Having a dog around the house is great fun – they’re cute, they’re funny, and they will love you unconditionally. However, being a dog owner comes with a number of different responsibilities, with the main one being to keep your dog healthy and clean.
Thankfully, with the invention of special dog shampoos and conditioners, maintaining your dog’s hygiene has never been easier! There are lots of different types of dog shampoos out there, ranging from standard cleansing and moisturizing formulas to more specialized versions that can help treat allergies and various skin conditions.
Picking the right kind of shampoo to use on your Pomeranian is incredibly important – one wrong ingredient can, unfortunately, set off a nasty allergic reaction, or can make your pooch’s fur lose its shine.
That’s why we’ve compiled some important information about the different types of dog shampoo available for your Pomeranian, as well as some of the best-rated products you could buy from each category!
What Is The Best Shampoo For Pomeranians?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats, Almond Scent
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural Puppy
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Essential Fatty Acids
- Earthbath Shed Control Green Tea & Awapuhi
- TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me Waterless
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo with Colloidal Oat Flour & Honey
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoo for Pomeranians
- Medicated – This type of shampoo is perfect for dogs that may be suffering from skin or coat issues. Things like itchiness and hair loss can be easily treated using a medicated shampoo, though do make sure to contact your vet before purchasing any to make sure it’s right for your dog.
- Deodorizing – Let’s be honest, sometimes our dogs stink. Despite being perfectly healthy, your Pomeranian will come home from your daily walk smelling absolutely horrible, and no number of baths will seemingly be able to fix it. Using a deodorizing shampoo should be the answer to all your stink-related problems!
- Tearless – Nothing’s worse than getting some shampoo in your eye and feeling like you’re going to be blind for the rest of your life. Dogs, unfortunately, go through the exact thing as we humans do when some shampoo gets into their eyes, so why not purchase a super delicate formula that will save them the pain and stress? Tearless shampoos are particularly helpful if your dog hates sitting still while getting a bath.
- Shed Control – Pomeranians can shed a lot of hair. These little fluff balls not only shed consistently throughout the year, but they also shed super heavily twice a year during shedding season. This can be a nightmare for their owners, especially if there aren’t any lint rollers lying around! Using a shed control shampoo will help to minimize hair shedding, without getting rid of it completely.
- Waterless – Just like the name suggests, waterless shampoos let you clean your dog without the use of water. They can really save you time when you’re on the go and don’t have access to a bath to rinse off your furry friend, or if you own a dog that really, really hates water.
- Hypoallergenic – Any dog breed can develop skin problems, but Pomeranians can be particularly prone to a range of allergies and skin diseases. This means that they’ll need to use a shampoo that is both gentle enough to not further aggravate the symptoms, and that has the right ingredients to try and prevent future problems.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Dander Control – Dander is basically dead skin, and every single dog sheds it. This can cause issues for owners who have allergies, especially during heavier shedding months. Dander control shampoos work to reduce the amount of dander your dog sheds, adding moisture to their skin to stop dry skin from shedding.
- Sensitive Skin – Many dogs will experience having sensitive skin at least once in their lifetime. Your responsibility as an owner is to reduce the pain and discomfort that your dog may be feeling because of its sensitive skin, and an easy way to do that is to use shampoos that are specially designed for sensitive skin.
- Itch & Redness Remedy – Whether it’s because of an allergic reaction, dry skin, or your dog rolling around in some stinging nettles, itchy and irritated skin can be a huge problem for Pomeranians. Their fluffy fur may be covering up some nasty rashes, so be sure to check your dog daily. Using a shampoo that has soothing and moisturizing properties will reduce skin itchiness and redness, and may prevent any future complications.
- Calming – Pomeranians can be pretty emotional. They range from total drama queens to being fearful of anything that comes to close, and it’s your job to make them feel at ease when at home. A shampoo with calming properties can really aid you, as it will help your dog relax and learn to not be as fearful of new things.
- Anti-Fungal/Anti-Bacterial – Anti-fungal and anti-bacterial shampoos will kill off the majority of bacteria, viruses, and fungi that may have found their way onto your dog’s fur. Warmth and wetness provide a perfect breeding ground for those microorganisms, so these shampoos are particularly helpful if you live in a humid climate.
- Skin & Coat Health – Shampoos that promote good skin and coat health need to a part of your dog grooming routine if you have a Pomeranian. These dogs are quite prone to having dry skin and experiencing hair loss, so you need something to reduce and prevent these conditions.
Overall Best Shampoo for Pomeranians
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Pomeranians|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
|Earthbath Shed Control
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
- Made with a coconut-based liquid and no added alcohol.
- One bottle contains both shampoo and conditioner.
- Uses wheat protein as a natural deodorizer – works on even the dirtiest of puppies!
- Not tested on animals and safe for human use.
- Contains natural aloe vera, rosemary, and green tea extracts.
The lavender and mint essential oils contained within the Buddy Wash formula will work wonders, soothing any irritated skin and working as delicate aromatherapy to help calm your furry friend down during bath time.
The all-natural ingredients found in the shampoo can also help protect your dog’s skin from any unwanted allergic reactions, as well as adding a beautiful shine and softness to its fur.
