Malteses have always stood out as an intelligent and loyal breed of dog. Ranging from small miniature Malteses to the more standard-sized pooch that most people would be familiar with, they are a great addition to any family or home.
Just like all their other various four legged cousins, Malteses need regular baths. The huge choice of shampoo that is available can often be daunting, so we have helped you out by putting together a list of the best shampoos you can pick up for your small and furry best friend.
What Is The Best Shampoo For Maltese?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo
- Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoos for Maltese
The shampoos we will be exploring today can be sorted into 6 different categories:
- Medicated – Medicated shampoos are great for managing more sensitive skin. If your Maltese suffers from allergies, a bacterial infection, dry/itchy skin or even seborrhoea skin conditions, then using a medicated shampoo will help to both reduce some of the discomfort and even aid in helping with the underlying condition. It is a good idea to consult a vet on what the most effective medicated shampoo will be for your dog, as the range is massive. There are shampoos specific for almost every condition involving the skin, meaning that there will likely be a perfect choice for your furry friend.
- Hypoallergenic – If the skin condition your Maltese suffers from is primarily allergy-related, then using some shampoos may exacerbate this allergy. Because of this, a hypoallergenic shampoo may be the best bet, as it could help to ease any allergy flare-ups in your Maltese. A good hypoallergenic shampoo could also mean that a medicated shampoo is unneeded, if your Malteses skin condition is primarily related to specific allergens.
- Deodorizing – As with all pets, Malteses can sometimes start to smell a bit unpleasant. To overcome this and make sure that they eventually stop smelling badly altogether, a deodorizing shampoo is usually the best bet. These types of shampoos are used when normal shampoo is not helping the smell enough. A deodorizing shampoo will clean the hair follicles all the way down to the skin, giving the best possible chance of alleviating any nasty smells coming from your Maltese.
- Tearless – You may recognise this type of shampoo; there is also a human-targeted shampoo called Tearless. The version for Malteses is not too dissimilar, as it aims to reduce any pain or issues that could arise from getting shampoo in your pets’ eyes. Using tearless shampoo can make the cleaning process much more enjoyable for everyone involved.
- Waterless – This is a shampoo that aims to do away with the traditional cleaning process. It does not need water or the long process of bathing to work. Instead, it is available in gel, foam, spray or powder form. It can be simply applied to remove any excess oil or dirt form your Malteses skin. Furthermore, it does not need to be washed off, speeding up the process of bathing even more.
- Shed Control – This is a shampoo developed specifically to combat the issue of shedding in your Maltese. Because this is a known problem with Malteses, this shampoo has been developed to target the issue directly. It contains omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, with have been shown to reduce shedding in Malteses, as well as strengthening their coats.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Anti-Fungal/Anti-Bacterial – These shampoos are designed to help with any yeast or bacterial infections, so are a great choice for a Maltese who is displaying symptoms of an infection. They are often classified as medicated shampoos due to them having many of the same qualities. They will directly help your Maltese to overcome issues with excessive scratching and other infection-based symptoms. Make sure to check any labels before buying to ensure that the shampoo you are purchasing is suitable for your pet. Talking to a veterinarian is also always a good idea when buying anti-infection shampoo.
- Dander Control – This shampoo is amazing at assisting with allergy control and removal of any allergens that may be causing discomfort to your Maltese.
- Sensitive Skin – These shampoos are made for sensitive skin, making them a perfect choice for a Maltese who has skin that reacts badly to other types of shampoos. Any shampoo that isn’t right could make sensitive skin worse, therefore this type of shampoo is recommended for Malteses with easily irritated skin. They usually also smell really good!
- Skin and Coat Health – Malteses are known for their unique and beautiful coats and as someone who is concerned with keeping their Malteses fur as healthy as possible, a Skin and Coat Health shampoo is the best option. Shampoos that contain essential fatty acids such as omega, which will keep your Malteses skin and coat in top shape.
- Itch and Redness Remedy – A recurring issue with pets is their irritated and red skin. This could be due to underlying issues, a skin allergy or even a food allergy. It is important to pick a shampoo that will help with this, such as an Itch and Redness Remedy shampoo. These shampoos help with all of the above, as well as scratching and sores. These kinds of shampoos are often medicated/hypoallergenic so will help your Maltese with any underlying issues.
- Calming – Finally, a calming shampoo is great for dealing with small issues with your Maltese. These are very similar to Medicated/Hypoallergenic shampoos but are much lighter and milder than any of them.
Overall Best Shampoo for Malteses
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Maltese|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats ||CHECK PRICE|
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control ||CHECK PRICE|
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Earthbath Shed Control ||CHECK PRICE|
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut ||CHECK PRICE|
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me ||CHECK PRICE|
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover ||CHECK PRICE|
- Is infused with non-artificial conditioners and pure botanical extracts, including sage, aloe vera, green tea/camomile and rosemary.
