Siberian Huskies are a hardy and beautiful breed of dogs that originated from the cold and frigid northern climates. They have a multi-colored coat that is thick and provides protection from cold weather and harsh winds. Unfortunately, under their beautiful thick coats is unprotected skin that lacks pigmentation to defend from ultraviolet light or pernicious summer insects; though, there are definitely dog shampoos that can help with these concerns.
For Huskies during the winter months, their fur is a woolish and thick undercoat that is designed to protect from the cold. In the Spring, most owners already know that Huskies will shed in large swaths of fur, which will reveal their thinner but still beautiful summer coat. This shedding process can sometimes take several months, but there are shed-control dog shampoos that can make the process more manageable. Husky owners will also benefit from giving their canines a habitual brushing and combing each week, as well as regular baths. Under that summer coat is also thin unpigmented skin that is not naturally prepared for sunnier weather that can dry out their skin and cause burns. There is a lot of information available on preventing these issues and making sure your Husky is as healthy as can be; so, we have prepared a comprehensive guide on how to give your Husky the shampoo and grooming experience they need.
What Is The Best Shampoo For Huskies?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats, Almond Scent
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural Puppy
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Essential Fatty Acids
- Earthbath Shed Control Green Tea & Awapuhi
- TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me Waterless
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo with Colloidal Oat
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoos for a Husky
- Medicated: Medicated dog shampoos are generally for dogs suffering from skin problems such as rashes or habitual itching. These dog shampoos have been specially formulated to deal with these skin issues, and provide treatment and relief. The ingredients that are typically found in medicated shampoos include: eucalyptus oil, aloe, tea tree oil, coal tar, and peppermint oil.
- Hypoallergenic: A hypoallergenic dog shampoo will help with allergies, but contrary to common belief, the allergies the dog shampoo is designed to help, are the allergies of the dog, not the owner. Just like humans, dogs can suffer from environmental sensitivities and allergies that aggravate their skin and eyes. Some dog breeds, like huskies, are known for having extremely sensitive skin and fur. The best hypoallergenic dog shampoo will boast helpful proteins and essential oils that encourage the repair and rebuilding of damaged coats.
- Deodorizing: A deodorizing dog shampoo is designed to improve the overall smell of your canine. While some dog shampoos can leave your pup with just a wet dog smell, a deodorizing shampoo has active deodorizing elements that remain on your dog’s coat after a bath is completed. Some owners with especially musky pups will combine a deodorizing shampoo with pet cologne and perfume sprays.
- Tearless: Tearless dog shampoos are a unique type of shampoo that when coming into contact with dog eyes they will not cause burning or irritation. These shampoos are most often prescribed to puppies as the eyes of puppies are especially sensitive to shampoos. Additionally, as your puppy is just learning to experience the world, it is generally considered good practice to make their first experience with dog baths as pleasant as possible. So, to prevent a puppy from fearing baths, and to make sure it is a pleasant experience, tearless dog shampoo can be a great choice. That said, there are measurable differences between human and dog eyes, including salinity and pH levels, so make sure to stick to tearless dog shampoos and not a tearless shampoo for people or children.
- Waterless: A waterless dog shampoos will come in a powder spray or a spray-on liquid. Unlike a standard dog shampoo that needs to be rinsed out of your dog’s coat with water, a waterless shampoo can be applied to your dog’s coat, rubbed and massaged into their fur, and then towel dried away. Waterless shampoos can also come in subvarieties, like waterless tearless shampoo and waterless deodorizing dog shampoo.
- Shed Control: Shed control dog shampoos are great for heavy shedding breeds like Huskies. These shampoos are specially formulated to keep your pet’s coat cool and encourage the health of the skin beneath the coat with essential oils, amino acids, and antioxidants. Combining shed control shampoos with regular baths and brushing can make a difference with shedding huskies, especially during the changing of seasons.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Anti-Fungal/Anti Bacterial: Antibacterial dog shampoos are important if you suspect your dog is suffering from a bacterial infection or its skin presents with fungal growth. These shampoos can be used to fight ringworm, parasitic lesions, and other infections. Surprisingly, these shampoos sometimes will contain purposeful additives that leave your dog’s skin dry. This process may be helpful for dogs with bacterial infections, as bacteria prefer to grow in areas with moisture and warmth. You should look for antibacterial shampoos with ingredients like salicylic acid or trizEDTA, or natural ingredients like oatmeal, tea tree oil, and aloe vera.
