According to the AKC (American kennel club, AKC.org), the Chihuahua stands at an average of about six and a half inches tall. They weigh in at no more than six pounds. These small pups are known for their loyalty, charm, and big-dog personalities
- Affordable price
- Organic Certified aloe vera
Anyone that has laid eyes on a Chihuahua cannot resist their huge eyes and tiny stature. Chihuahuas can have short or long coats that come in a variety of colors.
If you have the pleasure of owning one of these beautiful dogs and are looking to groom your dog at home, it is important to know what the best products to use for your four-legged best friend. Below we have compiled a list of the best shampoos for the Chihuahua. They are broken down into different categories based on specific needs that you or your dog may have.
What Is The Best Shampoo For Chihuahuas?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Earthbath Shed Control Green Tea & Awapuhi
- TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me Waterless
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoos that we took into consideration
- Medicated: This type of shampoo is designed to treat every type of skin condition from dry, itchy skin caused by allergies or seborrheic skin conditions. to fungal, bacterial, and yeast infections.
- Hypoallergenic: Designed for the dog that may have skin or other allergies, these shampoos will help ease the discomfort that would typically be associated with shampoos that contain perfumes.
- Deodorizing: Just like with human deodorant, deodorizing shampoos are for dogs that tend to have a smell that some humans do not find as pleasant. All dogs have a unique smell. Some breeds, and some dogs within those breeds, have a less pleasant smell than others. This is completely normal for animals.
- Tearless: If you have a pup that is not as calm in the bath as you would like, this type of shampoo may be for you. Tearless means that it will not irritate their eyes and is more gentle on their skin in general. This type of shampoo is great for puppies because younger dogs have more sensitive skin than older dogs and are less likely to be trained to remain calm while being groomed.
- Waterless: This is great for in-between groomings. Waterless shampoos do not need to be rinsed off after they are applied to the coat. You would typically want to use this type of shampoo only once in between regular grooming.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Anti-Fungal/Anti Bacterial: This type of medicated shampoo is for dogs that are suffering from fungal or bacterial infections of the skin. Dogs, like humans, can develop and suffer from fungal and bacterial infections. These infections can cause itching, swelling, and even pain. If not treated these infections could cause a reduction in the quality of life for your pet and/or more severe health problems that may result in death.
- Dander Control: Dander is basically dead skin that falls off. All mammals with hair have and release Dander. When you hear that someone is allergic to dogs, it is not the actual hair that causes a reaction in humans. The dander is the issue here. If someone that is living within the home has had any reaction to your pet, switching to a shampoo that contains a dander control agent could be the way to go.
- Sensitive Skin: Just like in humans, sensitive skin can be an issue for our canine counterparts. This category of shampoos can help the dog with skin that is easily irritated.
- Coat Health: If you desire I thicker or shinier coat, a shampoo that focuses on coat health is the right choice. Not only is a health coat nice to look at and touch, but it is also an indication of the dog’s overall health.
- Redness Remedy: Reduces the appearance of red skin. These types of shampoos are also known as skin calming remedies. The redness of the skin is caused by inflammation of the area due to an irritant of some kind.
Our top choices: There are six categories that we looked at and determined the best shampoo for each.
Overall Best Shampoo for your Chihuahua
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Chihuahuas|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
|Earthbath Shed Control
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
- The soap-free blend creates a rich lather that rinses easily, leaving the skin and coat soft and shiny.
- Ingredients include pure botanical extracts and natural conditioners. These conditioners include sage, aloe vera, rosemary, green tea, and chamomile.
- The alcohol-free formula is made with lavender and mint and makes bathtime a calming and soothing experience.
- It contains wheat protein which is a natural deodorizer and is safe for frequent use, even on puppies.
- Not tested on animals, safe for humans when used as directed, and made in the USA!
Buddy Grooming products are made in the United States and are made with ingredients from nature. There are no artificial ingredients in the formula which promote natural living for your dog. Because all of the products in their line are free of alcohol and other harsh chemicals, they are safe for dogs of any age and will not dry out the skin with frequent use.
With the combination of natural ingredients, and more importantly, lack of artificial and irritating chemicals, this shampoo can be used frequently without any worry or drying out the skin or coat. It is recommended that this product is used every 2 weeks as needed. Your Chihuahua will be soft, fluffy, snuggly, and wonderful smelling after each use. You can rest assured that this product is not only safe but will benefit their skin as well as their notoriously beautiful coats.
