Havanese are fun, playful, little balls of energy! A native of Cuba, and the national dog of their country, they are also becoming very common in the US. They are quick to learn tricks and are happiest getting lot of attention and praise for their good work. Coming in between 7 to 13 pounds in weight, and less than a foot tall, they make excellent city dogs especially if you’re in a small space.
- Affordable price
- Organic Certified aloe vera
The combination of their playful personalities and their beautiful, long, silky hair can, however, lead to needing frequent baths and grooming. Their hair has minimal shedding and dander and though it is thick it is also very light to combat tropical heat. This type of hair can be prone to mats and need shampooing and brushing on a regular basis. Below we have gathered a list of some of the best options out there for keeping your Havanese looking their best!
What Is The Best Shampoo For Havanese?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo
- Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoos for A Havanese
There are 6 common types of shampoo that are used to bathe A Havanese:
- Medicated – Medicated shampoos are specifically designed to take care of various skin allergies or conditions such as bacterial infections, seborrhoea skin conditions, or the more common dry itchy skin. Both the symptoms, like dry skin flakes, and the underlying condition need to be addressed by the shampoo you use and to get the best one a consultation with a veterinarian can help you decide. Left untended skin conditions can cause a great deal of discomfort or lead to more serious complication so it’s always important to start treating as soon as you notice something. Fortunately, there are a lot of medicated shampoos to choose from and nearly every skin condition can be addressed.
- Hypoallergenic – Many shampoos contain ingredients or chemicals that react as an allergen to Havanese skin. If your Havanese is experiencing milder reactions like dryness or itchiness in their skin, then these allergens in their shampoo may be the cause. A hypoallergenic shampoo may be a better option than a medicated shampoo to ease the symptoms of certain allergen related skin conditions.
- Deodorizing – Skin conditions, yeast infections, and occasionally a reaction to their food can cause the skin of a Havanese to start giving off an unpleasant odor. While the cause of this odor can be treated with medicine or medicated shampoos, a deodorizing shampoo is the best option to get rid of the smell itself. Always be sure to work the shampoo deeply into their coat and down to the skin using a downward motion rather than scrubbing to help avoid tangles.
- Tearless – Using a tearless shampoo can help prevent the burning or stinging sensation that comes when shampoo gets in your dog’s eyes. If your Havanese carries its playful personality over to bath time and frequently winds up with shampoo in their eyes, you may find a tearless shampoo helps to make the experience a better one all around.
- Waterless – For a quicker and easier option than the full bath, a waterless shampoo can give a quick clean without the need for the tub, towels, and blow dryer. Waterless shampoo, as the name implies, does not need water and usually comes as a spray, gel, foam or powder that doesn’t need to rinsed out. These shampoos work by absorbing the excess oil from the skin and leaving their hair clean and better smelling.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Anti-Fungal/Anti-Bacterial – Some of the skin conditions your Havanese could develop are yeast infections, bacterial infections, or mange. In the case of these, using an anti-fungal or anti-bacterial shampoo will help with both treating the underlying issue and help with the scratching that usually results from them. These shampoos are not quite the same as, but share many of the same properties as, medicated shampoos. A number of different shampoos will list anti-fungal and antibacterial in their descriptions even if that is their main purpose.
- Dander Control – Shampoos that offer dander control are a good choice for allergy sufferers as they help reduce the amount of dander given off. Havenese, fortunately, do not have much dander to begin with so dander control may not be a priority for some but if you are an allergy sufferer this type of shampoo will help lessen the amount even more. They frequently have pleasant smelling additives as well to give an extra boost!
- Sensitive Skin – Many dogs suffer from sensitive skin which can result in excessive scratching, dry skin flakes, or even hair loss in patches, if not properly taken care of with frequent grooming. Havanese, as a breed, can also develop a skin condition call sebaceous adenitis, which can lead to scaling and hair loss. Using shampoo for sensitive skin can help alleviate some of the symptoms and if you aren’t certain what to use a veterinarian can give a recommendation.
