When it comes to dog breeds, few are more loyal than Pitbulls. They have an easy-going nature and really enjoy a runaround, as well as playing with other pets. This means they can require a lot of exercise, which inevitably leads to them needing a bath sometimes!
- Affordable price
- Organic Certified aloe vera
There are a huge variety of shampoos on the market right now, which can make it a little overwhelming for you to determine which is best for your four-legged friend. We have put together this guide to help you determine which shampoo is the best fit for your Pitbull’s specific needs, giving you the ability to make a more informed decision for their health.
What Is The Best Shampoo For Pitbulls?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo
- Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoos for Pitbull
The 6 most popular types of shampoo to bathe Pitbulls are:
- Medicated –Medicated shampoo is best used to manage or treat skin concerns or skin allergies. For example, there are medicated shampoos designed for use with bacterial infections, seborrhoea skin conditions, or even just itchy/dry skin. These medicated shampoos either ease some of the discomforts or will treat the underlying causes of the condition. If you are seeking to use a medicated shampoo, we recommend having a consultation with a vet to find the one most appropriate for your Pitbull. Medicated shampoos are tremendously popular, so there should be one designed for your dog’s specific condition.
- Hypoallergenic –If your Pitbull suffers from allergies to certain ingredients, it might be best to try out a hypoallergenic shampoo. These shampoos are free from some of the more prevalent allergens that can trigger skin issues and conditions in allergic dogs. They could potentially settle your Pitbull’s skin without having to resort to a medicated shampoo if their skin condition is a result of an unknown allergy.
- Deodorizing –We all know just how unpleasant that “dog” smell can be. If this smell is coming from your Pitbull, then maybe consider giving a deodorizing shampoo a try. This counters the “dog” smell by providing a deep clean right down to the skin and leaves a long-lasting pleasant fragrance. Hopefully, you will never have to experience a smelly dog again!
- Tearless –We all know the pain of getting shampoo in our eyes whilst showering. Well, dogs can experience that too! Tearless shampoo stops this by not burning when it comes into contact with your dog’s eyes. This will make bath time more relaxing for your pitbull, and therefore more relaxing for you as well!
- Waterless –Waterless shampoo is much like dry shampoo for humans. It is applied to your Pitbull’s coat whilst dry and does not need to be washed out. It can come in the form of a gel, foam, spray or powder. This might be a good option for Pitbulls who regularly get dirty as it is far less time consuming than regular bath time.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Anti-Fungal/Anti-Bacterial – If you are searching for shampoo for anti-fungal and anti-bacteria control, we would suggest looking into medicated shampoos. Anti-fungal and anti-bacteria shampoos are great to tackle yeast and bacterial infections present within your Pitbull and will help to provide relief from itching as well as potentially curing the underlying condition. Always check with your local vet before choosing an anti-fungal and anti-bacteria shampoo to tackle your dog’s skin condition.
- Dander Control – Do you suffer from allergies? Then you might want to check out a dander control shampoo. Whilst a dander control shampoo might not get rid of all the Pitbull allergens, it should provide some much-needed allergy relief. As an added bonus, these shampoos smell great!
- Sensitive Skin – Sensitive skin is a common issue with Pitbulls, and using the right shampoo for their needs can really benefit your pet. By choosing a shampoo with limited gentle ingredients, it can soothe your Pitbull’s skin and stop the discomfort associated with other shampoos.
- Skin & Coat Health – To ensure your Pitbull remains beautiful and happy, it is important to look after their skin and coat health by properly maintaining their coat. There is a range of shampoos designed to help with the common issues of skin redness/itchiness and coat dulling. Look for shampoos that contain omega fatty acids as these are great for your Pitbull’s coat and skin health and will help make sure they look and feel amazing.