- Dander Control: A dander control dog shampoo is designed to limit the amount of dander that is released by your pet. Dander is the dead skin skills and dried saliva that fall from your pet’s skin over time, and are then allowed to float through the air and into the human respiratory system. Dander control shampoos work to actively reduce the number of skin flakes that a dog will shed, and thereby reduces the amount of dander in your home. As an added bonus, many of these shampoos also provide itch relief, which will prevent your pet from scraping the dead skin cells off and releasing them into the home environment.
- Sensitive Skin: Sensitive skin dog shampoo is a less harsh version of standard dog shampoo that caters to dogs with extra skin sensitivity. Many dogs have sensitive skin, and unlike humans, who commonly have 10 skin layers to protect the body, while dogs only have 3. This lack of skin layers before nerve endings adds to the likelihood of skin sensitivity. A sensitive skin shampoo will include significant moisturizers that will strengthen the skin layers. These shampoos will also have a mild pH balance that is gentle on a dog’s skin, usually with a pH from 6.5 to 7.5.
- Skin & Coat Health: Dog shampoos that focus on skin and coat health are shampoos that offer coat nourishing ingredients like lemongrass, as well as skin supportive ingredients like aloe vera and oatmeal. Additionally, some of these shampoos will also whiten the fur of dog breeds with white fur that has begun to yellow or lease its white coloring from age.
- Itch & Redness Remedy: Dog shampoo for itchy skin is focused on treating dogs with irritated skin that has become itchy or red. Some of these shampoos have active ingredients that will cool the skin as well as ingredients that calm the skin, like oatmeal and essential oils.
- Calming: Calming dog shampoos seek to soothe and provide a bit of aromatherapy to dog baths. With some dogs a bit skittish about baths, and others a little too hyper for a splash-free bathing experience, a calming dog shampoo can help make dog baths a calmer experience. These shampoos will contain calming ingredients like green tea extract and Lavender.
Overall Best Shampoo for a Husky
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Huskies|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats ||CHECK PRICE|
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control ||CHECK PRICE|
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Earthbath Shed Control ||CHECK PRICE|
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut ||CHECK PRICE|
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me ||CHECK PRICE|
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover ||CHECK PRICE|
- Soap-free shampoo and conditioner blend that builds a rich lather that rinses easily, leaving skin silky soft and shiny.
- Made with pure botanical extracts and natural conditioners like sage, aloe vera, rosemary, green tea, and chamomile.
- Coconut-based liquid is completely alcohol-free and made with lavender and mint to make bathtime a soothing experience.
- Wheat protein is a natural deodorizer and it’s safe for frequent use, even on puppies who know how to get dirty.
- Not tested on animals, and safe for humans when used as directed.
This dog shampoo is perfect for Huskies and the Husky coat. It offers a specialized blend of ingredients that are beneficial to a Husky coat, like Vitamin E and C, which will make their fur extra soft and full. The shampoo also helps husky skin, which is often sensitive and easily sunburned due to a lack of pigmentation under Husky fur, by providing a cooling effect with its mint, and moisturization with aloe vera. Additionally, Buddy Wash shampoo doesn’t try to sneak any counterproductive ingredients like alcohols that dry the skin, or artificial dyes that can aggravate pets with skin sensitivity.
- Vitamin E for Coat health
- Cooling Mint and Aloe Vera for skin Health
- Calming Aromatherapy from lavender and green tea
- Natural wheat deodorizer
- Limited size options of 16oz bottle or 1 gallon
- Nourishing oatmeal shampoo gently cleans and soothes dry skin. Suitable for use on dogs and cats.
- Oat protein works to actively hydrate, protect, and nourish dry skin and coat. With soothing chamomile extract.
- Lathering coconut and plant-derived cleansers are gentle on the skin and coat.
- Made with Certified Organic Aloe Vera juice to help naturally hydrate the skin and coat.
- Zero dyes or parabens. Almond scent adds a light fragrance for some “fresh appeal”.
Most Affordable Husky Shampoo – For the most affordable dog shampoo that is still great for your Husky, Frisco’s oatmeal shampoo is a great choice. This shampoo offers skin moisturization and hydration with oatmeal, oat proteins, and organic aloe vera, with special care taken to maintain the proper pH balance for Husky skin. This Frisco shampoo also contains chamomile extract, which is used to soothe skin irritation and relies on a mild coconut cleanser.
