Dog beds are important to your Pug for a variety of reasons. For one, they provide a safe space for your pup that they can nestle down in and feel comfortable. When it comes to sleep, a comfortable sleeping service is very important to dogs and allows them to take longer naps, and sleep longer during the night (and the morning).
That said, dog beds can come in lots of sizes, durabilities, and shapes, while also having features that cater to light sleepers, chewers, and even dogs that overheat. There are several characteristics to consider when selecting a dog bed, and in this guide, we will discuss them as well as our best recommendations from our intensive product research and analysis.
What Is The Best Dog Bed For Pugs?
- Best Overall: Puffy Dog Bed
- Best Orthopedic: Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Luxury: ELUX Pet Bed
- Best Chew Proof: Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
- Best Affordable: Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Elevated: Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Best Travel: Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Calming: Best Friends by Sheri, The Original Calming Shag Vegan
- FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow Dog Bed
- Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
- Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
- WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
- Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
- Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
- Wild One Dog Bed
Types of Dog Beds For Pugs
- Orthopedic – Orthopedic dog beds are made with high-quality memory foam and are designed to provide superior comfort while alleviating problems with aches and pains. As such, orthopedic dog beds are best for aging pugs, as well as pugs with chronic conditions like hip injuries, arthritis, and even pups that tend to toss and turn. Some owners even buy orthopedic beds just so their pooch enjoys the most supportive bed possible.
- Pillow Beds – Pillow dog beds are best for dogs that like to stretch out when they sleep. If your pug likes to lay flat with legs stretched, a bed with walls may not be his preference. Instead, a pillow dog bed is puffy and flat like a pillow, with no defined edges or walls, unlike a traditional dog bed. The best pillow dog beds will come in multiple sizes, and the best dog pillow for a pug will be small or medium-sized.
- Elevated/Cooling- Elevated dog beds are dog beds with a strong metal or steel frame that has an elevated resting area made from polyester, vinyl, or other sturdy fabrics. Dogs can saunter into these beds without having to bend their legs and overstress older joints. While these benefits apply to older dogs, it’s also great for pugs that like to keep cool, and don’t want to overheat from thick microfibers and cloths. Elevated beds are also usually easy to clean, and due to their elevation, they also are not as likely to be subjected to dirt or debris from the ground.
- Heated- For dogs like pugs that lose heat quickly due to their short hair, heated dog beds can be great in the winter for your pup. For these dog beds, they will have an electrical element that plugs into an outlet to heat the bed. Note that for these dog beds, quality is very important and you should always check the wires on the heating element to make sure they are free of cracks or any fraying. To be a super dog parent, also consider using the bed yourself, just to be sure the bed does not reach unexpected temperatures.
- Covered – An interesting type of dog bed is a covered dog bed, as these beds are designed to appeal to your pug’s distant, but ever-present, animal instincts. In the wilderness, wild dogs will build enclosed nests or rest in caves so they can feel secure while sleeping. Based on this instinct, covered dog beds are shaped like plush caves where your pug can hunker down and feel safe with a plush roof over their head and walls on all sides.
- Sofa – Dog Sofas and dog couches are a fun spin on dog beds where the bed resembles a miniature couch with a raised back and arms and then a cushion in the center. These dog beds can add a fun aspect to home decor and still be a comfortable place for your pug to snooze.
5 Key Considerations When Looking For A Pug Dog Bed
- Shape – Round Dog Beds: If your dog likes to curl up when they sleep or spend time circling the floor before plopping down for a nap, a circular bed is likely the best pick for your pup. Rectangular Dog Beds: Alternatively, you should choose a rectangular-shaped dog bed for your pug if they like to sprawl one side. Rectangular beds are also a good pick for older dogs, as the process of curling up tightly may be more difficult for aged joints and muscles.
- Age – Don’t forget age, along with any health issues your dog has. If you have a senior dog or if your pup has arthritis or other bone and joint issues, you’ll want an orthopedic dog bed to provide additional support. Standard dog beds can exacerbate health problems for older or injured dogs.
