- What Is The Best Shampoo For Havanese?
- 6 Different Types of Shampoos for A Havanese
- 6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Overall Best Shampoo for Havanese
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats, Almond Scent
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural Puppy Shampoo & Conditioner
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Essential Fatty Acids for Dogs & Cats
- 5 Other Top-Rated Havanese Shampoos
- Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Havanese
Havanese are beautiful dogs with many admirers, due to their long, silky hair, cuddly size, and expressive eyes. They are the national dog of Cuba, being bred as a companion dog of Cuban aristocracy, and are intelligent, affectionate, and gentle. They are playful though, which can get them a little dirty and grubby sometimes!
So, just like all other breeds of dog, Havanese need a bath sometimes too. And, given the huge array of shampoos that are currently available on the market, it can be a little overwhelming to determine which type is best for your four-legged family member. So, to help you out a little, we have put together some information about some of the best shampoos around – keep reading to find out some more information!
What Is The Best Shampoo For Havanese?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo
- Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoos for A Havanese
There are 6 common types of shampoo that are used to bathe A Havanese:
- Medicated – The best way to manage or treat skin concerns or skin allergies in Havanese is to use a medicated shampoo. Common concerns or conditions such as bacterial infections, seborrhoea skin conditions, or even just itchy/dry skin require a shampoo that will ease some of the discomforts and help treat the underlying condition. Medicated shampoos are exactly what could be required, and it is best to have a consultation with a vet to find the most appropriate medicated shampoo that can manage the concern or condition. There is a great range of medicated shampoos for almost all skin conditions that Havanese may suffer, so there is something for everyone.
- Hypoallergenic – One thing to be wary of is that some shampoos contain allergens that will irritate Havanese skin. Hypoallergenic shampoo may be the best path for a Havanese especially if they suffer from skin conditions related to allergens. Hypo-allergenic shampoos could help settle your Havanese’s skin without the need for medicated shampoo if the skin condition is related to certain allergens.
- Deodorizing – From time to time an a Havanese can develop a bit of an odor that isn’t very pleasant. To help combat this and eventually alleviate it, there are deodorizing shampoos available. Deodorizing shampoos are used when dog odors cannot be controlled by regular shampoo, and you need a bit of extra help in combating some of the awful smells coming from your Havanese. A deodorizing shampoo will help clean down to your Havanese’s skin and nullify some of the strong odors that can develop.
- Tearless – A tearless shampoo is not too dissimilar to the human tearless shampoo, as it helps with the sensation of burning or stinging of the eyes. By using tearless shampoo, even the most cautious of Havanese can avoid any of the issues of getting shampoo in their eyes. By using tearless shampoo, the shampooing and cleaning process can become a far more enjoyable one for both owner and Havanese.
- Waterless – For an alternative to the full bathing and shampooing experience, there is waterless shampoo. This type of shampoo is a speedier and easier process than the full bathing option. Waterless shampoo does not require water and it is usually available in gel, foam, spray, or powder forms. It does not need to be washed out and will draw out the excess oil and dirt from your Havanese’s skin.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Anti-Fungal/Anti-Bacterial – Anti-fungal and anti-bacterial shampoos are often classified as medicated shampoos, as they share a lot of the same qualities. If your Havanese is suffering from yeast or bacterial infections, or mange, anti-fungal and/or anti-bacterial shampoos can offer great relief from scratching, as well as clearing up the issue. Many shampoos have both anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, so always check the label.
- Dander Control – Dander control is another offering that some shampoos provide, which is a big drawcard for people with allergies. Although dander control won’t magically fully eliminate all pet allergens, regularly bathing your Havanese in dander control shampoo can assist in allergy control. A lot of dander shampoos smell great too – so bonus!
- Sensitive Skin – If your Havanese suffers from sensitive skin, ensuring you are using the correct shampoo for their needs is super important otherwise it can make matters worse. As some Havanese can suffer from sebaceous adenitis, shampoos for sensitive skin are available on the market, with some being advertised as medicated as well. Always check with your veterinarian if you are unsure.
