Many cat litters create a lot of dust when poured and used in a litter box, causing problems for the cat or the cat owner. Not only is that dust bad for asthmatic cats and owners, but it can create an odor that lingers – even when the litter box is cleaned.
- Clean and effective
- Free monthly delivery
- Risk Free 30 day trial
When searching for cat litters that will help eliminate that problem, you are going to want to look for a dust-free litter so that you and your cat can both remain healthy, along with eliminating that odor that we all know and loathe.
Below, we are going to take a look at the best cat litters for asthmatic cat owners so that you can make the most informed choice when it comes to purchasing dust-free litter. Some litters run higher than others, but you are sure to find one to fit your budget. There are also other things to consider when buying litter, such as clumping and tracking, which are important for some cat owners.
On top of health and price, you will learn why buying dust free litter is better all around than traditional litter. Your cat will love you for making this change for them, and you will feel better as well once you learn all the benefits of going with a dust-free litter. The health of you and your cat is paramount, and deciding to buy one of these litters will pay off in no time.
What are the Best Cat Litter for Asthmatic Cats or Cat Owners?
- Overall Best – Pretty Litter
- Most Affordable – Frisco Multi-Cat Fresh Scented Clumping Clay Litter
- Most Popular – Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Ultra Unscented Clumping Clay
- Tidy Cats Instant Action Scented Clumping Clay Cat Litter
- Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Respiratory Relief Unscented Clumping
- Naturally Fresh Multi-Cat Unscented Clumping Walnut Cat Litter
- Arm & Hammer Litter Clump & Seal Multi-Cat Scented Clumping
The Best Cat Litters for Asthmatic Cats
|Our 2021 Picks: Best Cat Litters for Asthmatic Cats|
|Frisco Multi-Cat Fresh Scented Clumping Clay
|Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Ultra Unscented Clumping
|Tidy Cats Instant Action Scented Clumping Clay
|Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Respiratory Relief Unscented
|Naturally Fresh Multi-Cat Unscented Clumping Walnut
|Arm & Hammer Litter Clump & Seal Multi-Cat Scented
When it comes to purchasing cat litter, it can be difficult to know where to start. With endless options online or in-store, how do you know which brands live up to the hype? From best-selling options to budget picks that’ll give you all the value you need, we’ve got in-depth reviews of the best dust free cat litter asthma around.
- Made of super-absorbent, lightweight silica gel.
- Less clumping alleviates heavy bags when emptying, and urine and odor are absorbed, leaving only solid waste to empty.
- Pretty Litter reacts to urinary elements turning it a certain color that will indicate if your cat has a particular issue.
- Odor elimination lets you keep your litter box in small areas, and the typical smell that comes out of a litter box will be almost nonexistent.
- Sold on the Pretty Litter website as a subscription, not available in stores.
Best Smelling – Pretty Litter is a top of the line litter that gives you everything you are looking for in a dust-free cat litter. The silica gel crystals provide a way for the urine and odor to be absorbed and not clump like other litters. As a result, the urine and odor get trapped inside the crystals, and the water can evaporate.
The dust-free product is a friend to all furry felines and also their owners. The long-lasting litter will last up to a month per bag. Its long-lasting quality is especially great for busy owners that don’t always have the time to change litter multiple times a week.
So, instead of having to change the litter box once a week or every other week, enjoy knowing that with the absorbing silica gel, the mess and smell will be nothing like it usually is when you buy Pretty Litter.
- Helps monitor your cat’s health because it reacts to certain urine elements and turns different urine colors if your cat has kidney disease, bladder stones, urinary tract infection, and other issues.
- Pretty Litter will eliminate the odor that is synonymous with cat urine and feces.
- The automatic subscription sends your litter straight to your front door every month.
- With cats being notorious for hiding illness, this litter is perfect with the litter changing color to detect any illness with your cat
- Comes with a 30-day risk-free guarantee.
- Price is higher than most litter at $22 a bag (four-pound bag) if you only have one cat.
- The amount of litter sent may not last the whole month
- The changing of color in the urine could be false positives or negatives and may cost you a vet bill for nothing.
- Perfect for houses with multiple cats, the fresh-scented litter allows for a better smelling house even with more than one cat.
- Solid clumping of litter allows for easy cleaning of the litter box.