- Skin Moisturizers from Aloe Vera and Oatmeal
- Right pH Balance for Husky Skin
- Mild Coconut Cleanser
- No Calming Aromatherapy ingredients
- No Coat helping Vitamins
- The 4 in 1 benefits of this shampoo and conditioner include neutralizing a wide variety of odors, deodorizing, skin and coat cleansing, and rich conditioning
- Gentle, tearless, no dyes or perfumes formula perfect for Puppies, especially ones with allergies! Both of you will enjoy the Fresh spring waters scent making bath time a supremely enjoyable experience
- Soap-free and is safe to use with spot-on flea and tick products, contains no dyes or parabens and is ideal for sensitive skin
- Made in the USA and Safe to use with topical products
Best Husky Puppy Shampoo – This shampoo is perfect for s Husky Puppy that is just getting started with dog baths and shampoos. The shampoo is a tearless formula, which is critical for the extra sensitive eyes of puppies, and for starting their bathing career on the right foot. Add to that, that this shampoo boasts cocoa surfactant to enhance the husky coat, and Aloe Vera to protect Husky skin, and this shampoo is an easy choice for Husky puppies.
- Tearless Formula
- Fur and Coat enhancing ingredients
- Aloe Vera Skin moisturizer
- No calming or aromatherapy ingredients
- Allergy itch relief shampoo for your dog.
- Crafted to leave your furry buddy smelling spa-day fresh.
- Veterinarian formulated with a key blend of natural ingredients and essential oils.
- Includes oatmeal, d-limonene, and tea tree oil that will not affect topical flea and tick treatments.
- Designed to soothe sensitive skin and alleviate itchiness by washing away allergens.
Allergy and Itch Control Shampoo for Huskies – To remove allergens and soothe itchy skin on your Husky, Vet’s Best is a great shampoo for the job. The shampoo has skin-soothing ingredients like oatmeal and tea tree oil, as well as d-limonene, which is derived from citrus fruits and has anti-inflammatory properties that should calm aggravated hotspots on your pet. While formulated to not interfere with topical flea and tick treatments, this shampoo also contains Citronella oil, which is a great addition, as some insects will be naturally attracted to skin that is raw or broken due to uncontrolled scratching. As an added perk, this shampoo includes lavender oil and an herbal scent blend, so even an itchy husky should feel calmer and at ease during bath time.
- Skin Soothing Oatmeal and Tea Tree Oil
- Anti-Inflammatory Ingredients
- Insect Repelling Citronella
- Calming Lavender Aromatherapy
- Cannot be used on dogs younger than 12 Weeks
- Chlorhexidine and climbazole helps control bacteria and fungi populations.
- Lipacid helps restore the skin barrier by moisturizing and leaving a lipo-protidic file deposited on the skin. This also helps regulate associated seborrhea and inflammation.
- Phytosphingosine – salicyloyl is a modified pro-ceramide which possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-seborrheic properties, helping eliminate pruritus and itching.
- Deposits long-lasting film resists rinsing and protects from irritations and loss of moisture.
- Treating itchy skin is very important as it can affect your pet’s quality of life. Prolonged itching can lead to injury, infection, or even scarring, so it’s best to treat appropriately.
Fungal and Bacterial Infections – If your pet is suffering from a fungal or bacterial infection, you will need effective ingredients that protect their skin and reduce inflammation. Our pick is Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo for its use of Lipacid and Salicyloyl. Salicyloyl is used in shampoos to break up oil and remove skin flakes so a sore can heal, while Lipacid is an effective anti-inflammatory that calms an infection and reduces swelling. Both of these ingredients assist in healing and stop negative trends in sores. This shampoo also has Chlorhexidine, which is a disinfectant and antiseptic that is used for skin disinfection. Chlorhexidine is even used by surgeons to disinfect medical equipment. The combination of these ingredients is perfect for any Husky plagued with a pesky fungal or bacterial problem.
- Powerful disinfectant and antiseptic ingredients
- Lipacid and Salicyoyll anti-inflammatories
- Both anti-microbial and anti-yeast
- Even though medically focused, still has fragrance ingredients
- Strong that is good for furry dogs like huskies, but too much for short hairs.