- Skin & Coat Health – Havanese have beautiful, silky coats, and keeping their skin and coat healthy is important to not only the beauty of the Havanese but also their happiness. Sometimes a Havanese’s coat can start to become dull or their skin maybe exhibits redness or itchiness, if this the case there is a range of shampoos available to help. Coat and skin health usually rely on omega fatty acids and looking for these ingredients can help to keep your Havanese looking great and feeling happy.
- Itch & Redness Remedy – If in the event you find your Havanese has itchy or red skin, it could be worthwhile investigating an itch & redness remedy shampoo. Sometimes these issues can be related to a skin or food allergy, but, ideally, you try to ease the uncomfortable sensation for your Havanese. Shampoos that usually address itch & redness are usually medicated and/or hypoallergenic which will most likely mean they will calm and soothe the skin.
- Calming – Sometimes the best way to soothe an irritated and red Havanese’s skin is to use a calming shampoo. These types of shampoos can be called sensitive skin options and usually contain calming properties to help with sore skin.
Overall Best Shampoo for Havanese
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Havanese|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats||CHECK PRICE|
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control||CHECK PRICE|
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Earthbath Shed Control||CHECK PRICE|
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut ||CHECK PRICE|
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me||CHECK PRICE|
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover||CHECK PRICE|
- A 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner soap-free formula.
- It offers a rich lather easily and is simple to wash off.
- Ingredients include natural conditioners and pure botanical extracts such as sage, aloe vera, rosemary, green tea, and chamomile.
- Completely alcohol-free.
- Coconut based and combined with lavender and mint, offering a soothing bath experience.
Overall Best: Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner is a great, 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner for your Havanese at any age. It offers a soap-free formula, made up of cosmetic-grade botanical extracts and essential oils, so your pup will both smell great and feel fresh. There is also a green tea, aloe vera, lavender, mint… the list goes on, offering a soothing bath time experience. Let’s not forget that this shampoo is also made in the USA and contains only simple and natural ingredients, meaning no harsh chemicals are being put on your Havanese’s skin at any time. Buddy Wash shampoos are also safe for humans, as well as animals, and offer nourishing ingredients to suit your dog’s needs.
- The inclusion of wheat protein in the shampoo is a natural deodorizer.
- Wheat protein is safe for frequent use on your furry friends (even puppies!).
- Not tested on animals and is safe for humans when used as directed.
- Leaves coat silky, soft, and shiny.
- Made in the USA.
- This formula does not offer flea repellence.
- It can cause issues for dogs with a wheat allergy.
- Gentle shampoo.
- It does not contain any dyes or parabens.
- It contains oatmeal to soothe skin.
- Actively hydrates, protects, and nourishes the skin through the use of oat protein.
- It contains Certified Organic Aloe Vera Juice to assist with skin hydration and coat health.
Most Affordable Havanese Shampoo – Not only does the Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs and Cats offer an awesome price point, but it also offers a range of benefits for your Havanese. From oat protein to hydrate and protect your dog’s skin to chamomile extract to soothe it, this shampoo can provide your Havanese with a soft coat and great skin health (without hurting your pocket).
This shampoo contains a light almond fragrance however some have suggested that it is not that appealing after bath time is over, however all in all your fluffy friend will be looking fresh and clean in so many ways. And, let’s not forget the coconut and plant-derived cleaners, which are gentle and kind on both a Havanese’s skin and coat. It sounds like a win-win.
- Affordable price point.
- It helps relieve itching.
- Soft coat following washing.
- Not tear-free.
- Can leave an odor after bathing.
- 2-in-1 gentle shampoo and conditioner.
- Offers 4-in-1 benefits including neutralizing odors, deodorizing, skin and coat cleansing, and rich conditioning.
- Tearless and soap-free formula that is ideal for sensitive skin.
- It does not contain any dyes or perfumes.
- Fresh spring waters scent.
- Made in the USA and safe to use with topical products.
