Whether you’re looking to treat your pug for their birthday, the holidays, or just because – finding the perfect toy that ensures their health and happiness can be a difficult decision to make! And while you might be thinking that your pug deserves the most elaborate toy on their special day, bear in mind that oftentimes the best toys for pugs are the simplest! Toys like frisbees, balls, and classic chew toys are still extremely popular and loved by pugs worldwide. However, there are other options available that can go beyond the basic games like fetching or chewing. Puzzles and interactive game toys can also be a hit at home with your beloved pal in need of some engaging activities to stimulate their mind.
To help you make the right decision in your quest for the perfect toy, here is a look at the many different toy options available to choose from, along with a detailed list of some of the best toys for pugs out there. This article will conclude by answering some of the most frequently asked questions that may arise in your search – helping you narrow down your options so that you can find a perfect toy that is safe, age-appropriate, and enhances your pug’s life.
What are the Best Dog Toys for Pugs?
- Best Overall – Nina Ottoson By Outward Hound’s Hide ‘n Slide
- Most Affordable – Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy
- Most Popular – KONG Cozie Marvin the Moose Plush Dog Toy
- Best Puppy Toy – Nylabone Teething Pacifier Puppy Chew Toy
- Best Interactive (Puzzle) Toy – Trixie Activity Flip Board
- Best Plush Toy – Kong Floppy Knots Dog Toy
- Pet Zone IQ Treat Dispenser Ball
- KONG Classic Dog Toy
- Nylabone Durachew Textured Ring
- KONG Squeezz Ball
- Petstages Dogwood Tough Chew Toy
- Nylabone Durachew Dinosaur Dental Chew Toy
7 Different Types of Toys for Pugs
You may not have paid much thought to all of the different activities available for your dog, but there are actually quite a few! Here’s an overview of the seven primary types of toys for pugs, including tennis balls, chew toys, frisbees, squeakers, interactive toys, puzzle toys, and plush toys.
- Tennis Balls. Dog-friendly tennis balls are a wonderful toy option for a pug of any age, especially those who enjoy playing fetch. Typically, you can find safe, pug-friendly tennis balls in a wide variety of colors, sizes, and materials. However, do not confuse a tennis ball designed especially for a dog with a tennis ball that you’d use to play a game of tennis with. That’s because dog-friendly tennis balls are made with safe materials that do not damage the enamel on your dog’s teeth, and they are also designed to prevent choking.
- Chew Toys. When it comes to chew toys for your pug, the sky is the limit! From bacon-infused bones to plush dinosaurs – there is sure to be a chew toy out there that your pug can fall in love with. In terms of materials available, chew toys are typically either made from rubber, plush fabrics, rope, or wood composite. You can also find edible chew toys made from safe ingredients.
- Frisbees are another wonderful toy that your pug may enjoy playing with. Similar to dog-friendly tennis balls, dog-friendly frisbees are also specifically made for dogs and use safe materials. You can easily find classic style frisbees made from rubber, which are great for pugs who love to play fetch. If you find that your pug is afraid of or hesitant to play with a rubber frisbee, you can also find lightweight frisbees made with cloth.
- Squeaker toys are another favorite among pugs of all ages. Unlike chew toys that do not make any sound at all, squeaker toys have a small plastic ‘squeaker’ on the inside that makes a high-pitched squeaking sound when played with. This sound is very stimulating and rewarding for your pug to hear, and it also encourages them to continue playing.
- Interactive dog toys are much more complex and typically feature built-in games to entertain and keep your pug busy. Some interactive toys are as simple as a rubber ball where you can hide treats on the inside, while others are even more complex and simulate common activities like digging, fetching, and hunting. Due to their complexity, interactive toys typically require you to supervise your dog while they are playing, to help ensure that they do not choke.
- Puzzle Toys. Similar to interactive dog toys, puzzle toys are also more complex and are designed to stimulate your dog’s mind. Common puzzles featured in this type of toy are mazes, hide and seek, and slider-style games. Puzzle toys are great for keeping your pug busy during the day when you may not have time to give them your full attention. However, do bear in mind that more complex puzzle toys with lots of pieces may require your supervision.
- Plush Toy. Plush toys are made from soft yet durable materials and are typically used for chewing, fetching, or providing comfort. They are available in a wide range of sizes and colors, and they typically resemble a cute critter or a type of food. If your pug enjoys toys that make sounds, you can find plush toys that feature squeaker boxes or crinkle sounds. The only downside to plush toys is that they are not always the best option for dogs who tend to play rough, as they can tear apart more easily when compared to rubber toys.