- A bit pricier than competing brands
- Gentle and hypoallergenic
- Soap-free, non-stripping and non-drying formula
- Helps control flaking and scaling caused by seborrhea
- Contains natural moisturizing ingredients for maintaining skin hydration
- May benefit topical flea and tick products
Soap Free & Hypoallergenic – For extra-sensitive pets that suffer from allergies, this shampoo uses a soap-free formula that moisturizes the skin and won’t bother sensitive-skinned dogs like huskies. The shampoo also has the proper pH balance for husky skin, which is especially important if huskies with allergies. Also, for huskies that itch when they are having an allergic reaction, this shampoo has key ingredients that prevent flaking skin, and are able to hydrate Husky skin.
- Proper PH Balance for Husky Skin
- Proper ingredients to not irritate sensitive skin
- Protects from flaking and itching.
- Includes essential fatty acids that strengthen skin over time
- No aromatherapy from lavender or tea ingredients
- Shampoo smell only stays with a dog a few hours
5 Other Top Rated Husky Shampoos
This is another great shed control shampoo that is great for huskies. It has quality ingredients to control shedding, and help Husky skin stay strong and healthy. It even has detangling ingredients, so brushing and combing your husky will be a bit less stressful.
For a shampoo that has a great focus on fur and coat health, this TropiClean dog shampoo has all the right ingredients. With Vitamin E as well as mango and pomegranate extract this dog shampoo encourages healthy fur growth with a lovely scent. Plus, its plant-based cleanser is soap-free; so, even dogs with sensitive skin can benefit from this dog shampoo.
Another solid pick for waterless shampoos is this dog shampoo by Ark Naturals. This shampoo is waterless, rinseless, and can be applied directly to your husky’s coat. It also has nice citrus notes, as well as ingredients to provide moisturization to your pet’s skin, and can do so even without the mess of water or baths.
For skin moisturization and itch prevention Burt’s Bees Oatmeal shampoo is easy to recommend. The mild oatmeal does a perfect job of moisturizing dry skin, while the honey can add an extra bit of shine to a husky’s coat. This shampoo also makes sure to maintain a proper pH balance for Husky skin, while including ingredients like Green Tea to strengthen husky hair follicles.
To limit the dander released into your home, Allerpet Dog Dander Remover can do the job if you stick to a consistent schedule of application. The dander removing dog shampoo reduces dander if used every 3-4 days, and includes substantial amounts of aloe vera and other skin hydrating ingredients so the increased bathing routine won’t dry out your husky’s precious skin. If dander is a problem in your household, this is a great pick.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the best shampoo for Huskies? – The best husky shampoo will lean heavily on skin moisturization and strengthening as Huskies, while known for being working dogs, are also ironically know for getting sunburns. This is due to a lack of skin pigmentation under their coat. Accordingly, the best shampoo will also have ingredients that encourage a healthy full coat, like Vitamins E and C. As Huskies are also known to have lots of pent up energy, calming ingredients in a shampoo, like Lavender, can be a great way of making sure you get to stay try while your pup is scambling in the bath.
- How often should you bathe your Husky? – For the best results on your Husky’s coat, you should brush them once a week, and a bath once a month. Bathing a Husky more than once a month can lead to a loss of oils that protect their skin. Also, note that this does not apply if your Husky is suffering from a condition that requires medicated shampoo.
- Why does my Husky stink? – If your Husky is a bit stinky it is usually because their fur has picked up dirt and grime, and those particles, while not visible, have fallen beneath the coat and resurface into the air when your dog scratches, rubs against objects, or tries to shake it off.
- Can I use human shampoos on Huskies? – Unlike other dogs, you should not use human shampoo on dogs or vice versa. Shampoos are pH balanced for the skin of the user. If human shampoo is used on a Husky, it can cause a burning sensation that may cause your husky to want to avoid future baths.
- Why does my Husky still stink after a bath? – Well, a Husky can stink for a variety of reasons, but the most common reason a Husky will stink, even after a bath, is because somewhere on their body they have fungal growth or bacterial infection. When the bacteria perform digestion it releases a gas with an unpleasant odor. To fight these organisms, you should use an anti-bacterial or anti-fungal shampoo.
Your Husky is an amazing animal and I hope our guide helped aim you in the right direction when selecting a dog shampoo. Remember to focus on keeping that vulnerable unpigmented skin moisturized, and for best bathing results, also look for a little Vitamin E to keep that coat healthy.