Australian Shepherds are wonderful, loyal dogs and a great addition to any family. They are easy-going and love a runaround, getting along well with other pets, but do require a fair amount of exercise as they are a working dog at heart.
- Affordable price
- Organic Certified aloe vera
Australian Shepherds do love water though and, whilst loving a good run-around sounds great, this can mean they get themselves a little dirty and grubby at times… which means bath time. But, have you considered what shampoo is best for your furry canine friend? We have put together a few to help you along but always speak to your qualified veterinarian for further assistance.
What Is The Best Shampoo For Australian Shepherds?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo
- Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoos for Australian Shepherd
There are 6 common types of shampoo that are used to bathe Australian Shepherd:
- Medicated – The best way to manage or treat skin concerns or skin allergies is to use a medicated shampoo. Common concerns or conditions such as bacterial infections, seborrhoea skin conditions, or even just itchy/dry skin require a shampoo that will ease some of the discomforts and help treat the underlying condition. Medicated shampoos are exactly what could be required, and it is best to have a consultation with a vet to find the most appropriate medicated shampoo that can manage the concern or condition. There is a great range of medicated shampoos for almost all skin conditions, so there is something for everyone.
- Hypoallergenic – One thing to be wary of is that some shampoos contain allergens that will cause irritation to Australian Shepherds skin. Hypoallergenic shampoo may be the best path for an Australian Shepherd especially if they suffer from skin conditions related to allergens. Hypo-Allergenic shampoos could help settle your Shepherds skin without the need for medicated shampoo if the skin condition is related to certain allergens.
- Deodorizing – From time to time an Australian Shepherd can develop a bit of an odor that isn’t very pleasant. To help combat this and eventually alleviate it, there are deodorizing shampoos available. Deodorizing shampoos are used when dog odors cannot be controlled by regular shampoo, and you need a bit of extra help in combating some of the awful smells coming from your shepherd. A deodorizing shampoo will help clean all the way down to your Australian Shepherd’s skin and nullify some of the strong odors that can develop.
- Tearless – Tearless Shampoo is not too dissimilar to the human tearless shampoo, as it helps with the sensation of burning or stinging of the eyes. By using tearless shampoo, even the most cautious of Australian Shepherds can avoid any of the issues of getting shampoo in their eyes. By using tearless shampoo, the shampooing and cleaning process can become a far more enjoyable one for both owner and Australian Shepherd.
- Waterless – For an alternative to the full bathing and shampooing experience, there is waterless shampoo. This type of shampoo is a speedier and easier process than the full bathing option. Waterless shampoo does not require water and it is usually available in gel, foam, spray, or powder forms. It does not need to be washed out and will draw out the excess oil and dirt from your Australian Shepherds’ skin.
- Shed Control – To help control an Australian Shepherds shedding there is a shampoo that has been created that will help manage the issue. It is a very common problem for the Australian Shepherd and uses the power of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. These two fatty acids have been proven to help reduce the amount of shedding a Shepherd does and strengthen its coat.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Anti-Fungal/Anti-Bacterial – Anti-fungal/anti-bacterial shampoos are great in clearing up any yeast/bacterial infections and can even help with mange. A lot of shampoos at the moment use the words anti-fungal or anti-bacterial, but invariably the best ones are commonly associated with the term medicated shampoos. It is paramount you check the label to ensure you are buying the appropriate anti-fungal/anti-bacterial shampoo for your Australian Shepherd.
- Dander Control – Sometimes as an owner, you might suffer from allergies that relate to your furry friend. To help with the allergens that are emitted from an Australian Shepherd it is recommended you purchase a dander control shampoo. This helps remove dander before it becomes airborne, offering you some potential allergy relief.
- Sensitive Skin – It is very common to have an Australian Shepherd with sensitive skin, and when they do the best shampoo for their needs must be chosen. Sometimes if a shampoo isn’t quite right for their sensitive skin is being used can lead to a worsening of the skin condition. Gentle ingredients are ideal as they soothe any discomfort and also smell great!