- Simple formula made from completely natural and safe ingredients.
- Leaves your dog’s coat incredibly soft and shiny.
- Safe to use on irritated and dry skin.
- Two products combined in one bottle.
- May cause an allergic reaction if your dog has a wheat allergy; consult with a vet before purchasing.
- Has a combination of oatmeal, chamomile, and aloe vera to help soothe irritated skin.
- Uses oat proteins to actively hydrate the skin and coat, leaving behind a beautiful shine.
- Created using a coconut-based liquid, free of any harmful chemicals.
- Has a fresh and tasty almond scent.
Most Affordable Pomeranian Shampoo – The Frisco Oatmeal shampoo is a great option for Pomeranians with skin that’s on the more sensitive side. It has a simple, plant-based formula without any ‘secret’ or unnecessary chemicals, that helps to naturally soothe and moisturize the skin and coat.
It combines great results with an incredible price tag to bring you the most affordable, high-quality dog shampoo for your Pomeranian!
- Costs under $8 for a 20-oz bottle!
- Oat proteins help to boost the hydrating and protective properties of the formula.
- Super hydrating and protective of your dog’s skin and coat.
- Doesn’t contains any parabens or artificial dyeing agents.
- Uses Organic Certified aloe vera.
- Almond scent is an added fragrance, rather than a natural scent derived from the ingredients.
- Very general formula as it’s suited for both cats and dogs – may not be able to target specific needs your dog has.
- Strong yet gentle deodorizing formula that removes even the worst smells without damaging your puppy’s skin.
- Cleans the coat incredibly well, leaving it shiny and soft.
- A two-in-one shampoo and conditioner in one bottle, so no need to buy two different products.
- Fresh scent lasts for up to 6 weeks!
Best Pomeranian Puppy Shampoo – The Nature’s Miracle formula is incredibly long-lasting and only needs to be used about once a month. It’s also safe to use alongside any topical treatments your puppy may need, like a flea or tick spot-on.
We can safely say it’s one of the best Pomeranian puppy shampoos out there – it leaves your furry friend looking and smelling clean, and contributes to a healthy coat.
- Very gentle, so perfect for sensitive puppy skin.
- Not just for puppies – can also be used on adult dogs of any breed.
- Apart from deodorizing, it’s great at cleaning, moisturizing, and protecting your puppy’s skin and coat
- Instructions say it should only be used once every 4-6 weeks, which may not be often enough for some puppies – Pomeranians are especially prone to getting their fluffy fur quite dirty, so you may need to bathe them more often.
- Contains a blend of natural ingredients and essential oils including oatmeal, tea tree oil, and d-limonene.
- Can be used as often as necessary as the delicate formula won’t cause skin irritation.
- Expertly formulated to soothe irritated skin.
- Suitable for any dog breed.
Allergy and Itch Control Shampoo for Pomeranians – This Vet’s Best formula leaves behind a very subtle, yet refreshing scent and leaves your dog’s coat thoroughly cleaned. It’s gentle enough to be used alongside other topical treatments, like flea spot-ons or creams.
The shampoo is specially formulated to bring comfort to dogs with sensitive and dry skin. It contains specific essential oils that coat the skin (without making it greasy) and protect it from allergens and microorganisms.
- Soothes irritated skin by washing away the allergens or microorganisms causing discomfort.
- Formula was specially created using specific veterinarian guidance and advice.
- Active ingredients work to both remove allergens and protect the skin from further attacks.
- Conditioner isn’t required to achieve desired effects.
- Does not treat dry skin or other skin problems that haven’t been caused by some sort of allergen.
- Formula isn’t delicate enough to be considered a tear-free shampoo.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Effective treatment and preventative measure against fungal and bacterial infections.
- Deeply moisturizes dry skin and soothes itchiness.
- Manages both superficial and severe skin conditions.
Fungal and Bacterial Infections – Douxo Chlorhexidine PS is a special, medicated shampoo to help treat fungal and bacterial infections in dogs. The formula is antiseptic, meaning that it eliminates any microorganisms that may be causing your dog discomfort.
This shampoo’s active ingredients work to target fungal and bacterial microbes and prevent them from reproducing, rather than just covering up the problem. It’s an antiseptic formula, making this shampoo medicated, so do be sure to consult your vet before purchasing it.
- Chlorhexidine and climbazole control fungi and bacteria populations, preventing the worsening and continuation of symptoms.
- Prevents further inflammation and loss of moisture from the skin.
- Works to restore the natural skin barrier to prevent any future infections.
- Product deposits a long-lasting film along the skin that helps protect it from further irritation.
- While the shampoo does help control symptoms, it’s not a definitive cure for fungal and bacterial infections; please consult your vet if your Pomeranian suffers from chronic fungal or bacterial infections.
- Gentle and hypoallergenic formula.
- Soap free, without any ‘hidden’ chemicals.
- Prevents your dog’s skin from drying out and flaking.
- Controls the pH levels on the skin using specially formulated proteins.