The Best Toys for Pugs Reviewed
|Our 2020 Picks: Best Pug Toys|
|Nina Ottosson by Outward Hound Hide N’ Slide
|Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball Tough Dog Toy
|KONG Cozie Marvin The Moose Plush Dog Toy
|Nylabone Teething Pacifier Puppy Chew Toy
|Trixie Mini Mover Activity Strategy Game Dog Toy
|KONG Floppy Knots Dog Toy
|Pet Zone IQ Treat Dispenser Ball Dog Toy
|KONG Classic Dog Toy
|Nylabone DuraChew Textured Ring Flavor Medley
|KONG Squeezz Ball Dog Toy
|Petstages Dogwood Tough Dog Chew Toy
|Nylabone DuraChew Dental Chew Chicken Flavored Dinosaur
- 7 secret compartments to hide treats
- Durable construction
- Quality materials (polypropylene and wood)
- Elevated play for short-nosed dogs
Best Overall – The Nina Ottosson by Outward Hound is a beautifully designed puzzle dog toy perfect for your pug that enjoys challenges and mental stimulation. Crafted from a polypropylene and wood composite material, this toy features seven hidden compartments where you can hide food or treats for your dog to find.
This toy’s design also features elevated play, making it a suitable option for dogs with shorter noses – especially pugs! Bear in mind though that it’s recommended to supervise your dog while they play to ensure their safety, so it’s not a great option for those looking for a toy to leave at home with their pet unsupervised.
- Multiple compartments and combinations to keep dog’s interest
- Long-lasting, durable, and safe material
- Suitable for short-nosed dogs
- Mentally stimulating and challenging for pugs of all ages
- Not ideal for unsupervised play
- Only one color available
- Bouncy material
- Brightly colored
- Extra-thick rubber core
- Floats in the water
Best Value – The Chuckit! Ultra Rubber Ball toy is priced just below $5.00 for two balls and has the potential to provide your pup with hours of fun! Made with an extra-thick rubber core, this ball is both bouncy and super durable. Its bright color also makes playing fetch outside together easy, and you will never have to worry about it landing in water since it can float!
If you’ve always used a tennis ball to play fetch with your pug but didn’t realize the dangers associated with it, this toy is a great replacement option and will last.
- Extremely durable
- Suitable for outdoor play near water
- Great visibility
- Compatible with other Chuckit! Products
- No scent
- No teething benefits
- Made with soft and durable materials
- Built-in squeak feature
- 2 different sizes available
- Crafted with limited filling to reduce mess
Most Popular – The KONG Cozie Marvin the Moose toy is a cute and cuddly plush toy made with durable materials and features a built-in squeaker. This particular plush toy comes with an added layer of polyester, helping it stay intact and stand up against your pug who may be an intense chewer.
Additionally, the Cozie Marvin also comes with a minimal amount of stuffing inside, helping to ensure an easy clean-up in the event of a puncture. Also available in two different sizes (Small and Medium), this toy is a great option for both puppies and adult pugs alike!
- Extreme durability
- Minimal mess
- Flexible sizing options
- Exciting and fun internal squeak-box
- No scent
- No compartments for hiding treats
- 2 chew toys on one ring
- Helps to reduce plaque and tartar build-up
- Fun, bright colors
- Raised nubs to stimulate gums and teeth
- Bacon flavored
Best Pugs Puppy Toy – The Nylabone Teething Pacifier is perfect for your puppy going through pain related to teething. This option is essentially two toys in one, as it comes with two separate pacifiers connected together on one ring. Both pacifiers come with raised nubs to stimulate your puppy’s gums and help to alleviate pain.
In addition to its wonderful teething features, this toy also comes in a delicious bacon flavor, which helps to keep your puppy interested and coming back.
- Vet recommended
- 2 in one toy
- Designed specifically for teething puppies
- Flavoring to keep pugs interested and engaged
- No hidden compartments for extra stimulation
- Internal knotted rope and squeaker
- Minimal stuffing to reduce mess
- Cheerful, floppy design
- Polyester material
Best Plush Toys for Pugs – The KONG Floppy Knots dog toy may look cute and cuddly on the outside, but on the inside, it is super tough and can withstand even the roughest of chewers!
The inside of this toy features a knotted rope, which helps with durability and gives your pug something sturdy to chew on. Additionally, there is also an internal squeaker box which helps to keep your pug entertained even when they are playing by themselves. Like other KONG toys, this toy also comes with minimal stuffing on the inside to prevent a big mess – just in case!
- Extra durable on the inside and outside
- Cute design (Fox or Bunny options available)
- Appropriate for both solo and group play
- Not too messy
- No scent
- No hidden compartment to hide food or treats
7 More Top Rated Toys for Pugs
The Pet Zone IQ Treat Dispenser is an interactive toy option for your pug in need of some mental stimulation. This toy is shaped like a ball, but inside there is a treat compartment that slowly dispenses treats as your pug plays with it. As a bonus feature, you can also adjust the difficulty setting to challenge or pup or help them gain some confidence. This is also a wonderful option if your pug has recently gained weight, as it can help to slow the pace of eating and promote healthy digestion.