- Chewers – Along with the shape and cushioning of the bed, it may also be important to look into whether a bed boasts being chew proof. Chew proof beds will usually have a ripstop weave that prevents the fabric from tearing under tough abuse. The best chew-proof beds will also avoid zippers as hardcore chewers can remove zippers and attempt to swallow them.
- Cleaning – If your pug loves to run around the yard and consistently tracks in dirt, or if your pup likes to take his food or treats and chomp away while safe in their dog bed, then how easily the dog bed can be cleaned becomes extremely important. Regarding cleaning, you should look for dog beds that have a removable cover. Additionally, the best beds will not only allow the cover to be removed but also state that the cover is machine washable.
- Human Beds – Your dog wanting to sleep in your bed is not itself a bad thing. However, letting your dog sleep in your bed may reinforce anxiety and behavior problems, and potentially put you at risk of health problems. One consideration is whether allowing your dog to sleep in your bed is sending mixed messages about your “status” within “the pack”. Additionally, if you are an allergy sufferer, allowing your dog to sleep in your bed can worsen your allergy symptoms as dogs can track in dirt, pollen, and grass in their fur. This debris is brought into your bed and can aggravate allergies throughout the night. The best compromise is to select a nice place in the bedroom and give your dog a bed of their own.
Best Overall Dog Beds For Pugs
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Bed for Pugs|
|Puffy Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic ||CHECK PRICE|
|ELUX Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|ChuckIt! Travel Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Friends By Sheri, The Original Calming Shag ||CHECK PRICE|
|FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam ||CHECK PRICE|
|Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress ||CHECK PRICE|
|WFH High Memory Fiber Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Wild One Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
- Sturdy high-density 100% memory foam base with a lifetime warranty
- Removable cover that you simply unzip and throw in the washing machine
- Studded non-slip fabric bottom
- Soft sidewall for safe and sound sleep
- Anti-tear and scratch-resistant cover
Best Overall Dog Bed For Pugs – The Puffy Dog Bed comes with all the bells and whistles we look for in a dog bed. It has a soft and supportive memory foam base that benefits the joints of older pups, while also being extra comfy for younger pugs. This bed is also wrapped in a scratch-resistant cover with a lifetime warranty, which means it is built to last and can take a beating from even the most rambunctious canines. To add to that, even if your pug likes to dive into bed, this dog bed has a studded underside, which will grip the floor so the bed stays where you want it. Once the sleep is done, and it’s time to clean, this dog bed provides an easily removed cover that cannot only be cleaned but is thankfully machine washable for a fast turnaround.
- Memory Foam
- Removable machine washable cover
- Anti Slip bottom
- Tear and scratch-resistant
- Lifetime Warranty
- Comes in three sizes, but no extra small
- Extremely cozy and soft, giving your pet the ultimate slumber.
- Modern design with sky tones that will complement the décor of any home.
- Double-sided cushion has a polyester fiber filling with soft cloud Sherpa on one side and a geometric twill print on the other.
- Foam base provides orthopedic support, and the fluffy bolster edges make the perfect headrest.
- Machine washable for easy cleaning and care.
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed For Pugs – This orthopedic dog bed is great for any pug that needs a little extra support. The inside of the bed has orthopedic foam that will provide the right support for your pug, while the cushion design allows your pet to rest its head on the soft bolsters along the perimeter of the bed. It’s also machine washable for easy cleaning, and the cushion is removable so it can act as a pillow dog bed if you want a smaller sleep area for your pug during daytime naps.
- Orthopedic Foam
- Machine washable
- Extra Soft Sherpa Fabric
- Walls are a bit tall for smaller puppies
- Smallest bed size is medium
- Innovative chemistry that repels water, stains, and moisture.
- Orthopedic gel enhanced memory foam
- Fully removable and washable cover.
- LiveSmart woven technology that protects your fabrics.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
Best Luxury Dog Bed For Pugs – For true luxury for your pug the Elux Pet Bed has you covered. With an impressive two-layer memory foam filling, this dog bed not only provides orthopedic support but also includes a stiffer and softer side so you can cater to your dog’s preferences. Plus, this luxury dog bed comes with a specialized fabric called LiveSmart that offers unmatched durability and longevity. LiveSmart fabrics are produced exclusively with performance yarns that are encapsulated with a stain-repellent and moisture-repellent finish for exceptional cleanability. So not only will this dog bed be extra comfy for your pup, but it will also last for years.
