When you imagine a cat, you probably picture it with a thick, fluffy coat. Cats are notorious for spending the majority of their time grooming and sleeping – what would a cat do if it didn’t have any fur? Does such a cat even exist? It does!
The Sphynx cat is a medium-sized breed known for appearing hairless. Though these cats don’t have the type of coat you’d see on another cat, most are covered in a soft layer of peach fuzz. Just because this breed doesn’t have the typical cat coat, however, doesn’t mean they don’t require grooming. Skin care is extremely important for the Sphynx and that means bathing.
In this article, we’ll explore the sphynx cat breed including what makes it unique and how to properly groom these cats. You’ll also see our top picks for the best sphynx cat bath products.
What Is The Best Sphynx Cat Shampoo?
- Earthbath Hypoallergenic Dog & Cat Shampoo
- Burt’s Bees Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo
- Espree Natural Kitten Shampoo with Aloe Vera
- Richard’s Organics Moisturizing Shampoo
- Frisco Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Puppies & Kittens
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Essential Oils
- TropiClean Hypoallergenic Gentle Coconut Puppy & Kitten
- Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- GNC Pets Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo
- Paws & Pals Oatmeal, Shea Butter & Aloe Vera Shampoo
All About the Sphynx Cat Breed
The Sphynx cat breed hit the scene in the 1960s and their hairless appearance is the result of a genetic mutation. Over the past few decades, the breed has been refined and has become popular among celebrities including Kat Von D, Demi Lovato, and Lena Dunham. Though their hairlessness is what makes these cats stand out, it isn’t the only thing that makes them lovable and unique.
What many Sphynx owners would agree is most special about their cat is the breed’s social nature. Sphynx cats absolutely love people and they can be very demanding when it comes to attention. These cats can be very vocal as well – when they want something, they’ll let you know!
Grooming Tips for Sphynx Cats
All cats produce natural oils in their skin that keeps it soft and moisturized. When a cat grooms, those oils become evenly distributed over the coat. Because a Sphynx cat doesn’t have a thick covering of fur, that oil can be left behind on bedding, leaving greasy stains. The amount of oil your cat’s skin produces is affected by the quality of his diet, but even a Sphynx on a high-quality diet requires regular bathing.
Here are some grooming tips for Sphynx cats:
- Wipe your cat clean once or twice a week with a cat grooming wipe or a damp washcloth with a little hypoallergenic cat shampoo.
- Give your cat a bath in lukewarm to warm water about once or twice a month – only use shampoo made for cats, not humans.
- Choose Sphynx cat grooming supplies made with natural, hypoallergenic ingredients that will be gentle on his skin – avoid harsh chemicals.
- After bathing or wiping down your cat’s skin, it’s important to dry him off quickly to prevent the skin from becoming chapped – use a soft, clean towel and pat him dry.
- Check your cat’s ears at least once a week and clean them as needed to prevent the accumulation of ear wax and ear infections.
Now that you understand a little more about Sphynx cat care and the role grooming plays in keeping your cat healthy, you’re ready to learn more about what to bathe a Sphynx cat with. Read on to see our top picks for the best cat shampoo for Sphynx cats.
The 10 Best Cat Shampoos for a Sphynx
It’s important to choose a cat shampoo that will clean your cat’s skin without drying it out or dehydrating it. Coconut-based cleansers do a good job of removing excess oil without dehydrating the skin. Sphynx cat bath products enriched with vitamins E and D are good for the skin and coat as well. If your cat struggles with skin irritation, soothing and healing ingredients like aloe vera and oatmeal may be beneficial additions to the recipe.
