- What Is The Best Shampoo For Pitbulls?
- 6 Different Types of Shampoos for Pitbull
- 6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Overall Best Shampoo for Pitbulls
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats, Almond Scent
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural Puppy Shampoo & Conditioner
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Essential Fatty Acids for Dogs & Cats
- 5 Other Top-Rated Pitbull Shampoos
- Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Pitbull
Pitbulls are Great natured, loyal dogs, and a great addition to any family. They are easy-going and love a runaround, getting along well with other pets, but do require a fair amount of exercise as they are a working dog at heart.
But, just like all other breeds of dog, Pitbulls need a bath sometimes too. And, given the huge array of shampoos that are currently available on the market, it can be a little overwhelming to determine which type is best for your four-legged family member. So, to help you out a little, we have put together some information about some of the best shampoos around – keep reading to learn more!
What Is The Best Shampoo For Pitbulls?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo
- Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoos for Pitbull
There are 6 common types of shampoo that are used to bathe Pitbull:
- Medicated – One of the best ways to manage or treat skin concerns or skin allergies is to use a medicated shampoo. Common concerns or conditions such as bacterial infections, seborrhoea skin conditions, or even just itchy/dry skin require a shampoo that will ease some of the discomforts and help treat the underlying condition. Medicated shampoos are exactly what could be required, and it is best to have a consultation with a vet to find the most appropriate medicated shampoo that can manage the concern or condition. There is a great range of medicated shampoos for almost all skin conditions, so there is something for everyone.
- Hypoallergenic – You do need to be wary that some shampoos contain allergens that will cause irritation to Pitbull’s skin. Hypoallergenic shampoo may be the best path for a Pitbull especially if they suffer from skin conditions related to allergens. Hypo-Allergenic shampoos could help settle your Pitbulls skin without the need for medicated shampoo if the skin condition is related to certain allergens.
- Deodorizing – Almost everyone has experienced that ‘dog’ smell before, and it usually isn’t a pleasant one. So, to counter that unpleasant odor from your Pitbulls, using a deodorizing shampoo is a great choice. It provides a deep clean, right down to the skins, and offers odor control in a variety of ways. Never experience a smelly dog again!
- Tearless – Tearless shampoo for dogs is just like tearless shampoo for humans – it is made in a way that when it comes into contact with your dog’s eyes, it does not burn. It is made up of ingredients that ensure they do not irritate your Pitbulls’s eyes, making bath time a ‘tear-free’ experience.
- Waterless – Waterless shampoo for dogs is the equivalent of dry shampoo for humans. It can come in a gel, foam, spray or powder, and does not require washing out. Waterless shampoo can remain on your Pit’s coat and does not need water to ‘wash out’, as it draws out excess oil and dirt from the skin.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Anti-Fungal/Anti-Bacterial – An ideal shampoo that contains anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties are usually those that are classified as medicated shampoos. If your Pitbull is suffering from yeast or bacterial infections, or mange, anti-fungal and/or anti-bacterial shampoos can offer great relief from itching, as well as potentially providing a cure for the underlying issue. Check your shampoo label to see if they have anti-fungal and/or anti-bacterial properties as many do.
- Dander Control – If you have allergies, then dander control is something that is of great interest to you. Dander control may not fully get rid of all pet/Pitbull allergens however it does combat them to provide a great Pitbull owning experience. A great thing about dander control shampoos is that they also smell great!
- Sensitive Skin – It is very common to have a Pitbull with sensitive skin, and when they do the best shampoo for their needs must be chosen. Sometimes if a shampoo isn’t quite right for their sensitive skin is being used can lead to a worsening of the skin condition. Gentle ingredients are ideal as they soothe any discomfort and also smell great!
- Skin & Coat Health – Pitbulls have great coats and keeping their skin and coat health is important to not only the beauty of the Pitbull but also their happiness. Sometimes a Pitbull’s coat can start to become dull or their skin maybe exhibits redness or itchiness, if this the case there is a range of shampoos available to help. Coat and skin health usually rely on omega fatty acids and looking for these ingredients can help to keep your Pitbull looking great and feeling happy.
