Deciding on the best litter for your cat can be very challenging, especially with the many options available today. There are clumping and non-clumping cat litter brands, and each type offers different benefits and is made with a variety of materials.
- Clean and effective
- Free monthly delivery
- Risk Free 30 day trial
Non-clumping cat litter is efficient for removing odors brought about by cat urine as it absorbs relatively large volumes of urine. You’ll find non-clumping cat litters with additional additives to help in odor control and regulate the unpleasant odors, too. Here are the best non-clumping cat litters available.
What are the Best Non-Clumping Cat Litters in 2020?
- Pretty Litter
- Tidy Cats Non-Clumping 24/7 Performance Long Lasting Odor
- Feline Pine Original Non-Clumping Wood Cat Litter
- Frisco Summer Clean Scented Non-Clumping Crystal Cat Litter
- Elsey’s Precious Cat Long Haired Litter
- Frisco Unscented Non-Clumping Recycled Paper Cat Litter
- Cats Pride Premium Fresh and Clean Scented Non-Clumping Clay
- Fresh Step Febreze Scented Non-Clumping Clay Cat Litter
- Yesterday’s News Original Unscented Non-Clumping Paper
- Fresh Steps Fresh Scented Non-Clumping Crystal Cat Litter
Ten Best Non-Clumping Cat Litters
|Our 2020 Picks: Best Non-Clumping Cat Litter|
|Tidy Cats Non-Clumping 24/7 Performance
|Feline Pine Original Non-Clumping Wood Cat Litter
|Frisco Summer Clean Scented Non-Clumping Crystal Cat Litter
|Elsey’s Precious Cat Long Haired Litter
|Frisco Unscented Non-Clumping Recycled Paper Cat Litter
|Cats Pride Premium Fresh and Clean Scented Non-Clumping Clay Cat Litter
|Fresh Step Febreze Scented Non-Clumping Clay Cat Litter
|Yesterday’s News Original Unscented Non-Clumping Paper Cat Litter
|Fresh Steps Fresh Scented Non-Clumping Crystal Cat Litter
Non-clumping cat litter products have remained the only commercial litter available for a long time. Some of the best Non-clumping Cat litters are;
- Unique color changing ability
- Advanced odor control using antimicrobial agents
- Delivered monthly and set up on a subscription basis
- Sick cat symptom checker
Best Overall – Pretty Litter is a silica gel cat litter that comes with a color-changing indicator that reacts to certain situations in the waste of your kitten. This litter provides helpful early detection and insight into any health issues your cat might have using the red, orange, and blue, or dark green color indicators.
Pretty Litter monitors your cats’ health by changing color according to the cat’s urine PH level. This makes it easy for cat owners to detect when the cat has a problem and seek help before it becomes an urgent medical condition. The litter indicates blue for certain types of urinary tract infections, red for bladder stones, bladder inflammation, urinary tract infections, and orange for metabolic acidosis and kidney tubular acidosis.
- Ultra-dust free with low tracking
- Household friendly; it is easy to scoop
- Clean and effective
- Has a high absorbency level
- A bit costly
- Needs extra litter boxes to separate different cats’ pee and feces
- Easily tracked out of the box as it is light in weight.
- Triple odor protection technology
- Formulated for multiple cats’ households
Most Affordable – This cat litter is the best option if you want to spend more quality time with your cats and less time around the litter boxes. It is efficient for keeping unpleasant smells away from your home using the extended-release odor system.
This litter box filler has triple odor protection to keep your home smelling nice and fresh, as well as absorbs moisture to keep your pet as dry and as comfortable as possible.
The litter delivers long-lasting odor control using antimicrobial agents, so it can be used in households with many cats without worrying about changing the litter often. It has a performance formula feature that offers Tidy Lock protection against urine, ammonia, and feces. This litter delivers easy clean-up as it is virtually dust and scent-free, making it a low mess.
- It is easy to clean up due to the Arm & Hammer non-clamping formula.
- It has great absorption to keep your cats dry and comfortable.
- It works 24/7 for continuous and long-lasting odor control.
- It has a slightly chemical scent
- The urine clumps tend to crumble and may end up sticking to the litter box.
- Fairly heavy even in the smallest container
- Highly absorbent pine fibers
- Chemical and Clay free formula thus no cloud of dust.
- It has an improved formula for faster absorption.
Most Popular – The Feline Pine Original Non-Clumping Wood Cat Litter comes in large granules that work like small sponges to lock away ammonia odors and absorb liquid. This litter is a naturally fresh walnut based and very low dust, but that doesn’t make it a low mess. The Feline Original Cat Litter cannot track the big and heavy granules, and when they get wet and break down, they stick to the sides and bottom of the litter box.