Here are our top 10 picks for the best sphynx cat shampoo:
|Our 2022 Picks: Best Sphynx Cat Shampoo|
|Earthbath Hypoallergenic Dog & Cat Shampoo
|Burt’s Bees Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo
|Espree Natural Kitten Shampoo
|Richard’s Organics Moisturizing Shampoo
|Frisco Hypoallergenic Shampoo
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo
|TropiClean Hypoallergenic Gentle
|Veterinary Formula Clinical Care
|GNC Pets Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo
|Paws & Pals Oatmeal, Shea Butter & Aloe Vera
When it comes to natural cat shampoo, Earthbath is the name many pet owners trust. This Earthbath Hypoallergenic Dog & Cat Shampoo is a great option for your Sphynx cat because it is hypoallergenic and specifically designed for cats with sensitive skin and allergies. This formula features gentle coconut-based cleansers with soothing aloe vera, plus it is enriched with skin-supporting vitamins. You’ll be glad to know that this formula is completely free from harsh, irritating ingredients like parabens, phosphate, and sulfates in addition to being fragrance free.
Pros: Safe for kittens over 6 weeks, free from fragrance and dye, good for sensitive and irritated skin
Cons: May not lather as well as some shampoos
Made with 99.7% natural ingredients, this Burt’s Bees Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo is another great choice. This formula features moisturizing shea butter to soothe and hydrate your cat’s skin. It is pH balanced for cats to avoid skin irritation and doesn’t contain any sulfates, artificial color, or essential oils. This hypoallergenic cat shampoo gently cleans your cat’s coat without stripping away too much moisture and it has a nice, subtle fragrance.
Pros: Made with 99.7% natural ingredients, pH-balanced for cats, shea butter to moisturize skin
Cons: Some users found the scent a little too strong
Sphynx cats are known for having sensitive skin which can make it tough to choose the right shampoo. This Espree Natural Kitten Shampoo with Aloe Vera is a great option because it is uniquely formulated for kittens in a gentle, hypoallergenic formula that will be mild on your cat’s sensitive skin. Made with organically grown aloe vera, this formula soothes and hydrates dry and irritated skin while jojoba oil is naturally moisturizing. Sphynx cats love how soft this shampoo leaves their skin and cat owners love that they can trust the gentle formula.
Pros: Mild and gentle formula, made with organically grown aloe vera, hydrating jojoba oil
Cons: Some users found the scent artificial and unpleasant
The Sphynx cat is prone to a number of skin issues. Without fur to protect them, their sensitive skin can be damaged by the sun and by allergies or irritation from household products. This Richard’s Organics Moisturizing Shampoo is the perfect solution to soothe itchy, irritated skin while restoring moisture and reducing inflammation. This cat shampoo features natural ingredients like sweet almond oil to hydrate the skin and echinacea for its healing properties. It also contains ingredients designed to promote skin cell repair while leaving your cat’s skin soft and smooth.
Pros: Ultra-nourishing with natural ingredients, coconut oil-based cleansers, soothes irritation
Cons: May not lather as well as some formulas, some users found the scent too strong
If you’re looking for an inexpensive option in Sphynx cat bath products, this Frisco Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Puppies & Kittens could be the perfect fit. Priced under $10, this shampoo is safe and gentle enough for puppies and kittens. This shampoo is completely free from harsh, irritating ingredients like parabens and artificial dye, plus it is completely fragrance-free. Made with plant-derived and coconut-based cleansers, this gentle formula cleans without dehydrating your cat’s skin and it contains added vitamins to support skin health.
Pros: Gentle for kittens and sensitive skin, plant-derived cleansers, aloe vera juice for hydration
Cons: Some users disliked the lack of scent
Your Sphynx cat’s sensitive skin requires a gentle, hypoallergenic formula made with skin-nourishing ingredients. This HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Essential Oils is a great option because it is formulated for sensitive skin and made without harsh, irritating chemicals. This shampoo is soap-free and non-drying, enriched with natural moisturizing ingredients to maintain your cat’s skin hydration. It also contains protein for healthy skin condition and is pH balanced specifically for cats.
