Malteses are an incredibly common dog throughout the community, with all different colors, shapes, and sizes being seen every day. From toy and miniature Malteses to standard-sized Maltese and everything in between, Malteses offer great companionship and an intelligent furry best friend.
But, just like all other breeds of dog, Malteses need a bath sometimes too. And, given the huge array of shampoos that are currently available on the market, it can be a little overwhelming to determine which type is best for your four-legged family member. So, to help you out a little, we have put together some information about some of the best shampoos around – keep reading to learn more!
What Is The Best Shampoo For Maltese?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo
- Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoos for Maltese
There are 6 common types of shampoo that are used to bathe Maltese:
- Medicated – One of the best ways to manage or treat skin concerns or skin allergies is to use a medicated shampoo. Common concerns or conditions such as bacterial infections, seborrhoea skin conditions, or even just itchy/dry skin require a shampoo that will ease some of the discomforts and help treat the underlying condition. Medicated shampoos are exactly what could be required, and it is best to have a consultation with a vet to find the most appropriate medicated shampoo that can manage the concern or condition. There is a great range of medicated shampoos for almost all skin conditions, so there is something for everyone.
- Hypoallergenic – One thing to be wary of is that some shampoos contain allergens that will cause irritation to Maltese’s skin. Hypoallergenic shampoo may be the best path for a Maltese especially if they suffer from skin conditions related to allergens. Hypo-Allergenic shampoos could help settle your Malteses skin without the need for medicated shampoo if the skin condition is related to certain allergens.
- Deodorizing – From time to time a Maltese can develop a bit of an odor that isn’t very pleasant. To help combat this and eventually alleviate it, there are deodorizing shampoos available. Deodorizing shampoos are used when dog odors cannot be controlled by regular shampoo, and you need a bit of extra help in combating some of the awful smells coming from your Maltese. A deodorizing shampoo will help clean all the way down to your Maltese’s skin and nullify some of the strong odors that can develop.\
- Tearless – Tearless Shampoo is not too dissimilar to the human tearless shampoo, as it helps with the sensation of burning or stinging of the eyes. By using tearless shampoo, even the most cautious of Malteses can avoid any of the issues of getting shampoo in their eyes. By using tearless shampoo, the shampooing and cleaning process can become a far more enjoyable one for both owner and Maltese.
- Waterless – For an alternative to the full bathing and shampooing experience, there is waterless shampoo. This type of shampoo is a speedier and easier process than the full bathing option. Waterless shampoo does not require water and it is usually available in gel, foam, spray, or powder forms. It does not need to be washed out and will draw out the excess oil and dirt from your Malteses’ skin.
- Shed Control – To help control a Malteses shedding there is a shampoo that has been created that will help manage the issue. It is a very common problem for the Maltese and uses the power of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. These two fatty acids have been proven to help reduce the amount of shedding a Maltese does and strengthen its coat.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Anti-Fungal/Anti-Bacterial – The use of the terms ‘anti-fungal’ and ‘anti-bacterial’ is quite common these days, especially when it comes to shampoos and other washes. When it comes to dog shampoos, these are often classified as medicated shampoos, due to them having a lot of the same qualities. Anti-fungal/anti-bacterial shampoos offer relief from scratching, in addition to assisting clear up any yeast or bacterial infections, or even mange. Always check the label though.
- Dander Control – If you suffer from allergies, then dander control shampoo is already something you have likely considered. Choosing to wash your Maltese in dander control shampoo can assist with allergy control and the removal of pet allergens, which can make a pet owner’s life a lot more pleasant.
- Sensitive Skin – If you have a Maltese with sensitive skin, you’ll know how important it is to choose a shampoo that is properly-suited to their needs. Any shampoo that isn’t right can make their skin worse, so sensitive skin shampoos with gentle ingredients are a great option. They can soothe and comfort any areas of discomfort, and usually smell really good too!