Best Havanese Puppy Shampoo – If you decided to introduce a beautiful Havanese puppy into your home, you want to know that you are using the best shampoo to keep them fresh, clean, and looking great. Nature’s Miracle offers great odor control, 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner for your newest furry family member offering odor neutralization, deodorizing, skin and coat cleaning and conditioning
It is also tearless, gentle and does not contain any dyes or perfumes, as well as safe to use with any spot-on tick and flea products you may be using. Nature’s Miracle is also soap-free and is a natural Cocoa Surfactant shampoo, meaning it offers a thorough clean as well as reduced static electricity.
- It offers a soft and silky coat.
- Great odor deodorization.
- Affordable price point.
- Makes your puppy smell great.
- Gentle on puppy skin.
- The good scent does not last long.
- Created by veterinarians with a balanced range of essential oils and natural ingredients.
- Washes away allergens, resulting in the soothing of sensitive skin and improves itchiness.
- It gives your dog a great smell and cleanliness.
- Will help with itch relief for allergies and skin irritations.
Allergy and Itch Control Shampoo for Havanese – If you need an allergy and itch control shampoo for your Havanese, make sure you take a look at Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo. It is made up of natural ingredients such as oatmeal, d-limonene, and tea tree oil, offering assistance with sensitive skin and itchy skin in a variety of ways.
Vet’s Best Allergy Shampoo also doesn’t negatively affect topical flea and tick treatments, ensuring you can use it for your Havanese at any time, no matter what. The formula also smells amazing and washes away nasty allergens.
- Great for both sensitive skin and skin allergies.
- Super silky and shiny coat.
- Beautiful scent.
- Made in the USA.
- It does not lather well.
- Not suitable for puppies under 3 months
- Lipacid assists with restoring the skin barrier through moisturizing and providing a lipo-protidic file deposit.
- Seborrhea and inflammation are regulated through the use of Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl and lipacid as well.
- It contains both chlorhexidine and climbazole – both of which assist with bacteria control and control of fungi populations.
- A film that offers irritation protection and defies rinsing is deposited on the skin after use to avoid moisture loss.
- Formula contains 3.0% Chlorhexidine Gluconate, 0.5% Climbazole, and 0.05% Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl.
Fungal and Bacterial Infections – The Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo is a great option if your Havanese is suffering from skin inflammation caused by bacteria or a yeast infection, as well as seborrhea (or ‘hotspots’). It lathers up well without having to use a lot of product which, considering its higher price bracket, is a great thing as it lasts a lot longer! Duoxo contains ingredients with a range of moisturizing ingredients such as chlorhexidine, climbazole, and phytosphingosine to help with both superficial and severe skin conditions.
Not only does it help with skin irritations, but it also leaves your Havanese’s coat feeling super smooth and healthy, as well as having a pleasant smell that isn’t too medical-like. You will likely see results after only a few washes, making it a great choice for any Havanese who needs relief sooner rather than later. And it makes them look nice and clean too!
- Cost-effective as lasts a long time.
- Pleasant smell.
- Anti-microbial and anti-yeast.
- Lathers well.
- It offers smooth and silky fur.
- More expensive than other fungal shampoos.
- Has to sit on the coat for 10 minutes before washing.
- Both gentle and hypoallergenic.
- Soap-free formula.
- It contains natural moisturizing ingredients.
- Maintains skin hydration.
- Non-stripping and non-drying.
Soap Free & Hypoallergenic – The HyLyt Shampoo for Dogs & Cats is a great choice when it comes to soap-free and hypoallergenic options for Havanese. This formula has the ideal pH balance for their skin, ensuring less cause for irritation, as well as containing emollients for moisture and hydration and protein for conditioning.
If your Havanese suffers from seborrhea (or ‘hotspots’), HyLyt contains essential fatty acids that assist with nourishing the skin, as well as helping control both scaling and flaking caused by seborrhea. HyLyt is both non-drying and non-stripping, as well as promoting a shiny and healthy coat for your Havanese. It may even help with flea and tick products placed on the skin!
- Great lather without having to use a lot of product.
- Smells great.
- Easily rinsed.
- Helps control flaking and scaling caused by seborrhea
- It can potentially benefit topical flea and tick products.