- Every time the cat digs up litter after use, a fresh scent is released to help eliminate bad smells.
Best Value – Frisco’s multi-cat fresh-scented clumping clay litter comes in at a good price and is one to look at hard if you have more than one cat in your household. The litter is low dust and low tracking, which helps for the asthmatic cat or owner and helps keep litter from being tracked across your house as well.
The litter is made for high traffic boxes where multiple cats use daily. With non-stop odor control, it doesn’t matter how many cats go in and out of the box, you are sure to keep the area, and your house is smelling fresh.
- Non-stop odor control lets multiple cats use the box multiple times a day and keeps smelling fresh.
- The intense clumping action allows for easy cleaning by the owner and allows for the clumps to stay intact and not fall apart like some litters.
- Low tracking cuts down on the amount of litter that the cats will take out of the litter box onto your floors.
- The soft texture of the litter allows for easy digging for your cat and easy scooping for you.
- Comes in a 28 or 40-pound bag, which could be heavy for some who purchase.
- It is not as dust-free as other litters. While still better than a lot, it still has some dust.
- It may not have odor control compared to some other litters on the list.
- 99.9% dust-free, hypoallergenic litter.
- Moisture absorbing to eliminate odor.
- Premium clay so that you get maximum clumping for easy pickup.
- Comes in three different sizes, 18, 20, or 40 pounds
- You will not have to change the box very often.
Best Selling – Dr. Elsey’s cat litter is the best selling cat litter on the market for dust-free litter. The non-tracking and clay to provide clumping that will not fall apart make for a litter with everything you need and want in a cat litter. It provides easy clean up with the clumping and is perfect for those with sifting or mechanical litter boxes.
Dr. Elsey, a veterinarian, formulated the litter to know that your cat’s best interest is paramount when buying this product. The low dust is one of the best out there for a hypoallergenic cat. The clay allows clumping almost immediately and doesn’t allow the liquid to get to the box’s bottom.
Dr. Elsey’s provides an all in one litter that can be used for multiple cats and gives you peace of mind knowing that your cat is taken care of by a veterinarian made litter. When it comes to who knows best with litter, a veterinarian will be one of the top sources.
- Virtually dust-free, making it one of the best dust free cat litters on the market
- Fast absorbing clay does not allow the liquid to get to the bottom of the box.
- Great for multi-cat households
- Go from scooping once a day to once a week with Dr. Elsey’s.
- Clay clumps into large balls that do not break
- Comes in sizes ranging from 18-40 pounds, so you can get as much or as little as you want.
- The litter comes in a bag that can become damaged during shipping and leak litter.
- The hard clay clumps can become a nuisance for the cat’s paws.
- The clumps may also be difficult to get out for the owner. It could get stuck on the box, making it tough to scoop.
Other Top Rated Cat Litters For Asthmatic Owners
Now that you have seen the best of litters, here are a few more options to consider if you still are not ready to commit just yet. For each of the next four litters, we will provide more features, facts, and other things for you to consider. Each one has its things that stand out, and we want to highlight those things and more. By the time you finish reading, you should be ready to make an informed decision.
The Tidy Cats Instant Action cat litter gives the cat owner everything they need to a litter. The exclusive bicomponent system eliminates urine, feces, and ammonia smells almost completely. The anti-dust coating also provides little dust and tracking from your cat to help with owner allergies.
The litter comes in convenient sizes that come in jugs, pails, boxes, or bags and sizes of 14, 25, 30, and 40 pounds. The design of the clumping clay litter helps trap odors immediately for all in one control. The litter is made to provide multiple cats with freshness and comfort.
Dr. Elsey makes its second appearance with their respiratory relief cat litter to help control cats’ respiratory diseases with its low in dust and hypoallergenic litter. There are no perfumes, deodorants, or plant proteins and are replaced with natural essences. The natural essences reduce stress, which is important in reducing respiratory disease in cats.
Like other Dr. Elsey litters, this one works well with mechanical/sifting litter boxes. The litter is unscented with superior odor control to eliminate unwanted smells if you have people over your house. The clay helps with clumping and unwanted breaking of clumps when trying to empty. You can find Dr. Elsey products on chewy.com.
Naturally Fresh arrives with something that you have not seen in a litter that has been listed yet. Their litter is made from 100% walnut shells and contains no chemicals, toxins, clay, corn, and grains so that your cat is protected. The litter is also biodegradable, which is perfect for those looking for eco-friendly litter.