- Skin & Coat Health – The best thing about a Maltese is their lovely thick and curly coat, and the best way to ensure their coat health is an appropriate shampoo. Shampoos that include omegas are ideal in ensuring a great skin and coat feel and ensure you can keep your Malteses coat from becoming dull or irritated and red.
- Itch & Redness Remedy – A common concerning skin issue is itchiness and redness, and this could be due to a range of factors. There might be an underlying issue or a food/skin allergy causing this issue and there are several shampoos designed to soothe and treat these issues. These shampoos are ideal in treating itchiness and redness as well as the possibility of scratching and sores. More often than not these shampoos are also medicated or hypoallergenic which will most likely soothe the issues faced by your Maltese.
- Calming – Last, of all, a calming shampoo can be ideal in treating mild issues for your Maltese. Calming shampoos offer similar benefits to the itchiness and redness/medicated/hypoallergenic shampoos but in a milder form.
Overall Best Shampoo for Malteses
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Maltese|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
|Earthbath Shed Control
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
- Includes natural conditioners and pure botanical extracts such as sage, aloe vera, rosemary, green tea, and chamomile.
- alcohol and soap-free.
- Lathers easily and washes off easily.
- 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner formula.
- Coconut based and combined with lavender and mint, offering a soothing bath experience.
Overall, the best shampoo for a Maltese is the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner. It is a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner that offers a soap-free formula and contains cosmetic-grade botanical extracts and essential oils, meaning your canine will be smelling super fresh after every bath time.
Buddy Wash Shampoo is made from only simple and natural ingredients, such as green tea, aloe vera, lavender, and mint, so no harsh chemicals are being placed on your Maltese’s skin at any time. These shampoos are also safe for humans, as well as animals and are made in the USA,
- Wheat protein is a natural deodorizer and is safe for frequent use – even puppies.
- Leaves skin silky, soft and shiny.
- Made in the USA.
- Not tested on animals and can even be used on humans.
- The formula does not repel fleas.
- It can cause issues for dogs with a wheat allergy.
- Known to be a gentle shampoo.
- It does not contain any dyes or parabens.
- It contains oatmeal to soothe skin.
- Oat protein actively hydrates, protects, and nourishes the skin.
- It contains Certified Organic Aloe Vera Juice to assist with skin hydration and coat health.
Most Affordable Maltese Shampoo – If you are searching for a more affordable shampoo, look no further than Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs and Cats. Although it may sit at a lower price point, it contains a range of beneficial ingredients such as oat protein to protect and hydrate your Maltese’s skin, as well as chamomile extract to soothe irritations.
Another positive of Frisco shampoo is its subtle almond smell, however, some pet owners have suggested that this fragrance isn’t very nice once bath time is over but, overall, your Australian Shephard will finish being washed with soothed skin and a great looking coat. There are even coconut and plant-derived cleaners in this formula – an added bonus!
- Can relieve itching
- Great for affordability
- Helps with a Soft coat following washing.
- Not tearless.
- May leave an unpleasant odor after washing
- 2-in-1 gentle shampoo and conditioner.
- Offers 4-in-1 benefits including neutralizing odors, deodorizing, skin and coat cleansing, and rich conditioning.
- Tearless and soap-free formula that is ideal for sensitive skin.
- Does not contain any dyes or perfumes.
- Fresh spring waters scent.
- Made in the USA and safe to use with topical products.
Best Maltese Puppy Shampoo – If you have been lucky enough to introduce a gorgeous Maltese puppy into your life, you want to know that you are using the best shampoo to keep them fresh, clean, and looking great. Nature’s Miracle offers great odor control, 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner for your newest furry family member offering odor neutralization, deodorizing, skin and coat cleaning and conditioning
It is also tearless, gentle and does not contain any dyes or perfumes, as well as safe to use with any spot-on tick and flea products you may be using. Nature’s Miracle is also soap-free and is a natural Cocoa Surfactant shampoo, meaning it offers a thorough clean as well as reduced static electricity.