- Skin & Coat Health – The coat of a Havanese is long, thick and silky yet lightweight overall in order to combat the tropical heat of their native Cuba. Their hair has limited shedding and dander and therefore requires frequent grooming to be kept in the best possible shape. Long hairs of this type can become dull, matted, or tangled but using shampoos focused on skin and coat health can help restore it and keep it looking beautiful. Skin and coat shampoos generally use omega fatty acids to build up the hair strands and follicles so be sure to look for those ingredients in particular.
- Itch & Redness Remedy – If your Havanese develops red or itchy skin and begins scratching excessively there are a number of itch and redness remedy shampoos. Usually a medicated or hypoallergenic shampoo, look for shampoos that specifically help with calming the skin to keep your Havanese from scratching. If the redness or itchiness doesn’t go away quickly a veterinarian can help give a recommendation on how to treat it.
- Calming – Gentle or calming shampoos can help with less severe skin conditions that come from dryness, allergies, or sensitive skin. These shampoos help to alleviate the symptoms, provide quick relief to itchiness, and are gentle on sore and sensitive skin.
Overall Best Shampoo for Havanese
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Havanese|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats ||CHECK PRICE|
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control ||CHECK PRICE|
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Earthbath Shed Control ||CHECK PRICE|
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut ||CHECK PRICE|
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me ||CHECK PRICE|
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover ||CHECK PRICE|
- Soap-free, 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner.
- Contains a wheat protein that is a natural deodorizer
- Contains pure botanical extracts and natural conditioners such as sage, aloe vera, rosemary, lavender, mint, green tea, and chamomile.
- Easy to rinse out of long hair with a rich lather
- Alcohol free and not tested on animals, also safe for humans
Best Overall – Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner is a soothing 2-in-1 combination that lathers well, has a pleasant and calming scent, and is safe for dogs and puppies both. It is soap-free, alcohol-free, and is made from botanical extracts and essential oils to promote healthy skin and hair which is very important for long haired breeds like the Havanese.
This shampoo and conditioner is made in the USA, with green tea, aloe vera, lavender, and mint with a coconut base for healthy hair and is good for dogs with sensitive skin. Buddy Wash can also be used by humans as well, made with quality natural ingredients.
- Contains a naturally deodorizing wheat protein
- Safe for use on adult dogs and puppies
- Promotes healthy hair and soothes irritated skin
- Not tested on animals
- Not a flea repellent
- Should not be used on dogs with a wheat allergy.
- Gentle on sensitive skin
- Certified Organic Aloe Vera Juice provides extra skin hydration and promotes a healthy coat of fur
- Dye- and Paraben-free
- The oatmeal can soothe irritated and sensitive skin
- Oat proteins promote skin hydration, nourishing the skin
Most Affordable Havanese Shampoo – The Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo promotes healthy skin and fur without breaking the bank. The oat protein is soothing for their skin while giving extra hydration to their fur. It also contains a chamomile extract for sensitive skin that works with the oatmeal to calm sensitive skin.
The base scent is a light almond fragrance that can be unappealing once the bath is over, however, the benefits to the skin and hair can outweigh the slight downside. The coconut, oatmeal, and chamomile used are great for irritated and sensitive skin which will leave you with a much calmer dog with a lovely coat.
- Hypoallergenic for sensitive skin
- Good affordability
- Soothes irritated itchy skin
- Leaves coat soft and healthy looking
- Not a tear-free formula, may irritate their eyes
- Once dried, the fur may have a slight odor
- 2-in-1 Shampoo and Conditioner combination
- Both neutralizes and deodorizes the skin and coat
- Both soap- and tear-free, good for wiggly puppies
- No dyes or perfumes
- Light fresh spring water scent after deodorizing any clinging odors
- Safe to use with topical flea and tick medications
Best Havanese Puppy Shampoo – Havanese puppies have beautiful silky fur coats and that means frequent bathing and grooming. Nature’s Miracle offers odor neutralization and deodorizing if your puppy’s skin or fur develops an odor, a common occurrence in long-haired breeds. This 2-in-1 also offers a built in conditioner which is very important for keeping long hair tangle free and healthy.