- Itch & Redness Remedy – If your Pitbull is suffering from itchiness and redness, it could be due to many factors. If the problem is a food/skin allergy, then you could potentially use a shampoo that has been designed to soothe and treat these issues. They will treat the underlying issues, as well as help to heal any scratching or sores that resulted from the problem. These shampoos can also be medicated and/or hypoallergenic which will also help to heal your Pitbull’s skin issues.
- Calming – Calming shampoos are like itchiness and redness/medicated/hypoallergenic shampoos but come in a milder form. These can be ideal for treating mild issues for you Pitbull.
Overall Best Shampoo for Pitbulls
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Pitbulls|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats ||CHECK PRICE|
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control ||CHECK PRICE|
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Earthbath Shed Control ||CHECK PRICE|
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut ||CHECK PRICE|
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me ||CHECK PRICE|
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover ||CHECK PRICE|
- Ingredients include sage, aloe vera, rosemary, green tea, and chamomile that act as natural conditioners and pure botanical extracts.
- Free from alcohol and soap.
- Produces a rich lather that washes off easily.
- 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner formula.
- Ethically produced in the USA
Overall Best – Our pick for the best shampoo for Pitbulls is the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner. This 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner provide a formula that is soap-free and is packed full of all the essential oils and botanical extracts that your Pitbull needs. This will leave your four-legged friend smelling amazing after every bath time.
Made using only simple and natural ingredients, Buddy Wash shampoo guarantees that no harsh chemicals will be placed on your Pitbull’s skin. The green tea, aloe vera, lavender, and mint provide the perfect combination to ensure a fresh and shiny coat and skin. This shampoo is made in the USA, so you can trust it is safe for use.
- Uses all-natural ingredients.
- Produces silky, soft and shiny skin.
- Made in the USA.
- Not tested on animals and can even be used on humans.
- Does not repel
- Not great for dogs with wheat allergies.
- Dye and paraben-free.
- Oatmeal works to soothe skin.
- Oat protein actively hydrates, protects, and nourishes the skin
- Gentle shampoo.
- Aloe Vera Juice helps coat health and skin hydration
Most Affordable – Boasting an amazing price point and a whole range of benefits for your Pitbull, Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs and Cats is our pick for the best shampoo for the Pitbull owner on a budget. The oatmeal works to hydrate and protect your dog’s skin and works alongside the chamomile extract to soothe it. This will grant your Pitbull with a beautifully soft coat and excellent skin health for a great price. The coconut and plant-derived cleaners also prove to be kind and gentle to Pitbull skin.
Whilst some users have complained about the light almond fragrance it leaves following bath time, it is definitely better than having a smelly dog! Overall this shampoo will leave your Pitbull’s skin and coat looking and feeling great.
- Great price point.
- Provides itching relief.
- Produces a soft coat following washing.
- Not tear-free.
- Can leave an odor after bathing.
- Ideal for sensitive skin as it is tearless and soap-free.
- Dye and perfume free
- 2-in-1 gentle shampoo and conditioner.
- Claims to neutralize odors, deodorize, skin and coat cleanse, and produce rich conditioning.
- Pleasant fresh waters scent
- Made in the USA and can be used with topical products
Best Pitbull Puppy Shampoo – Just brought home a Pitbull puppy for the family? Then you will need a specific puppy shampoo. Nature’s Miracle Supreme odor Control Natural Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner provides a formula boasting 4 major benefits – odor neutralization, deodorizing, skin, and coat cleaning and conditioning.
The tearless formula is great for puppies who can often become distressed by the dyes and perfumes present in other dog shampoos. It is also perfect for puppies as it is fully compatible with spot-on tick and flea products and is a natural Cocoa Surfactant shampoo. This means that your Pitbull’s coat will be less affected by static electricity and stay cleaner for longer.
- Budget price point.
- Works for different coat types.
- It can produce a soft and silky coat.
- Powerful odor deodorization.
