- What Is The Best Shampoo For Poodles?
- 6 Different Types of Shampoos for Poodles
- 6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Overall Best Shampoo for Poodles
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats, Almond Scent
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural Puppy Shampoo & Conditioner
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Essential Fatty Acids for Dogs & Cats
- 5 Other Top-Rated Poodle Shampoos
- Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Poodle
- Frequently Asked Questions
Poodles are an incredibly common dog throughout the community, with all different colors, shapes, and sizes being seen every day. From toy and miniature Poodles to standard-sized poodles and everything in between, Poodles offer great companionship and an intelligent furry best friend.
But, just like all other breeds of dog, Poodles need a bath sometimes too. And, given the huge array of shampoos that are currently available on the market, it can be a little overwhelming to determine which type is best for your four-legged family member. So, to help you out a little, we have put together some information about some of the best shampoos around – keep reading to learn more!
What Is The Best Shampoo For Poodles?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo
- Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoos for Poodles
There are 6 common types of shampoo that are used to bathe Poodles
- Medicated – If your Poodle, unfortunately, is battling common skin concerns or conditions, it is sometimes best to use a medicated shampoo. Medicated shampoos are ideal when dealing with conditions such as itchy/dry skin, bacterial infections, and/or seborrheic skin conditions, and it can even help with mange. The best way to decide which medicated shampoo is for your Poodle is to consult your veterinarian, as they will be able to identify the skin condition and the required ingredients to best manage/treat your Poodle’s underlying skin concerns.
- Hypoallergenic – Sometimes skin irritations can occur due to allergies or allergens, which is why hypoallergenic shampoo has been created. The hypoallergenic shampoo is ideal for Poodles that suffer from skin conditions or concerns related to certain ingredients in shampoos. These types of shampoos will help settle Poodle’s skin if they are susceptible and offer them some comfort.
- Deodorizing – Sometimes it can be worrying when your Poodle has developed an odor that you cannot seem to get rid of. These odors albeit usually are unpleasant and can sometimes be very tough to eliminate with normal shampoos. Luckily there are deodorizing shampoos available that clean all the way down to your Poodles skin and can restrain some of the unpleasantness related to poor dog odor. Deodorizing shampoos are great when you need a bit of extra help in the battle of dog odor, no matter the breed.
- Tearless – Ever felt that stinging burning sensation in your eyes when washing your hair? Well, it can also happen to Poodles! Tearless shampoo was invented for humans to help with that pain and now also for dogs. By using a tearless shampoo, you can eliminate some of the unpleasant bathing experiences for your Poodle. It ensures that when shampoo does get into the eyes of the dog it does not cause discomfort at all.
- Waterless – One shampoo that helps avoid the whole bathing experience is waterless shampoo. Waterless shampoo is very similar to dry shampoo for humans in that it usually comes in a gel, foam, spray, or powder form. It does not need to be rinsed or washed out and works by drawing out the excess dirt and oil from a Poodles skin.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
There are also 6 common special health feature shampoos that can be used for Poodles.
- Anti-Fungal/Anti-Bacterial – The ideal shampoo that contains anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties are usually those that are classified as medicated shampoos. If your Poodle is suffering from yeast or bacterial infections, or mange, anti-fungal and/or anti-bacterial shampoos can offer great relief from itching, as well as potentially providing a cure for the underlying issue. Check your shampoo label to see if they have anti-fungal and/or anti-bacterial properties as many do.
- Dander Control – If you have allergies, then dander control is something that is of great interest to you. Dander control may not fully get rid of all pet/Poodle allergens however it does combat them to provide a great Poodle owning experience. A great thing about dander control shampoos is that they also smell great!
- Sensitive Skin – Sensitive skin is a common occurrence in Poodles and if required, the correct shampoo must be used otherwise it can exacerbate the skin condition. Atopic Dermatitis is a common issue for Poodles and therefore a sensitive skin shampoo is required, these can often come as medicated shampoos as well. If in doubt, check in with your veterinarian for the appropriate shampoo.