Pros: Soap-free formula, controls flaking and scaling, promotes hydration and nourishes skin
Cons: Contains some added fragrance
Because the Sphynx cat requires frequent bathing, you may want to stock up on your favorite shampoo. This TropiClean Hypoallergenic Gentle Coconut Puppy & Kitten Shampoo is a great option for the Sphynx and it comes in a 1-gallon bottle. Made with gentle coconut cleansers, this hypoallergenic formula is perfect for sensitive skin and it won’t interfere with flea and tick treatments. This shampoo gently cleanses your cat’s skin while aloe vera soothes and replenishes moisture, resulting in a fresh and healthy clean your cat will feel for days.
Pros: Gentle coconut-based cleansers, convenient 1-gallon bottle, hypoallergenic formula
Cons: May not lather as well as some products, some users disliked the scent
To give your Sphynx cat a clean veterinarians trust, use this Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hypoallergenic Shampoo. This hypoallergenic formula is uniquely designed for sensitive skin and made to be entirely free from parabens, soap, and dyes. It is supplemented with skin-supporting ingredients like vitamin E and lactic acid which help repair and maintain the skin’s natural moisture barrier.
Pros: Great for sensitive skin, supports skin’s natural hydration, free from artificial fragrance
Cons: Not recommended for very young kittens
Your cat’s skin has a different pH than your own, so he requires a shampoo uniquely formulated for cats. This GNC Pets Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo is the perfect option because it is pH-balanced and designed for cats with sensitive skin. A gentle, hypoallergenic formula this recipe contains soothing aloe vera and oatmeal but is completely free from artificial fragrance and dye.
Pros: Gentle for dry and sensitive skin, pH-balanced for cat skin, free from fragrances and dyes
Cons: Some users found the scent too strong
Keeping your Sphynx cat’s skin clean and moisturized is important and this Paws & Pals Oatmeal, Shea Butter & Aloe Vera Shampoo will help you do it. This all-natural, vegan formula is made with premium ingredients including aloe vera as well as jojoba and coconut oils to relieve itching and irritation. Oatmeal and shea butter soothe dry skin and restore moisture to help your cat look and feel his best. You’ll also be glad to know that it is safely made in the USA and gentle enough for regular use.
Pros: Gentle soap-free formula, cleans and conditions the skin, relieves itching and dryness
Cons: May be difficult to rinse out, contains some added fragrance
Frequently Asked Questions
- How often should I bathe my Sphynx cat? To keep your Sphynx cat clean, you’ll probably need to bath him once or twice a month. You’ll start to get a feel for how long your cat can go before he starts leaving oil stains on your furniture – that’s when you know it’s definitely time for a bath. If you don’t want to give your cat a full bath that often, take a damp washcloth and a little shampoo to freshen him up once or twice a week. You can also purchase hypoallergenic grooming wipes for in-between baths.
- How do I clean my Sphynx cat’s ears? You should make it a habit to check your Sphynx cat’s ears at least once a week for buildup of ear wax. If you don’t keep his ears clean, your cat could develop ear infections which can become painful. All you need to clean your cat’s ears is a few cotton pads and some cat ear cleaning solution. Squeeze a few drops into each ear then massage the base of the ear to distribute the solution. Use the cotton pad to wipe away ear wax and excess solution then let the ears air dry.
- Can I use human skincare products on my Sphynx? No, any Sphynx cat grooming supplies you use should be specifically formulated for cats. Your cat’s skin has a different pH than your own and Sphynx cats have particularly sensitive skin. Using the wrong products could dry out or irritate your cat’s skin and make existing skin problems worse.
- What skin problems are common in Sphynx cats? All cats are prone to their share of health issues and, in Sphynx cats, the most common are hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and dental issues. On top of these issues, Sphynx cats are prone to certain skin problems due to their lack of hair. The Sphynx cat is prone to sunburn and they can develop acne as well. Allergies and skin infections may also be more obvious on Sphynx cats because they don’t have fur to cover up the symptoms.
Your Sphynx is unique and special in every way. You would do anything to make sure your cat is happy and healthy, so don’t skip bath time! It’s important not to over-bathe your Sphynx, but regular grooming will keep his skin soft and his oil production under control. Check out our recommendations for the best Sphynx cat shampoo above.