- Itch & Redness Remedy – A common concerning skin issue is itchiness and redness, and this could be due to a range of factors. There might be an underlying issue or a food/skin allergy causing this issue and there are several shampoos designed to soothe and treat these issues. These shampoos are ideal in treating itchiness and redness as well as the possibility of scratching and sores. More often than not these shampoos are also medicated or hypoallergenic which will most likely soothe the issues faced by your Pitbull.
- Calming – Last, of all, a calming shampoo can be ideal in treating mild issues for your Pitbull. Calming shampoos offer similar benefits to the itchiness and redness/medicated/hypoallergenic shampoos but in a milder form.
Overall Best Shampoo for Pitbulls
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Pitbulls|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats||CHECK PRICE|
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control||CHECK PRICE|
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Earthbath Shed Control||CHECK PRICE|
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut ||CHECK PRICE|
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me||CHECK PRICE|
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover||CHECK PRICE|
- Includes natural conditioners and pure botanical extracts such as sage, aloe vera, rosemary, green tea, and chamomile.
- alcohol and soap-free.
- Lathers easily and washes off easily.
- 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner formula.
- Coconut based and combined with lavender and mint, offering a soothing bath experience.
Overall, the best shampoo for a Pitbull is the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner. It is a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner that offers a soap-free formula and contains cosmetic-grade botanical extracts and essential oils, meaning your canine will be smelling super fresh after every bath time.
Buddy Wash Shampoo is made from only simple and natural ingredients, such as green tea, aloe vera, lavender, and mint, so no harsh chemicals are being placed on your Pitbull’s skin at any time. These shampoos are also safe for humans, as well as animals and are made in the USA,
- Wheat protein is a natural deodorizer and is safe for frequent use – even puppies.
- Leaves skin silky, soft and shiny.
- Made in the USA.
- Not tested on animals and can even be used on humans.
- A formula does not repel fleas.
- It can cause issues for dogs with a wheat allergy.
- It does not contain any dyes or parabens.
- It contains oatmeal to soothe skin.
- Actively hydrates protects and nourishes the skin through the use of oat protein.
- Gentle shampoo.
- It contains Certified Organic Aloe Vera Juice to assist with skin hydration and coat health.
Most Affordable Pitbull Shampoo – Not only does the Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs and Cats offer an awesome price point, but it also offers a range of benefits for your Pitbull. From oat protein to hydrate and protect your dog’s skin to chamomile extract to soothe it, this shampoo can provide your Pitbull with a soft coat and great skin health (without hurting your pocket).
This shampoo contains a light almond fragrance however some have suggested that it is not that appealing after bath time is over, however all in all your fluffy friend will be looking fresh and clean in so many ways. And, let’s not forget the coconut and plant-derived cleaners, which are gentle and kind on both a Pitbull’s skin and coat. It sounds like a win-win.
- Affordable price point.
- Helps relieve itching.
- Soft coat following washing.
- Not tear-free.
- Can leave an odor after bathing.
- Tearless and soap-free formula that is ideal for sensitive skin.
- No dyes or perfumes in ingredients
- 2-in-1 gentle shampoo and conditioner.
- It offers benefits including neutralizing odors, deodorizing, skin and coat cleansing, and rich conditioning.
- A great fresh spring waters scent.
- Made in the USA and can be used with topical products
Best Pitbull Puppy Shampoo: If you have chosen to bring a Pitbull puppy into your home, choosing the right shampoo to keep them nice and clean is an important step. Nature’s Miracle Supreme odor Control Natural Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner is a gentle and nourishing formula offering four major benefits – odor neutralization, deodorizing, skin, and coat cleaning and conditioning.
It is also tearless and does not contain any dyes or perfumes, which is great for little Pitbull puppies. Nature’s Miracle is also suitable to be used with any spot-on tick and flea products, as well as being soap-free and a natural Cocoa Surfactant shampoo, meaning reduced static electricity and good clean.
