Yorkshire Terriers or ‘Yorkies’ are one of the most popular breeds of dogs around. With their cute, intelligent faces and their quirky behavior, these loveable bundles of energy make great family pets.
If you already own one of these beautiful dogs, I’m sure that you want to give them the very best of everything to keep them happy and healthy. One important thing they will need is a nice comfortable bed.
However, with so many different types of beds around, it can be confusing and challenging to make the right choice. Here we will provide some details on the sorts of beds available, address some frequently asked questions, and include the information of some of the very best dog beds for Yorkies currently on the market.
What is the Best Dog Bed for Yorkies?
- Best Overall: Puffy Dog Bed
- Best Orthopedic: Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Luxury: ELUX Pet Bed
- Best Chew Proof: Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
- Best Affordable: Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Elevated: Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Best Travel: Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Calming: Best Friends by Sheri, The Original Calming Shag Vegan
- FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow Dog Bed
- Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
- Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
- WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
- Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
- Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
6 Different Types of Dog Beds for Yorkies
- Orthopedic Beds – Orthopedic beds make use of a specially designed mattress to provide support for your canine friend’s bones, joints, and muscles. This is a great choice for older dogs who may suffer the same kinds of aches and pains that people do as they get older.
- Pillow Beds – Pillow beds are simple-style beds that are essentially just large cushions for your pup to enjoy sprawling out on. They come in a variety of dimensions, thicknesses, and materials to perfectly suit any size and breed of dog.
- Elevated/Cooling Beds – Elevated beds are ones that are raised up on a short frame above the ground. These are great for use outdoors as well as indoors and are perfect for helping your hound cool down in the summer as they allow air to circulate beneath the bed.
- Heated Beds – Heated beds, as the name suggests, are beds that make use of special insulation or heating devices to keep your pooch cozy all through those long, cold winter nights. These types of beds are also great for soothing aching joints and preventing stiffness in older dogs.
- Covered Beds – Covered beds come in a range of different styles, but they primarily include some kind of covering, be it an attached blanket or a teepee-style canopy. These types of beds can be especially useful for nervous or young dogs, providing them with a feeling of safety and security.
- Sofa Beds – Sofa beds are constructed in a couch-like shape with raised sides or bolsters surrounding a cushion center. These beds work well for dogs who like to lean against something for comfort or rest their head on a pillow while sleeping.
5 Key Considerations When Looking for a Yorkie Dog Bed
- Does my dog really need a bed? Many dogs sleep for around twelve hours a day, and they need to have a comfy spot to do this. Consistently sleeping on the floor can be damaging to their health, causing pain in their muscles and joints. A dog bed also gives your pal a place of their very own to help them feel happier and more secure and settled in your home.
- How big does the bed need to be? Even the largest of Yorkies weighs no more than seven or eight pounds when fully grown. This means that they are considered to be a petit or small breed, so, chances are, the smallest bed options will likely be the most suitable for them. However, do take note of their measurements when selecting a bed just to be on the safe side.
- Which shape bed should I opt for? Dog beds are available in a range of different shapes as well as sizes. The one that you choose should ultimately be based on your pet’s individual needs. For nervous dogs or curled up sleepers, bolsters provide security, and for ones who like to sprawl, pillow beds give them the space that they need to do this.
- What is the best material for the bed? When considering the material, you need to think about the specific functions that are required, e.g., to provide warmth or cooling. Faux fur and suede are comfy and cozy, whereas synthetic fibers are water-resistant and easy to clean. Whichever you opt for, a removable cover is your best bet for ease of care and maintenance.
- Which is the most comfortable type of filling? Again there is a multitude of options for fillings, both natural and synthetic. They each have their own pros and cons. A good rule of thumb is to select a soft or loose one for a younger pooch so they can shape it to their contours or burrow in snugly, and a firmer foam mattress to provide substantial support for an older pet.
Best Overall Dog Beds for Yorkies
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Bed for Yorkies|
|Puffy Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic ||CHECK PRICE|
|ELUX Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|ChuckIt! Travel Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Friends By Sheri, The Original Calming Shag ||CHECK PRICE|
|FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam ||CHECK PRICE|
|Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress ||CHECK PRICE|
|WFH High Memory Fiber Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
|Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed ||CHECK PRICE|
- Comfortable yet durable
- Pressure-relieving foam
- Removable cover
- Nonslip fabric
Best Overall Dog Bed For Yorkies – An excellent choice for your Yorkshire Terrier, this carefully constructed bolster bed has been designed with ultimate comfort in mind. The high-density memory foam base is perfect for releasing weight pressure and gently supporting swift movements making it ideal for your furry friend.
In addition, the soft and supportive sidewalls are great for cushioning your pup’s head and for creating a secure barrier for them to snuggle up against for a safe and restful slumber.
Furthermore, the scratch-resistant 100% polyester microfiber fabric is durable and easily able to withstand wear and tear. Then, whenever needed, it can be removed and thrown in the washing machine so as to keep your pet’s bed hygienically clean and smelling fresh.