- Skin & Coat Health – The best thing about a Poodle is their lovely thick and curly coat, and the best way to ensure their coat health is an appropriate shampoo. Shampoos that include omegas are ideal in ensuring a great skin and coat feel and ensure you can keep your Poodles coat from becoming dull or irritated and red.
- Itch & Redness Remedy – A common concerning skin issue is itchiness and redness, and this could be due to a range of factors. There might be an underlying issue or a food/skin allergy causing this issue and there are several shampoos designed to soothe and treat these issues. These shampoos are ideal in treating itchiness and redness as well as the possibility of scratching and sores. More often than not these shampoos are also medicated or hypoallergenic which will most likely soothe the issues faced by your Poodle.
- Calming – Last, of all, a calming shampoo can be ideal in treating mild issues for your poodle. Calming shampoos offer similar benefits to the itchiness and redness/medicated/hypoallergenic shampoos but in a milder form.
Overall Best Shampoo for Poodles
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Poodles|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats||CHECK PRICE|
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control||CHECK PRICE|
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Earthbath Shed Control||CHECK PRICE|
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut ||CHECK PRICE|
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me||CHECK PRICE|
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover||CHECK PRICE|
- It offers a rich lather easily and is simple to wash off.
- A 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner soap-free formula.
- Completely alcohol-free.
- Ingredients include natural conditioners and pure botanical extracts such as sage, aloe vera, rosemary, green tea, and chamomile.
- Coconut based and combined with lavender and mint, offering a soothing bath experience.
Overall Best Shampoo for Poodles – Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner is a great overall option for your Poodle of any size and at any age. As a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner formula, it offers a soap-free solution whilst containing cosmetic-grade botanical extracts and essential oils, leaving your Poodle both smelling great and looking fresh. The Buddy Wash shampoo contains only natural ingredients, meaning no harsh chemicals are being put on your Poodles skin at any time, including green tea, aloe vera, lavender, mint… the list goes on! They are also safe for both humans and animals, offering you peace of mind when it comes to safe products.
- Leaves skin soft, silky and shiny.
- Not tested on animals and is safe for humans when used as directed.
- Wheat protein is safe for frequent use on your furry friends
- Wheat protein in the shampoo is a natural deodorizer.
- Made in the USA.
- Does not repel fleas.
- May cause issues for dogs with a wheat allergy.
- Actively hydrates protects, and nourishes the skin through the use of oat protein.
- It contains oatmeal to soothe skin.
- Is a gentle shampoo
- Doesn’t contain dyes or parabens.
- Contains Certified Organic Aloe Vera Juice to assist with skin hydration and coat health.
Most Affordable Poodle Shampoo – Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs and Cats is the most affordable Poodle shampoo on the market, offering a range of benefits for your furry four-legged friend. Oat protein is used to hydrate and protect, and chamomile extract is used to soothe, offering a balanced combination for great skin health and a beautiful coat. This shampoo boasts a light almond fragrance however some feel that it loses its appeal after bath time is over, smelling a little unpleasant. All in all, however, this shampoo offers lots of positive features for its price point, making it a worthwhile and cost-effective purchase for Poodle owners to consider.
- Affordable from a cost perspective
- Can help relieve itching
- Soft coat following washing.
- Not tear-free.
- Can leave an odor after bathing.
- Contains a fresh spring waters scent.
- 2-in-1 gentle shampoo and conditioner.
- Offers 4-in-1 benefits including neutralizing odors, deodorizing, skin and coat cleansing, and rich conditioning.
- Tearless and soap-free formula that is ideal for sensitive skin.
- No dyes or perfumes in the shampoo.
- Made in the USA.
Best Poodle Puppy Shampoo – If a Poodle puppy has made its way into your life, ensuring you choose the best shampoo for their needs is incredibly important. Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Shampoo offers a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner for your newest family member, complete with odor neutralization, deodorizing, skin and coat cleaning and conditioning. This shampoo is also gentle, soap-free, and tearless, ensuring bath time is a positive time for your Poodle puppy and does not contain any dyes or perfumes. It is also safe to use with any spot-on tick and flea products you may be using and is also a natural Cocoa Surfactant shampoo, meaning it offers reduced static electricity and a good clean.
