The pet grooming industry has become expansively large in recent years, with various shampoos, conditioners, and leave-in treatments taking the world by storm. We finally understand the importance of using all of these products to keep our furry friends clean and healthy.
When it comes to picking the best shampoo for your Dachshund, you’ll need to consider a few factors. First of all, you’ll need to know exactly what you need the shampoo for – do you want an all-rounder, or to tackle a specific skin and coat problem that your dog has? You’ll also need to decide whether you need a regular, hypoallergenic, or specially medicated shampoo to make sure that your dog is getting the best treatment possible.
Advice regarding all this, as well as some product recommendations from our experts can be found below. Hopefully, they’ll make choosing the perfect shampoo for your Dachshund just that little bit easier!
What Is The Best Shampoo For Dachshunds?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Earthbath Shed Control Green Tea & Awapuhi
- TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
6 Different Types of Shampoos for Dachshunds
- Waterless – Waterless shampoos for dogs are a relatively new invention. As the name implies, they let you bathe your dog without water, making them a great option if you’re in a hurry or your dog absolutely hates water.
- Hypoallergenic – If your dog has ever had any allergies or weird skin reactions to grooming products or even food ingredients, consider purchasing a hypoallergenic shampoo. Hypoallergenic formulas are incredibly gentle on the skin, and often have natural ingredients intended to soothe sensitive or irritated skin.
- Deodorizing – Let’s be honest, sometimes our dogs stink. Despite being perfectly healthy, your Dachshund will come home from your daily walk smelling absolutely horrible, and no number of baths will seemingly be able to fix it. Well, we have a solution. Deodorizing shampoos are specially designed to get rid of, or at least mask, any unpleasant smells your dog may bring home.
- Shed Control – While you may not be too bothered by your dog shedding if you own a Dachshund with a smooth coat, owners of longhaired and wirehaired Dachshunds will be. The longer and thicker your Dachshund’s hair is, the more problems you may have when it comes to shedding, so why not invest in a shampoo that will help to regulate those problems? While not stopping shedding completely, this type of shampoo will help to significantly decrease the amount of stray hair you’ll have flying around your home.
- Tearless – Getting shampoo in your eyes is probably the worst feeling ever, regardless of whether you’re a dog or a human. If you happen to have a particularly wriggly Dachshund and are scared of getting harmful chemicals in its eyes, consider buying a tearless shampoo. They have a super gentle formula that won’t hurt your dog’s eyes.
- Medicated – Medicated shampoos are usually prescribed by vets for specific skin or coat issues. These can range from your dog simply having dry skin, to more serious issues like chronic hair loss. Please do make sure to consult a vet before buying any medicated shampoos, as some formulas may be way too harsh for your Dachshund.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider
- Sensitive Skin – Any breed of dog can be susceptible to a whole range of skin sensitivity issues, and Dachshunds aren’t any different. Using a shampoo made especially for sensitive skin can help prevent these issues from surfacing, or can help reduce the severity of pre-existing symptoms.
- Calming – Dachshunds are quite prone to having anxiety issues, mostly because they were pack animals before domestication and now tend to fear being left alone for long periods of time. Using a shampoo with calming properties can help tackle these anxiety problems – special ingredients like lavender will calm your dog’s nerves and help them relax.
- Dander Control – Dander is basically dead skin, and every single dog sheds it. This can cause issues for owners who have allergies, especially during heavier shedding months. Dander control shampoos work to reduce the amount of dander your dog sheds, adding moisture to their skin to stop dry skin from shedding.
- Skin & Coat Health – Dachshunds can very easily develop dry and hairless patches of skin if not cared for properly. Skin and coat health shampoos work to prevent that from happening; special active ingredients like proteins and natural fatty acids will keep your dog’s skin moisturized and their coat thick and healthy.
