- What Is The Best Shampoo For Labradoodles?
- 6 Different Types of Shampoos for Labradoodle
- 6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Overall Best Shampoo for Labradoodles
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats, Almond Scent
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural Puppy Shampoo & Conditioner
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Essential Fatty Acids for Dogs & Cats
- 5 Other Top-Rated Labradoodle Shampoos
- Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Labradoodle
- Frequently Asked Questions:
Labradoodles are a great choice for homes of all kinds, with their happy faces and gorgeous coats always bringing a smile to those around them. Labradoodles are, by breed, however, very active and intelligent, meaning they will likely need a bath or three throughout their time.
So, to help you pick out the best shampoo to suit your Labradoodle, we have put together some of the best shampoos currently on the market, no matter your needs. From sensitive skin to allergies to a shiny coat, we have something for you. We always recommend speaking to your local veterinarian if you have any concerns, to ensure your dog’s safety.
What Is The Best Shampoo For Labradoodles?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo
- Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo with Colloidal Oat
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoos for Labradoodle
There are 6 common types of shampoo that are used to bathe Labradoodle:
- Medicated – One of the best ways to manage or treat skin concerns or skin allergies is to use a medicated shampoo. Common concerns or conditions such as bacterial infections, seborrhoea skin conditions, or even just itchy/dry skin require a shampoo that will ease some of the discomforts and help treat the underlying condition. Medicated shampoos are exactly what could be required, and it is best to have a consultation with a vet to find the most appropriate medicated shampoo that can manage the concern or condition. There is a great range of medicated shampoos for almost all skin conditions, so there is something for everyone.
- Hypoallergenic – One thing to be wary of is that some shampoos contain allergens that will cause irritation to Labradoodle’s skin. Hypoallergenic shampoo may be the best path for a Labradoodle especially if they suffer from skin conditions related to allergens. Hypo-Allergenic shampoos could help settle your Labradoodles skin without the need for medicated shampoo if the skin condition is related to certain allergens.
- Deodorizing – From time to time a Labradoodle can develop a bit of an odor that isn’t very pleasant. To help combat this and eventually alleviate it, there are deodorizing shampoos available. Deodorizing shampoos are used when dog odors cannot be controlled by regular shampoo, and you need a bit of extra help in combating some of the awful smells coming from your labradoodle. A deodorizing shampoo will help clean all the way down to your Labradoodle’s skin and nullify some of the strong odors that can develop.
- Tearless – A Tearless Shampoo is not too dissimilar to the human tearless shampoo, as it helps with the sensation of burning or stinging of the eyes. By using tearless shampoo, even the most cautious of Labradoodles can avoid any of the issues of getting shampoo in their eyes. By using tearless shampoo, the shampooing and cleaning process can become a far more enjoyable one for both owner and Labradoodle.
- Waterless – An alternative to the full bathing and shampooing experience, there is waterless shampoo. This type of shampoo is a speedier and easier process than the full bathing option. Waterless shampoo does not require water and it is usually available in gel, foam, spray, or powder forms. It does not need to be washed out and will draw out the excess oil and dirt from your Labradoodles’ skin.
- Shed Control – To help control a Labradoodles shedding there is a shampoo that has been created that will help manage the issue. It is a very common problem for the Labradoodle and uses the power of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. These two fatty acids have been proven to help reduce the amount of shedding a Labradoodle does and strengthen its coat.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
There are also 6 common special health feature shampoos that can be used for Labradoodles:
- Anti-Fungal/Anti-Bacterial – An ideal shampoo that contains anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties are usually those that are classified as medicated shampoos. If your Labradoodle is suffering from yeast or bacterial infections, or mange, anti-fungal and/or anti-bacterial shampoos can offer great relief from itching, as well as potentially providing a cure for the underlying issue. Check your shampoo label to see if they have anti-fungal and/or anti-bacterial properties as many do.
- Dander Control – If you have allergies, then dander control is something that is of great interest to you. Dander control may not fully get rid of all pet/Labradoodle allergens however it does combat them to provide a great Labradoodle owning experience. A great thing about dander control shampoos is that they also smell great!
