- What is the Best Dog Bed for Shiba Inus?
- 6 Different Types Of Dog Beds For Shiba Inus
- 5 Key Considerations When Looking For A Shiba Inu Dog Bed
- Overall Best Dog Bed For Shiba Inus
- Puffy Dog Bed
- Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- ELUX Pet Bed
- Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
- Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Friends by Sheri, The Original Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler Cat & Dog Bed
- 7 Other Top Rated Shiba Inu Dog Beds
- Frequently Asked Questions
Finding the best dog bed for your Shiba Inu should be at the top of your priority list. Just like us, our furry friends need their own comfortable beds to sleep on – it’s not like you can just let your dog sleep on the floor!
While it may seem like a pretty straightforward task, there are lots of different types of Shiba Inu dog beds available on the market. Some are just regular old beds, while others have been designed to suit the specific needs of both the dog and the owner.
With all these choices, deciding on the exact type of bed you should get for your Shiba Inu can be a bit difficult. Since Shiba Inus are a quite high maintenance dog breed, you’ll need to consider all the different needs they may have, including health problems and particular temperaments. That’s why we’ve put together this helpful guide to some of the best Shiba Inu dog beds you can buy!
What is the Best Dog Bed for Shiba Inus?
- Best Overall: Puffy Dog Bed
- Best Orthopedic: Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Luxury: ELUX Pet Bed
- Best Chew Proof: Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed
- Best Affordable: Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Best Elevated: Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed
- Best Travel: Chuckit! Travel Pillow Dog Bed
- Best Calming: Best Friends by Sheri, The Original Calming Shag Vegan
- FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow Dog Bed
- Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed
- Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress
- WFH High Memory Fiber Bed
- Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed
- Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed
- Wild One Dog Bed
6 Different Types Of Dog Beds For Shiba Inus
- Orthopedic Beds: Orthopedic dog beds are specially designed to support your dog’s joints, back, and overall body. Since Shiba Inus are particularly prone to having joint problems, and it’s very common for these dogs to develop arthritis, you should definitely consider purchasing an orthopedic bed to reduce their discomfort as much as possible.
- Pillow Beds: If your dog likes comfort, then they’ll love a pillow bed! This is probably the most common type of dog bed you’ll find on the market, and for good reason – they’re relatively cheap, super comfortable, and can easily be folded away or stored somewhere during the day if you don’t have much floor space.
- Elevated/Cooling Beds: An elevated bed will lift your dog off the floor, which will allow them to stay at a comfortable temperature while they sleep – hence them being known as cooling beds. These beds provide a lot of firm support that regular pillow beds may not, which makes them a great option for older or larger dogs who may need that extra support.
- Heated Beds: Heated dog beds help to keep your furry friend warm during the night, making them particularly useful for people living in colder climates. They heat up to a safe temperature and stay like that for the duration of the night, so no need to worry about checking up on your dog as it sleeps!
- Covered Beds: As the name suggests, covered dog beds come with a little roof over your dog’s head. They’re great for Shiba Inus as they tend to be quite shy, and a covered bed will give them a little privacy for when things get too overwhelming for them. They’re also great in households with multiple animals as, again, they provide a little private space for your dog to get away from the other animals when it needs to.
- Sofa Beds: Sofa beds are like a better version of pillow beds. They provide the same levels of comfort with an added bit of firm support because of a firmer mattress. They’re great for medium dogs like Shiba Inus as they give them enough space for both sleeping and collecting toys!
5 Key Considerations When Looking For A Shiba Inu Dog Bed
As we mentioned before, Shiba Inus are a quite high maintenance dog breed, so they’ll have quite particular needs that you will need to meet when getting them a dog bed; they’re extremely temperamental and picky, so if they don’t like their bed, they’ll outright refuse to even come near it. Below are just a handful of things you’ll need to consider when getting a Shiba Inu dog bed.
- Size: While most Shiba Inus are considered to be medium sized dogs, their sizes do still vary. You’ll need to buy a dog bed that is big enough to comfortable fit your dog, but also isn’t too large for them – dog beds won’t support your dog’s weight as they should if the dog bed is too big. If you have a Shiba Inu puppy, you’ll need to keep in mind that you’ll have to replace their dog bed at least once or twice as thy grow.