- Offers a soft and silky coat.
- Great odor deodorization.
- Affordable price point.
- Makes your puppy smell great.
- Gentle on puppy skin.
- Good scent does not last long.
- Designed to wash away allergens, which results in the soothing of sensitive skin and improves itchiness.
- Formulated by veterinarians with a balanced range of essential oils and natural ingredients.
- Designed to leave your Maltese smelling fresh and clean.
- Offers itch relief for both allergies and skin irritations.
Allergy and Itch Control Shampoo for Maltese – If you are looking for a great allergy and itch control shampoo for your Maltese, Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo is a great option for both. Containing oatmeal, d-limonene, and tea tree oil, this shampoo offers the perfect balance of natural ingredients to help out sensitive skin and help relieve itchiness.
The combination of ingredients do not affect topical flea and tick treatments, making this a good option for your Maltese at any time of year. It also makes your furry family member smell great, while washing away any allergens that could be causing problems.
- Super silky and shiny coat.
- Do not have to leave on your dog for extended periods.
- Great scent.
- Suitable for both sensitive skin and skin allergies.
- Made in the USA.
- Does not lather well.
- Cannot be used on puppies under the age of 12 weeks.
- It contains both chlorhexidine and climbazole – both of which assist with bacteria control and control of fungi populations.
- Lipacid assists with restoring the skin barrier through moisturizing and providing a lipo-protidic file deposit.
- Seborrhea and inflammation are regulated through the use of Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl and lipacid as well.
- A film that offers irritation protection and defies rinsing is deposited on the skin after use to avoid moisture loss.
- Formula contains 3.0% Chlorhexidine Gluconate, 0.5% Climbazole, and 0.05% Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl.
Fungal and Bacterial Infections – The Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo is a great option if your Maltese is suffering from skin inflammation caused by bacteria or a yeast infection, as well as seborrhea (or ‘hotspots’). It lathers up really well without having to use a lot of product which, considering its higher price bracket, is a great thing as it lasts a lot longer! Duoxo contains ingredients with a range of moisturizing ingredients such as chlorhexidine, climbazole, and phytosphingosine to help with both superficial and severe skin conditions.
Not only does it help with skin irritations, but it also leaves your Malteses coat feeling super smooth and healthy, as well as having a pleasant smell that isn’t too medical-like. You will likely see results after only a few washes, making it a great choice for any Maltese who needs relief sooner rather than later. And it makes them look nice and clean too!
- Anti-microbial and anti-yeast.
- Lathers well.
- Cost-effective, as lasts a long time.
- Pleasant smell.
- It offers smooth and silky fur.
- More expensive than other fungal shampoos.
- Has to sit on the coat for 10 minutes before washing.
- Contains natural moisturizing ingredients.
- Both gentle and hypoallergenic.
- Soap-free formula.
- Maintains skin hydration.
- Non-stripping and non-drying.
Soap Free & Hypoallergenic – HyLyt Shampoo for Dogs & Cats offers a gentle soap-free and hypoallergenic formula for Malteses of all shapes and sizes. The perfect pH balance and emollients for moisture and hydration ensure lower irritation to your dog’s skin, as well as protein for conditioning.
If your Maltese is a known suffered from seborrhea, otherwise known as hotspots, HyLyt is full of essential fatty acids that nourish the skin, as well as helping to control both scaling and flaking. It is also non-drying and non-stripping, and may even help with topical flea and tick products.
- Helps control flaking and scaling caused by seborrhea
- Can potentially benefit topical flea and tick products.
- Great lather without having to use a lot of product.
- Smells great.
- Easily rinsed.
- Not all ingredients are from the USA.
5 Other Top-Rated Maltese Shampoos
If you are looking for another option for shed control, look no further than Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo. Its formula contains organic shea butter, glycerin, and allantoin, which focus on nourishing your dog’s skin and locking in moisture. Finally, green tea extract and omega-6 fatty acids are added to the mix, aiming to protect the skin and fix any damage that can cause shedding.
Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo and Conditioner is a great choice if you are looking for a shampoo that smells delicious and still does a great job washing your Maltese. It is a 2-in-1 formula that assists with moisture levels on the skin, with mango and coconut assisting with the release of tangled fur, and papaya, and kiwi to take care of dry skin (and get your Maltese’s coat looking amazing).
If you haven’t considered waterless shampoo before now, you definitely should! Ark Naturals offer a great waterless shampoo for those looking for something good without the need for bath time. This shampoo both cleans and refreshes your Maltese without bathing, with the shampoo foam providing everything you need to get your Maltese’s coat looking great. It consists of a natural botanical formula, offering you peace of mind when it comes to the product – and makes your furry friend smell great too.
Not only do Burt’s Bees offer a great range of products suited to humans, but they also offer a range of products for dogs and Malteses. Consisting of natural ingredients including colloidal oat flour and honey is made in the USA and has the ideal pH balance for your Maltese’s skin while nourishing and moisturizing it. It is also made without any artificial fragrances, chemicals, parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, or sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), as well as being bottled in recycled packaging too.
Allerpet Dog Dander Remover is the one to choose if you are looking for a scientifically proven formula that helps remove dander from your Maltese before it becomes airborne. If used weekly, this product has been shown to reduce up to 50% of dander and is simple to apply – place it on a towel and wipe down your canine friend… that’s it! No wet and traumatic bath time is required, and the formula is both non-toxic and non-oily, meaning no nasties are left behind that can attract more allergens.
Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Maltese
See below for the 7 steps to bathing your Maltese:
- Brush your Maltese before a bath, if you do not, matted hair could form and hold water.
- Pour lukewarm water over them, as dogs’ skin is much more sensitive than humans’ water and can be burnt easily. *Tip – place cotton balls in your dog’s ears if you are concerned about water getting into them.
- Use a calming and comforting voice to reassure your Maltese.
- Do not use human shampoo, only dog shampoo due to pH issues with Malteses skin.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Use a dog-dryer or air-dry your Maltese.
- Malteses love to be rewarded, so reward your special friend with treats/playtime or even just a friendly pat.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best shampoo for Malteses? – To ensure optimal outcomes for your Maltese, the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo and Conditioner is the way to go. It can depend on a range of issues and if your Maltese is facing skin conditions or allergies consult the guide above.
- How often should you bathe your Maltese? – Bathing a dog more than once a month can cause issues with natural oils in their skin. This can lead to skin conditions therefore we recommend that Malteses should not be bathed more than once every 4-6 weeks. If they are inside dogs or tend to avoid getting dirty, then once every 3-6 months is adequate.
- Why does my Maltese stink? – Malteses can begin to emit an odor if they are not dried properly down to their undercoat. This undercoat does take a little longer to dry and sometimes a deodorizing shampoo can be of great benefit.
- Can I use human shampoos on Malteses? – Human shampoos tend to be too acidic for dogs and can cause irritations, especially dry skin. When a dog’s skin does exhibit dryness, it can become more prone to parasites and bacteria. This is due to the pH level of a dog’s skin being vastly different to that of human skin.
- Why does my Maltese still stink after a bath? – Malteses, like all other dogs, can have that ‘wet dog’ smell after they have finished in the bath. This could be due to a range of factors but mainly due to a thick undercoat which requires drying before the stench may leave. Other reasons for a stinky Maltese can include a wide array of organisms and yeast living in the Maltese’s coat.
In conclusion, it can be seen that there is a shampoo for every shape, size, age, and breed of dog. From your Maltese puppy with sensitive skin to your older canine friend with hot spots, the options are wide-ranging in price and ability. We always recommend speaking to a veterinarian before choosing a shampoo, however, once you find the one, your Maltese will be so much happier… and you will be too!