- What Is The Best Shampoo For Yorkies?
- Five Different Types of Shampoos for Yorkies:
- 6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider:
- 6 Best Shampoos for Yorkies:
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs and Cats
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Natural Puppy Shampoo & Conditioner
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Essential Fatty Acids for Dogs & Cats
- 5 Other Top Rated Yorkie Shampoos:
- Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Yorkie:
- Frequently Asked Questions:
There is no one-size-fits-all dog shampoo. Just like humans, different dogs have different needs. Choosing the best shampoo for your pup can be a daunting task. This is especially true for the Yorkshire Terrier. This small dog has an intricate grooming routine, so choosing a high-quality shampoo is essential.
Don’t let a Yorkies small stature fool you! These toy-sized dogs are true terriers. They are brave, feisty little balls of fun with a ton of attitude. All Yorkie owners are proud of their dog’s big personalities. They provide their families with lots of love and laughter, but they can have a naughty streak as well. Their curious nature is why Yorkies often get themselves in messy situations. As cute as this makes them, it also means they have to be bathed quite often.
Their fur resembles human hair, which makes Yorkies an excellent pet for the apartment, as they don’t shed as much as other breeds. This, however, also means they need daily brushing to detangle their hair and distribute body oil evenly, to keep their coat looking healthy and shiny. Choosing the right shampoo for your Yorkie pup is a necessary step in the grooming process that often gets overlooked. Yorkies are an allergy-prone breed, and allergies often make their skin itchy. This condition is called atopy, and it can result in face scratching, paw licking, and ear infections. Choosing the right shampoo for your pup can help keep their allergies at bay, as well as keep them looking adorable.
What Is The Best Shampoo For Yorkies?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs and Cats
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Earthbath Shed Control Green Tea & Awapuhi
- TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut
- Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo
- Allerpet Dog Dander Remover
Five Different Types of Shampoos for Yorkies:
- Medicated Shampoo – Medicated shampoos are formulated to treat skin conditions your pets may develop. These skin conditions can appear due to allergies, infections, improper diet, or due to genetics. If your dog develops a disease that affects their skin, it could cause them to suffer. Medicated, or an antiseptic, shampoo can reduce discomfort in your pet and help heal its skin.
- Hypoallergenic Shampoo – Hypoallergenic shampoos don’t have added fragrances, dyes or harmful chemicals in them. If your pup has sensitive skin, these ingredients can cause irritation and allergic reactions. A hypoallergenic shampoo that doesn’t have chemicals in it can keep your dog’s skin healthy. Knowing your dog’s allergies is essential to choose the right hypoallergenic shampoo that will soothe its skin.
- Deodorizing Shampoo – Deodorizing shampoos neutralize odors and control the bacteria on your dog’s skin. This type of shampoo is beneficial to those whose dog is often running around in nature, where it can pick up a lot of unpleasant smells. Deodorizing shampoos often contain lavender oil or other essential oils that help your dog smell nice a while after having had a bath. One thing to look out for when buying a deodorizing shampoo are ingredients such as parabens and preservatives, which can cause irritation of the skin.
- Tearless Shampoo – Tearless dog shampoos do not cause a burning sensation when coming into contact with the dog’s eye. This is especially useful when giving a bath to a puppy, as it is more sensitive to the burning sensation, and the pain can cause it to fear baths in the future. It’s also a great choice for adult dogs who find bathing stressful due to the fear of shampoo harming their eyes. Tearless shampoos can contain chemicals harmful to the dog, so thorough research is necessary before deciding on a purchase.
- Waterless Shampoo – Waterless shampoo work by absorbing the excess oil from the dog’s skin or fur, just as a dry shampoo does for human hair. Its main use is for keeping the dog smelling fresh and looking clean between washes. If your dog has a distinct scent that appears soon after bathing, waterless shampoo is a great choice to use between baths. You should not use waterless shampoos too often, as it can clog hair follicles and destroy your dog’s natural antibacterial barrier if used excessively.