- This shampoo has all-natural ingredients.
- There are no dyes or parabens in the formula.
- Non-irritating or drying to the skin even if used as frequently as every 2 weeks.
- It has a pleasant smell during bath time that will help to ward off any bad smells that your dog may run into for up to four weeks.
- It cannot be used on dogs with a wheat allergy.
- Nourishing oatmeal gently cleans and soothes dry skin.
- The oat protein helps to actively hydrate, protect, and nourish dry skin and coat.
- Includes soothing chamomile extract.
- Coconut and plant-derived cleansers are gentle on the skin and coat.
- Certified Organic Aloe Vera juice to help naturally hydrate the skin and coat.
- It contains no dyes or parabens.
- The almond scent adds a light fragrance.
Most Affordable Chihuahua Shampoo – Oats are not only good for human’s dry skin, but for your pets as well. This shampoo is pH balanced and uses mild coconut and plant-derived cleansers to gently clean and deodorize. It does so without parabens or dyes.
The secret ingredient is oatmeal. Oatmeal naturally moisturizes and protects the skin. Soothing organic Aloe Vera and chamomile soothe and hydrate dry, itchy skin and coats. The Almond scent adds a boost of freshness.
- Gentle on all skin types
- Naturally hydrating
- Has a light scent
- No dyes or parabens
- It is not a tear-free formal so it should not be used with puppies.
- More product required for lather
- The formula has 4 benefits in only one product. It cleans, conditions, neutralizes a variety of odors, and deodorizes.
- Gentle and tearless with no dyes or perfumes.
- Soap-free and s ideal for sensitive skin
- Made in the USA and Safe to use with topical products
Best Chihuahua Puppy Shampoo – Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner keeps your new best friend fresh, clean, and comfortable. Its soap-free formula is safe to use with spot-on flea and tick products. It contains no dyes or parabens. Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner is gentle and tearless for sensitive puppy skin.
The benefits of Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner include neutralizing odors, deodorizing, skin and coat cleaning, and conditioning. It is a natural Cocoa Surfactant Shampoo. Nature’s Miracle Natural Puppy Supreme odor Control provides exceptional cleaning, enhanced hair softness, reduced static electricity, and long-term clean.
- Versatile for different coat types
- Creates a nice lather
- Rinses easily
- Gentle on skin
- Cannot be used as frequently as other shampoos
- Has a strong perfume smell as opposed to a natural smell
- Allergy itch relief.
- Leaves your four-legged friend smelling fresh.
- Veterinarian formulated
- Made with a blend of natural ingredients and essential oils.
- Includes oatmeal, d-limonene, and tea tree oil that
- It does not affect topical flea and tick treatments.
- Designed to soothe sensitive skin and alleviate itchiness
Allergy and Itch Control Shampoo for Chihuahuas – Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs can help keep your dog from itching. This shampoo is a veterinarian formulated to help with itching due to allergies. It is made with a blend of natural ingredients and essential oils. These include oatmeal, d-limonene, and tea tree oil.
This allergy relief shampoo for dogs is designed to soothe sensitive skin and alleviate itchiness from allergies. It is crafted to leave your furry buddy smelling spa-day fresh and will not affect topical flea and tick treatments. Vet’s Best grooming products are all-natural solutions made with botanical oils. This offers holistic care options for your dog all over.
- Created by veterinarians
- Natural formula
- Gentle on skin
- Washes away allergens instead of preventing them.
- May not work for all animals and allergens
- Lipacid helps restore the skin barrier by moisturizing and leaving a lipo-protidic file deposited on the skin. This also helps regulate associated seborrhea and inflammation.
- Chlorhexidine and climbazole help control bacteria and fungi populations.
- Phytosphingosine – salicyloyl is a modified pro-ceramide that possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-seborrheic properties, helping eliminate pruritus and itching.
- Deposits long-lasting film resists rinsing and protects from irritations and loss of moisture.
Best Chihuahua shampoo for fungal and bacterial Infections – Treating itchy skin is very important for your pet because it can affect their quality of life. Prolonged itching can lead to injury, infection, or scarring. It is important to not only treat the symptoms but also the underlying condition.
Douxo Chlorhexidine PS is an antiseptic solution that lathers. It also has special moisturizing ingredients which include chlorhexidine, climbazole, and phytosphingosine. These medicated ingredients are for the management of superficial and severe skin conditions.
