Golden Retrievers are a great choice for homes of all kinds, with their happy faces and gorgeous coats always bringing a smile to those around them. Golden Retrievers are, by breed, however, very active and intelligent, meaning they will likely need a bath or three throughout their time.
So, to help you pick out the best shampoo to suit your Golden Retriever, we have put together some of the best shampoos currently on the market, no matter your needs. From sensitive skin to allergies to a shiny coat, we have something for you. We always recommend speaking to your local veterinarian if you have any concerns, to ensure your dog’s safety.
What Is The Best Shampoo For Golden Retrievers?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo
- Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoos for Golden Retrievers
Below are 6 common types of shampoos that are often used for Golden Retrievers.
- Medicated – When dogs have conditions that include skin concerns or skin allergies, medicated shampoos are often used. Such concerns or conditions can include itchy or dry skin, bacterial infections, and Seborrheic skin conditions. There are a great deal of medicated shampoos that treat or manage almost every skin condition however with the consultation of a vet or professional the underlying problem or concern can be identified and the appropriate medicated shampoo on the market can be used.
- Hypoallergenic – Sometimes shampoos can be the cause of certain Golden Retriever skin conditions, instead of fixing them. This is because some shampoos have allergens that can cause irritations to our furry friends, which is not ideal. To help with allergen related skin conditions, hypoallergenic shampoos are a great alternative to medicated shampoos as they are free of allergens and may help settle your dog’s skin conditions.
- Deodorizing – Ever wondered how you can control your Golden Retrievers’ odor? Well thankfully, there are deodorizing shampoos. Deodorizing shampoos are used when you need a little bit of extra help in battling any unpleasant odors that can emanate from your Golden Retriever. To be rid of the smelly dog, a deodorizing shampoo will provide a clean right down to the skin and offer odor control for even the smelliest of dogs.
- Tearless – We all know the feeling of shampoo in the eyes and how much it can burn or sting. Thankfully there is also tearless shampoo for dogs as well! Tearless Shampoo is not too dissimilar to the tearless shampoo found for humans. The shampoo enables a far more pleasant bathing experience by not irritating or burning your dog’s eyes whilst they are being washed.
- Waterless – There are also shampoos for dogs that do not require water, which function in a very similar way that dry shampoo does for humans. Waterless shampoo can remain on your dog’s skin and does not need to be rinsed or washed out, making it an easy alternative. These kinds of shampoo will draw out the excess oil and dirt from your Golden Retriever’s skin, helping with smell and cleanliness, and often comes in a gel, foam, spray or powder
- Shed Control – Shedding can be a common problem for Golden Retrievers, but thankfully there is a style of shampoo that is designed to help with their constant hair drop. To combat shedding, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are often included in the shampoo which has been proven to reduce the amount of shed a dog drops (Golden Retrievers included).
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Anti-Fungal/Anti-Bacterial – The use of the terms ‘anti-fungal’ and ‘anti-bacterial’ is quite common these days, especially when it comes to shampoos and other washes. When it comes to dog shampoos, these are often classified as medicated shampoos, due to them having a lot of the same qualities. Anti-fungal/anti-bacterial shampoos offer relief from scratching, in addition to assisting clear up any yeast or bacterial infections, or even mange. Always check the label though.
- Dander Control – If you suffer from allergies, then dander control shampoo is already something you have likely considered. Choosing to wash your Golden Retriever in dander control shampoo can assist with allergy control and the removal of pet allergens, which can make a pet owner’s life a lot more pleasant.
- Sensitive Skin – If you have a Golden Retriever with sensitive skin, you’ll know how important it is to choose a shampoo that is properly-suited to their needs. Any shampoo that isn’t right can make their skin worse, so sensitive skin shampoos with gentle ingredients are a great option. They can soothe and comfort any areas of discomfort, and usually smell really good too!
- Skin & Coat Health – The skin and coat of a Golden Retriever are super important to both the health and happiness of every dog, so keeping them looking and feeling good is crucial. If your Golden’s coat is dull and/or their skin seems red or irritated, a good skin & coat health shampoo may be needed. There are heaps of options available, so there is something for everyone.