- Skin & Coat Health – Australian Shepherds have great coats and keeping their skin and coat health is important to not only the beauty of the shepherd but also their happiness. Sometimes an Australian Shepherd’s coat can start to become dull or their skin maybe exhibits redness or itchiness, if this the case there is a range of shampoos available to help. Coat and skin health usually rely on omega fatty acids and looking for these ingredients can help to keep your Australian Shepherd looking great and feeling happy.
- Itch & Redness Remedy – If in the event you find your Australian Shepherd has itchy or red skin, it could be worthwhile investigating an itch & redness remedy shampoo. Sometimes these issues can be related to a skin or food allergy, but, ideally, you try to ease the uncomfortable sensation for your shepherd. Shampoos that usually address itch & redness are usually medicated and/or hypoallergenic which will most likely mean they will calm and soothe the skin.
- Calming – Sometimes the best way to soothe an irritated and red Australian Shepherds skin is to use a calming shampoo. These types of shampoos can be called sensitive skin options and usually contain calming properties to help with sore skin.
Overall Best Shampoo for Australian Shepherds
|Our 2021 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Australian Shepherds|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
|Earthbath Shed Control
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
- Includes natural conditioners and pure botanical extracts such as sage, aloe vera, rosemary, green tea, and chamomile.
- alcohol and soap-free.
- Lathers easily and washes off easily.
- 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner formula.
- Coconut based and combined with lavender and mint, offering a soothing bath experience.
Overall, the best shampoo for an Australian Shepherd is the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner. It is a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner that offers a soap-free formula and contains cosmetic-grade botanical extracts and essential oils, meaning your canine will be smelling super fresh after every bath time.
Buddy Wash Shampoo is made from only simple and natural ingredients, such as green tea, aloe vera, lavender, and mint, so no harsh chemicals are being placed on your Australian Shepherd’s skin at any time. These shampoos are also safe for humans, as well as animals and are made in the USA,
- Wheat protein is a natural deodorizer and is safe for frequent use – even puppies.
- Leaves skin silky, soft and shiny.
- Made in the USA.
- Not tested on animals and can even be used on humans.
- Formula does not repel fleas.
- Can cause issues for dogs with a wheat allergy.
- Known to be a gentle shampoo.
- It does not contain any dyes or parabens.
- It contains oatmeal to soothe skin.
- Oat protein actively hydrates, protects, and nourishes skin.
- It contains Certified Organic Aloe Vera Juice to assist with skin hydration and coat health.
Most Affordable Australian Shepherd Shampoo – If you are searching for a more affordable shampoo, look no further than Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs and Cats. Although it may sit at a lower price point, it contains a range of beneficial ingredients such as oat protein to protect and hydrate your Australian Shepherd’s skin, as well as chamomile extract to soothe irritations.
Another positive of Frisco shampoo is its subtle almond smell, however, some pet owners have suggested that this fragrance isn’t very nice once bath time is over but, overall, your Australian Shephard will finish being washed with soothed skin and a great looking coat. There are even coconut and plant-derived cleaners in this formula – an added bonus!
- Can relieve itching
- Great for affordability
- Helps with a Soft coat following washing.
- Not tearless.
- May leave an unpleasant odor after washing
- Tearless and soap-free formula that is ideal for sensitive skin.
- No dyes or perfumes in ingredients
- 2-in-1 gentle shampoo and conditioner.
- It offers benefits including neutralizing odors, deodorizing, skin and coat cleansing, and rich conditioning.
- A great fresh spring waters scent.
- Made in the USA and can be used with topical products
Best Australian Shepherd Puppy Shampoo – If you have chosen to bring an Australian Shepherd puppy into your home, choosing the right shampoo to keep them nice and clean is an important step. Nature’s Miracle Supreme odor Control Natural Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner is a gentle and nourishing formula offering four major benefits – odor neutralization, deodorizing, skin, and coat cleaning and conditioning.
It is also tearless and does not contain any dyes or perfumes, which is great for little Australian Shepherd puppies. Nature’s Miracle is also suitable to be used with any spot-on tick and flea products, as well as being soap-free and a natural Cocoa Surfactant shampoo, meaning reduced static electricity and good clean.
- Affordable price point.