This litter is most preferred for liquid waste, and the traditional clay litter for solid waste such as feces. There are some concerns about this litter’s ability to control odor for solid waste because it does not clump up.
- It offers natural odor elimination instant action.
- It is low in dust and lightweight.
- It allows for twice as fast absorption and is binding to ammonia.
- It leaves behind a naturally fresh walnut scent.
- Doesn’t clump, and granules may fall apart when wet causing a messy clean-up.
- It may not contain solid waste odors as well.
- Litter may stick to the box’s bottom.
- Advanced odor lock crystals and odor shielding instant action
- Low tracking to keep litter tracks away from the house
- Around the clock odor protection and control
Best Smelling – This low dust formula is made with odor locking crystals that have been advanced to absorb liquids on contact. It controls odors five times as well as the best non-clumping cat litter, which gives it a very high-performance level. This means that you can use less litter, depending on your cat’s feeding habits and the number of feline friends you have around.
This litter’s powdered crystal litter formula can withstand even the busiest litter boxes while still providing around-the-clock odor protection. As you keep using the crystals, they feel gentle on the cat’s paws, making it comfortable to step on the litter. This, plus the low tracking, helps in hindering litter messes around the house. There is a summer clean scent that leaves your house smelling clean and fresh.
- Ideal for a multi-cat household.
- Low dust which helps reduce messes when cleaning or refilling.
- Gentle on paws.
- It offers easy maintenance and has high absorbency.
- Litter clumps heavily and sticks on the paws.
- It causes much litter tracking around the house, and the litter is very messy.
Other Best Rated Cat Litters in the Market
Among other top-rated non-clumping cat litters in the market today are the following;
This Catspot litter is both safe and healthy for your cat as it has a silica gel litter infused with hydrolyzed herbs to attract your cat. It is one of the best non-clumping cat litter found on Amazon and Chewy today. The Long-Haired aspect of this Catspot litter enables it to trap odor and urine on contact and has the preferred particle size for long-haired cats as it doesn’t agree with the kitty’s coat.
It is biodegradable, non-toxic, and hypoallergenic, with a low tracking formula that makes it very easy to scoop. Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Long Haired Litter comes with a solutions booklet attached to every jug, and it ensures the hygiene and safety of your feline friend.
The perfect litter is an eco-friendly one with fast absorption of liquids to hinder lingering odors from sticking around. This litter’s non-clumping elements are made of 95 percent post-consumer recycled paper and additional baking soda to counter the litter box’s odors. The baking powder serves as a boost of the litter’s odor protection power rather than cover the odor up.
This natural cat litter is scent and Arm & Hammer dust-free, making it easy for you to breathe as you scoop and clean the messes up. This type of litter gives your kitty a fresh, clean, and sweet-smelling litter box with no added chemicals or fragrances.
The Frisco Unscented Non-Clumping Recycled Paper Cat Litter is suitable for households with multiple cats. As it is eco-friendly, you don’t have to worry about environmental conservation. Its absorption rate is thrice as fast as any other paper litter. It is dust-free, which means you will have less mess during scooping and cleaning of the litter box.
This fresh-scented clay litter helps keep your home smelling fresh. Cat’s Pride Premium Fresh & Clean Clay Cat Litter is perfect for absorption and controlling odors on contact due to its natural sponge-like materials. Its non-clumping action hides tough odors easily without the need for heavy perfumes or other unsafe ingredients that would otherwise make the scent overwhelming.
To ensure that your feline friend stays happy, clean, and healthy all the time, this litter is made with a low dust and tracking formula.
This litter promises to keep away bad odor from your home and in the cat’s litter box for at least a week. It is safe and very effective with ingredients that prevent the growth of odor, ensuring a clean and fresh scent even between box changes. The formula uses absorbent walnut shells with moisture activation to trap odors immediately (and with no intense fragrances).
Cat Pride is a great kitty litter as it has a good consistency for people who prefer clay, non-clumping litter, and as it is available in two different sizes of pound bags.
The Fresh Step Scented Non-Clumping Clay Litter with Febreze is one of the best cat litters to keep your house smelling fresh and clean. The scented cat litter traps and eliminates feces and urine odors with premium clay and the fresh Febreze scent.
The bentonite clay is natural and high absorbency, which is necessary to neutralize and hinder the growth of bacterial odors for long-lasting odor control. The non-clumping formula of this scented litter uses activated carbon particles to get rid of odors and absorbing liquids quickly to trap odors by filtering them out. It weighs less than other clay litter pound bags, which improves its functionality and allows for easy clean-up.