- Orthopedic Memory Foam
- Stain and moisture protection
- Machine washable
- Specialized durability
- Multiple colors
- No bolster bed option
- No option for extra small dog bed for young pups
- 200 Day Chew Warranty and replacement
- Orthopedic foam
- Kevlar reinforced seams
- Foam is free of PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP (“Tris”) flame retardants, mercury, lead, heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates, CFC’s
- Heavy-duty velcro closure, with no zippers
- Removable and washable cover
Best Chew Resistant Dog Bed For Pugs – For your ravenous chewer, the Bully bed is a great option for dog bed longevity and canine health. It sports impressive Kevlar reinforced seams with specialized tear-resistant technology to keep the dog bed intact. It also has important “just in case” features like a non-toxic filling, so even if your pug somehow rips through the cover, any ingested filing won’t get the pup sick. To add to that, the bed also doesn’t have any metallic zippers, which are always indigestible for dogs and can send you both to the vet. That said, this heavy-duty dog bed is still cleanable, and uses velcro to allow for a removable and washable cover.
- Non-Toxic Orthopedic Foam
- Washable Cover
- No Zippers
- Waterproof Liner
- Chew Warranty
- Smallest bed size is medium
- Only two colors
- Extremely cozy and soft sherpa fabric.
- Snug rectangular-shaped pet bed with bolsters for head resting.
- Ultra-soft filling from polyester fiber for maximum comfort.
- Easy cleaning and machine washable
Most Affordable Dog Bed For Pugs – This dog bed has a great focus on softness and caters to dogs that like to plop into bed with their heads resting on a raised edge to keep a lookout. The filling may not be memory foam, but it is still quite soft and would be enjoyable for healthy pugs. After your pug has finished its naps, if the bed needs to be cleaned, the whole dog bed can be washed in the washing machine.
- Soft Bolster Headrest
- Machine washable
- Soft Sherpa Fabric
- No orthopedic foam
- No removable cover, though the full bed is machine washable
- Smallest bed size is medium
- Sturdy powder-coated steel frame.
- Durable PVC-coated fabric that’s breathable, but provides an added level of comfort and support.
- Usable on various surfaces, indoors or outside, with skid-resistant feet.
- Quick and easy assembly
Best Elevated Dog Bed For Pugs – The Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed is a great choice for a variety of dogs. Its elevation makes it easy for older dogs to flop in without bending their joints, while overheated dogs can enjoy above and below airflow. The PVC coated fabric is strong enough to prevent sagging from the heaviest pug, and the fabric coatings allow for an easy water sprayed clean. This elevated dog bed also has quality steel construction so it is built to last, which is critical when your pet is trying to rest while suspended above the ground. For additional safety, the frame also boasts four skid-resistant feet, which comes in handy when you use these beds indoors.
- Strong Frame
- Durable Fabric
- Easy Assembly and Disassembly
- Fabric is Machine Washable
- Bed’s Weight is 8 pounds
- Not Recommended for Crates
- Soft to touch, quality construction.
- Portable with included stuff sack
- Machine washable and breathable for quick dry-out.
Best Travel Dog Bed For Pugs – This travel dog bed has a great design that makes things easy and manageable on long trips with your pug. It comes with its own travel bag for portability and can be indoors and outdoors depending on the day’s activities. Once you reach your destination, you simply pop it out of its bag and it’s ready for dog naps. Since this dog bed can be used outdoors, it’s also great to see that it can be quickly and easily machine washed, so there are no concerns about fighting mud or grass stains.
- Indoor and Outdoor Use
- Machine washable
- Easily Portable
- Can be used for Camping
- Only One Size, but Fine for Pugs
- Only One Color Choice
- Soft faux shag fur keeps your furry friend warm and cozy on cold nights
- Water-resistant nylon bottom keeps your floors safe in case of an accident.