6 Common Special Health Feature Shampoos to Consider:
- Anti-Fungal or Antibacterial Shampoo – The main use of anti-fungal and antibacterial shampoo is to treat a skin infection related to yeast or bacteria. Anti-fungal shampoos treat infections commonly caused by yeast overgrowth, specifically the Malassezi bacteria. These bacteria are present on the dog’s skin, but they start to cause problems once the immune system is weakened. This is when problems such as itching, irritation, redness, and brown, waxy discharge from the ears can appear. Ringworm is another fungal infection often seen in dogs. Symptoms of this infection include ring-shaped lesions, itching, and redness of the skin. If your dog is experiencing a bacterial infection, symptoms it will likely develop are dry skin, patches of hair loss, and skin discharge. You should use an antibacterial shampoo if symptoms like these appear.
- Dander Control Shampoo – Dander is to dogs what dandruff is to humans. Dogs are always shedding their skin, and that’s perfectly healthy. Problems can arise if a human is allergic to dog dander. If you are experiencing allergies of unknown origins, you may want to look into getting a dander control shampoo. These shampoos work by moisturizing the skin of the dog and reducing skin irritation. If the skin is healthy, it will produce less dander. Many of dander control shampoos use natural ingredients that moisturize the skin, such as oatmeal, coconut, and lavender. This is an added bonus if you prefer not to use artificial ingredients.
- Shampoo for Sensitive Skin – Sensitive skin shampoo is something to look into if your pup is experiencing itching and other skin discomforts. These shampoos work by using natural ingredients to help soothe the dog’s skin. Aloe Vera gel and oatmeal are commonly found ingredients in these shampoos. It’s important to know which ingredients to avoid when buying a shampoo for sensitive skin. Harsh ingredients like parabens, artificial colors, sulfates, and fragrances, can be the cause of your pet’s skin sensitivity. It’s also important to buy shampoo with an optimal pH level, around 6.5-7.5.
- Skin and Coat Health Shampoo – To keep your pup’s coat healthy and shiny, its skin has to be in optimal condition. If your dog’s skin problems go untreated, its coat is likely to lose shine, or it can even lose fur in patches. It’s especially important to find a great skin and coat care shampoo if you have a Yorkie. This breed has sensitive skin and its fur needs to be properly groomed, using high-quality shampoo. Look for shampoos with natural ingredients, and avoid harsh chemicals that can cause skin problems.
- Itch and Redness Remedy Shampoo – Dogs can develop red and itchy skin for various reasons, including food allergies, flea or tick bites, environmental factors, or autoimmune disorders. Having itchy skin is uncomfortable for a dog, and it can be a cause of stress for them. If you see your dog scratching or licking its skin, you may want to look into shampoos that can help remedy itch and redness. These shampoos have soothing properties that will give your dog some relief.
- Calming Shampoo – Calming shampoos are ideal for dogs who are anxious during bath time. They contain ingredients such as lavender, mint, and green tea. These ingredients have a calming smell and feel on the skin, and can help the dog relax and enjoy bath time. Calming shampoos are also very useful for bathing blind pets, as they can’t see exactly what’s happening, which can cause them more stress.
6 Best Shampoos for Yorkies:
|Our 2020 Picks: Overall Best Shampoo for Yorkies|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs & Cats||CHECK PRICE|
|Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control||CHECK PRICE|
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog & Cat Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Earthbath Shed Control||CHECK PRICE|
|TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut ||CHECK PRICE|
|Ark Naturals Don’t Worry Don’t Rinse Me||CHECK PRICE|
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Allerpet Dog Dander Remover||CHECK PRICE|
- Made with natural ingredients and botanical extracts.
- Free of alcohol and chemicals.
- Contains wheat protein, a natural deodorizer.
- Soap-free. Builds a rich lather but washes out easily without leaving a residue.
- Not tested on animals. Made in the USA.