- Sensitive Skin – Sensitive skin is a common occurrence in Labradoodles and if required, the correct shampoo must be used otherwise it can exacerbate the skin condition. Atopic Dermatitis is a common issue for Labradoodles and therefore a sensitive skin shampoo is required, these can often come as medicated shampoos as well. If in doubt, check in with your veterinarian for the appropriate shampoo.
- Skin & Coat Health – One of the best thing about a Labradoodle is their lovely thick and curly coat, and the best shampoos are ideal in ensuring a great skin and coat feel and ensure you can keep your Labradoodles coat from becoming dull or irritated and red.
- Itch & Redness Remedy – A common concerning skin issue is itchiness and redness, and this could be due to a range of factors. There might be an underlying issue or a food/skin allergy causing this issue and there are several shampoos designed to soothe and treat these issues. These shampoos are ideal in treating itchiness and redness as well as the possibility of scratching and sores. More often than not these shampoos are also medicated or hypoallergenic which will most likely soothe the issues faced by your Labradoodle.
- Calming – Last, of all, a calming shampoo can be ideal in treating mild issues for your labradoodle. Calming shampoos offer similar benefits to the itchiness and redness/medicated/hypoallergenic shampoos but in a milder form.
Overall Best Shampoo for Labradoodles
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Labradoodles|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats||CHECK PRICE|
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control||CHECK PRICE|
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Earthbath Shed Control||CHECK PRICE|
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut ||CHECK PRICE|
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me||CHECK PRICE|
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover||CHECK PRICE|
- A 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner soap-free formula.
- It offers a rich lather easily and is simple to wash off.
- Ingredients include natural conditioners and pure botanical extracts such as sage, aloe vera, rosemary, green tea, and chamomile.
- Completely alcohol-free.
- Coconut based and combined with lavender and mint, offering a soothing bath experience.
Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner is a great, 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner for your Labradoodle at any age. It offers a soap-free formula, made up of cosmetic-grade botanical extracts and essential oils, so your pup will both smell great and feel fresh. There is also a green tea, aloe vera, lavender, mint… the list goes on, offering a soothing bath time experience.
Let’s not forget that this shampoo is also made in the USA and contains only simple and natural ingredients, meaning no harsh chemicals are being put on your Labradoodles skin at any time. Buddy Wash shampoos are also safe for humans, as well as animals, and offer nourishing ingredients to suit your dog’s needs.
- The inclusion of wheat protein in the shampoo is a natural deodorizer.
- Wheat protein is safe for frequent use on your furry friends (even puppies!).
- Not tested on animals and is safe for humans when used as directed.
- Leaves skin silky, soft and shiny.
- Made in the USA.
- This formula does not offer flea repellence.
- It can cause issues for dogs with a wheat allergy.
- It does not contain any dyes or parabens.
- It contains oatmeal to soothe skin.
- Actively hydrates protects, and nourishes the skin through the use of oat protein.
- Gentle shampoo.
- It contains Certified Organic Aloe Vera Juice to assist with skin hydration and coat health.
Most Affordable Labradoodle Shampoo – Not only does the Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs and Cats offer an awesome price point, but it also offers a range of benefits for your Labradoodle. From oat protein to hydrate and protect your dog’s skin to chamomile extract to soothe it, this shampoo can provide your Lab with a soft coat and great skin health (without hurting your pocket).
This shampoo contains a light almond fragrance however some have suggested that it is not that appealing after bath time is over, however all in all your fluffy friend will be looking fresh and clean in so many ways. And, let’s not forget the coconut and plant-derived cleaners, which are gentle and kind on both a Labradoodle’s skin and coat. It sounds like a win-win.
- Affordable price point.
- It helps relieve itching.
- Soft coat following washing.
- Not tear-free.
- Can leave an odor after bathing.
- 2-in-1 gentle shampoo and conditioner.
- Offers 4-in-1 benefits including neutralizing odors, deodorizing, skin and coat cleansing, and rich conditioning.
- Tearless and soap-free formula that is ideal for sensitive skin.
- Does not contain any dyes or perfumes.
- Fresh spring waters scent.
- Made in the USA and safe to use with topical products.