- Affordable price point.
- Gentle and soft on puppy skin.
- Nice odor.
- It can create a soft and silky coat.
- Strong odor deodorization.
- The good scent of the shampoo may not last long.
- Designed to wash away allergens, which results in the soothing of sensitive skin and improves itchiness.
- Formulated by veterinarians with a balanced range of essential oils and natural ingredients.
- Designed to leave your Pitbull smelling fresh and clean.
- It offers itch relief for both allergies and skin irritations.
Allergy and Itch Control Shampoo for Pitbull – If you are looking for a great allergy and itch control shampoo for your Pitbull, Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo is a great option for both. Containing oatmeal, d-limonene, and tea tree oil, this shampoo offers the perfect balance of natural ingredients to help out sensitive skin and help relieve itchiness.
The combination of ingredients does not affect topical flea and tick treatments, making this a good option for your Pitbull at any time of year. It also makes your furry family member smell great, while washing away any allergens that could be causing problems.
- Super silky and shiny coat.
- Do not have to leave on your dog for extended periods.
- Great scent.
- Suitable for both sensitive skin and skin allergies.
- Made in the USA.
- Does not lather well.
- It cannot be used on puppies under the age of 12 weeks.
- It contains both chlorhexidine and climbazole – both of which assist with bacteria control and control of fungi populations.
- Lipacid assists with restoring the skin barrier through moisturizing and providing a lipo-protidic file deposit.
- Seborrhea and inflammation are regulated through the use of Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl and lipacid as well.
- A film that offers irritation protection and defies rinsing is deposited on the skin after use to avoid moisture loss.
- Formula contains 3.0% Chlorhexidine Gluconate, 0.5% Climbazole, and 0.05% Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl.
Fungal and Bacterial Infections – The Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo is a great option if your Pitbull is suffering from skin inflammation caused by bacteria or a yeast infection, as well as seborrhea (or ‘hotspots’). It lathers up really well without having to use a lot of product which, considering its higher price bracket, is a great thing as it lasts a lot longer! Duoxo contains ingredients with a range of moisturizing ingredients such as chlorhexidine, climbazole, and phytosphingosine to help with both superficial and severe skin conditions.
Not only does it help with skin irritations, but it also leaves your Pitbulls coat feeling super smooth and healthy, as well as having a pleasant smell that isn’t too medical-like. You will likely see results after only a few washes, making it a great choice for any Pitbull who needs relief sooner rather than later. And it makes them look nice and clean too!
- Anti-microbial and anti-yeast.
- Lathers well.
- Cost-effective, as lasts a long time.
- Pleasant smell.
- It offers smooth and silky fur.
- More expensive than other fungal shampoos.
- Has to sit on the coat for 10 minutes before washing
- It contains natural moisturizing ingredients.
- Gentle, calming, and hypoallergenic.
- Soap-free formula.
- Maintains and helps skin hydration.
- Non-stripping and non-drying.
Soap Free & Hypoallergenic – If you need a gentle soap-free and hypoallergenic formula for Pitbulls of all shapes and sizes, HyLyt Shampoo for Dogs & Cats is the one to buy. It offers the perfect pH balance to ensure lower irritation, with emollients for moisture and hydration and protein for conditioning.
Also, if your Pitbull suffers from hotspots (seborrhoea), HyLyt contains essential fatty acids that control both scaling and flaking, as well as nourish the skin. It is also non-drying and non-stripping and may even help with topical flea and tick products. All in all, HyLyt is a great option for all Australia Pitbull owners looking for this kind of shampoo.
- Helps control flaking and scaling caused by seborrhoea
- Efficient usage due to easy lathering
- Smells great.
- It can potentially benefit topical flea and tick products.
- The shampoo is easily rinsed
- Not all ingredients are from the USA.