The scented cat litter has a low dust formula, which ensures cleaner surfaces and air and leaves a paw activated and fresh scent every time your cat uses the box. This non-clumping bentonite clay cat litter features a 7-day odor control for any smelly or stinky box. It is paw activated to ensure immediate odor control and release of Febreze freshness every step of the way.
Clean up is easy and very manageable as there is no scooping needed. This litter allows for multi-cat use while ensuring absorption of grease spills, freshening trash cans, diaper pails, and providing better traction on slippery paths.
Sometimes old is good, especially when it comes to this Purina Cat Litter made with recycled newspaper for provision of effective odor control. Compared to traditional clay, these pellets have a smaller footprint on the environment, given that they are eco-friendly and thrice as absorbent as clay.
In addition, Yesterday’s News Non-Clumping Cat Litter is 99.7 percent dust-free, so you can use it on a daily basis to keep your home odor and tracking free. The dust-free aspect helps your cats to breathe easily. This non-abrasive kitty litter is made with material that is not harmful or toxic to your cat or your home.
This natural cat litter is odor-free, made from recycled materials. Hence, it is definitely the perfect choice for your home, cat, and environment in general, making for a much smaller ecological footprint. The litter is perfect for daily use due to its fast absorption rate. Yesterday’s News Original Unscented Non-Clumping Paper Cat Litter is tough on odors and easy on your finances, and the perfect easy to keep your home fresh and clean.
It is healthier for your home as it creates a virtually dust-free environment and a convenient alternative to clay as it is odor-free. This environmentally cautious product provides a more sustainable solution for your kitty litter needs as well as the right scent for your cat-friendly household.
Fresh Step Crystal Cat Litter makes it easy for you to clean up after your cat. The long-lasting crystals are meant to lock in odor, and as they are also soft on your cat’s paws, they are a better option than traditional clay litter. This litter absorbs moisture immediately, providing a healthy way to keep your pet happy and clean.
The litter is lightweight, which makes it easy to scoop, carry, or to clean up. Fresh Step Crystal Cat Litter is low dust, which makes for cleaner air and surfaces around the house, and it is a pocket-friendly choice since the unused crystals last up to a month in the box.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How Often Should You Change Your Non-Clumping Cat Litter? If you have one cat in your household, you should change the litter twice a week if you are using non-clumping litter, but if you have more than one kitty at home, consider changing the litter thrice a week, or if possible, on a daily basis. Clumping actions require a more frequent change.
- Why opt for a non –clumping litter over clumping litter for your cat? Most cat owners prefer non-clumping to clump cat litter because of the former’s ability to absorb more waste. It is lighter and less expensive compared to clumping litter, and there are more chances of kittens falling sick from eating clumping litter. This type of litter is dustier and not the best choice, especially if you have many cats at home. Cats prefer non-clumping litter because it acts like the dirt they walk on while outside in the wild, and cat owners love it because it produces relatively little dust.
- What are some of the benefits of non-clumping litter? Non-clumping cat litter is at least half as cheap as the clumping action’s variety, and it requires very low maintenance. You don’t need to constantly check for waste on a daily basis, which is one less worry for any cat parent. It is also a lot less dusty than clumping litter, which is good because your cat won’t suffer any respiratory issues such as asthma.
- What is non-clumping litter made of? Non-clumping cat litter is made of a variety of materials like wood or natural pine, but most of it consists of bentonite, a form of clay that aids in the absorption of urine and odors. Non-clumping kitty litter is sometimes made of substances that ensure the best odor-controlling properties, such as odor controlling crystal litter and less commonly natural pine shavings, walnut shells, corn, and wheat chaff. However, this litter requires changing when the litter gets saturated and creates a puddle at the bottom of the box. Some of the best non-clumping cat litters use charcoal or baking powder for this effect. These litter products are made of a type of granular clay, bentonite, which is very absorbent. Bentonite is efficient in controlling odors, especially when dumped out completely and changed from time to time. As the litter gets saturated, urine can start pooling in the bottom of the litter box, which means you need to clean it.
Cat litters have gained a lot of popularity today and are being filled with many different cat litter choices. As such, cat parents need to decide between clumping and non-clumping kitty litters, depending on your preferences and needs. Non-clumping cat litters are more preferred because of their ability to absorb and mask odors and perfume deodorizers.
It is also less expensive and more commonly found in the best cat litter boxes and in homes of budget-conscious pet owners. The downside of this litter option is that it allows cat urine to pool on the box’s bottom, making it more difficult to clean and necessitates the need to clean it often so that all the contents are dumped out.