- Sturdy and well made
- Nice, smooth touch
- Well sized for small, medium and large dogs
- Easy to keep clean
- Doesn’t retain heat
- Cozy and soft
- Removable cushion
- Foam base for orthopedic support
- Machine washable
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed For Yorkies – For older dogs or ones with mobility issues, the Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Bed provides firm yet comfortable support for a relaxing night’s sleep. The chenille jacquard covered supports on each side of the bed allow your pup to feel really cozy and snug.
This two-piece bed is incredibly versatile to meet your dog’s specific preferences. The removable cushion features a soft cloud Sherpa on one side, and a sky-tone, geometric twill print on the other.
Both the bolster and the removable cushion are filled with fluffy polyester fiber. Underneath is a convoluted foam base that provides orthopedic support anytime your pet snuggles up inside. The bed is entirely machine washable to allow for easy cleaning and care.
- Plush and comfortable
- Two beds in one
- Not good for chewers
- Extra plush
- Memory foam cushion
- Extremely durable
- Stain and moisture resistant
Best Luxury Dog Bed For Yorkies – To give your Yorkie a little touch of luxury, you might consider the Elux Pet Bed. It combines function with fashion with its sleek and soft exterior and its orthopedic gel enhanced memory foam interior.
The pillow itself has been crafted using lower denier performance yarns that combine with LiveSmart technology, making the bed both moisture and stain resistant. These allow air to flow freely for an enhanced cooling effect.
Moreover, the flat pillow-like shape is excellent for dogs who enjoy having the freedom to really stretch out yet remain comfortable and cozy during their naps. The simple, elegant design will complement any room.
- Thick and supportive
- Constructed from high-quality materials
- Easy to maintain
- No bolsters for a secure feeling
- Doesn’t retain warmth
- Heavy-duty, chew-resistant fastenings
- Orthopedic foam
- Removable and washable covers
- Hypoallergenic materials
Best Chew Resistant Dog Bed For Yorkies – Perfect for the needle-sharp teeth, biting, and digging younger Yorkies, Bully Bed’s Chew Resistant Dog Bed has been constructed using Proprietary BullyTuf cover material. This is specially designed for its sturdy chewing and clawing resistance.
Additionally, the seams of this pillow are Kevlar reinforced, and the fastenings have been similarly strengthened. This means that you won’t have any problems with rips and tears there either. This is a very sturdy bed!
However, functionality doesn’t replace comfort. The 4 to 5-inch thick cushion is non-toxic, water-resistant foam allowing your pooch to settle down into a comfortable snooze after all that energetic playing.
- Excellent craftsmanship
- Very comfortable
- Easy to clean
- Higher priced than alternatives
- Cozy and comfortable
- Stylish design
- Ultra-soft filling
- Machine washable
Most Affordable Dog Bed For Yorkies – If you’re looking for an affordable option, you can’t go wrong with the Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Bed. This reasonably priced cushion bed with sides is perfect for your little pal to snuggle up and keep warm while feeling both safe and secure.
This super snug bed features a cozy cloud Sherpa sleeping area on the inside and a stylish printed twill pattern on the outside that will look good in any room. The fluffy polyester fiber filling provides a comfortable base for your pet to snooze on.
The soft stuffed bolster edges and deep sides also make for a perfect headrest if that’s how your dog likes to sleep best. Also, the bed is completely machine washable, so it can be kept clean and smelling great.
- Great price
- Good size for spreading out
- Soft and fluffy
- Difficult to clean
- Less durable than others
- Sturdy steel frame
- Durable fabric
- Skid-resistant for extra stability
- Quick and easy assemble
Best Elevated Dog Bed For Yorkies – A perfect resting spot that is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use, this elevated bed is particularly handy in warm climates or during the summer. The increased air circulation and breathable material will help to keep your pooch feeling cool on the hottest of days.
The tightness of the fabric provides a stable spot for your pal to slumber. At the same time, the skid-resistant frame means that the bed won’t move around when they are either getting in or getting out of it.
Both the frame and the material are easy to wipe down and keep clean, so you won’t be worried about your dog using it to get a little rest directly after even the muddiest of walks.
- Substantial structure
- Spacious for stretching out
- Dirt and mud hoses right off
- Gets hot when left in direct sunlight
- Fully portable
- Soft to the touch
- Quality construction
- Machine washable
Best Travel Dog Bed For Yorkies – Great for those who spend a lot of time on the road with their pets, be it hiking, driving, or camping, the Travel Pillow Dog Bed is fully portable, being easy to roll up and stash in the included bag.
This one-size-fits-all bed is soft to the touch and provides an extremely comfortable resting spot for your pooch in your tent, RV, or even in the back of your car. Here it can be used to make your furry friend feel instantly at home while protecting your seats from hair.
The quality materials mean that it is suitable for machine washing, and the breathable fabric enables it to dry completely in no time at all. All of which will make your life much easier when on the go.