- Extra filling provides relief from joint and muscle pain
- Round-shape great for pugs that like to curl up
- Raised edges for burrowing and head support
- Machine washable and dryer-safe
Best Calming Dog Bed for Pugs – A calming dog bed is designed to keep your pet warm, cozy, comfortable, and secure. The Best Friends Donut Cuddler accomplishes all of these tasks and does so while looking good. Covered in super-soft shag fur, this dog bed makes sure your pug stays toasty by including a specialized insulation layer that radiates warmth by circulating your pet’s body heat. The Donut Coddler also has a round bed design with bolsters; so, your pet can curl up on their bed, and still feel hugged by the soft walls of the Cuddler.
- Multiple sizes and colors
- Self Heating
- Machine washable
- Bolsters for head resting
- Round shape may not be best for dogs that like to stretch out.
7 Other Top Rated Pug Dog Beds
This is another great choice for a pug dog bed. It comes with quality memory foam and is covered in nice silky-soft faux fur and a durable oxford poly canvas. This deluxe memory foam is great for dogs that need relief from painful muscles and joint discomfort while encouraging longer, more restful sleep.
This is a high-quality dog bed that is great for pugs. It uses premium CertiPUR-US certified foams including a top layer of high-density memory foam and another thicker orthopedic foam layer for support. It also sports a removable quilted cover that can be washed, and under the cover is a reliable waterproof liner. This high-quality dog bed comes in three colors and four different sizes.
This is a really interesting dog bed that I’m glad we can fit on the list. This dog bed uses a three-inch thick latex mattress instead of standard foams. Latex mattresses have a host of benefits including being highly breathable to prevent overheating, qualifying as a hypoallergenic material that is great for humans and dogs with persistent allergies, and highly durable so they last longer and won’t shrink down from repeated wear.
The Work From Home High Memory Fiber Bed is a high-quality dog bed that uses a specialized microvelvet fabric and a dual-layer cushion. It’s a two-piece bed, but the cushion can also be secured by a zipper so your pug won’t walk off with it for play. The bed has a machine washable cover, but the upholstery grade fabric is already designed to repel dirt and the occasional spill.
The Dream Chaser is a nice and cozy donut dog bed. The tight circular bed will keep your pup comfortable and secure and is designed for pug sized dogs that love nesting and curling up. This dog bed also has a reversible exterior for custom temperature comfort, as one side is cool, and one side is for warmth. Thankfully, even with these features, the bed is machine washable for easy cleanup.
The Layla Dog Bed is a unique dog bed that opts for a copper-infused mattress. Some believe this type of mattress is cooler, more sanitary, and feels more comfortable than traditional memory foam. The unique mattress in the Layla Dog Bed is also flippable with two comfort options to make all pugs happy. On one side is a flat surface with a firmer feel. The other side has a textured surface for a softer feel and more airflow. Even with the unique copper mattress, this dog bed is still machine washable and highly durable.
This dog bed offers a double-tiered human-grade memory foam that provides comfort and support. The bed’s cover is also machine washable and includes a water-resistant interior liner. The cover also boasts a layered poly-weave cover for quality durability. Wild One is also a great company, and even contributes a portion of its proceeds from every purchase to sponsor the rescue of a pet every week.
Freqently Asked Questions
- What is the best type of dog bed for a pug? The best bed for a pug will have a quality memory foam for proper canine support, as well as bolster walls that allow your pug to rest his head for proper sleep position.
- Do orthopedic dog beds really help pugs? Pugs definitely benefit from orthopedic foam dog beds. While not as heavy as larger breeds, pugs still benefit from the joint support and temperature control that authentic orthopedic dog beds provide.
- Do pugs need comfy beds? Comfort is especially important for pug dog beds. As a brachycephalic breed, pugs sometimes have difficulty sleeping and breathing quietly. Some owners report that this condition can cause pugs to wake themselves during the night and potentially be unable to return to sleep, choosing instead to not so quietly roam the house. Having an extra comfy bed can help pugs with these issues, and assist them in falling back asleep quickly.
- Is memory foam toxic to pugs? No, memory foam is not toxic to pugs. Normally it should just pass through their digestive system if they end up chewing it. If a pug has trouble passing it consider adding bran to their meals or offering pieces of a bran muffin as a treat.