Soap Free and Hypoallergenic – HyLyt’s Hypoallergenic shampoo has an amazingly delicate and moisturizing formula that’s perfect for dogs suffering from allergies and skin problems. Pomeranians are particularly prone to catching a skin condition that’s colloquially known as “black skin disease”.
This shampoo can help treat the symptoms of this disease, and many other allergic reactions and skin conditions. The formula doesn’t use any soaps that were derived from animals, as those ingredients are often too harsh to be used on dogs. There are no harmful or suspicious additives to ensure your dog’s skin and coat are safe and healthy.
5 Other Top Rated Pomeranian Shampoos
Pomeranians shed quite a lot all year round, but you can help control and reduce that amount by using this shampoo.
The product combines shampoo and conditioner into one deeply cleansing and moisturizing formula, that smells heavenly.
An amazing option for owners who may travel a lot with their Pomeranian and may not always have access to a dog-safe bathroom.
Great for owners looking for a completely natural formula that will deeply hydrate and revitalize your dog’s skin and coat.
Perfect for Pomeranian owners that may be allergic to dander, or for dogs who seem to shed way more of it than they should.
Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Pomeranian
Each dog breed has its own preferences and requirements when it comes to grooming and bathing, and Pomeranians aren’t any different. Their fluffy fur can make bath time a little more difficult than it usually is with other, shorter-haired dogs.
Below is our helpful guide that will hopefully make bathing your Pomeranian as easy as possible for both you and your furry friend.
- As with any dog, make sure to be very patient and understanding. Pomeranians can be drama queens when it comes to baths, and you getting angry or frustrated won’t help the situation.
- Make sure to allow at least 45 minutes to 1 hour for bathing time, and have all of your towels, shampoos, and buckets ready beforehand.
- Since Pomeranians have such long, fluffy fur, make sure to use a doggy brush to comb through it first. This will hopefully get any tangles and matted bits of fur out – dealing with wet fur knots can be horrible!
- Consider using a dog bath, small paddling pool, low-rimmed bucket, or anything else that’s similar to keep your Pomeranian from running around in the bathtub.
- Use lukewarm water and a soft sponge or your shower head to gently wet your dog’s fur all over, avoiding the ears, eyes, and mouth.
- Squeeze some of the correct shampoo onto your hand or sponge and lather up!
- Make sure to carefully rinse all of the shampoo from your dog’s fur as any leftover shampoo may cause skin irritation.
- Use a nice, fluffy towel to dry your dog off, all while praising them for behaving so well. Avoid using hair dryers as they usually just dry your dog’s skin out, and may even burn them if the dryer gets too hot.
If your Pomeranian has never had a bath before, it may take them a few months to get used to this experience. The key here is to let everything happen at its own pace, don’t rush things in case you scare your little one into completely hating baths.
However, if you find yourself really struggling, consider contacting a dog behaviorist for some tips on teaching your Pomeranian to behave nicely during baths.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best shampoo for Pomeranians? – We recommend assessing your dog’s individual needs and purchasing a shampoo that meets them all. Many shampoos have overlapping properties, so if you’re torn between two types that have a similar purpose, try choosing the gentler formula, just in case of any hidden allergies.
- How often should you bathe your Pomeranian? – An adult Pomeranian should only be bathed about every 2 to 3 months. Some dogs that only go out into the garden, for example, can go up to 6 months between baths, though some experts would argue that that’s far too long. If you’re unsure whether it’s too early to bathe your Pomeranian, contact your vet and see if they can help you out.
- Why does my Pomeranian stink? – A stinky Pomeranian is usually the result of a few weeks’ worth of grime building up under their coat, or a particularly eventful walk filled with puddles and piles of who-knows-what. A simple bath with a high-quality dog shampoo should help to get rid of the smell. You may need to repeat the lathering and rinsing process a few times if your pup gets especially grimy after a walk! Make sure to use a deodorizing shampoo as the bad smell may not completely disappear after a normal shampoo.
- Can I use human shampoos on Pomeranians? – Under no circumstances should you be using human shampoos on any dog breed. Although the products may seem similar, human shampoos are much harsher than dog shampoos, with a whole range of different chemicals included in the formula. Using human shampoos on your Pomeranian may cause an allergic reaction, or even hair loss and chemical burns if the formula is particularly harsh. Stick to products made specifically for dogs.
- Why does my Pomeranian still stink after a bath? – If your dog is smelly, it should usually go away after a bath or two. Pomeranians have pretty long and fluffy fur, so you’ll need to make sure you’re really getting their fur thoroughly cleaned and rinsed, which can take multiple baths to fully do. Also, make sure the shampoo you’re using isn’t expired. If the smell persists after a bath, however, do consult a vet as it could be a medical problem causing this.
So, in conclusion, there is quite a lot of variety when it comes to shampoos for Pomeranians. You’ll have to really make sure that the shampoo you’re planning to use meets all of the needs your dog may have, although many of the shampoos mentioned in this review have overlapping properties. Make sure to do thorough research to avoid doing more harm to your dog than good.
For a first-time bathing experience, we usually recommend going with a super gentle and hypoallergenic formula to be on the safe side, then assessing your Pomeranian’s needs and going from there. If you’re ever unsure about a product, a quick chat with your vet should resolve any uncertainties.