- May not produce long last fresh scent
- Provides relief from itching
- Essential oils and natural ingredient formula made by vets
- Designed to produce long-lasting freshness in your Pitbull
- Unaffected by topical flea and tick treatments.
Allergy and Itch Control Shampoo for Pitbull – Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo is a great choice for any Pitbull owner looking for an allergy and itch control shampoo. The made in USA formula contains oatmeal, d-limonene, and tea tree oil which work to provide the perfect balance for helping to alleviate sensitive skin and provide itchiness relief. The formula also works to wash away any allergens that could be causing problems.
This shampoo is great for any time of year as it is fully compatible with topical flea and tick treatments. Reviewers tend to love the smell it leaves on your pooch which will be sure to leave other dog owners to be especially jealous!
- Results in a brilliantly silky and shiny coat.
- Only have to leave on your dog for a short
- Compatible with sensitive skin and skin allergies.
- Made in the USA.
- Difficult to lather well.
- Not suitable for puppies under the age of 12 weeks.
- Ingredients include chlorhexidine and climbazole for bacteria control and control of fungi populations.
- Restores the skin barrier through lipacid which moisturizes and provides a lipo-protidic file deposit.
- The use of Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl and lipacid regulates seborrhea and inflammation.
- Formula contains 3.0% Chlorhexidine Gluconate, 0.5% Climbazole, and 0.05% Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl.
Fungal and Bacterial Infections – If your Pitbull is suffering from inflammation caused by bacteria or a yeast infection, as well as seborrhea, then you would be wise to consider Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo. Whilst this shampoo might seem expensive at first glance, it lathers up really well without using much product, meaning that it lasts longer than other products on this list. The formula contains a range of moisturizing ingredients such as chlorhexidine, climbazole, and phytosphingosine to fight both superficial and severe skin conditions.
This shampoo will leave your Pitbulls coat feeling incredibly smooth and healthy, with buyers noting that its smell is surprisingly pleasant and nonmedical like. After only a few washes, you should begin to see some results, which will make your Pitbull happier and healthier sooner rather than later. This is a brilliant option to consider if you have a specific bacterial or fungal problem that needs taking care of.
- Anti-microbial and anti-yeast.
- Cost-effective, as lathers well and lasts a long time.
- Produces smooth and silky fur.
- Dearer than other competing fungal shampoos.
- Must sit on the coat for 10 minutes before washing and so might cause distress
- Uses ingredients that naturally moisturize.
- Gentle for skin and hypoallergenic
- Free from soap.
- Boosts and benefits skin hydration.
- Prevents flaking and scaling.
Soap Free & Hypoallergenic – Searching for a soap-free and hypoallergenic dog shampoo for your Pitbull? We recommend HyLyt Shampoo for Dogs & Cats as the one to buy. The formula is designed with your dog’s skin pH in mind which helps to lower skin irritation. It also contains emollients for moisture and hydration and protein for conditioning.
This shampoo is a great solution for Pitbulls who suffer from hotspots (seborrhoea). The essential fatty acids present in the formula aim to nourish the skin, as well as control both scaling and flaking. It is great for any time of year as it is fully compatible with topical flea and tick treatments. We recommend this one to any Pitbull owner seeking a hypoallergenic shampoo.
- Non-drying, non-stripping, soap-free formula
- Economical usage due to efficient lathering
- Smells great.
- Works in tandem with topical flea and tick products.
- Can be easily rinsed
- Expensive one-off cost.
5 Other Top-Rated Pitbull Shampoos
When it comes to controlling shedding, Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo is a brilliant option to consider. To help nourish your dog’s skin and lock in moisture it contains organic shea butter, glycerin, and allantoin. It also has green tea extract and omega-6 fatty acids to protect the skin and fix damage caused by shedding. This is definitely one to consider if your Pitbull sheds a lot.
If you’re in the market for a great smelling shampoo that still does a great job of washing your Pitbull, then look no further then Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo and Conditioner. It contains a 2-in-1 formula that helps regulate skin moisture levels, preventing tangled fur and dry skin. It also leaves your Pitbull’s coat smelling great.