- Nesting: Some dogs absolutely love to make themselves a little nest out of their dog beds, and Shiba Inus are no different. If you find that your dog seems to love wriggling their way under the bottom cushion of their bed, consider purchasing a completely flat bed without removable cushions, and supplying them with some doggy blankets to nest under instead.
- Sides: This may seem like a very minor detail but having or not having sides can really make or break a dog bed when it comes to Shiba Inus. If your Shiba Inu prefers to sleep curled up, it will probably like a bed with sides better, as they will give your dog an added sense of protection. If you find your dog sleeping sprawled out and taking up as much space as possible, it’ll definitely prefer a flat bed with no sides.
- Fitting in a crate: Shiba Inus often need some form of crate training, as they can get quite serious separation anxiety. Having their bed in the crate can help calm them down, so you’ll need to seriously consider purchasing a dog bed that fits properly.
- Washability: Accidents happen. Your Shiba Inu may get too excited when they come home from a muddy walk and jump straight into their bed, getting it all dirty. Or they may not be fully potty trained yet. The point is, you’ll probably need something that’s easy to wash, especially if you have a younger dog in your house that’s full of energy.
Overall Best Dog Bed For Shiba Inus
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Bed for Shiba Inus|
|Puffy Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic||CHECK PRICE|
|ELUX Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Bully Beds Chew Resistant Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sherpa Rectangular Bolster||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|ChuckIt! Travel Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Best Friends By Sheri, The Original Calming Shag||CHECK PRICE|
|FurHaven NAP Deluxe Memory Foam||CHECK PRICE|
|Brentwood Home Griffith Pet Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Sleepez Latex Dog Mattress||CHECK PRICE|
|WFH High Memory Fiber Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Tall Tails Dream Chaser Charcoal Donut Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Layla Memory Foam Pet Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Wild One Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
- Super comfortable, high density memory foam mattress
- Easily removable and machine washable cover
- Comes in 3 different sizes to suit every dog out there
- Soft and supportive sides will keep your dog feeling comfortable and safe
- Special non-slip fabric bottom will keep the bed from slipping and sliding everywhere
The Puffy Dog Bed has an incredibly comfortable and innovative design, making it the perfect choice for your Shiba Inu! The memory foam mattress works wonders to relieve your pet of any painful pressure points or sore joints, by providing firm support and releasing weight pressure. It’s also incredibly soft and comfortable, with luxurious plush fabric that’s completely scratch-resistant!
You can easily remove the cover to wash it and clean the bed of any dog hair or stray treats. It comes with a lifetime warranty, so you won’t have to worry about spending hundreds to constantly replace the bed. Also, Puffy offer their customers a 101 night-long sleep trial, so you can see if your Shiba Inu will actually like their new bed. If they don’t, you’ll get a full refund, no questions asked!
- Scratch-resistant, so it won’t get damaged easily
- Amazing trial and warranty options to keep your money protected
- Combines innovation and comfort with unique memory foam mattress
- Comes in different sizes, so your growing pup won’t outgrow it!
- Not super affordable – even the smallest and cheapest bed costs over $100
- Relatively flat and low on the ground, so may be difficult for older dogs to use it comfortably
- Very soft and cozy material
- Easily removable cushion for cleaning
- Has a convoluted foam base to provide firm support
- Fluffy bolster edges make great headrests
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed For Shiba Inus: The Frisco Sherpa Orthopedic Bolster is a great bed for dogs suffering from joint problems or painful pressure points. It comes as a two piece set, with both the cushion and the side bolsters filled with a fluffy polyester fiber. Underneath, you’ll find a base made from convoluted foam, which gives the bed it’s firm, orthopedic support.
The bed fully machine washable, so you won’t have to worry about your dog making a mess. Also, the stylish appearance and design of the bed makes it the perfect addition to any home – it won’t distract or stand out too much from your general décor.
- Convoluted foam base is amazing for distributing your pet’s weight evenly
- Super soft and comfortable to sleep in
- Whole bed is machine washable, so need to worry about waterproof mats
- Bed isn’t designed to be chew resistant, and so needs to be thrown away as soon as you notice any wears or tears.