The all-natural walnut shells eliminate the odor with a malodor counteractant and take care of odors better than other litter products. The litter is also free of silica for those cat owners with asthma. The formula is also helpful in reducing the tracking of litter across the house by the cats.
Arm & Hammer calls themselves the odor elimination expert, so you know that you are getting an odor-free litter when you see their brand. Along with that, you also have low dust that allows strong clumping to allow better clean up. The ultra-low dust allows you and your cat to breathe better.
The clumping clay makes clumps solid as a rock to allow easy cleanup and create less tracking. Arm & Hammer also offers a seven-day odor-free guarantee. Each size litter comes in a solid box for sturdiness. A blend of moisture-activated micro granules seals in the odor to give you a house free of urine and feces smells.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
There are many questions to be asked about buying the best cat litter for respiratory problems. Even with the reviews above, that doesn’t mean you know everything about purchasing dust free cat litter.
It is imperative for your health and your cat’s health that every question is answered so that you both will remain happy and healthy.
- What is the benefit of using dust-free litter? Dust-free litter, first and foremost, is good for your cat’s health as well as your health, especially if you have asthma or other respiratory problems. They are also good for the environment because of the lack of perfumes and other fragrances. Dusty litter boxes can also cause stress for a cat, so less dust means a happy cat.
- Is litter with dust in it bad for cats? It depends on what chemicals are in the litter. Many litters have chemicals and other perfumes in them that can cause respiratory problems with cats, and in turn, those problems will cause stress for the cat. The dust can cause a cat to be diagnosed with feline asthma, causing respiratory problems for a cat.
- What is the difference between scented and unscented litters? Unscented litters are better for a cat’s health, and pickier cats seem to prefer unscented litter to scented litter. Scented litter can contain fragrances that mix with the odors or mask it but can cause an unpleasant smell. Both options have their pros and cons, and it comes down to owner preference which one you choose. The pros of unscented litter are that it does not contain perfumes, deodorizers, or other artificial agents. That means that you are getting the all-natural ingredients, but on the other hand, the con would be that those deodorizers help mask the smell of the urine and feces that the cats leave in the litter box. Unscented litter retains the smell of whatever it is made out of, such as wood, clay, etc.
- What are the benefits of eco-friendly cat litter? Eco-friendly cat litter is a biodegradable litter, contains zero toxins, renewable, and all-natural. These products make biodegradable litter safe for the environment compared to ones with clay in them that have been proven over time to cause harm to the environment. Some forms of this litter can be flushed down the toilet as well.
- Why does clumping matter in cat litter? The bentonite in some litters causes the litter to clump when it absorbs the urine and feces. When you get large clumps of litter due to urine and feces, it is easier for the cat owner to clean out the litter box. Large clumps that do not fall apart make the dirty task of cleaning a litter box much easier.
- Is clumping cat litter safe for your cat? Clumping cat litter is safe for cats to use as long as large amounts of it are not ingested. The ingredients in clumping litter are entirely safe, and it can only cause issues other than an upset stomach if ingested in large quantities, which is not a problem for most older cats. If you have a small kitten, it may be best to try a different litter until they are older.
- When should you change your cat litter? You want to scoop out the least dusty cat litter every other day, if not every day. Once to twice a month, you should change out the litter entirely. To have the best results scoop and change the litter as often as you can.
When it comes to finding a cat litter for cats and owners with asthma, there are plenty of choices out there for you to look through. There are different sizes, prices, and ways to buy the litter that is best for you and your cat’s health. You want to do your research when making a decision, such as finding a litter that will provide everything you need.
Dustless cat litter is not always going to give you 100% dust-free. Still, it will provide you with minimal dust that will help eliminate your cat’s chances of developing a respiratory issue and provide you with less worry when you pour new litter and change the old.
Clumping, eco-friendly, and whether the litter can be used for multiple cat households are all other things that you will want to check out before making a decision. Throughout this article, we have given you many options and broke down everything you need to know about each one.
Some require a subscription that automatically renews, some you can purchase on sites such as Chewy or Amazon, and others you can buy at your local grocery store. Whatever route you decide to take when purchasing a cat litter will lead you to the best dust free cat litter for asthma.