- Gentle and soft on puppy skin.
- Nice odor.
- Can create a soft and silky coat.
- Strong odor deodorization.
- The good scent of the shampoo may not last long.
- Gives your dog a great smell and cleanliness.
- Created by veterinarians with a balanced range of essential oils and natural ingredients.
- Washes away allergens, resulting in the soothing of sensitive skin and improves itchiness.
- Will help with itch relief for allergies and skin irritations.
Allergy and Itch Control Shampoo for Australian Shepherds – If you need an allergy and itch control shampoo for your Australian Shepherd, make sure you review Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo. It is made up of natural ingredients such as oatmeal, d-limonene, and tea tree oil, offering assistance with sensitive skin and itchy skin in many ways.
Vet’s Best Allergy Shampoo also doesn’t negatively affect topical flea and tick treatments, ensuring you can use it for your Australian Shepherd at any time, no matter what. The formula also smells amazing and washes away nasty allergens.
- Great for both sensitive skin and skin allergies.
- Super silky and shiny coat.
- Beautiful scent.
- Made in the USA.
- Does not lather well.
- Not suitable for puppies under 3 months
- Seborrhea and inflammation are regulated through the use of Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl and lipacid as well.
- A film that offers irritation protection and defies rinsing is deposited on the skin after use to avoid moisture loss.
- Contains both chlorhexidine and climbazole – both of which assist with bacteria control and control of fungi populations.
- Formula contains 3.0% Chlorhexidine Gluconate, 0.5% Climbazole, and 0.05% Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl.
- Lipacid assists with restoring the skin barrier through moisturizing and providing a lipo-protidic file deposit.
Fungal and Bacterial Infections – Skin inflammation, fungal infections, and bacterial infections can affect almost any dog, and Australian Shepherds are not different. That is why Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo is a great choice if you require a shampoo that combats fungal and bacterial infections effectively yet gently. The Duoxo formula assists Australian Shepherds with skin inflammation caused by bacteria or a yeast infection, as well as seborrhoea/hotspot. Ingredients include chlorhexidine, climbazole, and phytosphingosine, all of which help with both superficial and severe skin conditions in varying stages, making it a solid choice for a variety of owners.
Although it is a little bit higher in price than other options, a little product lathers well and goes a long way, ensuring it is a cost-effective purchase. This shampoo also doesn’t smell medicinal, which many fungal and bacterial shampoos do, and makes your Australian Shepherd’s coat look and feel silky smooth.
- Cost-effective as the shampoo lasts a long time.
- Nice and pleasant smell.
- Anti-microbial and anti-yeast.
- Lathers well.
- Offers smooth and silky fur.
- It can be a higher price point than other anti-microbial shampoos.
- Shampoo must remain on coat for 10 minutes before rinsing.
- Contains natural moisturizing ingredients.
- Gentle, calming, and hypoallergenic.
- Soap-free formula.
- Maintains and helps skin hydration.
- Non-stripping and non-drying.
Soap Free & Hypoallergenic – If you need a gentle soap-free and hypoallergenic formula for Australian Shepherds of all shapes and sizes, HyLyt Shampoo for Dogs & Cats is the one to buy. It offers the perfect pH balance to ensure lower irritation, with emollients for moisture and hydration and protein for conditioning.
Also, if your Australian Shepherd suffers from hotspots (seborrhoea), HyLyt contains essential fatty acids that control both scaling and flaking, as well as nourish the skin. It is also non-drying and non-stripping and may even help with topical flea and tick products. All in all, HyLyt is a great option for all Australia Shepherd owners looking for this kind of shampoo.
- Helps control flaking and scaling caused by seborrhoea
- Efficient usage due to easy lathering
- Smells great.
- Can potentially benefit topical flea and tick products.
- The shampoo is easily rinsed
- Not all ingredients are from the USA.
5 Other Top-Rated Australian Shepherd Shampoos
Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo is another great option when it comes to controlling shedding. Its formula contains organic shea butter, glycerin, and allantoin, which focus on nourishing your dog’s skin and locking in moisture, and green tea extract and omega-6 fatty acids are used to protect the skin and fix any damage that can cause shedding. As Australian Shepherds shed a lot, this shampoo is definitely worth considering.