- Contain no alcohol or soap
- Easy to apply and wash off
- 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner
- Coconut-based and containing lavender and mint, which will provide a calming and relaxed bathing experience
Best Overall – The best overall shampoo for a Maltese is the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo and Conditioner. This shampoo is the one that is the most versatile and is suitable for the most different types of Malteses. Not to mention, it excels in nearly every way when it comes to giving your Maltese a comfortable, fresh bath. It does not contain alcohol or soap; instead, it replaces them with a variety of natural ingredients, such as sage, aloe vera, rosemary, lavender and mint, among others. Finally, this shampoo is also safe for people, showing how versatile it truly is.
- Contains wheat protein which is a natural deodorizer and is safe and effective for use over long periods of time. This is true for both puppies and older dogs.
- Leaves the skin feeling silky and soft, with a healthy shine to it.
- Made in the USA.
- Is not tested on animals; can be used with people too.
- The formula not have a repelling effect on fleas
- Is unsuitable for dogs with wheat allergies
- Gentle and Soothing.
- Contains no dyes or parabens.
- The shampoo contains oatmeal which is great for soothing the skin.
- Contains oat protein which hydrates and nourishes the skin. Oat protein also has a protective effect on skin.
- Contains Certified Organic Aloe Vera Juice, which helps to hydrate the skin and keep the coat healthy.
Most Affordable – By far the best value for money shampoo here, Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs and Cats still contains a wide range of healthy ingredients, such as oat protein and chamomile extract. This means your Maltese will be hydrated and protected against annoying irritation. The shampoo also boasts a subtle almond smell, which for some might be a nice addition. However, some may find that this scent is less pleasant after the bath, but overall, your Malteses fur will be silky smooth and their skin will be replenished.
- Helps with irritation.
- Great value for money.
- Makes your Malteses coat soft and silky to the touch.
- Not tearless.
- Some may find the odour unpleasant after washing.
- 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner.
- Offers 4-in-1 benefits such as improving odor, skin and coat cleansing and fur conditioning.
- Tearless and soap-free formula.
- No dyes or perfumes.
- Has a scent of fresh spring waters.
- Made in the USA and is suitable for use with topical products.
Best Maltese Puppy Shampoo – Introducing a Maltese puppy to your family is one of the greatest joys of life and you want to make sure that they are at their healthiest as they grow older. This shampoo will help with any unwanted odors, as well as skin/coat cleaning and conditioning. It is tearless, containing no dyes or perfumes so is suitable for younger, more sensitive puppies. It is also safe to use with any tick or flea products that you may be using.
Finally, it is soap free and a natural Cocoa Surfactant shampoo, meaning it delivers an amazing bathing experience, with a reduction in static electricity.
- Makes your puppies coat soft and silky
- Helps with any unpleasant odors
- Gentle on puppy skin
- The good scent will not last very long
- Is great for washing away unwanted allergens, removing itchiness and soothing your Malteses skin.
- Designed by veterinarians using a perfect balance of essential oils and natural ingredients.
- Delivers a fresh and clean smell.
- Helps with both allergies and skin irritations.
Allergy and Itch Control – This shampoo is a great choice when it comes to a shampoo that is specifically designed to help with allergens and itchiness. It contains oatmeal, d-limonene and tea tree oil, as well as other natural ingredients to give your Maltese a wholesome and enriching bathing experience.
This can be used with topical flea and tick treatments. It also has a fantastic smell, which will mean your Maltese will always smell fresh and clean.
- Gives your Maltese a shiny and silky coat.
- Suitable for a quick an easy wash.
- Smells great.
- Helps with both sensitive skin and skin allergies.
- Made in the USA.
- Does not lather very well.
- Cannot be used on dogs below the age of 12 weeks.
- Contains chlorhexidine and climbazole, which both help to destroy bacterial and fungal infections.
- Also contains Lipacid, which helps to restore the skin barrier via moisturizing and providing a lipo-protidic file deposit.
- Seborrhea and inflammation are reduced by the use of Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl and lipacid, which are both in this shampoo.
- This shampoo prevents moisture loss via a protective film which is deposited on the skin after use. This protective film is protected against rinsing.
- The formula contains 3% Chlorhexidine Gluconate, 0.5% Climbazole and 0.05% Phytosphingosine Salicyloyl.
Fungal and Bacterial Infections – This shampoo is a great choice if your Maltese is suffering from skin inflammation due to a bacterial or yeast infection, as well as protecting them against Seborrhea. It also lathers up very well without having to use a lot all at once, meaning that it will last for a long time. This shampoo contains a range of moisturizing ingredients such as Chlorhexidine, Climbazole, and Phytosphingosine, all of which help with both mild and severe skin conditions.
