When it comes to choosing a harness for your Pitbull, or any dog for that matter, it can often seem as if there are unlimited options to choose from and it can be difficult to know which is the best harness for your Pitbull, and which is the most suitable for your needs. Although different options have their own unique selling points, every dog is different, and they may each require specific features.
While trying to choose the best harness for Pitbulls, it can help to first understand the different types of harnesses that are on offer. Below there is a breakdown of the main types of harnesses that are available and their individual functions, as well as a list of the key things to consider when comparing different types of Pitbull harnesses.
Additionally, there is a list below of some of the best Pitbull harnesses on the market, featuring harnesses with a variety of different qualities, and ones that cover a range of different budgets. This list takes into consideration the different sizes, functions, and safety features that a Pitbull’s harness may need and explains the reasons why some are a much better choice than others.
What are the Best Harnesses for Pitbulls?
- Best Overall: Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness
- Best Value Harness: Sporn Mesh No Pull Dog Harness
- Best No-Pull Harness: Frisco Padded Nylon No Pull Dog
- Best Front Clip Harness: PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness
- OneTigris Tactical Vest Nylon Front Clip Dog Harness
- Best Pet Supplies Voyager Black Trim Mesh Dog Harness
- Kurgo Journey Air Polyester Reflective No Pull Dog Harness
- Frisco Small Breed Soft Vest Step In Back Clip Dog Harness
- Mighty Paw Padded Sports Reflective No Pull Dog Harness
- Chai’s Choice 3M Polyester Reflective Front Clip Dog Harness
8 Different Types of Harnesses for Pitbulls
- Front Clip – To prevent Pitbulls from pulling away while being taken for a walk, a front clip harness is often the best solution. By placing the leash attachment clip on the front of the harness, the dog’s attention is naturally diverted back towards the owner without any strain being put on the neck.
- Back Clip – If pulling away while walking isn’t a problem with your Pitbull then a back clip harness will work well, especially if you are a fan of going for runs with your dog. This allows them to face forward and run while still being steered by your direction.
- Dual Clip – As the name suggests, dual clip harnesses feature leash attachments on both the front and back of the dog, giving the owner the option to clip the leash to the front, to prevent pulling, or the back, to allow for more active dog walks.
- No Pull – Some harnesses are designed specifically for dogs that are in training or have trouble keeping to their owners’ pace while walking. Features such as frontally placed clips prevent the dog from pulling ahead while padded materials on the chest pads ensure that the dog doesn’t accidentally choke.
- Car Safety – For owners that need to travel with their Pitbulls, it is a great asset to own a harness that is vehicle safe, as well as being suitable for walks and activities. Comfortable and secure fittings, as well as strengthened clips that can attach to seat belts, combine to create a very safe and useful harness for dogs that are always on the road!
- Headcollar – Headcollar harnesses feature straps that go around the dog’s head to slightly restrain their mouths. If you have a younger Pitbull that is snapping at people, this may be a safe option just to ensure that it doesn’t bite anyone and also teaches the dog to keep calm and relaxed while in exciting environments.
- Reflective – A large number of dog owners enjoy walking their dogs in the evening or at night. For this reason, many harnesses come fitted with shiny material or reflective plates, to ensure that the wearer stays visible at all times. This is always a worthwhile option if your dog will be out and about after dark.
- Tactical – Tactical harnesses tend to be very durable and weatherproof. They are often made of very strong materials, while also being comfortable for the dog. If your Pitbull is very active then tactical harnesses can provide comfort while also lasting a long time, being suitable for any weather and terrain.
6 Key Considerations When Looking for the Right Harness for your Pitbull
- The Size of Your Pitbull – Making sure that your harness fits comfortably but securely is very important to ensuring your Pitbull is kept safe and under control. Most harnesses are available in a variety of different sizes, but if you are unsure whether an item will be the right fit, it might be worth opting for a product that has adjustable straps to fit your dog perfectly.
- Pulling Away During Walks – If your Pitbull is still in training or simply has trouble sticking by your side during walks and prefers to pull away, several harnesses can help to combat this issue. Several harness models are specifically designed with this issue in mind and have features that will reduce this problem greatly.
- Durability – If your dog is very active, then you may want to go for an option that can tolerate a large amount of wear and tear while still holding up and keeping your Pitbull secure. Stronger, more weather-proof materials may be a more suitable option, as opposed to lighter and cheaper options.
- Suitability for Different Activities – While all harnesses are suitable for dog walking, some owners may be looking for a range of suitable activities and uses. For example, some harnesses can be strapped into a vehicle seat-belt system, while others have multiple clips for both walking and running. It is important to bear in mind what the harness will be specifically needed for before making your purchase.
- Visibility – As safety is a key concern, it may be of interest to owners that prefer to go for evening dog walks that several harnesses are available with both vivid colors and reflective plates attached to keep your Pitbull visible and secure at all times.
