress and keep your dog comfy and healthy.
- Is memory foam toxic to pit bulls? Some memory foams can be toxic to your pet when eaten or inhaled (just think of that noxious smell that comes off a brand new, low-quality memory foam pillow or mattress). Your pit bull is going to spend several hours each day cuddled up in a bed, so choose one that won’t cause her harm. When looking at orthopedic dog beds, it’s important to keep an eye on the materials in the foam. Non-toxic and eco-friendly foams do exist, and American-made beds are more closely regulated.
- Do orthopedic dog beds really help pit bulls? Yes. Pit bull breeds are susceptible to joint problems, so you may find your pit bull stiffening even before she is a senior dog. A good orthopedic bed supports the body and reacts to movement, lessening the stress on bones and joints, which allows your dog to wake up feeling relaxed and less stiff. Look for high-quality orthopedic dog beds. Cheaper foams may flatten out and create pressure points, sink too deeply and make it difficult for your dog to move, or trap moisture and heat in an unhealthy way.
We know you want to provide your dog with everything she needs. There are so many options out there that it’s hard to know which will be the best dog bed for your pit bull. It’s important to find a bed that is comfortable, easy on the joints, durable, chew-proof, and easy to clean. Of course, your style and budget will have some influence, too. If your budget allows, looking for orthopedic beds made of high-quality materials will be your best bet. Any of the beds on our list will make a great choice and give your dog years of supported, comfortable sleep, which is why we think they are the best dog beds for pit bulls.