As a gentle, tearless, shampoo and conditioner this works well with wiggly puppies who may not be used to baths yet. Flea and tick treatments that are applied topically can sometimes with shampoos but Nature’s Miracle can be used safely with them.
- Leaves fur soft and silky
- Gets rid of both the cause of the odor and the odor itself
- Decently priced
- Leaves your puppy smelling fresh and clean
- Gentle and tear-free, good for puppies
- The fresh spring water scent wears off fairly quickly
- Contains a balanced range of essential oils and natural ingredients designed by veterinarians
- Works to remove allergens soothing sensitive, irritated, and itchy skin
- Leaves fur clean and refreshed
- Helps provide quick itch relief
Allergy and Itch Control – Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo can help take care of itchy and irritated skin that is common in Havanese who have allergies or skin conditions. Vet’s Best is made from natural ingredients, including oatmeal, d-limonene, and tea tree oil, all of which are good for very sensitive or irritated skin.
Vet’s Best Allergy Shampoo can also be used with topical flea and tick treatments and will not interact with them. This shampoo works to wash away the allergens causing itchiness and leaves a pleasant smell on your dog’s clean and refreshed fur.
- Works well to remove allergens
- Leaves coat healthy and shiny with a pleasant scent
- Good for sensitive and irritated skin
- A product made in the US
- Will not work up a good lather
- Should not be used on puppies under 3-months old
- Helps to restore the skin barrier with Lipacid, which leaves a lipo-protidic file deposit on the skin that helps regulate inflammation
- Contains Salicyloyl-Phytosphingosine for its anti-inflammation and anti-seborrheic properties to assist with pruritus and itching
- Chlorhexidine and Climbazole are used to control the growth of bacteria and fungi populations.
- A film residue, resistant to rinsing, is left on the skin to protect against irritations and help retain moisture
- An effective treatment for bacterial infection and fungi, which is crucial to keep your Havanese from developing more serious conditions.
Fungal and Bacterial Infections – The Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo works quickly and effectively against bacterial or yeast infections and fungi infestations. Havanese can be prone to some skin conditions, including hotspots or excessive scratching, which can lead to infections or result from one. At a relatively high price, it, fortunately, doesn’t take much to work up a good lather. Many of Duoxo’s ingredients, 3% chlorhexidine, 0.5% climbazole, and 0.05% phytosphingosine, all help moisturize and care for severe skin conditions.
Aside from its medical benefits, Duoxo is also good for leaving your dog’s coat healthy and shiny with a pleasant after scent. Relief for your dog’s skin should happen within a few washes. Warning: Do not swallow and avoid contact with the eyes. Hazardous to humans and animals if ingested.
- Only uses a small amount for each wash
- Leaves coat healthy and clean
- Good for multiple kinds of infections
- Good lather and easily rinsed
- Contains multiple moisturizers for soothing skin
- On the more expensive side of medicated shampoos
- Need to wait 10 minutes before rinsing
- Hypoallergenic and gentle on skin
- Does not contain soap
- Made from natural moisturizers
- Helps promote and maintain skin hydration
- Contains the ideal pH balance
Soap Free and Hypoallergenic – HyLyt Shampoo for Dogs & Cats works well for dogs with sensitive skin or skin allergies, which Havanese can develop. Reduces irritation by having an ideal pH balance for your pet’s skin. It also contains emollients for moisture and hydration as well as protein for conditioning, which is important for long-haired breeds like the Havanese.
HyLyt contains essential fatty acids that work great for dogs suffering from seborrhea by providing skin nourishment and helping to control scaling and flaking. This shampoo has a non-stripping, non-drying formula that works to leave their coat healthy, silky, and shiny.
- Only a small amount needed for a good lather
- Light, pleasant smell that doesn’t fade too quickly
- Washes out easily, important with long-haired Havanese
- Works to control flaking and scaling common to some skin conditions
- May potentially provide a benefit to topical flea and tick products.
