Boston Terriers are bright, quirky, and fun little dogs that are great to have around for both adults and children alike.
There is no doubt that you want to keep your furry friend happy and healthy, and a great way of doing this is by making sure that you are taking good care of his skin and his coat.
Your Boston is going to need regular bathing to prevent a buildup of dirt and bacteria that could make both him and your whole house smell pretty bad. Just make sure that you select the very best shampoo for the job.
What Is The Best Shampoo For Boston Terriers?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
- Natures Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural Puppy
- Vets Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Essential Fatty Acids
- Earthbath Shed Control Green Tea & Awapuhi Dog & Cat
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- Tropiclean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me Waterless
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo with Colloidal Oat Flour & Honey
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoos for Boston Terriers
- Medicated shampoos – These shampoos are usually prescribed by a vet for dogs with specific types of skin conditions. Although, depending on the type and severity of the condition, you might also be able to purchase them from your local pet store. If in doubt, always consult a vet.
- Hypoallergenic shampoos – These shampoos are great for dogs who have sensitive skin. They have a very mild formula and contain mostly natural ingredients. This is a good choice if your dog suffers from skin allergies and irritations, as is sadly often the case with Boston Terriers.
- Deodorizing shampoos – These shampoos utilize ingredients that have special kinds of deodorizing properties to help you combat any pungent smells. They are great for naturally smelly breeds or ones that enjoy rolling around in all sorts of disgusting things when out on your daily walk.
- Tearless shampoos – These shampoos have been specially formulated to ensure that they don’t sting if they come into contact with your dog’s eyes. These are particularly beneficial for puppies and young animals, sensitive ones, or those who don’t simply don’t enjoy being bathed.
- Waterless shampoos – These shampoos are different from other kinds in that they don’t require the use of water. They are ideal for spot cleaning, or for giving your pooch a bath if for some reason you are unable to get him into the tub. Simply apply the shampoo, work through the coat, and remove any excess with a towel.
- Puppy shampoos – These shampoos are designed specifically with puppy health in mind. They are extremely mild and kind to both ears and eyes. You should definitely be using a puppy blend if your dog is very young.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Anti-Fungal/Anti Bacterial shampoos – These shampoos are usually required if your dog has developed either a yeast (fungal infection) or a bacterial skin infection. Symptoms of these would include intense itching, inflammation, a greasy coat, oily skin, or the presence of a sticky discharge. Boston Terriers are more prone than other breeds to developing yeast infections. So, definitely keep an eye out for any of these. Particularly in moist areas such as the ears, armpits, between the toes, in the nose, and in folds of skin.
- Dander Control shampoos – These shampoos, as the name suggests, can be used to treat an excess of dead skin cells and hairs in your friend’s coat. They do this by washing away the buildup of dry skin and making it easier for you to brush out the hair. They also contain ingredients that nourish dry skin and hair to prevent further issues.
- Sensitive Skin shampoos – These shampoos are developed with a naturally mild formula that is usually free from soap, alcohol, and other skin-drying ingredients. If you find that despite careful rinsing, your pup is still itching like crazy every time he has a bath, then he may need something like this.
- Skin & Coat Health shampoos – These shampoos are packed full of ingredients that nourish the skin and hair and promote the development of a beautiful and healthy-looking coat. Many of these have been designed to reduce patchy hair loss, which is another specific problem of the breed.
- Itch & Redness Remedy shampoos – These shampoos are formulated using well-known remedies for heated, itchy skin such as tea tree oil, aloe vera, and chamomile. They can be used in the treatment of skin inflammation caused through scratching or through mite bites once the little pests have been removed.
- Calming shampoos – These shampoos are excellent for younger Boston’s or those who are not used to or who become a little anxious or nervous at bath time. They make use of aromatherapy scents with calming properties, such as lavender or mint. They are also designed to feel soothing on the skin.
Overall Best Shampoos for Boston Terriers
|Our 2021 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Boston Terriers|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
|Earthbath Shed Control
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
- Soap-free shampoo
- Botanical extracts
- Skin-soothing ingredients
- Suitable for puppies
Overall Best – This gentle two-in-one conditioning shampoo is an excellent choice for your Boston Terrier. The naturally sourced ingredients have been specially combined with a dog’s skin and hair in mind, and the shampoo can be used regularly. The sage, aloe vera, rosemary, green tea, and chamomile will leave your dog with a beautiful, healthy-looking coat while soothing any heat or itchiness they may be suffering with. The alcohol-free blend means that it won’t be drying or irritating to their skin. Moreover, wheat protein, one of the key ingredients, acts as a natural deodorizer helping your pal to stay smelling fresher for longer. Meaning you will be more than happy to snuggle up.
- Soothing scent.