- Price – While the price isn’t necessarily the most important factor when choosing a harness, it is something that most people consider. While more expensive harnesses may boast more durable materials and greater functionality, there is a very wide array of budget options that may be perfectly suitable for your needs, without having to break the bank.
Overall Best Harnesses for Pitbulls
|Our 2021 Picks: Overall Best Harnesses for Pitbulls|
|Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness
|Sporn Mesh No Pull Dog Harness
|Frisco Padded Nylon No Pull Dog Harness
|PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness
|OneTigris Tactical Vest Nylon Front Clip Dog Harness
|Best Pet Supplies Voyager Black Trim Mesh
|Kurgo Journey Air Polyester Reflective No Pull
|Frisco Small Breed Soft Vest Step In Back Clip
|Mighty Paw Padded Sports Reflective No Pull
|Chai’s Choice 3M Polyester Reflective Front Clip
- Works with all seatbelt systems in any car model.
- Comes with buckle and 10” seat belt loop.
- Crash-tested up to 75lbs.
- Fully adjustable for all shapes and sizes.
- Suitable for everyday walking as well as driving.
Overall Best – With a system that has been inspired by equipment that is used to keep rock climbers secure, the Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness with Steel Nesting Buckles Enhanced Strength features steel buckles that keep your dog safe and protected in the unlikely event of an impact crash.
Since the harness boasts five different available sizes, as well as five size adjustment points, it can be altered to comfortably fit dogs of practically any shape and size.
In addition to its safety features, the straps and chest pad are very comfortable, whilst also reducing stress and pressure across the Pitbull’s trachea and sternum. The comfortable wearability, combined with the customizable size options, allows the harness to function very well as both a seat belt while traveling, as well as an everyday walking harness.
- 5 different adjustable sizes available.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Suitable for any vehicle seat belt system.
- Can be used as a regular walking harness.
- One of the more expensive options.
- Durable and suitable for all weather conditions.
- Designed to humanely prevent dogs from pulling away without choking them.
- Padded sleeves provide a comfortable wearing experience.
- Does not restrict your dog’s movements.
Best Value – Designed with both comfort and control in mind, the Sporn Mesh No Pull Dog Harness is intended to help owners that are struggling with dogs pulling away from them while out for a walk. The harness features elastic mesh and padding to ensure that no matter how hard a dog may be pulling that they will not hurt themselves.
As the harness is just one-piece, it is simple to slip on and off your dog, and will humanely prevent any choking if your dog is over-excited, as it moves with the wearer while still being able to prevent a great deal of pulling.
- Great value for money when compared to other similar harnesses.
- Padded sleeves and elastic mesh allow freedom of movement.
- Different sizes are available for a wide array of dogs.
- Not as adjustable as other models.
- Not suitable as a vehicle harness or tie-out.
- Padded chest material prevents dogs from pulling away from the owner.
- Nylon webbing provides increased durability.
- Straps are adjustable to accommodate any dog sizes.
- Available in four different colors and sizes.
Best No Pull – The main focus of the Frisco Padded Nylon No Pull Dog Harness is to provide the owner with more control when walking a dog that tends to pull away from them. The harness features a soft mesh chest plate, as well as high-quality nylon webbing that is strong and secure while still being comfortable for your dog.
By placing the O-ring leash attachment at the front of the harness, the dog’s attention is automatically and naturally redirected back towards the owner, which prevents continuous pulling away while also preventing strain on the dog’s neck.
There are two buckles on the straps that make the harness easy to take on and off your dog, and the harness is also available in multiple colors to suit your dog’s aesthetic.
- Padded material is comfortable and doesn’t restrict movement.
- O-ring leash attachment is placed at the front to prevent neck strain, perfect for preventing pulling dogs in training.
- More durable than other similar harnesses.
- Multiple color options.
- Cheaper than other similar harness models.
- Not suitable for tie-out or vehicle seat-belt harnessing.
- Sizes are not very adjustable.
- Front positioned clip Prevents dog from pulling away while walking.
- Straps are adjustable for different dog sizes.
- Buckles on straps make it easy to take on and off.
- Straps go across the dog’s chest, rather than the neck, to avoid any possibility of choking if the dog is pulling away.
Best Front Clip – Taking a simple yet effective approach to preventing dogs from pulling away from their owners, the PetSafe East Walk Dog Harness places the leash clip on the front of the dog’s chest. Not only does this prevent choking when the dog pulls ahead, but also naturally redirects the dogs head back towards the owner.
This harness is available in a wide range of sizes and colors, making them accessible to dogs of a wide range of shapes and sizes. The harness is perfect for Pitbulls in training or for owners that want to regain a bit of control over their dog walks and to steer their dogs without having to worry about them choking or being uncomfortable.
- Seven different adjustable sizes available, as well as seven color options.
- Frontally placed clip encourages the dog to look back at the owner rather than pull away.
- Straps can easily be buckled on and off.
- Straps go across the chest rather than the neck, preventing choking for dogs that tend to pull away more than others.
- Less padding and flexibility than other harness models.