- Affordable price point.
- Makes your puppy smell great.
- Offers a soft and silky coat.
- Great odor deodorization.
- Gentle on puppy skin.
- Good scent does not last long.
- Designed to leave your Poodle smelling fresh and clean.
- It offers itch relief for both allergies and skin irritations.
- Washes away allergens, resulting in the soothing of sensitive skin and improved itchiness.
- Formulated by veterinarians with a balanced range of essential oils and natural ingredients.
Allergy and Itch Control Shampoo for Poodles – Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo is the perfect choice if you are looking for a shampoo for either allergies or itch control (or both) for your Poodle. Full of oatmeal, d-limonene, and tea tree oil, this shampoo provides a range of natural ingredients to assist with sensitive skin and help control itchiness in Poodles of all sizes. This particular Vet’s Best shampoo does not affect topical flea and tick treatments, which is an added bonus in so many ways. It also washes away any allergens that could be causing problems to your Poodle’s skin, and it smells great doing it. We highly recommend this one!
- Great scent.
- Suitable for both sensitive skin and skin allergies.
- Super silky and shiny coat.
- Do not have to leave on your dog for extended periods.
- Made in the USA.
- Does not lather well.
- It cannot be used on puppies under the age of 12 weeks.
- Seborrhea and inflammation are regulated through the use of Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl and lipacid as well.
- Lipacid assists with restoring the skin barrier through moisturizing and providing a lipo-protidic file deposit.
- A film that offers irritation protection and defies rinsing is deposited on the skin after use to avoid moisture loss.
- Formula contains 3.0% Chlorhexidine Gluconate, 0.5% Climbazole, and 0.05% Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl.
- It contains both chlorhexidine and climbazole – both of which assist with bacteria control and control of fungi populations.
Fungal and Bacterial Infections – If your Poodle is suffering from skin inflammation caused by bacteria or a yeast infection, or they are known to get seborrhoea (or ‘hotspots’), the Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo is definitely an option to consider. Although this shampoo costs a little more than other choices, it lathers up really well without having to use much, which makes it last longer. Duoxo contains ingredients such as chlorhexidine, climbazole, and phytosphingosine to help with both superficial and severe skin conditions, offering moisturizing properties to the skin. Another great part of this Duoxo shampoo is that leaves your Poodles coat feeling nice and healthy, as well as having an odor that isn’t unpleasant (or too medical-like). It doesn’t take too long to work either, making it a good option for those who need to see results sooner.
- Cost-effective as lasts a long time.
- Anti-microbial and anti-yeast.
- Lathers well.
- Pleasant smell.
- It offers smooth and silky fur.
- More expensive than other fungal shampoos.
- Has to sit on the coat for 10 minutes before washing.
- Contains natural moisturizing ingredients.
- Maintains skin hydration.
- Both gentle and hypoallergenic.
- Soap-free formula.
- Non-stripping and non-drying.
Soap Free & Hypoallergenic – HyLyt Shampoo for Dogs & Cats is a soap-free and hypoallergenic option that works really well for Poodles. It has the perfect pH balance for a dog’s skin, meaning it is less like to irritate skin or cause problems, and has protein for conditioning and emollients for hydration and moisture. If your Poodle, unfortunately, suffers from seborrhea, otherwise known as ‘hotspots’, HyLyt contains all the essential fatty acids that are needed to help nourish the skin, whilst controlling both scaling and flaking. Finally, HyLyt is both non-stripping and non-drying, ensuring a healthy coat for your Poodle.
- Helps control flaking and scaling caused by seborrhoea
- Great lather without having to use a lot of product.
- Smells great.
- Easily rinsed.
- Can potentially benefit topical flea and tick products.
- Not all ingredients are from the USA.