- Easy to wipe down
- Compact storage
- Not very thick
- Soft and warm
- Water-resistant bottom
- Orthopedic support
Best Calming Dog Bed For Yorkies – If your Yorkie is a little skittish, this faux shag fur might be the best buy for you. The cozy donut shape allows your fur baby to burrow down deep, and the raised edges can help them feel secure for a calm and peaceful sleep.
This bed is also great for use in colder climates, due to the thickness of the shag and the unique insulation layer. The latter traps and then radiates your dog’s own body heat, keeping them toasty all night long.
Then, if the bed does start to get a little smelly, you can chuck it in the washing machine without worrying about damage. The bed is also safe to use in the dryer, making it an incredibly convenient purchase.
- Nicely padded
- Adjustable cushion
- Good for nervous dogs
- No removable cover
6 Other Top-Rated Yorkie Dog Beds
This ultra-plush, memory foam pillow bed uses medical-grade polyurethane to ensure that your pup is supported in all the right places and provide relief from joint and muscle pain.
The durable yet silky, soft exterior is perfect for canines that like to be snuggly warm while napping, and the low-rise design makes it easier for older dogs to get in and out.
Constructed from high quality, non-toxic materials, the Griffith Pet Bed provides your pooch with a lovely place to comfortably sprawl out. The bed has an easily removable cover so you can keep it looking clean and smelling fresh.
As well as this, this pillow bed provides great orthopedic support for older dogs with arthritis or stiffness. It features high-density memory foam, which provides a sturdy yet cushioned base to prevent any aches and pains.
Highly breathable latex is an excellent material to use for a dog bed. Its breathability can stop your pet from overheating, while the cushiony surface provides comfortable support.
Aside from that, latex is hypoallergenic, making it the perfect choice if your pet suffers from any allergies. Moreover, the outer organic cotton cover can be easily removed for cleaning.
This luxury bed has been created to allow for the optimum sleeping experience for your pet. The outer layer consists of super-soft, superior quality microvelvet fabric, and the cushion is high memory fiber for superior resiliency and comfort.
The beautiful bolstered design allows for a comfortable experience for your pooch whether they are looking to curl up in the corner or rest their head on the side. The removable cushion is zippered to keep it nicely in place while in use.
Mindfully made to keep your pup snug and secure, this donut-shaped bed is great for dogs who love nesting and curling up in their sleep. The bed is machine washable and super easy to dry.
Furthermore, the special design of the bed means that it offers custom temperature comfort. The reversible exterior makes it suitable for both colder and warmer environments depending on which side is used.
This simple bed offers tiered foam for comfort and side rails for snuggling so your dog can dream in peace. Additionally, the water-resistant lining and layered poly-weave cover make it both practical and durable.
The firm but comfortable mattress provides the best kind of support for your pal, and the outer layer is easy to clean so you can keep the bed beautifully fresh and hygienic.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best type of dog bed for a Yorkie? The best type of bed for your Yorkie will largely be dependent on their character, age, and sleeping style, as well as the environment they will be sleeping in. Little dogs have a tendency to lose body heat quickly, so your Yorkie will appreciate a covered, sofa, or even heated bed in a cooler room. Older pups will do better with an orthopedic design, which will support their bones and help to relieve aches and pains. In a warm climate, a pillow or elevated bed might work best so that your pooch can happily sprawl in their bed without overheating.
- Do orthopedic dog beds really help Yorkies? While your young pup may be healthy and happy with just a regular bed, your aging Yorkie may need something a little more supportive. This is particularly important because purebred Yorkies can have genetic issues, especially in their joints and bones late in life. An orthopedic bed can be incredibly useful for easing any discomfort your dog may feel when getting up or lying down to help reduce symptoms of osteoarthritis. In addition, these beds are styled so as to be easy for older dogs to get in and out of.
- Do Yorkies need comfy beds? Yorkies are feisty little dogs, they love running around and playing with their toys. All this activity means that they sleep very deeply and should have a great place to do that. As with people, all dogs benefit from having a nice comfy bed. It helps to improve their sleep quality, their health, and their happiness and can also prevent later issues with bone and joint pain. Is memory foam toxic to Yorkies? When selecting the perfect bed for your pet, you will want to be careful in making sure that they include no substances which may be harmful to your pet’s health. Generally, memory foam is not toxic to Yorkies as long as it is of good quality. However, some of the cheaper foam beds on the market may have been constructed using toxins that could harm your pet.
When purchasing a bed, take care to carefully check the details of the materials. These should be listed on the site you are buying from. A good way to ensure that the foam has been quality checked is to look for CertiPUR-US® certification. All in all, Yorkies are lovely little dogs that will benefit greatly from having access to a nice, comfy bed all of their own. While there are many different options available, take cues about which one to buy from the age of your dog and how they sleep.
Orthopedic cushions are great for dogs of all ages, but particularly elderly ones. If your dog likes to curl up in a little ball for warmth than a donut bed might be the best choice. Elevated and travel beds are great for use outdoors and on the road.
So whatever you and your dog’s requirements, there is the right kind of bed out there to suit both of you. Get your pup a bed that they love, and they will certainly thank you for it through their continued health, happiness, and loving nature.