The KONG Classic dog toy is a long-standing favorite among dog owners worldwide. Its simple, all-natural rubber material is safe for playing and chewing. Not only that, but it features an internal space to stuff your dog’s favorite treat inside. Another great feature about KONG is that they make this particular toy in four different variations suitable for regular dogs, puppies, senior dogs, extreme players/chewers.
The Nylabone DuraChew toy comes in the shape of a ring and is a tasty chicken flavor. It also features a multi-textured design, which helps to clean your pug’s teeth while they play and chew. This particular toy is extremely durable and is intended for dogs who are intense chewers. There are also several sizes available to suit your pug of any age!
The KONG Squeezz Ball is a budget-friendly ball toy option that is much safer for your pug than a classic tennis ball. Made from a durable rubber material, this toy is ideal for playing fetch with your pug both indoors and outdoors. It also has a hidden squeaker inside, making individual play for your pug also fun. While this toy does not have any scents, it does come in 4 different bright colors to spark your pup’s attention.
This unique chew toy is made with real wood and is designed to be a safer and cleaner alternative to a stick. Combining wood with polypropylene, this chew toy is both durable and non-toxic and comes in a shape perfect for playing fetch together! In addition to looking like a piece of wood from a tree, this toy also features a natural wood smell that keeps your dog engaged and entertained.
The Nylabone DuraChew toy is perfect for pugs who love chicken and do a lot of intense chewing! Made of durable, chicken-flavored nylon and featuring a unique nubbed texture, this toy not only keeps your pup entertained, but it also helps to clean their teeth at the same time. Not only that, but it has a cute and quirky dinosaur shape that comes in 6 different sizes between puppy-sized and extra-large.
Frequently Asked Questions
- My pug is older, would they still enjoy playing with a toy? The short answer to this question is yes! The long answer – just because your pug is older, that doesn’t mean they are unable to find joy in playtime. Older pups can still enjoy a gentle game of fetch in the house, and they may even enjoy something interactive like a puzzle. In many cases, you may even find that your older dog enjoys playing with different kinds of toys than they did when they were younger – and that’s okay! If you notice your aging pup’s playtime habits changing, try experimenting with a few different kinds of toys to see if something new catches their attention. You won’t know until you try! Do be aware though that aging pugs may experience more dental issues as they age, so try to find something that is vet-approved and easy on their teeth.
- What are the toys to keep my pug busy during the day? The best toys for keeping your pup busy during the day are puzzle or interactive style toys. These toys are designed to stimulate your pug’s mind and provide them with some entertainment. They are also great for reducing boredom that your dog experience while you are doing other things. However, if your dog is home alone during the day, try to find a basic puzzle or interactive toy that is suitable for unsupervised play, and always double-check the instructions before leaving your pet with a toy unsupervised.
- How do I encourage my pug to play with their new toy? Sometimes dogs are shy or wary of new toys in the home. If you have just bought them a new toy and they seem disinterested or afraid of it, the worst thing you can do is stress them out by forcing it upon them. Instead, try placing the toy in a safe spot and leaving it alone for a few days. You may find that your pug will warm up to the toy on their own without your help.
- What are the best types of toys for teeth/gum health? If your pug is struggling with plaque or tartar build-up on their teeth, there are a number of different toys that you can purchase to help! For starters, try to find a chew toy that features nubs or ridges on the exterior. When brushed up against your pup’s teeth, this texture will help with plaque and tartar removal. Your vet may also have a different toy recommendation for dental help, so make sure to ask the next time you’re in for a visit.
- What types of toys should I get for my pug that is teething? If your puppy is teething, you should consider purchasing a chew toy that is advertised specifically as a teething toy intended to be ‘soothing’ for puppies. Typically, these toys can be easily frozen in the freezer and then given to your pup to soothe and relieve their pain related to teething. Again, your vet may also have some more specific recommendations for this.
There are a lot of different factors to consider when searching for the perfect toy for your pug – however, making a thoughtful decision is not impossible!
A few basic aspects to consider ahead of time include:
- The age of your pug
- The personality of your pug, and
- The lifestyle of your household – for example, the amount of time you spend playing with your pug vs. the amount of time they spend playing with toys alone.
Once you have your key priorities, it will be easy to narrow down your choices and find the before toy for your pug’s special occasion.
It is also important to bear in mind that with dog toys, you can never go wrong with experimenting and encouraging your pug to try something new! If your pug has always enjoyed playing fetch with a bouncy ball, why not try a frisbee? If they are getting bored with their basic interactive toy, why not try a more complicated puzzle? You may never you’re your pug’s next favorite toy if you don’t give them something new and fresh to try.