- Some ingredients come from outside of the US
5 Other Top-Rated Havanese Shampoos
Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo works great to control shedding, which can be important when your dog has thick or long fur or if you are allergic. To nourish your dog’s skin and lock in moisture, it contains organic shea butter, glycerine, and allantoin. Green tea extract and omega-6 fatty acids help protect the skin and prevent shedding by healing the skin. Havanese do not shed very much, making them a good choice for allergy sufferers, but their long hair does require frequent grooming and brushing.
Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo and Conditioner is a highly rated dog shampoo that would work well for your Havanese. The scent it leaves in their hair is very appealing, and the conditioner included with it will help keep their long hair tangle and mat-free. The formula works to help regulate moisture in the skin, with the mango and coconut to help with tangled fur, and papaya and kiwi to repair dry skin.
When you need to give your Havanese a quick freshen up, consider a waterless shampoo like Ark Naturals. Ark Naturals uses a natural botanical formula and can clean your dog’s fur by absorbing excess oil and dirt without the need for a lengthy bath and blow-dry. Once the foam has worked into the fur, it will leave it clean, refreshed, and great smelling. With their long hair, Havanese can benefit greatly from quick in-between waterless baths to keep oils down and tangles from forming.
Burt’s Bees is perhaps most well-known for human health and beauty supplies, but they have a wide range of pet products as well. Contains natural ingredients such as oat flour and honey, and made in the USA, Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo also has the ideal pH balance for skincare. There are no artificial fragrances or parabens, and comes in recycled packaging.
To help remove dander and cut down on the allergens sent into the air, try using Allerpet Dog Dander Remover. Using a scientifically proven formula, this remover can reduce up to 50% of dander if used once a week. This is not a shampoo that requires a long bathing process. In fact, all you do is wipe down your dog’s fur with it using a towel. Havanese do not generate a lot of dander, but people who are prone to allergies can appreciate having even a small amount removed if possible.
Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Havanese
Bathing your Havanese in 7 Steps:
- Brushing your dog before the bath can help prevent tangles from forming and keeps water from getting into thick mats where it won’t dry properly.
- Hot water can burn a dog’s skin as it is more sensitive than a person’s. It is always best to use lukewarm water.
- Provide a constant stream of reassurance using a calm, soothing voice
- Human shampoo is not good for a dog’s skin. Always be sure to use dog shampoo.
- Be sure to rinse the shampoo out completely.
- Blot dry with a towel. For Havanese, rubbing with a towel can cause tangles or damage the hair. Then use a dog appropriate blow-dryer. The high heat from human blow-dryers can cause skin problems.
- Make the bath as fun an experience as possible and reward them at the end with something they enjoy like a treat or a cuddle. This will help make sure they aren’t afraid of the bath and will be more ready to jump in next time.
- What is the best shampoo for Havanese? The Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo and Conditioner has the best formula for regular washing needs that will leave your Havanese with a healthy, shiny coat. If your Havanese has a skin condition or other factors that need to be considered, please consult the various options for more specialized shampoos.
- How often should you bathe your Havanese? Every 1 – 2 weeks for a full bath and brushed 2 – 3 times per week will keep your Havanese looking their best.
- Why does my Havanese stink? Havanese, and many other breeds, can develop skin conditions that cause excess oils to be produced, which leads to an odor.
- Can I use human shampoos on Havanese? Human shampoo can be too acidic for use on your Havanese and is therefore not recommended. Human shampoo can easily dry out their skin, causing itchiness, flakes, and making their skin more susceptible to bacteria and other skin conditions. Dog shampoos are formulated to work correctly with a dog’s skin, and many contain ingredients to promote healthy skin.
- Why does my Havanese still stink after a bath? Be sure to dry your dog down to the skin thoroughly. With long-haired breeds like the Havanese, water can get trapped under the fur and sometimes lead to an unpleasant smell. There may also be an underlying skin condition causing the odor, which may need to be investigated.
With so many options to choose from, finding the best shampoo for your Havanese can seem overwhelming. By keeping their specific requirements in mind, you can start to narrow the field down. Their long silky hair needs quite a bit of care to keep it looking its best, but a healthy coat and skin are essential to a dog’s overall health and wellbeing. Once you’ve found the right shampoo, though it may take a few attempts, they will be glad you took the time.