- Great cleaning power
- Leaves coat feeling soft
- Doesn’t dry out skin
- Long-lasting freshness
- Rinses easily
- Scent doesn’t last
- 100% natural ingredients
- Soap-free shampoo
- Suitable for regular use
- Soothes dry skin
Most Affordable Boston Terrier Shampoo – This nourishing shampoo is a great and cost-effective alternative option. It contains ingredients that will not only promote a healthy-looking coat but will also provide excellent hydration for your Boston’s skin too. The blend is pH balanced and free from harsh chemicals, parabens, and dyes that could cause irritation. The all-natural ingredients, such as the soothing chamomile and coconut extracts, work to overcome any existing irritations. Furthermore, the almond scent gives the product a burst of freshness that will leave your furry friend smelling so good that you will want to cuddle up with them all day long.
- Great on dry and irritated skin
- Long-lasting, clean smell
- Healthy coat
- Good price
- Thick formula – easy to use too much
- Difficult to rinse
- Excellent odor control
- Four-in-one formula
- Soap-free shampoo
- No dyes or parabens
Best Boston Terrier Puppy Shampoo – Specially created for your puppy’s sensitive skin, this gentle and tearless shampoo has a soap-free formula that will leave him clean, healthy, and fresh. Its gentle formula means that it is suitable for frequent use. The shampoo provides powerful odor control that can effectively neutralize a range of bad smells. It is safe to use alongside any flea and tick products that you may be using. In addition, the key ingredient cocoa surfactant, a naturally mild and gentle cleansing agent, will leave your puppy exceptionally clean, huggably soft, and smelling great.
- A soft, healthy-looking coat
- Doesn’t dry out skin
- Great clean
- Scent doesn’t last
- Effective relief from itchy skin
- Veterinarian formulated blend
- Suitable for frequent use
- Can be used alongside other products
Allergy and Itch Control Shampoo – Boston Terriers are particularly prone to allergies that can leave them with itchy skin and watery eyes. This expert-informed shampoo can be used to provide effective relief to dogs suffering from skin symptoms of allergies, as well as sensitivity or flea bites. The blend of natural ingredients and essential oils, including oatmeal, d-limonene, and tea tree oil, not only soothes irritated inflamed skin but both hydrates and moisturizes it too to help prevent future itching. What’s more, the pleasing array of combined aromas will leave your hound smelling beautifully fresh and clean. Yet the shampoo will not affect topical flea and tick treatments that you may be treating him with at the time.
- Soothes symptoms of seasonal allergies
- Great on sensitive skin
- Pulls allergens off skin
- Rinses out easily
- Does not help with every type of skin condition
- Difficult to lather
- Antiseptic foaming solution
- Fights bacteria and fungi populations
- Provides long-lasting protective film
Fungal and Bacterial Infection – This powerfully formulated medicated shampoo contains potent ingredients for helping to protect your pup’s skin and coat while treating a variety of skin conditions. Key ingredients include chlorhexidine and phytosphingosine salicyloyl (0.05%), lipacide c8g (2.5%) and chlorhexidine(3%). These are effective on the most common types of fungal and bacterial infections from which your poor pet may be suffering. Alongside treating the condition and relieving the initial symptoms, the shampoo leaves a protective deposit on the skin, which resists rinsing and offers further protection against irritants and loss of moisture.
- Quick and effective
- Soft, shiny-looking coat
- Lathers well
- Not for frequent use
- Hard-to-use applicator
- Soap-free shampoo
- Contains natural moisturizing ingredients
- Gentle formula
- Helps control flaking
Soap Free and Hypoallergenic – This hypoallergenic shampoo is optimally pH balanced to both protect and nourish your dog’s skin and coat. At the same time, its mild formula ensures no allergies or skin reactions to its use. It contains emollients for moisturizing, proteins for conditioning, and fatty acids for nourishing. The result is a beautiful, shiny, healthy-looking coat and flake-free skin. Your sensitive-skinned pooch will love being bathed with this shampoo. Plus, the shampoo is super cleansing leaving behind no dirt or residue, nothing but a fresh and pleasant scent.
- No irritation
- Great lather
- A little goes a long way
- Gleaming coat
- Scent doesn’t last
- Can spoil over time
5 Other Top-Rated Boston Terrier Shampoos
This shampoo is designed to prevent shedding, which isn’t really a particular problem with this breed. However, it boasts an impressive array of moisturizing ingredients that could buck up a lifeless coat and flaky skin.
A sumptuous blend of natural ingredients, this shampoo will leave your pet looking and smelling great. The conditioning aspect of the formula will help to hydrate dry skin and hair alike.
Waterless shampoos are great when your pooch needs a good clean, but you just can’t face the hassles of bath time. This one is simple to use and helps to lock moisture in.
This perfectly pH balanced shampoo is good for deeply conditioning your pal’s coat while soothing any dry and irritated skin. The ingredients are a hundred percent natural.
Scientifically developed to remove dander before it becomes airborne, this shampoo conditions your dog’s coat while ensuring less hair about your house. Simply rub it on a cloth and apply it to your pet – no bath required.
Our 2021 Guide to Bathing your Boston Terrier
Regular baths are great for your furry friend as not only do you get the chance to spend some quality time together, but this is also a great opportunity for you to give your dog’s skin and coat some attention too.