Overall Best Shampoo for Yorkies – Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint is a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner formulated in the USA. It uses botanical extracts like sage, aloe vera, green tea, rosemary, tea tree oil, and chamomile. It also contains wheat protein extract, which is a natural deodorizing agent that’s mild and will not harm the skin. Chamomile, combined with lavender, creates a smell that helps calm the dog down. Mint and aloe vera work as cooling and soothing remedies for inflamed, itchy skin. Green tea and rosemary are powerful antioxidants. Green tea fights free radicals on the skin and contains vitamins C and E which soften the fur. Rosemary has anti-inflammatory properties and can stimulate hair growth. The base of the shampoo is coconut, great for both cleansing and hydrating the skin and fur. This shampoo does not contain harmful chemicals, alcohol, or soap. The formula is gentle and safe for frequent use. It’s safe to use on puppies as well. This shampoo is especially good for Yorkies because it’s so hydrating and soothing, which is very beneficial to this breed’s problematic skin that can easily dry out.
- Great for frequent use
- Mild and safe for puppies and adult dogs
- Contains natural ingredients that nourish and soothe the skin and fur
- Relaxing smell that can help ease anxiety during bath time
- Hydrating ingredients such as coconut and aloe vera are a great choice for Yorkies
- Contains wheat protein, which can cause allergies in some dogs
- The mint can cause stinging if it comes in contact with the eye, so careful use is necessary, especially with puppies
- It contains oatmeal, a very beneficial ingredient for dogs and cats.
- It’s soap-free. It lathers up due to coconut and plant-derived cleansers. This means it’s gentle on the skin and coat.
- Made with Certified Organic Aloe Vera juice.
- It does not contain parabens or dyes.
Most Affordable Yorkie Shampoo – The Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo is a great, affordable option for both dogs and cats. It has a pleasant almond smell that lingers on the fur, leaving your dog smelling fresh for a while. Its ingredients include coconut, aloe vera, chamomile, baking soda, and oatmeal. Oatmeal is very beneficial for dogs. It moisturizes the skin and fur and creates a protective barrier on the skin. It’s a great ingredient to try if your Yorkie is experiencing skin dryness and discomfort. Combined with aloe vera and chamomile, this shampoo is perfect for gently soothing the skin. The formula is pH balanced and uses mild, plant-derived cleansers that do not cause irritation.
- Nourishing and hydrating ingredients
- Pleasant almond scent
- Free of dyes and parabens, and pH balanced
- Suitable for dogs and cats
- It contains a fragrance, which can cause irritation in some dogs
- Some dogs can be allergic to oatmeal, so it’s important to try the product on a small area before a full bath
- It’s a natural cocoa surfactant shampoo, and it does not contain soap.
- It does not contain dyes or parabens.
- It’s gentle and fearless, which makes it a great choice for puppies.
- It’s safe to use with topical products.
Best Yorkie Puppy Shampoo – This shampoo is a great choice for a Yorkie puppy. It has 4-in-1 benefits of a shampoo and conditioner – it neutralizes odors, deodorizes, cleans the skin and coat, and conditions. The natural cocoa surfactant enhances hair softness and reduces static electricity. The formula of this shampoo is gentle and tearless. This means your puppy will not have to go through any discomfort during bath time. It does not contain dyes or perfumes, so it’s great for puppies who are allergic to these ingredients. This formula is soap-free and is safe to use with topical products, such as spot-on tick and flea products. It has a pleasant, natural scent that both you and your puppy will enjoy.