- Anti-Fungal/Anti-Bacterial – Any dog that goes outside gets exposed to thousands of tiny microorganisms every single day. These can come in the form of fungi or bacteria, and they can really cause some harm if allowed to run free. Anti-fungal and anti-bacterial shampoos will help you to reduce and prevent symptoms of infections caused by these microorganisms and should be a regular part of your dog’s grooming routine.
- Itch & Redness Remedy – Whether it’s because of an allergic reaction, dry skin, or your dog rolling around in some stinging nettles, itchy and irritated skin can be a huge problem for Dachshunds. Using a shampoo that has soothing and moisturizing properties will reduce skin itchiness and redness, and may prevent any future complications.
Overall Best Shampoo for Dachshunds
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Dachshunds|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint ||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats ||CHECK PRICE|
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control ||CHECK PRICE|
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Earthbath Shed Control ||CHECK PRICE|
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut ||CHECK PRICE|
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me ||CHECK PRICE|
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo ||CHECK PRICE|
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover ||CHECK PRICE|
- Made with a coconut-based liquid and no added alcohol.
- One bottle contains both shampoo and conditioner.
- Has natural deodorizing properties from added wheat proteins.
- Cruelty-free and not tested on animals.
- Contains rosemary, green tea, and aloe vera extracts that help with skin soothing.
Overall Best – This is a two-in-one formula, meaning that you only need to buy one product to get the benefits of using both a shampoo and conditioner. The formula contains natural ingredients, chosen specifically for their deeply moisturizing and skin-soothing properties. Buddy Wash can help protect your Dachshund’s skin from any unwanted allergic reactions, making it a great hypoallergenic option. It’s also great for dogs that go outside often, as it has natural deodorizing properties that work on even the worst smells.
- Simple formula made from completely natural and safe ingredients.
- Safe to use on irritated, dry, and itchy skin.
- Don’t need to purchase multiple products for desired effects.
- Great for restoring natural softness and shine in your dog’s coat.
- Wheat is a common allergen among domesticated pets, so you’ll need to consult a vet before purchasing this product.
- Contains oat proteins that naturally hydrate your dog’s skin and coat.
- Created using a coconut-based liquid, free of any harmful chemicals.
- Active ingredients like chamomile, oatmeal, and aloe vera work wonders on irritated skin.
- Has a fresh and tasty almond scent.
Most Affordable Dachshund Shampoo – The Frisco Oatmeal shampoo combines great results with an incredible price tag to bring you the most affordable, high-quality dog shampoo for Dachshunds! The shampoo has a simple formula that’s based solely on plants, making it great for dogs with more sensitive skin. The active ingredients used in the shampoo will keep your dog’s skin and coat healthy, without being too heavy or overwhelming. Also, despite not being a deodorizing shampoo, the slight almond scent really adds a freshness to your dog’s bath time!
- Costs under $8 for a 20-oz bottle!
- Super hydrating and protective of your dog’s skin and coat.
- Doesn’t contains any parabens or artificial dyeing agents.
- Only contains natural ingredients like oat proteins and chamomile extract.
- Uses Organic Certified aloe vera.
- Almond scent is an added fragrance, rather than a natural scent derived from the ingredients.
- Very general formula as it’s suited for both cats and dogs – may not be able to target specific needs your dog has.
- Strong yet gentle deodorizing formula that removes even the worst smells without damaging your puppy’s skin.
- Cleans the coat incredibly well, leaving it shiny and soft.
- A two-in-one conditioning shampoo that works great on its own.
- Not just for puppies – can also be used on adult dogs of any breed.
Best Dachshund Puppy Shampoo – If you own a puppy, you know that they have a tendency to get very, very smelly and dirty. They just can’t resist rolling around in a puddle of mud or pee! That’s where Nature’s Miracle deodorizing shampoo comes in! This long-lasting formula will have your puppy smelling clean and fresh in no time! It’s safe to use alongside any flea or tick treatments, like spot-ons or collars and is a great starter shampoo even if your puppy has sensitive skin.
- Fresh scent can last up to 6 weeks.
- Can continue using this conditioning shampoo as your dog grows older.