- Not all ingredients are from the USA.
5 Other Top-Rated Havanese Shampoos
Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo is another great option when it comes to controlling shedding. Its formula contains organic shea butter, glycerin, and allantoin, which focus on nourishing your dog’s skin and locking in moisture, and green tea extract and omega-6 fatty acids are used to protect the skin and fix any damage that can cause shedding. Although Havanese don’t shed all that much, they do still require a lot of grooming to keep their hair tangle and knot-free.
Another top-rated dog shampoo for your Havanese is Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo and Conditioner. It smells yummy and still does a good job washing your Havanese, offering a 2-in-1 formula that helps regulate moisture levels on the skin. There is also mango and coconut which help with tangled fur, and papaya, and kiwi to look after dry skin and get your Havanese’s coat looking great.
If you haven’t considered waterless shampoo before now, you definitely should! Ark Naturals offer a great waterless shampoo for those looking for something good without the need for bath time. This shampoo both cleans and refreshes your Havanese without bathing, with the shampoo foam providing everything you need to get your Havanese’s coat looking great. It consists of a natural botanical formula, offering you peace of mind when it comes to the product – and makes your furry friend smell great too.
Not only do Burt’s Bees offer a great range of products suited to humans, but they also offer a range of products for dogs and Havanese. Consisting of natural ingredients including colloidal oat flour and honey is made in the USA and has the ideal pH balance for your Havanese’s skin while nourishing and moisturizing it. It is also made without any artificial fragrances, chemicals, parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, or sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), as well as being bottled in recycled packaging too.
Allerpet Dog Dander Remover is the one to choose if you are looking for a scientifically proven formula that helps remove dander from your Havanese before it becomes airborne. If used weekly, this product has been shown to reduce up to 50% of dander and is simple to apply – place it on a towel and wipe down your canine friend… that’s it! No wet and traumatic bath time is required, and the formula is both non-toxic and non-oily, meaning no nasties are left behind that can attract more allergens.
Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Havanese
See below for the 7 steps to bathing your Havanese:
- Always brush your dog before a bath, as this ensures no water can get caught up in matted hair and cause skin irritations.
- Pour lukewarm water over your Havanese, as dogs’ skin is much more sensitive than humans to water and can be burnt easily.
- Comfort and reassure your dog in a calming, soothing voice.
- Dog shampoo is essential, as human shampoo causes pH issues with dog skin.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Air-dry or use a dog dryer for their hair – using a human air-dryer can cause skin issues.
- Last but not least, reward your Havanese for their bath to ensure they will want to do it next time, whether it’s a treat, playtime, or a simple cuddle.
- What is the best shampoo for Havanese? – To ensure optimal outcomes for your Havanese, the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo and Conditioner is the way to go. It can depend on a range of issues and if your Havanese is facing skin conditions or allergies consult the guide above.
- How often should you bathe your Havanese? – Havanese should be bathed every 1-2 weeks and fully brushed 2-3 times a week.
- Why does my Havanese stink? – Havanese don’t generally stink but, if they do, it is usually due to infections located in skin folds.
- Can I use human shampoos on Havanese? – It is not recommended that you use human shampoo on your Havanese, as it is too acidic for dog skin. Human shampoo can dry out dog skin and make it more susceptible to parasites and bacteria, among other things, as the pH level of dog skin and human skin is different. On the other hand, dog shampoo has the correct alkaline levels, making it a lot more suited to Havenese’s skin.
- Why does my Havanese still stink after a bath? – Sometimes Havaneses can emit a smell after a bath, where an underlying skin condition could be the cause and should always be investigated. Thoroughly drying your Havanese always leads to optimal outcomes though.
Ultimately, choosing a shampoo for your Havanese can be a bit of a daunting task and may take a little trial and error, to begin with. Once you have found a shampoo that suits your Havanese though, they will thank you for it. Having the correct shampoo not only helps a Havanese’s skin and coat but can benefit their overall health and wellbeing in the long-term. So, no matter what your Havanese needs, there is a shampoo ready and waiting!