- Perfect for puppies. It will not irritate their skin or eyes
- Safe to use with flea or tick products
- Pleasant scent
- Both cleanses and conditions the skin and fur
- Tearless formulas should not be used too frequently
- Veterinarian formulated, using a blend of beneficial ingredients
- A great remedy for itchy skin
- Designed to soothe sensitive skin by washing away allergens
- Includes oatmeal, d-limonene, and tea tree oil
Allergy and Itch Control Shampoo for Yorkies – Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo is a formula designed to soothe itchy skin. It contains a blend of natural ingredients such as oatmeal and tea tree oil. Oatmeal is a soothing ingredient that calms the skin. Tea tree oil is a powerful antioxidant. Together with d-limonene, these ingredients are the perfect combination for soothing an allergy-induced itch. The formula has a pleasant, spa-like scent. Due to its mild nature, this shampoo is safe to use with a topical tick or flea treatment.
- Relieves itchy skin that can cause your dog discomfort
- Formulated by veterinarians
- Pleasant scent
- It can be used over topical treatments
- Contains oatmeal, which some dogs can be allergic to
- It contains chlorhexidine and climbazole, key ingredients in helping bacteria and fungi control.
- It contains phytosphingosine-salicyloyl, a pro-ceramide with anti-inflammatory and anti-seborrheic properties.
- It deposits a film which creates a long-lasting barrier on the skin, protecting it from irritation.
- The lipacid in the formula helps moisturize the skin.
Fungal and Bacterial Infections –Douxo Chlorhexidine PS is both an antiseptic and a moisturizing shampoo for cats and dogs. Antiseptic properties come from ingredients such as phytosphingosine-salicyloyl and chlorhexidine. These ingredients help control bacteria and fungi overgrowth. They have anti-inflammatory properties and control sebum production. Lipacid is the ingredient that helps hydrate the skin. It creates a moisturizing barrier on the skin. This film resists rinsing, and it leaves a protective barrier on the skin. If your Yorkie is experiencing a skin infection, you should use this shampoo 2-3 times a week, for a week or two. If the condition doesn’t get better in two weeks, you should take your pup to the vet for a checkup.
- Treats bacterial and fungal skin infections
- Helps control sebum production
- Creates a moisturizing and protective film on the skin
- Helps relieve the itching, which can cause discomfort and lead to injury if prolonged
- It should be used with caution, as it’s hazardous if ingested or if it comes in contact with the eyes
- It’s poisonous to humans if ingested, so you should keep it out of children’s reach
- It’s a gentle, hypoallergenic formula.
- It contains natural moisturizing ingredients.
- It does not contain soap, and the formula is non-stripping.
- It can benefit topical products for fleas and ticks.
Soap Free & Hypoallergenic – This formula is gentle and soap-free, and it contains emollients that are moisturizing for the skin and fur. It has an optimal pH balance, so it will not irritate the dog’s skin. It contains protein, which is great for fur and skin conditioning and softness. The moisturizing factors work together with essential fatty acids, creating a product perfect for sensitive Yorkie skin. Essential fatty acids control skin flaking and dander. The formula is not drying, and it doesn’t strip the skin of its natural oils. This shampoo does not contain soap, alcohol, dyes, or perfumes. Sensitive dog skin is often allergic to these ingredients. If your Yorkie is experiencing these allergies, HyLyt Shampoo is a great one to try.
- Hypoallergenic, great for allergy-prone dogs
- A very hydrating, non-drying formula
- Great for both cats and dogs
- It can benefit topical products for ticks or fleas
- This product should be kept out of children’s reach and used on animals carefully. It’s poisonous if ingested by animals or children.
5 Other Top Rated Yorkie Shampoos:
Earthbath Shed Control is perfect for adult dogs that are having problems with excess shedding. This is a conditioner made with nature’s finest moisturizers and antioxidants. It contains shea butter (fair-trade), glycerin and allantoin, ingredients that moisturize and nourish the skin. Omega-6 fatty acids and green tea extract protect the skin and repair damage. This conditioner is vegetable-based, and it works great as a softener and detangler for Yorkie hair.
TropiClean Papaya&Coconut shampoo smells heavenly. It’s a soap-free product that works up a luxurious lather and moisturizes the skin. It’s enriched with coconut oil and rich botanical conditioners that prevent matted fur. Coconut works with mango to deep clean, while papaya and kiwi nourish and condition your pup’s skin and coat.