Best Labradoodle Puppy Shampoo – If you have been lucky enough to introduce a gorgeous Labradoodle puppy into your life, you want to know that you are using the best shampoo to keep them fresh, clean, and looking great. Nature’s Miracle offers great odor control, 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner for your newest furry family member offering odor neutralization, deodorizing, skin and coat cleaning and conditioning
It is also tearless, gentle and does not contain any dyes or perfumes, as well as safe to use with any spot-on tick and flea products you may be using. Nature’s Miracle is also soap-free and is a natural Cocoa Surfactant shampoo, meaning it offers a thoroughly clean as well as reduced static electricity.
- Offers a soft and silky coat.
- Great odor deodorization.
- Affordable price point.
- Makes your puppy smell great.
- Gentle on puppy skin.
- Good scent does not last long.
- Designed to wash away allergens, which results in the soothing of sensitive skin and improves itchiness.
- Formulated by veterinarians with a balanced range of essential oils and natural ingredients.
- Designed to leave your Labradoodle smelling fresh and clean.
- Offers itch relief for both allergies and skin irritations.
Allergy and Itch Control Shampoo for Labradoodles – If you are looking for a great allergy and itch control shampoo for your Labradoodle, Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo is a great option for both. Containing oatmeal, d-limonene, and tea tree oil, this shampoo offers the perfect balance of natural ingredients to help out sensitive skin and help relieve itchiness.
The combination of ingredients do not affect topical flea and tick treatments, making this a good option for your Labradoodle at any time of year. It also makes your furry family member smell great, while washing away any allergens that could be causing problems.
- Super silky and shiny coat.
- Do not have to leave on your dog for extended periods of time.
- Great scent.
- Suitable for both sensitive skin and skin allergies.
- Made in the USA.
- Does not lather well.
- It cannot be used on puppies under the age of 12 weeks.
- Contains both chlorhexidine and climbazole – both of which assist with bacteria control and control of fungi populations.
- Lipacid assists with restoring the skin barrier through moisturizing and providing a lipo-protidic file deposit.
- Seborrhea and inflammation are regulated through the use of Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl and lipacid as well.
- A film that offers irritation protection and defies rinsing is deposited on the skin after use to avoid moisture loss.
- Formula contains 3.0% Chlorhexidine Gluconate, 0.5% Climbazole, and 0.05% Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl.
Fungal and Bacterial Infections – The Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo is a great option if your Labradoodle is suffering from skin inflammation caused by bacteria or a yeast infection, as well as seborrhea (or ‘hotspots’). It lathers up really well without having to use a lot of product which, considering its higher price bracket, is a great thing as it lasts a lot longer! Duoxo contains ingredients with a range of moisturizing ingredients such as chlorhexidine, climbazole, and phytosphingosine to help with both superficial and severe skin conditions.
Not only does it help with skin irritations, but it also leaves your Labradoodles coat feeling super smooth and healthy, as well as having a pleasant smell that isn’t too medical-like. You will likely see results after only a few washes, making it a great choice for any Lab who needs relief sooner rather than later. And it makes them look nice and clean too!
- Anti-microbial and anti-yeast.
- Lathers well.
- Cost-effective, as lasts a long time.
- Pleasant smell.
- It offers smooth and silky fur.
- More expensive than other fungal shampoos.
- Has to sit on the coat for 10 minutes before washing.
- Both gentle and hypoallergenic.
- Soap-free formula.
- Contains natural moisturizing ingredients.
- Maintains skin hydration.
- Non-stripping and non-drying.
Soap Free & Hypoallergenic – The HyLyt Shampoo for Dogs & Cats is a great choice when it comes to soap-free and hypoallergenic options for Labradoodles. This formula has the ideal pH balance for their skin, ensuring less cause for irritation, as well as containing emollients for moisture and hydration and protein for conditioning.
If your Lab suffers from seborrhea (or ‘hotspots’), HyLyt contains essential fatty acids that assist with nourishing the skin, as well as helping control both scaling and flaking caused by seborrhea. HyLyt is both non-drying and non-stripping, as well as promoting a shiny and healthy coat for your Lab. It may even help with flea and tick products placed on the skin!
- Great lather without having to use a lot of product.
- Smells great.
- Easily rinsed.
- Helps control flaking and scaling caused by seborrhea
- Can potentially benefit topical flea and tick products.
- Not all ingredients are from the USA.