- Itch & Redness Remedy – If you are finding that your Golden Retriever has itchy and/or red skin, it may be time to consider an itch & redness remedy shampoo. These kinds of symptoms can mean a range of things, from a skin allergy to a food allergy to any other number of underlying issues. To help ease the uncomfortable scratching and possible sores, many of these shampoos offer medicated and/or hypoallergenic properties, which usually means soothing and calming too.
- Calming – Calming shampoos offer soothing principles to a Golden Retriever’s skin if it is irritated and red. These kinds of shampoos may also be called sensitive skin options, as well as those for itch & redness and medicated. They generally contain simple ingredients with calming properties, to assist with sore skin.
Overall Best Shampoo for Golden Retrievers
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Golden Retrievers|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats ||CHECK PRICE|
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control ||CHECK PRICE|
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Earthbath Shed Control ||CHECK PRICE|
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut ||CHECK PRICE|
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me ||CHECK PRICE|
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover ||CHECK PRICE|
- Lathers easily and washes off easily.
- 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner formula.
- Completely alcohol and soap-free.
- Coconut based and combined with lavender and mint, offering a soothing bath experience.
- Ingredients include natural conditioners and pure botanical extracts such as sage, aloe vera, rosemary, green tea, and chamomile.
Overall Best Shampoo for Golden Retrievers – The best overall shampoo for Golden Retrievers is the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner. It is a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner which offers a soap-free formula that consists of cosmetic-grade botanical extracts and essential oils, meaning your furry friend will smell fresh after their bath. There is also a green tea, aloe vera, lavender, and mint, ensuring a soothing bath time experience. The Buddy Wash shampoo is made in the USA and is made from only simple and natural ingredients, so you can rest assured that no harsh chemicals are being placed on your Golden Retriever’s skin. These shampoos are also safe for humans, as well as animals, so an added bonus.
- Leaves skin silky, soft and shiny.
- Made in the USA.
- Wheat protein is a natural deodorizer and is safe for frequent use (even puppies).
- Not tested on animals and is safe for humans when used as directed.
- This formula does not offer flea repellence.
- Can cause issues for dogs with a wheat allergy.
- Gentle shampoo.
- Contains oatmeal to soothe skin.
- Oat protein actively hydrates, protects, and nourishes skin.
- Contains Certified Organic Aloe Vera Juice to assist with skin hydration and coat health.
- Does not contain any dyes or parabens.
Most Affordable Golden Retriever Shampoo – Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs and Cats is on our list as the most affordable Golden Retriever shampoo, as it offers an awesome price point for a great product. This shampoo contains oat protein to both protect your dog’s skin and hydrate it, as well as chamomile extract to soothe irritations, whilst still providing your dog with a soft coat and great skin health. Frisco shampoo has a light almond smell however some pet owners have indicated that this odor isn’t very appealing once the bath is over but, overall, they will have a soft, fresh-looking coat and great skin. There are also coconut and plant-derived cleaners in this formula, which add an additional luxurious feel to it.
- Helps relieve itching.
- Soft coat following washing.
- Affordable price point.
- Not tearless.
- Can leave an unpleasant odor after bathing.
- Tearless and soap-free formula that is ideal for sensitive skin.
- Does not contain any dyes or perfumes.
- 2-in-1 gentle shampoo and conditioner.
- Offers benefits including neutralizing odors, deodorizing, skin and coat cleansing, and rich conditioning.
- Fresh spring waters scent.
- Made in the USA and safe to use with topical products.
Best Golden Retriever Puppy Shampoo – If a Golden Retriever puppy has made its way into your home (and heart), making sure you have the right shampoo to keep them fresh and clean is super important. Nature’s Miracle offers a gentle and nourishing, 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner for your new best friend, offering four major benefits – odor neutralization, deodorizing, skin and coat cleaning and conditioning. This shampoo is also tearless and does not contain any dyes or perfumes, which is perfect for little puppies in their initial stages of life. It is also safe to use with any spot-on tick and flea products that you may be utilizing, ensuring that your Golden Retriever is getting all the help they need. Nature’s Miracle Puppy Shampoo & Conditioner is also soap-free and is a natural Cocoa Surfactant shampoo, offering a thorough clean, and reduced static electricity.