This Ark Naturals waterless shampoo is efficient and easy to use. It’s perfect for dogs who love to get themselves in smelly situations. The formula includes cedarwood, orange oils, and rosemary, so it will leave your pup smelling like a beach vacation. It’s very easy to use – you just massage it into your dog’s coat. It’s safe to use on cats as well.
Oatmeal, combined with Colloidal Oat Flour, deeply conditions your dog’s skin, while honey moisturizes the coat perfectly. This combination is amazing for alleviating itchiness related to eczema and other skin conditions. The formula is gentle, pH balanced, and it does not contain harmful chemicals, artificial fragrances, or parabens. This shampoo is proudly made in the USA, and the packaging is made of 80% recycled bottles.
Allerpet Dog Dander Remover is a great choice if you are experiencing allergies because of your dog’s dander. It works by removing the dander before it can go into the air. It also conditions skin and fur. You apply this product by dampening a towel with it and wiping your dog thoroughly. You don’t need to wash it out, so it’s a simple and quick way to remove dander. It does not leave a residue, and it’s not toxic to dogs or humans. However, you should not use it on dogs younger than 10 weeks.
Our 2020 Guide to Bathing your Yorkie:
- Before giving your Yorkie a bath, you need to brush their fur thoroughly.
- Place a bathmat on the bottom of your bathtub. This will prevent your puppy from slipping and falling.
- Place cotton balls in your dog’s ears to protect them and keep them dry.
- Wet the fur with lukewarm water. Add a pea-sized amount of shampoo to you Yorkie’s back and massage it into the skin. You should massage in straight lines to avoid knotting the fur. After you’ve lathered up the shampoo completely and cleaned the whole body, rinse the shampoo off with lukewarm water. You should rinse for a long time and make sure there is no shampoo residue left on the fur because it can cause irritation.
- If you are using a conditioner, dab a pea-sized amount on the back area and massage it into the fur. Rinse the conditioner out completely.
- Don’t use shampoo on your dog’s face. Use a washcloth to wipe the face with water. Make sure to avoid shampoo getting near the mouth or eyes.
- After taking your Yorkie out of the bath, gently tap it dry using towels. Do not rub the fur, as that can cause it to tangle up.
- Clean the ears with cotton swabs and warm water.
- Brush your Yorkie gently after it’s completely dry.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the best shampoo for Yorkies? That depends on what your dog’s needs are. There is no one shampoo that is perfect for all Yorkies. If your pup does not have any skin problems or discomfort, the Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint is a safe bet. However, if your dog is experiencing skin issues, you should choose a hypoallergenic, soothing option.
- How often should you bathe your Yorkie? You should bathe your Yorkie at once every two to three weeks. In the summer, you can wash them every week. Their long coat collects dirt, so they need to be washed more often than other breeds.
- Why does my Yorkie stink? This breed has fur that collects dirt much faster than other breeds, so it starts to smell more quickly. If your Yorkie stinks no matter how much you bathe it, you should take it to the vet. This could be a sign of a skin infection of bacterial or fungal origin.
- Can I use human shampoos on Yorkies? No, you should not use human shampoos on your Yorkies. Dogs have a different skin pH level than humans do, so what works for humans does not usually work for dogs. Yorkies have especially sensitive skin and fur, so human shampoos can cause irritation and skin inflammation.
- Why does my Yorkie still stink after a bath? Your Yorkie can have a characteristic ‘wet dog’ smell after a bath. This is normal, and you can avoid it by using a scented shampoo and conditioner. If the scent is unusual and persistent, you should talk to a vet, as that can be a sign of a skin infection.
Yorkies are a great pet to have, and with a little bit of knowledge and skill, their grooming process can be enjoyable for both the dog and the owner. We hope this blog post helped you conquer the intricacies of Yorkie grooming. With this knowledge, you can keep your pup looking and feeling their best.