- Apart from deodorizing, it’s great at cleaning, moisturizing, and protecting your puppy’s skin and coat
- Safe to use on any puppy breed.
- Not recommended to use more often than every 4 to 6 weeks, which may not be often enough if your puppy likes to go outside a lot.
- Delicate formula that can be used as often as necessary.
- Contains active ingredients and essential oils like tea tree oil and oatmeal.
- Expertly formulated to soothe irritated skin.
- Suitable for any dog breed.
Allergy and Itch Control Shampoo for Dachshunds – This shampoo has been specially created using guidance and advice from expert veterinarians to bring your dog maximum comfort. It targets the problem causing sensitive and itchy skin, rather than just covering the problem up. The formula leaves behind a very subtle, yet refreshing scent and leaves your dog’s coat thoroughly cleaned. It’s gentle enough to be used alongside other topical treatments, like flea spot-ons or creams.
- Washes away allergens and microorganisms that are causing irritation.
- Specially created veterinarian formula.
- Active ingredients work to both remove allergens and protect the skin from further attacks.
- Cruelty-free product.
- Does not treat dry skin or other skin problems that haven’t been caused by some sort of allergen.
- Shampoo is not considered tear-free, so avoid it if your Dachshund is particularly rowdy in the bathtub.
- Effective treatment and preventative measure against fungal and bacterial infections.
- Great for both surface-level, superficial issues, and more severe, chronic infections.
- Deeply moisturizes skin to prevent dryness and to soothe irritation.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties.
Fungal and Bacterial Infections – Any dog can suffer from fungal or bacterial infections, especially if they live in a humid climate – warmth and wetness provide the perfect conditions for these microbes to thrive and reproduce. This shampoo’s active ingredients work to target these microbes and prevent them from reproducing, rather than just covering up the problem. It’s an antiseptic formula, making this shampoo medicated, so do be sure to consult your vet before purchasing it.
- Successfully controls microbe populations through chlorhexidine and climbazole active ingredients.
- Prevents further inflammation and loss of moisture from the skin.
- Works to restore the natural skin barrier to prevent any future infections.
- Formula is deposited as a long-lasting, protective film over your dog’s skin.
- The shampoo is only intended to reduce and control symptoms of fungal and bacterial infections; consult your vet if your dog has chronic infections.
- Delicate formula without animal-derived soaps.
- Prevents your dog’s skin from drying out and flaking.
- Controls the pH levels on the skin using specially formulated proteins.
- Doesn’t use any harsh chemicals so completely safe to use on dogs with allergies.
Soap Free & Hypoallergenic – HyLyt’s Hypoallergenic shampoo has an amazingly delicate and moisturizing formula that’s perfect for dogs suffering from allergies and skin problems. Dachshunds are particularly prone to developing rashes and dry skin from a range of allergens, but these symptoms can be prevented by using this shampoo. The formula doesn’t use any soaps that were derived from animals, as those ingredients are often too harsh to be used on dogs. There are no harmful or suspicious additives to ensure your dog’s skin and coat are safe and healthy.
- Fatty acids aren’t derived from animals, making it a cruelty-free and delicate formula.
- Non-drying and non-stripping properties.
- Deeply hydrating to prevent dry skin from flaking.
- Proteins control the pH levels on your dog’s skin to avoid allergic reactions.
- Despite being hypoallergenic, the formula isn’t actually considered delicate enough to be tear-free, so avoid this product if your Dachshund refuses to sit still during bath time.
5 Other Top Rated Dachshund Shampoos
Great for owners of longhaired Dachshunds that are worried about excessive shedding.
The product combines shampoo and conditioner into one deeply cleansing and moisturizing formula, that smells heavenly.
An amazing option for owners that struggle with bath time, whether that’s because of a particularly naughty Dachshund or personal time restraints.
Great for owners looking for a completely natural yet super effective formula.
Use this treatment if you’re worried about developing an allergic reaction from your Dachshund’s dander!
Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Dachshund
Dachshunds are usually very mild-mannered and don’t make a fuss, but they can still be absolutely petrified of taking a bath. You’ll need to be very gentle and understanding with your dog, especially if this is their first time experiencing a bath.
Follow our helpful guide below to make this experience easier for you and as stress-free as possible for your Dachshund.
- Most importantly, don’t get frustrated. Dachshunds are super sensitive, and your dog will definitely get very upset and scared if they sense your frustration.
- Make sure to allow at least 45 minutes to 1 hour for bathing time, and have all of your towels, shampoos, and buckets ready beforehand.
- Since Dachshunds are particularly small dogs, consider using a dog bath, small paddling pool, low-rimmed bucket, or anything else that’s similar to keep them from running around in the bathtub.
- Use lukewarm water and a soft sponge or your shower head to gently wet your dog’s fur all over, avoiding the ears, eyes, and mouth.
- Squeeze some of the correct shampoo onto your hand or sponge and lather up!
- Make sure to carefully rinse all of the shampoo from your dog’s fur, especially if you have a Dachshund with longer hair – any leftover product left on their coat may irritate their skin.
- Use a nice, fluffy towel to dry your dog off, all while praising them for behaving so well. Avoid using hair dryers as they usually just dry your dog’s skin out, and may even burn them if the dryer gets too hot.
Like we mentioned earlier, Dachshunds are incredibly sensitive, so it may take some time for them to realize that bath time won’t kill them. Above all, make sure that you’re patient with your dog and that you are constantly praising them throughout the process.
If you find yourself seriously struggling, though, consider contacting a dog behaviorist to help you show your little Dachshund that taking a bath isn’t as scary as it seems.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best shampoo for Dachshunds? We recommend assessing your dog’s individual needs and purchasing a shampoo that meets them all. Many shampoos have overlapping properties, so if you’re torn between two types that have a similar purpose, try choosing the gentler formula, just in case of any hidden allergies.
- How often should you bathe your Dachshund? An adult Dachshund will only need to be bathed every 3 months or so. This, of course, will vary depending on how often your dog goes outside, and whether they like to roll around in mud puddles. Make sure to stick to the instructions printed on your dog shampoo, and don’t use any products more often than instructed.
- Why does my Dachshund stink? A smelly Dachshund is usually the result of a few weeks’ worth of grime building up under their coat, or a particularly eventful walk filled with puddles and piles of who-knows-what. A quick bath or two should quickly fix the issue, and a deodorizing shampoo can help you control and prevent the issue from happening again.
- Can I use human shampoos on Dachshunds? Under no circumstances should you be using human shampoos on any dog breed. Although the products may seem similar, human shampoos are much harsher than dog shampoos, with a whole range of different chemicals included in the formula. Using human shampoos on your Dachshund may cause an allergic reaction, or even chemical burns if the formula is particularly harsh. Please, stick to products that have been specially created for dogs.
- Why does my Dachshund still stink after a bath? One bath is sometimes simply not enough to get all that stinky stuff out from your Dachshund’s coat, so you should always try bathing them a couple of times before jumping to conclusions. If, however, the problem persists do seek medical advice from a veterinarian. A bad smell coming from your dog may indicate a much more serious, underlying issue that needs to be treated with the appropriate medicine.
So, overall, what is the best choice for your Dachshund? As we’ve highlighted throughout this guide, it’s your responsibility as the owner to assess the needs of your dog and act accordingly.
While the information above provides you with a pretty clear overview of the different types of dog shampoo available to purchase, you will still need to do your own research to be able to make a well-informed decision. Contact your local vet, read customer reviews, and most importantly monitor your dog’s reactions to any products you use one them.
Your safest bet will be to purchase a super delicate, ideally hypoallergenic shampoo to introduce your furry friend to the idea of bathing. Then, you’ll be able to see if your dog has any issues that can be solved using special formulas or medicated shampoos, and will hopefully be able to act accordingly.