Looking for a waterless shampoo? Then we would have to recommend Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me Waterless Shampoo. As the shampoo is a foam that does not require water, it makes it ideal for owners whose Pitbulls are regularly getting dirty and need something to freshen their pet up. The formula does a great job of cleaning and moisturizing your Pitbull’s coat, and does so in less time than a regular shampoo bath time. Super easy and time-efficient, what’s not to love?
Known for their great quality human products, Burts Bees also offer a brilliant range of shampoos for dogs. Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo with Colloidal Oat Flour & Honey is made with natural ingredients that work to nourish your Pitbull’s coat and skin with an ideal pH balance. In addition to being made in the USA, it is also free from artificial fragrances, chemicals, parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, or sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). This is a high-quality product that you should definitely keep in mind.
If you are searching for a trusted dander removing shampoo with a scientifically proven formula, we would definitely recommend Allerpet Dog Dander Remover. It is simple to apply (just requiring it to be placed on a towel and wiped on your dog) and they claim that it will reduce up to 50% of dander if used weekly. This is the perfect solution for dogs who find getting wet at bath time to be traumatic. The non-toxic and non-oily formula also makes it less likely to cause other skin issues for your Pitbull.
Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Pitbull
We recommend you follow these seven tips when bathing your Pitbull:
- Always brush your Pitbull before the bath. Your pooch may be left with irritated skin if bathed with matted hair as it can retain water.
- Keep the water lukewarm to avoid your Pitbull getting uncomfortable. Dog skin is different from human and hot water burns it more easily. Try to keep the water temperature similar to as if running a bath for a baby.
- Talk to your Pitbull whilst giving the bath. This will reassure them that everything will be alright if they are uncomfortable.
- Always use a shampoo designed for dogs!
- Be sure to rinse any leftover soap off, as it can irritate the skin.
- Never use a human hairdryer as it will be too hot. Instead either air dry or use a blow dryer designed for use with dogs.
- Give your Pitbull a reward following a successful bathtime, whether that be praise, pets, and/or play!
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best shampoo for Pitbulls? We would recommend the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner as the overall best shampoo for Pitbulls. However, if your Pitbull has any special requirements such as skin issues or allergies, another shampoo might be what’s best for them.
- How often should you bathe your Pitbull? We would not recommend bathing your dog for more than once a month. This is because it can cause issues with some of the natural skin oils in your Pitbull’s skin and result in skin conditions. We would therefore recommend that your Pitbull is only bathed once every 4-6 weeks. If they are an inside dog and not getting too dirty we would suggest only bathing them every 3-6 months.
- Why does my Pitbull stink? Pitbulls, like most dogs, will smell if they are not properly dried down to their undercoat after they are bathed. If your Pitbull is still smelling after properly drying them, it might be a good idea to try a deodorizing shampoo.
- Can I use human shampoos on Pitbulls? Absolutely not! Human shampoos tend to have too high of a pH level for dog skin. This can cause some irritations and might result in dry skin. This will leave them at greater risk to parasites and bacteria. For this reason, you should only use a shampoo specifically designed for dogs.
- Why does my Pitbull still stink after a bath? Due to Pitbulls possessing thick curly hair, that can sometimes emit a smell after bath time. To prevent this, make sure to thoroughly dry there coat immediately following the bath. Your Pitbull might also be suffering from an underlying skin condition if the problem continues. Be sure to contact your local vet if the smell persists.
It can be a daunting task choosing a shampoo for your Pitbull, given the sheer amount of options to choose from. It is well worth spending the time to research which shampoo will suit your Pitbull, and they will definitely thank you for your effort. The right shampoo will dramatically improve their skin and coat which has a great impact on their long-term health and well-being. We hope this guide has been of use to you and good luck with your Pitbull bath time!