5 Other Top-Rated Pitbull Shampoos
Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo is another great option when it comes to controlling shedding. Its formula contains organic shea butter, glycerin, and allantoin, which focus on nourishing your dog’s skin and locking in moisture, and green tea extract and omega-6 fatty acids are used to protect the skin and fix any damage that can cause shedding. As Pitbulls shed a lot, this shampoo is definitely worth considering.
Another top-rated dog shampoo for your Pitbull is Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo and Conditioner. It smells yummy and still does a good job washing your Pitbull, offering a 2-in-1 formula that helps regulate moisture levels on the skin. There is also mango and coconut which help with tangled fur, and papaya, and kiwi to look after dry skin and get your Pitbull’s coat looking great.
If waterless shampoo is more your idea of a clean Pitbull, Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me Waterless Shampoo is the option for you. This shampoo foam does not require water a ‘bath time’, making it a refreshing change to many other choices. It cleans and moisturizes your Pitbull’s coat, with its natural botanical formula making sure they both look and smell nice in no time at all. And it’s super easy too!
Not only do Burt’s Bees offer a great range of products suited to humans, but they also offer a range of products for dogs and Pitbulls. Consisting of natural ingredients including colloidal oat flour and honey is made in the USA and has the ideal pH balance for your Pitbull’s skin while nourishing and moisturizing it. It is also made without any artificial fragrances, chemicals, parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, or sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), as well as being bottled in recycled packaging too.
Allerpet Dog Dander Remover is the one to choose if you are looking for a scientifically proven formula that helps remove dander from your Pitbull before it becomes airborne. If used weekly, this product has been shown to reduce up to 50% of dander and is simple to apply – place it on a towel and wipe down your canine friend… that’s it! No wet and traumatic bath time is required, and the formula is both non-toxic and non-oily, meaning no nasties are left behind that can attract more allergens.
Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Pitbull
There are seven major points when it comes to bathing your Pitbull:
- Brush your dog before a bath, as matted hair can retain water and leave your furry friend with irritated skin.
- Use lukewarm water – roughly about the same temperature as you would run for a baby, as dogs have different skin to adults and hot water burns more easily.
- Keep chatting to your dog in a calm voice and always reassure them.
- Always use dog shampoo!
- Rinse well, as leftover soap can irritate the skin.
- Either air-dry or use a blow-dryer for dogs – never use a human hair dryer, as this will be too hot.
- Reward your Pitbull once it is all over with praise, pets, and/or play!
- What is the best shampoo for Pitbulls? – The best shampoo for Pitbulls depends on a range of factors, from whether they have skin issues to their age. Overall, however, the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner is a great choice.
- How often should you bathe your Pitbull? – Bathing a dog more than once a month can cause issues with natural oils in their skin. This can lead to skin conditions therefore we recommend that Pitbulls should not be bathed more than once every 4-6 weeks. If they are inside dogs or tend to avoid getting dirty, then once every 3-6 months is adequate.
- Why does my Pitbull stink? – Pitbulls can begin to emit an odor if they are not dried properly down to their undercoat. This undercoat does take a little longer to dry and sometimes a deodorizing shampoo can be of great benefit.
- Can I use human shampoos on Pitbulls? – Human shampoos tend to be too acidic for dogs and can cause irritations, especially dry skin. When a dog’s skin does exhibit dryness, it can become more prone to parasites and bacteria. This is due to the pH level of a dog’s skin being vastly different to that of human skin.
- Why does my Pitbull still stink after a bath? – Sometimes Pitbulls can emit a smell after a bath, this is mainly due to the thick curly nature of the Pitbull’s hair. Although an underlying skin condition could be the cause and should always be investigated, thoroughly drying your Pitbull can lead to optimal outcomes.
Ultimately, choosing a shampoo for your Pitbull can be a bit of a daunting task and may take a little trial and error, to begin with. Once you have found a shampoo that suits your Pitbull though, they will absolutely thank you for it. Having the correct shampoo not only helps a Pitbulls skin and coat but can benefit their overall health and wellbeing in the long-term. So, know what your Pitbull needs, there is a shampoo ready and waiting!