- Medical strength without the need for a prescription
- Is both antifungal and antibacterial
- Could be dangerous if used incorrectly
- Gentle on skin and hypoallergenic
- Non-drying, non-stripping, soap-free formula
- Helps control flaking and scaling caused by seborrhea
- Contains natural moisturizing ingredients for maintaining skin hydration
- May help the effectiveness of topical flea and tick products
Best Hypoallergenic shampoo for Chihuahuas – HyLyt Shampoo for Dogs is gentle, hypoallergenic, and a soap-free formulation. This shampoo contains emollients for moisturizing, protein for conditioning, and an optimal pH balance. Natural moisturizers promote hydration of your pet’s skin and coat. Essential fatty acids nourish skin and help the control of flaking and scaling.
HyLyt shampoo’s formula is non-stripping and non-drying. It may also aid in the effectiveness of topical flea and tick products. Hylyt is made in the United States of America.
- Has natural ingredients
- Creates a good lather
- Pleasant smell
- It can be expensive compared to other shampoos within the same class.
5 Other Top Rated Chihuahua Shampoos
Earthbath Shed Control with Green Tea & Awapuhi Dog & Cat Conditioner stops shedding while maintaining a clean and fresh feeling. Earthbath with antioxidants and skin moisturizers that are found in nature. The ingredients are organic and fair trade. Some ingredients include; shea butter, glycerin, and allantoin, green tea extract, and omega-6 fatty acids. These thoughtfully chosen natural ingredients help to moisturize and protect the skin.
Papaya Plus 2 in 1 Shampoo from TropiClean safely replenishes the moisture balance of your pet’s skin. Mango and coconut clean and relaxes tangled fur. This allows for easy, no pull brushing. Papaya and white kiwi help to nourish dry skin and condition the coat.
This Rinseless, waterless foam shampoo gently cleans your pet without all of the hassles of a bath. The natural formula cleans and moisturizes pets’ coats. this product would be perfect for agility pets, hunting dogs, smelly pets, in-between grooming, for pets that have been at the beach, in the lake, swimming pool, or anytime a full bath is not an option.
Burt’s Bees Oatmeal with Colloidal Oat Flour Dog Shampoo is made with natural ingredients like colloidal oat flour and honey. Colloidal oat flour helps to deeply condition dry skin and honey promotes a shiny coat. This gentle shampoo is completely pH balanced for dogs. just like other Burt’s Bees products, it’s made in the USA without artificial fragrances, chemicals, parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, or sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). This shampoo can be used with topical flea and tick treatments when used as directed.
Allerpet Dog Dander Remover was Created specifically for homes with dogs. this treatment allows you to not only love them but, enjoy them as well. The scientifically-proven formula works by removing the dander before it becomes airborne. It also cleanses and conditions the skin and fur. This product can reduce dander loads in the home by up to 50% when used weekly—no bathing required, which will keep your pet’s skin from getting dry and flaky and spreading even more allergens.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best shampoo for Chihuahua? – Oour overall pick would be Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo Conditioner
- How often should you bathe your Chihuahua? – Depending on the shampoo you are using and your dog’s specific needs. We recommend bathing your pup every 2-4 weeks.
- Why does my Chihuahua stink? – There are many reasons that your pet may stink. One of them is if they go outside, they may have gotten into something not so pleasant smelling while exploring. Another reason they may smell is due to their natural skin and oil production. To other dogs, this may be the loveliest smell they have ever experienced. However, to humans, it can be off-putting.
- Can I use human shampoos on my Chihuahua? – We never recommend using products designed for humans on your pets. This could cause irritation and other issues that are detrimental to their health.
- Why does my Chihuahua still stink after a bath? – You may want to try a stronger smelling shampoo. You may also want to try one with a wider range of deodorizers such as our overall pick for Bichon Frise shampoos.
Our pets are part of our families and therefore we are rightfully picky about the products we use for their grooming needs. When searching for a grooming product for your best friend it is important to take into consideration their health needs, such as dry skin, as well as their coat texture. For the chihuahua and their varying coats, it is important to choose a grooming product that is moisturizing but not heavy. It is also important to understand what your priorities as an owner are when it comes to natural versus lab-created ingredients. We hope the above information will help you make the best choice for you, your family, and your Chihuahua