5 Other Top-Rated Poodle Shampoos
If you are searching for more options when it comes to shedding control, make sure you check out Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo. It is made up of organic shea butter, glycerin and allantoin, which are included to nourish your Poodle’s skin and lock in moisture, ensuring a fresh coat while still controlling shedding. There are also green tea extract and omega-6 fatty acids added in, which protect the skin and repair any damage that can potentially cause shedding, offering multiple ways to combat extra fur loss.
Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo and Conditioner both smells amazing and assists with moisture levels on your Poodle’s skin, making it the perfect option in more ways than one. With the combination of mango and coconut to assist with releasing tangled fur, and papaya and kiwi to take care of dry skin and help make your Poodle’s coat look great, you almost forget about the luxurious feel… and did we mention how great it smells?
If you haven’t considered waterless shampoo before now, you definitely should! Ark Naturals offer a great waterless shampoo for those looking for something good without the need for bath time. This shampoo both cleans and refreshes your Poodle without bathing, with the shampoo foam providing everything you need to get your Poodle’s coat looking great. It consists of a natural botanical formula, offering you peace of mind when it comes to the product – and makes your furry friend smell great too.
Not only do Burt’s Bees offer a great range of products suited to humans, but they also offer a range of products for dogs and Poodles. Consisting of natural ingredients including colloidal oat flour and honey is made in the USA and has the ideal pH balance for your Poodle’s skin while nourishing and moisturizing it. It is also made without any artificial fragrances, chemicals, parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, or sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), as well as being bottled in recycled packaging too.
Allerpet Dog Dander Remover is the one to choose if you are looking for a scientifically proven formula that helps remove dander from your Poodle before it becomes airborne. If used weekly, this product has been shown to reduce up to 50% of dander and is simple to apply – place it on a towel and wipe down your canine friend… that’s it! No wet and traumatic bath time is required, and the formula is both non-toxic and non-oily, meaning no nasties are left behind that can attract more allergens.
Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Poodle
See below for the 7 steps to bathing your Poodle:
- Brush your Poodle before a bath, if you do not, matted hair could form and hold water.
- Pour lukewarm water over them, as dogs’ skin is much more sensitive than humans’ water and can be burnt easily.
- Use a calming and comforting voice to reassure your Poodle.
- Do not use human shampoo, only dog shampoo due to pH issues with Poodles skin.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Use a dog-dryer or air-dry your poodle.
- Poodles love to be rewarded, so reward your special friend with treats/playtime or even just a friendly pat.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best shampoo for Poodles? As long as your Poodle is not facing any major issues or skin concerns, the best shampoo is the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo and Conditioner.
- How often should you bathe your Poodle? If your Poodle is an inside dog and doesn’t tend to get very dirty then washing them every 3-6 months is ideal. If they love to get out and about then washing them every 21-35 days can be beneficial for their natural oils.
- Why does my Poodle stink? Due to the nature of a Poodles curly fur, a range of things can get stuck and cause unpleasant odors. Dirt, oil, and even water can get caught in the curly thick poodle fur and could be the reason behind a stinky Poodle. Using appropriate dog shampoos are the ideal method to combat Poodle odor.
- Can I use human shampoos on Poodles? It is never recommended to use human shampoo on Poodles. Human shampoo tends to be too acidic for Poodles skin and can cause issues such as dryness and itchiness. Dog skin usually requires a shampoo that is a little more alkaline in nature due to the pH balance of their skin.
- Why does my Poodle still stink after a bath? Sometimes Poodles can emit a smell after a bath, this is mainly due to the thick curly nature of the poodle hair. Although an underlying skin condition could be the cause and should always be investigated, thoroughly drying your poodle can lead to optimal outcomes.
Ultimately, choosing a shampoo for your Poodle can be a bit of a daunting task and may take a little trial and error, to begin with. Once you have found a shampoo that suits your Poodle though, they will absolutely thank you for it. Having the correct shampoo not only helps a Poodles skin and coat but can benefit their overall health and wellbeing in the long-term. So, no what your Poodle needs, there is a shampoo ready and waiting!