- You should check to make sure that their skin is not looking red or irritated, that their coat is not masking any injuries, and that there are no lumps, bumps, or bug bites. In addition, keep an eye out for any signs of the presence of fleas, ticks, or any other types of mite that may have made your dog’s coat their home.
- Just make sure that before attempting to bathe your Boston Terrier, you have the right tools for the task to hand. Alongside the right kind of shampoo to best suit your hound (see above), it’s a good idea to have some type of bath brush to aid you in both applying it and removing it. A brush can also be used to remove dead hair and skin for a non-itchy, healthy-looking coat.
- Once you have your dog in the tub, the first task is to get them thoroughly wet all over while avoiding getting water in their eyes and ears. Ensure that the water thoroughly penetrates the layers of their coat.
- When this has been achieved, you can start to apply the shampoo. Try to use as little as possible because if you put too much on, it may be difficult to rinse it all out. Make sure to work the shampoo all the way down to the skin. Using the bath brush can make this task both quicker and easier to do.
- After a thorough scrub, use fresh water for rinsing. This needs to be done both carefully and thoroughly, and so it provides the ideal time for checking your Boston Terrier’s skin. Pay close attention to their underside and their paw pads when checking for damage, irritation, and mites.
- You need to ensure that you rinse every bit of the shampoo out of your pet’s fur. When you think the shampoo is out, rinse again for luck. Keep in mind that anything left behind will become very itchy and uncomfortable for your dog and could cause redness and hot spots. Again, a brush can be beneficial for this task.
- Finally, take your pooch out of the bath and give them a gentle rub down with a towel. Take care to check their ears for any signs of moisture; if left, this could lead to an ear infection. So, if you see any use a cotton bud to carefully and gently wipe it away.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the best shampoo for Boston Terriers? The best shampoo for your Boston will be one that specifically meets their needs. Some dogs will do just fine with a general canine shampoo. In contrast, others may need something with ingredients that are gentle on their dry, itchy, or irritated skin such as oatmeal or aloe. Refer to the list provided above for details on the best ones to suit each type of coat.
- How often should you bathe your Boston Terrier? Boston Terriers should be bathed every four to six weeks. Although you will need to use your best judgment on exactly how often to do it. If your pet spends a great deal of time outside and enjoys wading through or even rolling in muddy puddles, then obviously, bath days will need to occur more frequently. Once a week is absolutely fine, if necessary, just make sure the shampoo is suitable for frequent use. However, if your canine friend is more of a homebody, than you can probably wait longer periods. Even as long as eight weeks if their coat looks happy and healthy and is not starting to smell or to itch.
- Why does my Boston Terrier stink? Although, in general, the Boston Terrier is not known as a smelly breed, like any other dog, if you’re leaving it a little too long between baths, they could develop a strong and unpleasant doggy odor. The very best thing to do once this starts to happen is to get them in the tub to ensure they aren’t spreading their fragrant aroma throughout your home. Surprisingly though, according to numerous Boston Terrier owners, this particular type of dog can develop their own unique kind of smell. It has been likened to the scent of corn chips. While this may seem preferable to the usual sort of damp dog stink, after a little while, it can start to drive you a little crazy. The reason that Boston Terriers acquire this smell is because this breed tends to develop yeast overgrowths, and it only gets worse in hot and humid environments. The best way to deal with this problem is to use an anti-fungal shampoo when you are bathing him to clear this up.
- Can I use human shampoos on Boston Terriers? You shouldn’t ever use human shampoo on your Boston Terrier. The reason for this is that the formulas vary to suit our very different needs. For instance, dog’s skin and human skin have quite distinct pH balances. Humans generally measure as 5.5, which is slightly acidic, whereas canines sit between 6.2 and 7.4, which is much more neutral. Products that have been designed for us can contain harsh chemicals that can strip away the thin layer known as the mantle that protects your pup from bacteria, parasites, and viruses. In addition to this, it can cause severe skin irritation and flaking as a dog’s skin is much more sensitive than human skin. This will prompt him to scratch and scratch, leading to further damage.
- Why does my Boston Terrier still stink after a bath? If you notice that your pet is still rather pongy after you have bathed him, it could be that the shampoo you have selected has not done a thorough enough job of cleaning and deodorizing his coat. However, if you are confident that this is not the case, the cause of the smell could be skin disease or open sores – so make sure that you are checking his skin carefully for these when bathing him. A further cause could be issues with his ears or teeth signaling either an ear infection or dental disease, so check both of these too. If in doubt, it is always best to speak to your veterinarian who will be able to diagnose the problem and suggest an appropriate solution for you.
All in all, regular bathing is a crucial part of caring for your Boston Terrier, but it isn’t always easy. However, there are some truly fantastic shampoos and other bath products out there that can make both your lives easier.
When selecting the right one, make sure you take your pet’s specific needs into account. He has sensitive skin – opt for something hypoallergenic, he enjoys rolling in the mud – something that offers a really deep clean. There truly is something out there to suit each and every pooch.