- Only for walking, not suitable for tie-outs or vehicle seat-belt harnessing.
- Straps are fully adjustable to fit each dog snugly.
- Sides features small pouches to carry gear and supplies.
- Control loop over the chest pad allows control over pulling dogs.
- Harness is customizable with space for badges and patches.
- Durable handle allows for additional control over stronger dogs that are having trouble with pulling away from their owners.
Best Tactical – Despite its heavy-duty nylon shell and durable nature, the OneTigris Tactical Vest Nylon Front Clip Dog Harness is both lightweight and water-resistant. The harness is both comfortable and highly adjustable, allowing dogs of various sizes to fit snugly inside.
In terms of accessories, the harness boasts space for badges, patches, and storage areas for your dog to carry its own supplies. In addition to the customization options, the harness includes practical elements to help give control back to the owner of a dog that has issues with pulling away while walking. A handle on the rear of the harness allows for immediate control, while a leash clip on the chest pad prevents the dog from pulling forward, as well as preventing any chance of the dog choking when over-excited.
- Versatile exterior, despite soft and comfortable interior.
- Lightweight, durable material.
- Strong and secure leach attachments on the front and back for additional control.
- Multiple areas for storage and customization.
- Not available for smaller dogs.
- Higher price than most other harnesses
5 Other Top-Rated Pitbull Harnesses:
With a strong focus on both comfort and ease of use, this harness is made from a soft, lightweight material that allows your Pitbull to move with ease while still fitting to their torso securely. The harness attaches to your leash via two D-rings, which gives the owner secure control over the dog.
The rear buckle allows you to easily put on or remove the harness, all without compromising security. The harness is also available in a variety of colors and sizes, allowing the owner to find the perfect fit and style for their Pitbull.
This harness was specifically designed for active dogs, as it is very suitable for walks, hikes, and runs. With several padded areas, the harness ensures that your Pitbull is kept comfortable at all times, while also keeping them secure and under control. As well as being available in five different sizes, four adjustment points are included to make sure that the harness fits well with each dog.
By placing the leash clip on the front of the harness, the Pitbull is prevented from pulling away straight ahead and is instead encouraged to look back at the owner, all without straining them in any way. For additional control, a handle is also placed on the rear of the harness.
Unlike some of the other harnesses on the market, this product features reflective plates sewn into the sides for additional safety, ensuring that your dog stays visible during walks at any time of the day or night. In addition to this, the harness has adjustable straps to make sure that your dog is buckled up securely and comfortably, while the two D-ring leash attachments provide another level of control and security over the harness.
Made from a very soft and breathable material, this harness is available in a range of colors and sizes, giving owners plenty of options to choose from when trying to find the perfect fit!
Designed with all kinds of dog personalities in mind, this unique harness features two different leash attachment clips. The first clip is placed on the chest pad, which will help to prevent pulling while out for walks, as the dog’s attention is redirected back towards the owner. The second clip is placed on the back, which is perfect for attaching the lead to while out for a run, as well as for connecting to vehicle restraints.
The harness itself is soft and comfortable, as well as weather-proof and durable. The buckles at either side allow the owner to take off and put on the harness with great ease.
The harness makes sure your Pitbull stays safe, secure, and visible at all times. The soft, padded material keeps pressure away from your Pitbull’s neck and spreads it evenly over the chest and stomach. Suitable for both walks and car journeys, this harness features a front placed O-ring leash connection to prevent pulling, as well as a handle on the rear for easy control over your dog. This product is available in a wide range of vivid colors and sizes, allowing owners to choose the perfect fit and style for their Pitbull.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best harness for a Pitbull that pulls? For Pitbulls that have issues with pulling away from their owner, a harness with a leash attachment placed on the front is usually the best option. This naturally directs the dog’s attention back towards the owner, rather than risking neck strain and choking.
- Can all harnesses be connected to a vehicle seat belt clip? No, not all harnesses are suitable for connecting to vehicles. You must choose a harness that specifically indicates that they are suitable for this option, otherwise your dog may be injured in the event of a crash.
- Will a harness hurt my Pitbull while wearing it? All of the harnesses featured above are made with comfort in mind, featuring soft and padded materials. Whether your Pitbull is slowly strolling or energetically running, these harnesses will keep them comfortable and ensure that their movement isn’t restricted.
- Does price matter when it comes to choosing a Pitbull harness? While there are many perfectly suitable harnesses for any budget, generally speaking, the more expensive harnesses tend to have more useful and reliable features, such as more durable materials and adjustable sizes. The best option is always to consider your specific needs and requirements, and then focus on finding a harness that is most suitable for your Pitbull.
In conclusion, each different type of harness that has been outlined above may be suitable for different Pitbulls, depending on their size, age, and temperament. Whether you are looking for a harness to help with a Pitbull that is pulling away during walks, or simply a comfortable harness to give you a bit more control during your dog walks, runs, or car journeys, there will be something for you in these top harnesses.