Another top-rated dog shampoo for your Australian Shepherd is Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo and Conditioner. It smells yummy and still does a good job washing your Australian Shepherd, offering a 2-in-1 formula that helps regulate moisture levels on the skin. There is also mango and coconut which help with tangled fur, and papaya, and kiwi to look after dry skin and get your shepherd’s coat looking great.
If waterless shampoo is more your idea of a clean Australian Shepherd, Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me Waterless Shampoo is the option for you. This shampoo foam does not require water a ‘bath time’, making it a refreshing change to many other choices. It cleans and moisturizes your Australian Shepherd’s coat, with its natural botanical formula making sure they both look and smell nice in no time at all. And it’s super easy too!
If you are looking for a dog shampoo from a familiar brand, you may have come across Burt’s Bees before. They offer a range of amazing products for humans, but also provide great dog shampoo too. Known as Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo, it is made up of natural ingredients such as colloidal oat flour and honey, ensuring you are putting safe and correct products on your Australian Shepherds skin. This shampoo is pH balanced and does not contain any artificial fragrances, chemicals, parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, or sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), as well as offering great moisturizing and helps with a healthy coat as well.
Allerpet Dog Dander Remover is a scientifically proven formula to assist in the removal of dander from your Australian Shepherd before becoming airborne. Shown to reduce up to 50% of dander when used once a week, it is super easy to apply, and no bath time is needed – simply place Allerpet on a towel and wipe down your Australian Shepherd. This product is both non-toxic and non-oily, meaning it doesn’t allow the attraction for more allergens.
Our 2021 Guide to Bathing your Australian Shepherd
See below for the 7 steps to bathing your Australian Shepherd:
- Always brush your dog before a bath, as this ensures no water can get caught up in matted hair and cause skin irritations.
- Pour lukewarm water over your Australian Shepherd, as dogs’ skin is much more sensitive than humans to water and can be burnt easily.
- Comfort and reassure your dog in a calming, soothing voice.
- Dog shampoo is essential, as human shampoo causes pH issues with dog skin.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Air-dry or use a dog dryer for their hair – using a human air-dryer can cause skin issues.
- Last but not least, reward your Australian Shepherd for their bath to ensure they will want to do it next time, whether it’s a treat, playtime, or a simple cuddle.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best shampoo for Australian Shepherds? – To ensure optimal outcomes for your shepherd, the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo and Conditioner is the way to go. It can depend on a range of issues and if your shepherd is facing skin conditions or allergies consult the guide above.
- How often should you bathe your Australian Shepherd? – Bathing a dog more than once a month can cause issues with natural oils in their skin. This can lead to skin conditions therefore we recommend that Australian Shepherds should not be bathed more than once every 4-6 weeks. If they are inside dogs or tend to avoid getting dirty, then once every 3-6 months is adequate.
- Why does my Australian Shepherd stink? – Australian shepherds can begin to emit an odor if they are not dried properly down to their undercoat. This undercoat does take a little longer to dry and sometimes a deodorizing shampoo can be of great benefit.
- Can I use human shampoos on Australian Shepherds? – Human shampoos tend to be too acidic for dogs and can cause irritations, especially dry skin. When a dog’s skin does exhibit dryness, it can become more prone to parasites and bacteria. This is due to the pH level of a dog’s skin being vastly different to that of human skin.
- Why does my Australian Shepherd still stink after a bath? – Australian Shepherds, like all other dogs, can have that ‘wet dog’ smell after they have finished in the bath. This could be due to a range of factors but mainly due to a thick undercoat which requires drying before the stench may leave. Other reasons for a stinky Australian Shepherd can include a wide array of organisms and yeast living in the shepherd’s coat.
In conclusion, it can be seen that there is a shampoo for every shape, size, age, and breed of dog. From your Australian Shepherd puppy with sensitive skin to your older canine friend with hot spots, the options are wide-ranging in price and ability. We always recommend speaking to a veterinarian before choosing a shampoo, however, once you find the one, your Australian Shepherd will be so much happier… and you will be too!