5 Other Top-Rated Labradoodle Shampoos
Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo is another great option when it comes to controlling shedding. Its formula contains organic shea butter, glycerin, and allantoin, which focus on nourishing your dog’s skin and locking in moisture, and green tea extract and omega-6 fatty acids are used to protect the skin and fix any damage that can cause shedding. As Labradoodles shed a lot, this shampoo is definitely worth considering.
Another top-rated dog shampoo for your Labradoodle is Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo and Conditioner. It smells yummy and still does a good job washing your Labradoodle, offering a 2-in-1 formula that helps regulate moisture levels on the skin. There is also mango and coconut which help with tangled fur, and papaya, and kiwi to look after dry skin and get your labradoodle’s coat looking great.
If waterless shampoo is more your idea of a clean Labradoodle, Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me Waterless Shampoo is the option for you. This shampoo foam does not require water a ‘bath time’, making it a refreshing change to many other choices. It cleans and moisturizes your Labradoodle’s coat, with its natural botanical formula making sure they both look and smell nice in no time at all. And it’s super easy too!
If you are looking for a dog shampoo from a familiar brand, you may have come across Burt’s Bees before. They offer a range of amazing products for humans, but also provide great dog shampoo too. Known as Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo, it is made up of natural ingredients such as colloidal oat flour and honey, ensuring you are putting safe and correct products on your Labradoodles skin. This shampoo is pH balanced and does not contain any artificial fragrances, chemicals, parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, or sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), as well as offering great moisturizing and helps with a healthy coat as well.
Allerpet Dog Dander Remover is a scientifically proven formula to assist in the removal of dander from your Labradoodle before becoming airborne. Shown to reduce up to 50% of dander when used once a week, it is super easy to apply, and no bath time is needed – simply place Allerpet on a towel and wipe down your Labradoodle. This product is both non-toxic and non-oily, meaning it doesn’t allow the attraction for more allergens.
Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Labradoodle
See below for the 7 steps to bathing your Labradoodle:
- Brush your Labradoodle before a bath, if you do not, matted hair could form and hold water.
- Pour lukewarm water over them, as dogs’ skin is much more sensitive than humans’ water and can be burnt easily. Tip – place cotton balls in your dog’s ears if you are concerned about water getting into them.
- Use a calming and comforting voice to reassure your Labradoodle.
- Do not use human shampoo, only dog shampoo due to pH issues with Labradoodles skin.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Use a dog-dryer or air-dry your labradoodle.
- Labradoodles love to be rewarded, so reward your special friend with treats/playtime or even just a friendly pat.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the best shampoo for Labradoodles? – As long as your Labradoodle is not facing any major issues or skin concerns, the best shampoo is the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo and Conditioner.
- How often should you bathe your Labradoodle? – If your Labradoodle is an inside dog and doesn’t tend to get very dirty then washing them every 2-4 months is ideal. If they love to get out and about then washing them every 2-3 weeks can be beneficial for their natural oils.
- Why does my Labradoodle stink? – Due to the nature of a Labradoodles curly fur, a range of things can get stuck and cause unpleasant odors. Dirt, oil, and even water can get caught in the curly thick labradoodle fur and could be the reason behind a stinky Labradoodle. Using appropriate dog shampoos are the ideal method to combat Labradoodle odor.
- Can I use human shampoos on Labradoodles? – It is never recommended to use human shampoo on Labradoodles. Human shampoo tends to be too acidic for Labradoodle’s skin and can cause issues such as dryness and itchiness. Dog skin usually requires a shampoo that is a little more alkaline in nature due to the pH balance of their skin.
- Why does my Labradoodle still stink after a bath? – Sometimes Labradoodles can emit a smell after a bath, this is mainly due to the thick curly nature of the labradoodle hair. Although an underlying skin condition could be the cause and should always be investigated, thoroughly drying your labradoodle can lead to optimal outcomes.
Ultimately, choosing a shampoo for your Labradoodle can be a bit of a daunting task and may take a little trial and error, to begin with. Once you have found a shampoo that suits your Labradoodle though, they will absolutely thank you for it. Having the correct shampoo not only helps a Labradoodles skin and coat but can benefit their overall health and wellbeing in the long-term. So, no what your Labradoodle needs, there is a shampoo ready and waiting!