- Affordable price point.
- Pleasant odor.
- Offers a soft and silky coat.
- Great odor deodorization.
- Gentle on puppy skin.
- Nice scent does not remain long.
- Formulated by veterinarians with a balanced range of essential oils and natural ingredients.
- Leaves your dog smelling fresh and clean.
- Washes away allergens, resulting in the soothing of sensitive skin and improves itchiness.
- It offers itch relief for both allergies and skin irritations.
Allergy and Itch Control Shampoo for Golden Retrievers – Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo is a great option if you are looking for an allergy and itch control shampoo for your Golden Retriever. This shampoo contains oatmeal, d-limonene, and tea tree oil, offering the ideal combination of natural ingredients to assist with sensitive skin and help relieve itchiness. One of the big benefits of this allergy shampoo is that it does not affect topical flea and tick treatments, ensuring you can use it for your Golden Retriever at any time and not be concerned. It also makes them smell great while washing away any problematic allergens – sounds like a great option to us.
- Suitable for both sensitive skin and skin allergies.
- Super silky and shiny coat.
- Do not have to leave on your dog for extended periods.
- Great scent.
- Made in the USA.
- Does not lather well.
- Cannot be used on puppies under the age of 3 months.
- Seborrhea and inflammation are regulated through the use of Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl and lipacid as well.
- Contains both chlorhexidine and climbazole – both which assist with bacteria control and control of fungi populations.
- Lipacid assists with restoring the skin barrier through moisturizing and providing a lipo-protidic file deposit.
- A film that offers irritation protection and defies rinsing is deposited on the skin after use to avoid moisture loss.
- Formula contains 3.0% Chlorhexidine Gluconate, 0.5% Climbazole, and 0.05% Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl.
Fungal and Bacterial Infections – If skin inflammation, fungal infections, and bacterial infections are plaguing your Golden Retriever, Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo is a great choice. The formula helps those suffering from skin inflammation caused by bacteria or a yeast infection, as well as seborrhea (or ‘hotspots’). Although it is in a higher price bracket, a little product goes a long way and lathers nicely, which makes it a cost-effective purchase. Duoxo ingredients include chlorhexidine, climbazole, and phytosphingosine, all of which help with both superficial and severe skin conditions in varying stages. It also has a great, non-medicinal smell and makes your Golden Retriever’s coat look and feels silky smooth.
- Cost-effective as lasts a long time.
- Pleasant smell.
- Anti-microbial and anti-yeast.
- Lathers well.
- Offers smooth and silky fur.
- More expensive than other fungal shampoos.
- Has to sit on the coat for 10 minutes before washing.
- Contains natural moisturizing ingredients.
- Both gentle and hypoallergenic.
- Soap-free formula.
- Maintains skin hydration.
- Non-stripping and non-drying.
Soap Free & Hypoallergenic – HyLyt Shampoo for Dogs & Cats offers a gentle soap-free and hypoallergenic formula for Golden Retrievers of all shapes and sizes. The perfect pH balance and emollients for moisture and hydration ensure lower irritation to your dog’s skin, as well as protein for conditioning. If your Golden Retriever is a known suffered from seborrhea, otherwise known as hotspots, HyLyt is full of essential fatty acids that nourish the skin, as well as helping to control both scaling and flaking. It is also non-drying and non-stripping, and may even help with topical flea and tick products.
- Helps control flaking and scaling caused by seborrhea
- Can potentially benefit topical flea and tick products.
- Great lather without having to use a lot of product.
- Smells great.
- Easily rinsed.
- Not all ingredients are from the USA.
5 Other Top-Rated Golden Retriever Shampoos
If you are looking for another option for shed control, look no further than Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo. Its formula contains organic shea butter, glycerin, and allantoin, which focus on nourishing your dog’s skin and locking in moisture. Finally, green tea extract and omega-6 fatty acids are added to the mix, aiming to protect the skin and fix any damage that can cause shedding.
Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo and Conditioner is a great choice if you are looking for a shampoo that smells delicious and still does a great job washing your Golden Retriever. It is a 2-in-1 formula that assists with moisture levels on the skin, with mango and coconut assisting with the release of tangled fur, and papaya, and kiwi to take care of dry skin (and get your Golden’s coat looking amazing).
Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me Waterless Shampoo is a refreshing option without the need for water and traditional bath time. This shampoo foam both cleans and moisturizes your Golden Retriever’s coat, with its natural botanical formula making sure your furry friend both looks and smells great in no time at all.
If you didn’t know already, Burt’s Bees doesn’t just offer some amazing products for humans – they offer great dog shampoo too. Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo consists of natural ingredients including colloidal oat flour and honey, offering you peace of mind when it comes to the correct products to be putting on your Golden Retrievers skin. This shampoo is pH balanced and does not contain any artificial fragrances, chemicals, parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, or sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), offering great moisturizing capabilities and promotes a healthy coat too!
Allerpet Dog Dander Remover is a scientifically proven formula to assist in the removal of dander from your Golden Retriever before becoming airborne. Shown to reduce up to 50% of dander when used once a week, it is super easy to apply, and no bath time is needed – simply place Allerpet on a towel and wipe down your Golden Retriever. This product is both non-toxic and non-oily, meaning it doesn’t allow the attraction for more allergens.
Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Golden Retriever
There are seven steps when it comes to bathing your Golden Retriever:
- Always brush your dog before bath time, as matted hair can retain water and cause irritated skin.
- Always use lukewarm water, never hot water, as dogs are more susceptible to burns from hot water than humans are. Run the water about the same temperature as you would run for a baby – even cooler if your Golden Retriever tends to get hot easily.
- Keep talking to your dog in a calm and reassuring voice, to convince them that bath time isn’t that bad.
- Always use dog shampoo!
- Always ensure that all shampoo is washed off, as any leftover soap can irritate the skin.
- Allow your dog to air-dry or use a blow-dryer for dogs – never use a human hair dryer, as this is too hot.
- Reward your Golden Retriever once the bath is complete with praise, pets, and/or play!
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best shampoo for Golden Retrievers? The best shampoo for Golden Retrievers depends on a range of factors however, overall, the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner is a really great choice.
- How often should you bathe your Golden Retriever? Bathing your Golden Retriever too often can actually cause problems, as it can remove natural skin oils and trap moisture in the undercoat. Therefore, Golden Retrievers should not be bathed more than once every four weeks – once a quarter or once every six months, if they aren’t dirty, is suffice.
- Why does my Golden Retriever stink? Because Golden Retrievers were bred to be around the water, they have a dense double coat with an oily outer layer. This layer is great as it provides waterproofing properties, however, it isn’t so great when it comes to smell. The oils within their fur give them that ‘doggy’ smell, especially when damp.
- Can I use human shampoos on Golden Retrievers? Do not use human shampoo on your Golden Retriever as the pH levels will not be correct for their skin. Human shampoo can dry out dog skin and make it more susceptible to parasites and bacteria, whereas dog shampoo has the correct alkaline levels for their needs.
- Why does my Golden Retriever still stink after a bath? Just like all dogs, Golden Retrievers can have that unpleasant ‘dog’ smell after bath time is over. This is usually caused by micro-organisms, like bacteria and yeast, which are found in your dog’s coat and on their skin, as well as natural oils. When these get wet, they can give off a nasty smell, which is why your fluffy friend may still smell after a wash.
When it comes to ensuring your Golden Retriever is nice and clean, there is a shampoo available for almost anything. Whether your dog is 10 weeks or 10 years old (or something in between), there are options to suit your every need. From sensitive skin to allergies to hypoallergenic and anti-fungal, choosing the correct shampoo for your canine friend is important for their health and wellbeing. We always recommend speaking to a veterinarian before choosing a shampoo, so now it’s time to enjoy bath time!