Not only does this shampoo help with infections and skin conditions, but it also smells great!
- Antimicrobial and anti-yeast
- Lathers exceptionally well
- Cost-effective as it will last a very long time
- More expensive than other shampoos of its type
- Has to sit on coat for 10 minutes before being rinsed off
- Contains moisturizing ingredients which are all-natural
- Gentle and Hypoallergenic
- Keeps skin hydrated
- Non-stripping and non-drying
Soap Free and Hypoallergenic – HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Essential Fatty Acids for Dogs and Cats is a great gentle, soap-free and hypoallergenic shampoo for your Maltese. This shampoo maintains a perfect pH balance, keeping the coat moisturised and hydrated. It is also great for treating Seborrhea, or ‘hot-spots’ as they are called by some. It does this via the massive number of essential fatty acids it contains. This shampoo is also great for controlling scaling and flaking of the skin, as well as being a great companion for topical flea/tick products.
- Helps to control flaking/scaling/Seborrhea
- Can help topical flea/tick products
- Lathers very well
- Smells great
- Washes off easily when rinsing
- Not all ingredients are from the USA
5 Other Top-Rated Maltese Shampoos
Another great option for shed control, this shampoo contains shea butter, glycerin and allantoin, which nourish and moisturize your Maltese’s skin. Green tea extract and omega-6 fatty acids are also in the formula, meaning your dog’s skin will be protected and shielded from shedding.
This shampoo is a great choice if you are looking for a bathing experience that is relaxing for both you and your pet. It smells great and the 2-in-1 formula helps to moisturize the skin, with mango and coconut extracts helping with tangled fur. It also contains papaya and kiwi extracts, which are very beneficial for dry skin.
The fantastic waterless shampoo ‘Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me Waterless Dog & Cat Shampoo’ can be used without bathing your Maltese. The shampoo foam provides everything you may need to clean and refresh your Maltese, leaving them with a great looking coat and a beautiful smell. The natural botanical formula means that there are no artificial cleaners in it, ensuring a great experience for both you and your furry friend.
This shampoo consists of only natural ingredients, such as colloidal oat flour and honey. It has the ideal pH balance for the skin of your Maltese. It is bottled with recycled plastic and is utterly devoid of artificial fragrances. Made entirely in the USA, you can be sure of product satisfaction.
This is a scientifically proven formula which aids in the removal of dander from your Maltese before it wafts into the air. If you use this product weekly, it will remove up to 50% of dander. All you need to do is apply it to a towel and wipe your Maltese with it. No bathing is required, and the formula is both non-toxic and non-oily.
Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Maltese
Below we list the 7 steps you need to follow to bathe your Maltese effectively.
- Brush your Maltese before the bath. This is to prevent matted fur.
- Use lukewarm water, since dogs are much more sensitive than humans to hot water on their skin. Tip – Placing cotton balls in your dog’s ears will prevent water from getting into them.
- Talk to your Maltese in a calming and comforting voice, as this may be scary for them.
- Use only dog shampoo with your Maltese, as their skin is a different pH to humans.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Use a dog dryer, or simply air dry.
- Malteses love rewards, so give them a treat or play a game with them to reward them for bath time
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best shampoo for Malteses? The Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo and Conditioner is the best overall shampoo for Malteses. However, if your Maltese needs a more specific shampoo due to a skin allergy or a different issue, consult the guide above.
- How often should you bathe your Maltese? You should not bathe your Maltese more than once a month, as this can cause skin conditions due to imbalances with natural oils in their skin. We recommend that Malteses should be bathed once every 4-6 weeks. If they are kept inside or are rarely dirty, then once every 3-6 months is best.
- Why does my Maltese stink? Malteses can smell if they are not dried down properly. Their undercoat usually takes longer to dry and so can cause an odor. A deodorizing shampoo would be very good to help with this.
- Can I use human shampoos on Malteses? Human shampoos are too acidic for Malteses, due to differences in pH between a human’s skin and a Maltese’s. It can cause them to have dry skin, which in turn can cause the skin to be more prone to bacteria and parasites.
- Why does my Maltese still stink after a bath? Maltese’s undercoats need to be dried really thoroughly, otherwise they may exude a damn smell which can be unpleasant. This could also be due to an infection, either from bacteria or from yeast.
To conclude, it is clear that there is a shampoo for every type of Maltese out there. Whether your Maltese enjoys spending time with you in the house, curled up on your lap, or out in the park exploring the great outdoors, there is a shampoo for him or her. Whether your Maltese is perfectly healthy or is suffering from dry skin, fleas, irritation, allergies or some sort of infection, you can be sure there is a shampoo perfectly suited to them! We always recommend talking to a veterinarian before choosing a shampoo, but once you find one that both you and your Maltese like, they will be much happier.