- It’s very flat and low on the ground, making it quite difficult for older dogs to use comfortably
- Customizable: choose either Extra Plush or Memory Foam option
- Uses LiveSmart technology that prevents stains and moisture damage
- Incredibly durable, with a lifetime guarantee
- Thicker than most dog beds for added comfort
Best Luxury Dog Bed For Shiba Inus: These luxury beds will provide your dog with an amazing night’s sleep! They’re made from incredibly durable fabric, encased in something called LiveSmart technology, which makes them completely waterproof and resistant to scratches.
They’re much thicker than standard dog beds, giving your dog much more comfort and support. Since the bedding is so durable, it can be used practically anywhere: indoors outdoors, in a kennel, or in a crate.
- Very thick and cozy, keeps your pup warm and comfortable
- Resistant to stains and water damage, so no need to wash the bedding
- Resistant to scratching and tearing, so will last for a lifetime
- Quite expensive, though some would argue that the features excuse the price
- No sides to support your dog, may be unsuitable for dogs that prefer tighter, enclosed dog beds.
- Kevlar reinforced seams and special BullyTuf cover material, designed to withstand chewing, digging, and scratching
- All materials are non-toxic and hypoallergenic
- Microfiber cover is removable and machine washable
- Waterproof liner included with the bed
Best Chew Resistant Dog Bed For Shiba Inus: Bully Beds have developed an incredibly durable dog bed, that’s made to withstand all forms of chewing, digging, and scratching. This is an amazing options for owners with disruptive pups, who enjoy destroying all their possessions for fun.
The bed has super strong, Kevlar reinforced seams that prevent your dog from ripping the bed to shreds. It also has an incredibly comfortable orthopedic foam mattress inside – you don’t have to sacrifice comfort for chew resistance!
- Marketed as chew resistant, so if dog happens to destroy it, you get a new bed free of charge
- Uses heavy duty Velcro instead of zippers that can be easily damaged
- Orthopedic foam mattress that’s free of any harmful chemicals, heavy metals, formaldehydes, etc.
- Very expensive – prices start at $130 and go all the way up to $290, depending on size
- May not be as soft or fluffy as other beds, as resistant fabric is a priority here, not comfort
- Incredibly soft lining made from polyester fibres
- Easy to clean and machine washable
- Snug rectangular shape to keep your dog feeling cozy and protected
Most Affordable Dog Bed For Shiba Inus: This Rectangular Bolster bed is the perfect solution for Shiba Inu owners on a budget! It provides all of the most important features, such as incredibly soft fabrics, supportive bolster sides that can act as head rests, and a comfortable cushion to lay on, for a much lower price than its competitors.
The bed has a very modern and stylish design, so it will fit in with any type of home décor. Also, it’s made to be snug and cozy around your dog, so you don’t have to worry about it taking up too much floor space.
- Very cheap compared to competing brands – less than $30 at full price, barely over $20 with a promotion or voucher code
- You won’t be sacrificing comfort for a cheaper price
- Completely machine washable, so no need to worry about your dog making a mess
- While overall pretty great, cheaper prices do still mean cheaper materials, so not as durable as other beds on the market
- Not designed to be chew resistant and needs to be replaced at the first signs of tearing or damage.
- Very sturdy, powder-covered steel frame
- Durable, PVC-covered fabric that’s made to last
- Quick and easy to assemble
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors
Best Elevated Dog Bed For Shiba Inus: This elevated dog bed is great if you have an older Shiba Inu who struggles to lay down on the floor, or if you live in a warm climate and don’t want your dog to overheat when sleeping. The bed is made from a very tight fabric that won’t sag even with years of use. The breathable material and sturdy steel frame, keeping the bed elevated, will help your pup to cool off during those hot summer days.
The bed can be used both indoors and outdoors, and has special ski resistant feet to prevent it from moving around. It’s very quick and easy to assemble, plus dirt and grime doesn’t cling to any of its surfaces, making it a dream to keep clean!
- Very cheap for this type of bed – it costs less than $30!
- Frame isn’t too high so even smaller puppies can make use of the bed
- Incredible dirt resistant and breathable material
- Very simple and without any padding or mattress – may prove a bit too uncomfortable for some dogs
- The largest bed can only hold dogs up to 85 lbs, so while your Shiba Inu should fit on it with no problems, you might have to keep it away from any larger dogs you may also live with
- Very soft yet, durable fabric
- Completely machine washable
- Can be used indoors and outdoors
- Available in multiple sizes
Best Travel Dog Bed For Shiba Inus: This Chuckit! Travel Pillow is a must have for those who like to go on road trips with their furry friends! While not a full bed, it’s definitely comfortable enough to satisfy your Shiba Inu’s needs.
The pillow is made from a very durable material, and while it’s not completely waterproof, it’s resistant enough to be suitable for outdoor use. It’s very easy to pack away, and can even fit in the backseat of a standard car.
- Breathable and quick-drying material
- Incredibly comfortable and soft
- Can be folded and packed away with ease, comes with a stuff sack included
- Not suitable for bigger dogs or those who like to sleep very spread out – it only measures 30 inches by 39 inches
- Keeps your dog very warm and cozy in the night
- Has a water-resistant nylon base
- Has a comfortable, orthopedic mattress
- Machine washable and safe to put in a dryer
Best Calming Dog Bed For Shiba Inus: Shiba Inus can be quite shy and fearful dogs. For owners struggling to keep their Shiba Inu calm at night, we recommend the Best Friend dog bed. It’s round shape creates a cozy and protected space for your dog to relax in, with the orthopedic mattress providing much-needed support.
The bed has a unique insulation layer which makes it self-heating. This means that the bed will radiate warmth from your dog’s own body heat, keeping them warm and safe throughout the night – no heating pads needed!
- Much safer than beds with heating pads – can be washed in a washing machine, and there’s no fear than the dog peeing the bed will short circuit it
- Has raised edges that allow your dog to nest and burrow into the bed
- Orthopedic mattress relieves pressure points and joint pain
- Fabric isn’t scratch or chew resistant, so dogs with nervous chewing habits will destroy the bed pretty quickly
- Not the cheapest of beds, as it costs close to $40
7 Other Top Rated Shiba Inu Dog Beds
The memory foam mattress provides incredible support for your dog’s joints, and has a medical-grade base layer for extra support.
The simplistic yet incredibly comfortable bed is a great choice for your Shiba Inu. The materials are non-toxic and will last you a lifetime.
This mattress is made from an incredibly breathable material, which will keep your Shiba Inu cool during the night. The cover is easily removable, and can be replaced as needed.
This luxury option will give your pup ultimate comfort and coziness. The bed is very thick, with raised sides that act as comfortable headrests.
This bed is perfect for smaller Shiba Inus, weighing up to 25 lbs, who love nesting in their beds. It’s cozy, soft, and completely machine washable!
This is another great option that gives your dog sufficient weight support. The bed has a 1 year warranty, and you can try it out for 30 nights before deciding if you want to keep it.
This bed has a unique, tiered foam design, which provides maximum comfort and support for your pup. It has a very durable cover made from poly-weave, which can be machine washed.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best type of dog bed for a Shiba Inu? – This will largely depend on your Shiba Inu’s temperament and individual needs. We’ve found that a lot of Shiba Inus prefer tighter and cozier beds, as they like the feeling of being protected. Also, orthopedic beds are usually recommended for this breed, as they are prone to joint problems.
- Do orthopedic dog beds really help Shiba Inus? – Yes, they do! These beds relieve pressure points and painful joints by evenly distributing your dog’s weight throughout the bed. Orthopedic beds are particularly recommended for Shiba Inus because of their higher risk of developing arthritis.
- Do Shiba Inus need comfy beds? – Every type of dog needs and deserves a comfy bed! AAs we’ve mentioned before, this breed does tend to suffer from joint problems, so the more comfortable and supportive their bed is, the happier your dog will be!
- Is memory foam toxic to Shiba Inus? – While simply sleeping on a memory foam bed will not harm your Shiba Inu in any way, ingesting it is a completely different story. If your dog has a tendency to chew and eat anything in their path, do not buy a memory foam bed, as it may do more harm than good.
So, in conclusion, there are many types of dog beds that are perfectly suitable for a Shiba Inu. Though the choice does largely come to personal preference and any special needs you dog may have, we do recommend some sort of calming and orthopedic bed for your Shiba Inu, due to increased risks of arthritis and temperamental issues.
We hope this guide was helpful and provided you some vital information about choosing the best dog bed for your Shiba Inu!